New Visitor

Comcast Home Page - Change it back!

I've noticed a change when I launch my IE to the Comcast site. You now have it set the page cursor into the Search the Web: location on your site instead of IE's Address bar. I HATE this! Please change it back to the way it was! Will you do this? Is there anyone else who's noticed and doesn't like it either?
Security Expert
CWH803

Re: Comcast Home Page - Change it back!

#1397341 said "I HATE this!, ".

The consensus is that at entry to a Comcast portal, the cursor should be positioned in the most likely field to be used. That field would be the first sign-in box.

My vote is for you to use the Tab key and for Comcast to retain the existing default cursor positioning into the sign-in box.

Signature: 127.0.0.1, Sweet 127.0.0.1 and I recommend all of these Anti-malware tools and Procedures. (updated May 2010)
Recognized Contributor

I don't believe I've ever seen any webpage that positions the cursor in the IE address bar. I'm not sure that's even possible.

A web page can position the cursor anywhere on itself, and in the case of the Comcast portal, that should be the sign-in box. After you've signed in, there's no "best place" to put the cursor. In fact, just about the only data-entry window, after you've signed in is the "search the web" box, so I don't know where else the cursor could be positioned. Would you rather have the cursor positioned in the "Get the weather for" box?
Email Expert
madylarian

> After you've signed in,
> there's no "best place" to put the cursor. In fact,
> just about the only data-entry window, after you've
> signed in is the "search the web" box, so I don't
> know where else the cursor could be positioned.
> Would you rather have the cursor positioned in the
> e "Get the weather for" box?

My home page link includes my username and password, so opening it automatically signs me in. And yes, the cursor is in the "Search the web" box, but then that is also the first dialog box on the page. I have a feeling that the cursor would be in whatever data-entry box happens to be first on the page.

That said I do find it kind of funny to have that search function there, on that page, since just about everyone with a computer already has chosen their search engine of choice and there's no hint about what search engine Comcast is using.

mady
Honi soit qui mal y pense
Recognized Contributor

> ... there's no hint about
> what search engine Comcast is using.

You mean other than the words "Powered by Google?"
Email Expert
madylarian

> You mean other than the words "Powered by Google?"

That would be a great hint if it appeared anywhere on the home page. It's not on mine; not even when I clicked on "More".

mady
Bronze Problem Solver

> > You mean other than the words "Powered by
> Google?"

>
> That would be a great hint if it appeared anywhere on
> the home page. It's not on mine; not even when I
> clicked on "More".
>
> mady

Type something in the web search and click search.
Email Expert
madylarian

> Type something in the web search and click search.

So one has to use it to find out what search engine it is? Wow, good design concept. And an ad for a toenail fungus treatment too! Even Google doesn't go that far.

mady
Recognized Contributor

> And an ad for a
> toenail fungus treatment too! Even Google doesn't go
> that far.

Google gives you a sponsored link to "Get toenail fungus treatment" which turns out to be a generic link to the front page of eBay. :smileylaugh:
Most Valued Poster
rickmac

Madylarian

"...ad for a toenail fungus treatment too!"

They must be using targeted advertising - I got an ad for DELL computers.

LOL

B-)
"Neo, you must understand, there's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path." Morpheus - The Matrix
New Visitor

I'm really wondering why Comcast has to "position" my cursor for me. I usually try to put the address I want in my own address bar, and it ends up in their search box! I am more than able to put my cursor where I want it!!! Please stop controlling my web surfing. Change the page back.