New Visitor
Accepted Solution

Comcast TV listings

Why is it, that when I find a TV listing service that appears to work well, they go and "UPGRADE it" and make it worthless.

I was a Yahoo user and they had a good TV module that was useful and had nice features, Then they "FIXED it" (it wasn't broken!! ) and it turned to sh*t, lost subscribers and altho I still liked & used their e-mail, I've since taken my business elsewhere (Gmail is better now).

I tried MeeVee after our local newspaper TV weekly went economical and deleted Latenights completey and made a mess of Daytime listings (cancelled paper! ), but wasn't as handy.

I then checked out Comcast's TV listings (I've been a subscriber for the ISP for a long time, but found the features and e-mail less than satisfactory). Suprisingly, IT WAS GOOD !?!
Allowing me to select channels and shows we liked. Easily check on shows by name, if we weren't sure what they were (a nice feature as new seasons start). And we kept it up on a page on our family rm computer,
BUT early this AM apparently someone decided to UPGRADE and it is now CR*P!!

Comcast- give me back the previous version!! PLEASE!!  If it ain't broke don't FIXIT!!

I keep getting offers in the mail, maybe it is time to take my subscriptions elsewhere. Voting with our dollars appears to be the only recourse left

-PO'd in West Linn, OR
New Visitor

Re: Comcast TV listings

I agree 100%. I used the TV listings every day and now that it been changed most of the time the page won't load. It' just like their home page. It almost never loads completely. They blamed it on the brand of router I used so I bought a new one. It still didn't work. I am very disappaointed in Comcast and their lack of computer programmers.
Contributor

Same here.  I have been a regular user of the Comcast TV listings feature because it let me filter for the channels that I watch.  Now I'm only able to filter for categories Comcast thinks I need to use and am stuck with program info for channels I don't care about. 

It wasn't broken, there was no need to fix it, and it is NOT an improvement.

Regular Visitor

where's the favorites?

hope they improve this or bring back the old one!

Visitor

Holy **bleep** the original poster got it right in one. Where the **bleep** is the other version.
It was full page, the new one has crappy graphics around the sides
It let me pick favorites and keep them at the top of the list, the new one does not.
It was easy to read, not this light blue text on white background, who thinks of this **bleep**
It kept the time scale at the top while scrolling through the list, not this junker

bring me back the old version now!
Regular Visitor

Oh, I agree.. Any simple TV listing out there?
Frequent Visitor

At least I not the only one who feels as though the customize feature was useful.  This new version is "pretty" but garbage.  I spent wasted time attempting to chat with Comcast and they had no clue what I was saying.  Please give us back the previous functionality.
New Visitor

I also agree.  I used the "favorites" channels all the time.  What might be done to convince them to bring it back?

Regular Contributor

Minus the explicitives, I am forced to agree with the other posts. In order to provide constructive feedback, here goes...

1) Favorites: The favorites feature was the most important feature of the prior TV listing implementation in my opinion. If anything it should have been expanded to allow a user to additionally specify what shows are their favorites and possibly provide a positive promotion such as a New Episode of (Favorite Show Name) is premiering at 9:00 pm on (Channel) on a what's on now page.

2) Color Scheme: The side bars in my opinion, really, really, really need to go. Even the portion of the side bar that uses more of a gray scale is still too distracting and the side bars should just be the base background color / whether that be a gradient or solid. I have only seen the two screen shots posted, but being too busy with colors is also my biggest concern with the new forum implementation that is being rolled out shortly.

3) Page Loading Presentation: I believe the intent of the page loading mechanism is to show an advertisement while the TV listings are being loaded and then to have the advertisement at the end? I haven't tried this on the laptop (1920x1200) yet, but just playing around on the old desktop (1280x1024) using IE 7 I have seen some different variations. Most of the time, the advertisement isn't loaded before the TV listings are loaded, hence, I see the Advertisement indicator and then from a layman point of view it looks like the advertisement is holding up the page loading - I know personally it is the TV listings, but just my feedback. Also, on some attempts it seems as if the advertisement was sort-of always at the bottom of my screen whenever I scroll.

4) Fancast Promotion: I understand the desire to promote Fancast, and I even think that is probably a good thing, but I think some more intuitive approaches could be taken rather than branding everything with a Fancast spray bottle. For one, some people have DVRs, some people don't, provide a mini indicator on the listing and/or a watch now on the episode detail page for a TV listing. It's not just branding or advertising that way, it actually adds something useful people are more likely to appreciate and notice.

5) Advertisements in General: I don't agree with the advertisements on the web e-mail personally, if I used it, I would be highly annoyed as I consider it part of the paid ISP service and the adverts are really big usually, but I can understand on the TV listing service. What I would recommend on the TV listing service for advertisements is to keep it simple for both the Comcast cross promotion advertisements and the third party advertisers. I am coming to that particular site to view my TV listings and unlike for instance the cable box menus, there are many choices. Right now as it is, the Comcast banners for site, search, on demand and TV listing site controls take up 1/4 to 1/3 of the screen before the TV listings even start. Especially with the favorites feature, I could look at just one page and know if there was anything currently on that I wanted to watch. I am only 34 and maybe I am not old enough eyesight wise to have the full appreciation yet, but that is the largest search box I have seen in quite a while. Fair and/or accurate or not, my first impression after loading up the TV listing site is they changed it so they can sell advertising.

6) Google Chrome: I know it is a new browser, and if G-Mail is any indication, it will be in beta for quite a while. However, can we get it added to the list of browsers? When you go to any Comcast.net page it appears to redirect you to a page that says your browser is too old, which might be poor wording I might add, but then even though it is nice enough to give you a nice continue button it appears to just dump you on the regular Comcast.net portal page either because it doesn't know the original target or simply is not honoring it. Grrr.... Also, with the Chrome cookies option set to "Restrict Third Party Cookies" or even "Accept All Cookies", I could not get the sign-on indicators to work as expected - just fyi.

I do mean for this post to be and taken as constructive criticism and hope it will be read in that light.
New Visitor

I'll add to the chorus of those who don't like the updated TV listings page.  At minimum, the favorite-channel-at-the-top feature should be restored, and the side-edge margins removed so that the you can see 4 hours of listings in an 1152-pixel screen width.
 :smileyplain:
New Visitor

New TV Listing format is AWEFUL

The new TV listing format is really lame.  I have a newer widescreen laptop and it renders renders on my screen with multiple scroll bars which is a pain in the **bleep**.  There is also a lot of wasted space and the format does not appear to be customizable at all.

...just my two bits.
Regular Problem Solver
BlueJay

Re: New TV Listing format is AWEFUL

New Visitor

The new version of TV Listings is garbage, they probably have some jackass web designer on salary who thought he could make it more user friendly. Probably to much to hope this is a Beta test and the bad responses will make them switch back to the old format. Most people will probably just move on to another guide but sadly I doubt there is one, as mentioned in the first post the other decent guides have also been "updated" into **bleep**. TV Guide, Yahoo TV, etc...
Recognized Contributor

It really is amazingly awful!  Multiple scroll bars!  And talk about slow!?!  Those turtles in the Comcast TV ads would love the slowness of this "improved" feature.
And what's really neat is that the channel listing isn't correct for my zip code!  Lovely....just lovely!

--Larry

Visitor

I agree with all the above.  I just got off a 'chat' with comcast.  It appears this "upgrade" is a permanent thing.  What a mess!  Everytime I go to scroll forward in time, it bounces me back down to channel 1.  Then I have scroll back to the channel I was checking in order to continue on.  Like I told the chat guy, has their management ever heard of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"?
New Visitor

Worst TV Listing format I have ever seen. Now forced to buy TV Guide at supermarket. Your new guide is impossible to use. 
johnnolan2
Regular Problem Solver
BlueJay

johnnolan2, Try the online version of TV Guide at:  http://www.tvguide.com/listings/default.aspx   .. It's far superior to the printed version, and cheaper..  :smileywink:

ciao, bj
Regular Contributor

Tried the TV Listing page today on the laptop (1920x1200) using IE7, not sure if I was doing something wrong yesterday on the desktop or if a change was made, but my favorite channels are now appearing at the top which was my preference.  Doesn't appear to be a way yet to modify that preference or the favorite channels themself, but still encouraging.

Contributor

1.  "NOW" button does not work.
2. Multiple scroll bars.   Ewe!!!!!
3. Favorite channels - gone!!!

PLEASE!  Leave me with the OLD TV Listings!
Recognized Contributor

BlueJay,
I tried the tvguide you suggested.  It's much better except that trying to set the preferences kills my Firefox (v2.0.0.17).  The entire firefox window goes blank (all white).  No menus, no tabs, no nothing.  On one try I waited a few minutes and it actually came alive again.  Another time I had to kill it with the task manager.  Other than that, it looks good.  I like the option of having one long page of channels like the old comcast version had.
--Larry

Recognized Contributor
2harts4ever

Howdy,

I echo the comments of everyone else.

If something is working good and everyone is happy .... don't mess with it! 

Who ever thought of this new design and layout must be working for the competition.

Regards,

2harts4ever
Recognized Contributor
2harts4ever

Bluejay,

Thanks for the link to 'TV Guide'.  That will be what I use until Comcast comes to their senses and brings back the old version of their TV Listings.

When I look at the new Comcast version it is almost like they are saying "Let's see if this upsets anyone"?

Well, I for one, do find the switch very upsetting.

Thanks and regards,

'2harts4ever
Regular Problem Solver
BlueJay

Larrymcg,
Sorry it didn't work for you...  I'm using IE on my Vista machine...   Been kicking around downloading the Fox, but haven't gotten around to it...  Give IE a try, it might behave better..  :smileywink:

2harts4ever, said:

"Thanks for the link to 'TV Guide'.  That will be what I use until Comcast comes to their senses and brings back the old version of their TV Listings.
                             Don't hold your breath on that one, comcast has no sense when it comes to doing "their" thing..
When I look at the new Comcast version it is almost like they are saying "Let's see if this upsets anyone"?
                             From what I've seen within these forums, the majority are upset and rightly so..
Well, I for one, do find the switch very upsetting.
                             You are not alone..  I've ditched their homepage, ditched the TVplanner, and if the new forum revisions follow the pattern, will ditch them also..

Thanks and regards,
                             You're welcome  ~  ciao, bj
'2harts4ever"
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]
This is **bleep**! I started using comcast tv schedule when yahoo tv became unusable. When the **bleep** will these people learn, we need useful, functional information, not a bunch of flash and slow loading video. I'm out of here. Looking for someplace else to get TV listings.

Try MSN. The listings work fairly well. the favorites are a little clunky but at leat they have them.

Message Edited by DarrylBrooks on 10-17-2008 06:21 PM
Regular Contributor

I came here to post the exact same thing as the original poster. (Of course I had to wade through many slow loading comcast pages to get here.)

I was a yahoo user until they fixed it. then moved to comcast.  The one on MSN isn't bad. Loading favorites is a little clunky but it beats the garbage comcast has stuck us with.

The thing content provider don't get is more flash/video/audio doesn't improve anything if you can't get the information you are looking for. Most network sites have become useless. You can get all the streaming video you want, but try to find a simple recap or preview.
Visitor

I thought the old format was clean, simple, and easy to use.  I guess it was too good to last.  This new thing looks like it was designed by a third-grade class - pointless, annoying pictures taking up space on both sides, and a color palette that's difficult to read and almost painful to look at.  Aqua and lavender?  What's most amazing is, people in authority must have looked at this during planning and said "Easter egg.  Yup, that's the look we're going with."
Guess I'll be trying the TV Guide site. 
Visitor

BlueJay, thank you!
Regular Problem Solver
BlueJay

Mysteresa, Y.W.   :smileywink:

ciao, bj
Bronze Star Contributor
Bronze Star Contributor
bil

If like me, you really miss the previous tv listings format, give the listings at zap2it.com a try. They are remarkably similar. And yes, they can be customized and allow setting up favorite channels. The site is run by Tribune Media, which supplies most newspapers with their TV listings.
Contributor

Add me to the list of people who are not happy with the new format.
No - I am not just unwilling to accept change, and No- I will not learn to love it after I use it for a while.
First I find the light blue type against a light background very hard to read.
Second I have spent too much time trying to scroll with 2 scroll bars and a third bar that looks just like the scroll bar but isn't.
I use a laptop, in many different zip codes and find changing my preferences and answering all the poll questions ridiculous compared to
typing in the zipcode as I used to.
I am already frustrated by refreshing with the NOW button only to find that the current time is not accurate.
And of course the terribly busy background is just an annoying distraction.

There were many things about the old page that could have been improved, but the new one is just terrible.
I am not a frequent complainer - I had to sign in for the first time to these forums because this is the first time I have felt I had to let someone know how
poorly this job was done. I was not surprized to see that this thread has gotten to be so large this soon, and complaints are posted in unrelated topics as well.

At this point I am heading back to TV guide at www.tvguide.com not perfect either but better than this.
I'll check the TV planner in a while and see if you got it right. So long for now!
Visitor

The new format is really bad.

I hate having to log-in to my account to see my "Favorites" which will only appear after I press "Now" or "Primetime"

The scrolling is poor as well because the page size is so long, you have to scroll the page then the listings. Not everyone has a huge monitor.

The number is advertisements is excessive, and I don't need links to every possible Comcast feature.

IMHO, What a waste of technology.

Put the old one back! Please!!

Until then, I'll use another site.
Contributor

Hmmm - I just noticed something interesting!
COMCAST - PAY ATTENTION TO THIS

Nothing against the people who have many posts to the forums and regularly share their insights with others,
But did you notice how many of these posts (Like mine) were from "New Users" with only One post?

These are all people who typically do not participate in any of these forums, but took the time to seek out the forums because they REALLY wanted to let someone know how dissatisfied they are with this.

Not chronic compainers at all, but so disapointed they were moved to react for the FIRST time!

That is significant!
New Visitor

Thank you mjcp, you nailed it!

I came to the forum exclusively to vent my frustration with the new TV listing.
The people said it all.

COMCAST, WE WANT THE OLD FORMAT BACK!!!
New Visitor

the thing that bothers me is that there are 33 posters above me that have nothing good to say about the new TV listings and not one of a comcast moderator saying the message has been sent up to the supervisors.  We must ask our selves, when will it happen?  50 posters? 100?  never?  this new listing **bleep** lemon.  besides EVERTHING else the rest of the posters wrote, I cannot get my comp to bookmark it, my bookmarks send me to a logon screen and then I have to navigate 4 more pages to get there!!! 

Highest down load speeds in the area
                           $50/mo

Slowest possible navigation to a ISP TV listing
                          priceless

Regular Visitor

I won't list all my complaints with the new TV Listing changes as they are the same as all the others who have taken the time to comment. What a giant leap backwards ! It's certainly a bold strategy to design something that is monumentally inferior to what it intends to replace. Do you have any openings in your Management team? I have no business degree but it's apparent that one is not needed and I could certainly do no worse than the team who decided the new format would be an epic win.
Contributor

Might i suggest yahoo widgets and get TV navigator and Next Episode by Nir that's what i use and it's on your desktop here's the link if you want it to try it http://widgets.yahoo.com/widgets/tvnavigator
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

I am a FIRST TIME POSTER.

I can't believe that ComcastGeorge is stating that Comcast is going to make this better.  How could it be better when it's SO BAD? 

Multiple scroll bars mean that my three button mouse will not slowly scroll through the listings, and if I page down to the next page of listings, it skips over programming because the page down is larger than the visible pane.  speaking of pane - the NEW FORMAT IS A PAIN. 

My favorites are gone, if I enter my zip code - it states that "COMCAST doe not provide service to that zip code" - maybe I should ask for a refund on my $120 bill if they don't have service.

Comcast live is not available in my state - which forces me to wait through an hour of hold time for a simple question.

PLEASE put back what was there - or - ComcastGeorge has some explanation due to us.

Regular Contributor

And now they change the forums!! It took me about 10 minutes to get here, but I finally made it.

Just wanted to agree with another poster that zap2it has a good listing. That's where I'll be if anybody is looking for me. Can't imagine I'll be back here. Comcast just doesn't listen.

Contributor

bil wrote:
If like me, you really miss the previous tv listings format, give the listings at zap2it.com a try. They are remarkably similar. And yes, they can be customized and allow setting up favorite channels. The site is run by Tribune Media, which supplies most newspapers with their TV listings.

Thank you so very much. I just checked out that site and love it. Not only can you set up fav channels but you can set it up so your fav shows are highlighted and it gives the episode title in the main grid and can be set to give episode details in the main grid too, it is wonderful. Thanks again :smileyhappy:

Contributor

I agree with the tv listing probs. I was a long time Yahoo tv guide person, than a year or so they had to mess with my yahoo portal and now the new tv guide portion blows. Same goes with comcast attempt at a current tv guide. Well i found a descent one that works well, its www.tvguide.com. Been using it for a year now. So far no probs.  Give it a try..
Contributor

I got booted from another similar forum that I started. I didn't know this one was here. Comcast is 'aware' of that forum otherwise they would not have closed it.

All they have to do is to not have the new one redirected. The old TV Planner (tvplanner.comcast.net) was fine but they are redirecting to www.comcast.net/tv/tv-listings instead.

In chat today the rep said be patient a new version will be out soon. Wasn't this a new version? *holding breath*

*gasp* :smileysad:

Some of the problems I noticed were:

• Favorite channels cannot be marked or changed or listed at top of list.
  • Cannot use favorite channels only.
  • The "Now" selection varies in time up to several hours.
  • Color choices are very difficult to read as well as the background.
  • Not as wide as before due to the background.
  • Favorite channels sometimes show up intermittently, and are not indicated as favorites.
  • No arrows any more for shows and movies already started or continuing.
  • Info about a particular show appears over the listing.
  • When veiwing another time, the listing doesn't stay where your were, instead goes back to top.

Please add more to this list and contact Comcast at:

http://help.comcast.net/content/faq/Six-Ways-to-Get-Help using items #4, #5, and/or #6 to voice your opinion.

Regular Contributor

Kin2U wrote:

In chat today the rep said be patient a new version will be out soon. Wasn't this a new version? *holding breath*

If there is a new version in the works with possible refinements that might address concerns people have voiced here, it is a shame they have not communicated this here or on the forums in general.  There is also a thread in the Forums Feedback section that could also stand a bit of a formal presence.

<philosophical rant>We, as humans, have found more ways than one can imagine to communicate with each other; yet, at the times when effective communication could serve us best, we are often more clever in finding reasons not do so</philosophical rant>.  

Bronze Star Contributor

[ Edited ]

It seems unable to remember my zip code!!!  I used to be able to just click on the tv listing but now I have to enter the zip code each time!!  I hated that new looks!! It is pain in my a** to scroll the screen up and down in search for my channels... PLEASE BRING BACK OLD VERSION!!!

I have ditched the TVplanner for Zap2it because Zap2it has feature that lets me to put my favorite channels in order and ability to remember my zipcode. Once I went through the regsitry process... then entered the zipcode. That website will display the selection. I selected my programming and it will show the channels... It has setting tab, which I had used it once or twice to make corrections. I had to set my favorite channels... It is helpful in keeping up with tv programming. It displays my favorite channels first then remaining channels...

Message Edited by higgie on 10-27-2008 07:01 PM
Regular Contributor

What gets me is...  channels aren't listed in channel order?  How **bleep** is that?

Current listing, going down from top to bottom after clicking on 'HD' for HD listings

199,200,202,203,204,205,206,207,208,215,217,218,231,232,233,234,235,240,242 ->

Talk about CONFUSING

Recognized Contributor

I've given up on the "improved" Comcast TV listings.  My bookmark now takes me to the TVlistings at zap2it.com  --  it's fast and has the features I like, especially an indication if a show is NEW or not.  You do have to register if you want to select your favorite stations.  Fine by me.

Did I say it's fast?  It loads all the channel listings and I can look thru a bunch of them while the Comcast listings are still sayin "Loading".  Amazing how slow the Comcast implementation is.

--Larry

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

digilos wrote:

What gets me is...  channels aren't listed in channel order?  How **bleep** is that?

Current listing, going down from top to bottom after clicking on 'HD' for HD listings

199,200,202,203,204,205,206,207,208,215,217,218,231,232,233,234,235,240,242 ->

Talk about CONFUSING

The TVPlanner lists all your "favorites" first, then follows that with the remaining channels available to you.  If you're only interested in the favorites, you can stop looking at the listings when you get to the end of those.  :smileymischief:

Regular Visitor

Another problem I have experienced:

It seems like if I have unread email, tv planner redirects me to an email web page! If I wanted to check email, I'd go to email, not tv planner.

Also, sometimes the channel listings come out incomplete or in strange orders. Once I noticed that I refreshed 3 times in a row and got 3 different results.

It appears that comcast performs absolutely no QC tests on their software. What else could explain this mess? Did nobody even once click the "now" function? If I ever allowed software as bad as this to be released to actual customers, I wouldn't be in my job for very long.

They _should_ have released this as a beta test giving the users the chance to comment and use the old web page if they wished.

I agree with with some other posters - zap2it.com is a good alternative and I'm mostly using it now. Its not as good as tv planner was, but its better than tv planner is...

Rick

Contributor

Did you notice the header above the TV Listing:

"The Comcast.net team has been working to improve your Comcast.net TV channel. We've added an HD video gallery, an On Demand page, and access to free Full TV episodes. Unfortunately, some features - such as Favorite Channels - were removed. In response to your feedback, we are working diligently to restore these features. We apologize for this inconvenience."

I am truely dissatisfied with the attitude and failure to respond to ‘the squeaky wheel’ when the only thing they had to do was to simply revert back to the previous working version while this version was being modified until it was 100% operational. Even now, that is all they have to do.

Comcast, this is poor customer service.

I do recommend the Zap2it web site. (http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tvlistings/). There are several additional features that are helpful.

Regular Contributor

I didn't mark those channels as my favorites, nor can I do anything about changing my favorites, that's no longer available.

Contributor

Thanks for the update, and no I did not see that.

I have not been back to the comcast TV Listings since I posted my first complaint. I have been Happy using the other sites recommended by other posters in this forum.