Visitor
syllver23
Accepted Solution

need Arris TG862G in bridge mode with DHCP disabled voice support unable to help

[ Edited ]

I just installed a new replacement modem, and it happens to be a gateway and a modem all in one and no longer cooperated with my router like the old modem did. I need my Arris TG862G to be in bridged mode and completely disable DHCP/ turn off wireless and have it only act as a modem and let my own equipment handle routing. I am having connectivity issues on my PC with connecting to some websites, but not others, or loading one minute but not the next.

I have been on the customer support line a few times tonight; all were unable to fix the problem. They say they turned bridge mode on, but the modem is doing dhcp and they don't know how to disable that and that it's outside of their abilities so they sent me to signature support where they want to charge me money to change a setting on their own equipment. You’ve got to be kidding me, how is changing a setting in the advanced section of a modem that I lease outside the realm of technical support and part of my problem. This is like asking me to pay $80 to put in a junction box in order to restore the phone service. I’m very dissatisfied that this is the only solution they can offer.

If it was the modem should output a full ip address instead of putting me on a subnet 10.10.0.x. Right now it’s like what happened when you plug a router into another router, and then into another router, sure it works half hazard, intermittently, and slow.

Voice support is only capable of changing one or two settings on a modem, and asking to change anything else is directed to on-call paid support. I just want to bridge my modem, disable DHCP on the modem, and disable wireless. Please help me with this, I’m not asking anyone to help me setup my own router or switch, just properly configuring the modem which I lease from you guys.

Thanks much

Visitor
cdaj1620

Re: need Arris TG862G in bridge mode with DHCP disabled voice support unable to help

Good luck.  I'm having the same problem with the same model.  I actually talked to about 10-12 different Customer support "techs" that obviously didn't know what they were doing.  This seems to be a common problem that a lot of people had or are still having.  If you go through different threads on the forum you can see phone numbers linked for possible Tier 3 level network support that you will be on hold forever and never talk to anyone.  The most helpful information I can give you is to PM ComcastLarry.  Tell him what you need done and give him your account number and gateway model.  I just Pm'ed him around an hour ago so I can't tell you for sure if that works or not, but it's better then sitting on the phone trying to tell the customer support folks how to do their job.

Visitor
syllver23

Re: need Arris TG862G in bridge mode with DHCP disabled voice support unable to help

[ Edited ]

I'll give that a shot next as I have tried the phone numbers and my phone just sat on hold for 2 hours.

New Visitor
jstl3373

Tried 2 times to have the same modem bridged, was successful on the second attempt. Used Comcast phone prompts for "Having Speed Issues" with internet service. Technician immediately new what I wanted and shut the wireless router function off. The WIFI light will be "off" and only 6 lights will remain on, you will no longer be able to log into the modem using 10.0.0.1. Hope this helps!

Visitor
cdaj1620

@jstl3373---- Thank you for posting this.  I decided to give it a try and followed the same prompts that you did.  The 2nd person that I talked to FINALLY set it into bridge mode correctly.  A special shout out to the Customer Support Rep that I talked to, Jude.  If Jude didn't get it set up correctly I was going to cancel my Comcast service and go to FIOS.

Visitor
syllver23

They were unable to get the modem to work and said it might be defective since it wouldn't bridge. Decided to buy my own modem and return my leased modem. Plugged in my new modem, called customer service to activate took all of 5 minutes and it works perfectly now. while the TG862g might work for some people, it is ultimately a peice of junk for anyone who wants performance and reliability

New Visitor

This seems to be an issue that is still not resoved.  It took me eight frustrating calls to finally get a tech support person who understood that I did have the ability to put my Arris TG modem into bridge mode and turn off the wifi function, that only Comcast could do that.  What really frosted me was the repeated attempts to force me to buy their upgraded service plan, on top of paying the modem rental fee, to do something that only they can do.  However, very few of their techs seem to know how to do this.  With Comcasts previous "dated" modem, I had no issues except for slow speed.  After service capabilities were expanded for my area, I was told that I had to get the new Arris modem to take advantage of the new speeds.  Fine.  Except that the Arris will not allow my hard-wire devices to communicate to the internet unless it is placed into bridge mode.  And the Arris wifi, which I did not need, conflicted with my existing wifi system.  And there is no way the user can do either of those functions, switch the modem to bridge mode and turn off the wifi.  I hope Comcast will understand that the Arris TG modem is not a good solution to offer to anyone except customers that have a simple system and want to run their connected devices through wifi from the modem.

New Visitor
mikeiem2

Same problem with me. on the phone all day with comcast reps who dont have a clue.

Why didnt they just put Bridging and Disable WIFI in the ADMIN UI?? Seems like that would have solved the problem for everyone who has their own WIFI router already setup doing just fine.

I am calling FIOS!

bye bye comcast!

Visitor

I'm a new sucker for Comcast's appeal to get a new modem. I did - the TG862. I had to call them for help in setting it up. But, later I was looking at my connections and ALL I had were Wireless! The 3 wired connections I had through my D-Link 655 router were not even available as wired! So, thankfully I've been reading the forum and decided to update my router to a DIR-836L from D-Link, but still the same problem. Before I call them and complain, I'm wondering about hooking the old modem (TM602G/CT) back up and whether that is a possible solution? Any ideas before I start pulling my hair out?

New Visitor
vpofusa

I was able to get mine bridged mode by following this guys steps:

http://itswapshop.com/forums/how-do-you-put-comcast-xfinity-arris-tg862gct-full-bridge-mode

New Visitor
slupy79

hi, you guys are correct. there no bridge mode functions by logging to 10.0.0.1., but can be done by comcast tech or call center
interaction with grand slam GUI. took 3 mnts. my scenario was arris TG862G counteract with airport express. you'll experience this issues
with sporadic internet. ones bridge mode is achieve, arris become a standalone modem and ssid banished.
port 1 is the only one that will work, which to add to your secondary wifi!
I'm getting 50megs down & 19 up. thanks Comcast!