Contributor

Re: Comcast.net Portal Changes

I guess I don;t know why many corporations change things without fully testing them first.  I suddenly had my home page change and the search engine didn;t work, the e-mail button did nothing, there was virtually no content on the page, I could not log in, and was forced to call Comcast to find out how to change back to the old page.  I learned how and did so.  However, the content there is no longer being updated.  Bottom line, the page may be OK, IF IT WORKED, the content should be user's choice as before.  Comcast should have tested the new page out on a control group and made sure that what it planned to put up worked, without causing the paying customer grief.  For about a week I could not access my e-mail. 

Let the customer choose the content
Fix the buttons so that they actually take you where you want to go

Thanks for allowing me to post and at least feel like I am being heard.
Contributor

For those interested in getting the old home page back, while it is no longer fully functional, type www3.comcast.net in the address bar and go to the page.  You can then set your home page in Internet Options, under General, click use current once you are at the www3.comcast.net page.
Most Valued Poster
Michael

captcurly wrote:
I am not very happy with Comcast about forcing me to change to a new home page. I am 65yrs old and not very good with the computer. I had no problems getting into the comcast home page but now it is impossible.

captcurly,

I am sorry to hear that the new page has not been working for you.  Please visit this thread (<-- clickable link)for a discussion on current problems some customers are having with accessing the page.

The only option I have is getting the Geek Sq. to respond to my home and update my Linksys router.

There should be no reason for you to pay someone to come out to fix your router.  We are currently working on a fix that would allow customers to access the page without the firmware updates.  And while the updates will not be necessary, we still highly recommend that you do it at some point.

Comcast did not give their customers an option of keeping the old home page.

Every major site updates their pages from time to time.  This is the 4th or 5th time we have updated our page in the past 7 years.  Unfortunately, this is the only time that we have encountered problems like this.  At this point, it is simply not practical for us to maintain two separate Portal sites.

Now I am forced into spending a large some of money to "get with the new program." My wife and I have two laptops and share two printers. We have the Comcast Broadband Wireless System and love it. The policy of Comcast to change and force everyone to comply is not fair and is not good for me.

If you have the Comcast Home Networking plan, we will support your router and make any necessary updates for you free of charge.  You can call us anytime to schedule an appointment.

Can anyone at Comcast get me a direct answer as why a customer did get an option regarding this change? If anyone at Comcast has any compassion for it's customers please give me back my old Comcast home page.

As mentioned above, it is not possible to maintain multiple sites.  I am not aware of any company who has updated their site and given the customer a choice of which site to use.  It simply does not make good business sense to do so.  Unfortunately, giving the old page back is not an option.  We have coded a new page and have also migrated to a completely new Platform.  It was a one way transition.

It is obivious that Comcast does not care about their customers.

I regret that you feel this way.  We are always looking to improve the customer experience and will be reviewing the feedback provided here to determine what we can do going forward.  I very much appreciate you taking the time to provide these comments and hope that we can get the new page working for you in short order.

Contributor

Michael, you answered someone with "Every major site updates their pages from time to time. This is the 4th or 5th time we have updated our page in the past 7 years. Unfortunately, this is the only time that we have encountered problems like this. At this point, it is simply not practical for us to maintain two separate Portal sites."

With all the complaints it seems more practical to go back to the OLD page. I bet if Comcast put up this question
to vote on and calculate electonically:

Do you prefer the new homepage or the old one? ___New ___Old (Check your preferance)

you will see that after one week's time that the majority prefers the old page.
Save yourselves grief and $$ and suggest that this question go up.
Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

hpsoap wrote:
Michael, you answered someone with "Every major site updates their pages from time to time. This is the 4th or 5th time we have updated our page in the past 7 years. Unfortunately, this is the only time that we have encountered problems like this. At this point, it is simply not practical for us to maintain two separate Portal sites."

With all the complaints it seems more practical to go back to the OLD page. I bet if Comcast put up this question

Do you prefer the new homepage or the old one? ___New ___Old (Check your preferance)

Sorry to say but experience tells me that I believe that you are fighting a losing battle......

Message Edited by EG on 10-31-2007 10:56 PM
Visitor

To:
  Michael  and Comcast.

Hate to be you right about now.
Its been said and I agree with it all..... It **bleep**!!!
I bet that there are alot more comcast users, like myself, that  dont know what the  _____  has happened to the home page they used to call home.
My computer skills are not that what I would call "skills". I bet that if more (all) comcast users had more knowledge of all this then maybe some thing would be done about it.
I MEAN IT when I say.... I had not, untill today, knew what the ___ was going on with my comcast I used to know and love.

Thanks, and tell everyone in the marketing department, "Keep up the good work" for me!!!

tony
Regular Problem Solver
BlueJay

EG wrote:

Sorry to say but experience tells me that I believe that you are fighting a losing battle......

Words of WISDOM, we should listen to...  :smileysad:

ciao, bj
Contributor

EG wrote:

Words of WISDOM, we should listen to...

ciao, bj

To BJ and EG,

At least I am fighting, eh. Nothing has ever been accomplished by sitting stagnant. I presented
Michael with a logical solution to this problem. Majority rules and everyone should be happy then.
Of course, not everyone has common sense or logic.

DLB
Contributor

[ Edited ]
The new homepage has made it VERY difficult to search easily..It has way too much stuff on it. The old version was SIMPLE , fast and easy to navigate. I have not used the homepage for anything since the change. Iam paying $65.00 a month just for internet service and its hard to believe a company this big can not make a simple, user friendly homepage for there customers. This new version is filled with useless information ...If it does not change soon, I will look into the new verizon internet plans...ISince there are many unhappy customers, is comcast planning on making any changes ? thanks

Message Edited by yasou25 on 11-01-2007 07:12 AM
Regular Contributor
Aprilk

I don't like the new page either.  I kept very few things on my configured homepage with comcast and it appears that I can't do that with the new one.  It's way too wide, I run my monitor at 1024x768 and I have the  scrollbar on the page.  My husband runs his at 800 x 600 and can't even get to things on the page because it is so W I D E!

For those of us who are "older" and cannot read the screen when the icons and text are small... this is AWFUL.  I absolutely hate it.  Good thing I use myway or yahoo as my real homepage instead of comcast or it would drive me crazy.

I would prefer:
1. the ability to REMOVE content and make the page much more narrow.
2. the abiltiy to ONLY HAVE the content I want to see (basically same as #1)
3. I never liked the fan in the first place.

A
Most Valued Poster
Michael

hpsoap wrote:

hpsoap,

I understand that many people have made this suggestion and it may even be true that the majority polled would vote for the old page.  I also understand that, on the surface, this seems to be a very simple and straightforward solution.  Unfortunately, it is neither.  At this point, it would be extremely difficult to return to the old page.  A process that would not only take some time, but would also have a great chance of having a lot of bugs that would need to be worked out.  There was significantly more to this upgrade than a simple replacement of pages.  While I am not at liberty to discuss the proprietary details of this migration, I think you would completely agree with my assessment if you had these details.
Bronze Star Contributor
Bronze Star Contributor

Michael wrote:

hpsoap wrote:

hpsoap,

I understand that many people have made this suggestion and it may even be true that the majority polled would vote for the old page.  I also understand that, on the surface, this seems to be a very simple and straightforward solution.  Unfortunately, it is neither.  At this point, it would be extremely difficult to return to the old page.  A process that would not only take some time, but would also have a great chance of having a lot of bugs that would need to be worked out.  There was significantly more to this upgrade than a simple replacement of pages.  While I am not at liberty to discuss the proprietary details of this migration, I think you would completely agree with my assessment if you had these details.

Michael,

Did Comcast change their backend system that manages the content of the site? As a webmaster, this is the only reason that explains what you said.

Most Valued Poster
Michael

Among other things, yes.
New Visitor

You know what would be nice?  If some one actually acknowledged our concerns.  I understand that there will be no going back to the old portal.  So, going forward, would it be so hard to incorporate some of the suggestions expressed in this forum?  The portal is "the face of comcast" for many of us.  Right now that face is garish and money-grubbing.  But kudos, igoogle is awesome so thx for forcing me out of my rut!
Regular Contributor

I've posted that I hated the new portal but this message isn't directly about that.  yes, I hate all the teenie bopper gossip stuff and teh fact that it took forever to load in IE7 (decided to use Firefox- it loads fine- just saw the post about Spybot S&D- I'll have to look into that) But My thought is this:  We are a very diverse society that is becoming incresingly extroverted.  When celebrity doings become stories on CNN- well thats not news to me.  It doesnt surprise me that Comcast places a precedence on this stuff on their home page.  Now while socitey is moving in that direction IN GENERAL", the internet historically was a have for more technologically savvy and perhaps more introspective types, the types that hare strong minded and hate advertising and gossip. (The more ads are pushed at me, the more likely I am NOT to purchase whatever it is).  Bear with me here,  as more and more "regular folks" get wired, the appeal becomes more general.  Just look at their tv ads.  Cutsey, and appealing to that same celebrity worshipping type of person. Face it that it wahat 'sells' these days regardless of what a group of us feels. I don't think we are in the majority OVERALL.  As more people go broadband, Comcast IS becoming more like AOL. They have to.  Why were so many tech "experts" at the forefront of the exodus from AOL?  Why do the "experts" often look to Linux?  Because we want to customize our technological experience.  Most folks have no clue how to keep sypware off their systems.  its like a racer expecting the average Joe to be able to handle a Formula 1 race car. In a perfect world might be nice to have that skill but it just ain't gonna happen.  This said, my thought is that Comcast cannot be everything to everyone. We are too diverse. To satisfyone group will offend or disappoint another. they have to try and please the larger group. its business.  Now that said, perhaps the "expert" users are losing places to go "hide" from the masses.  Maybe but I have a few other comments in general:

1. Why is everyone so locked into webmail? I never used it at all other than the few times I was travelling without my laptop which i have Outlook configured to send and recieve mail regardless of my location.  I've only started using webmail in teh last 5 months since I now have to check my screened mail folder to see if Comcast put any legitimate messages in there.

2. A home page is a portal. We are paying Comcast for connectivity. Sure its nice if their home page is useful to us but any web browser gives the option and CHOICE to set whatever we would like to see upon connecting to the internet.   Frankly I'm more upset that I had to get a gmail account to insure I get all my important mail.

3. Most people only post and speak up if they are unhappy thus giving the appearance of a mass discontent but perhaps the majority of Comcast customers are happy?

3.  Comcast got used to being the only high speed choice in town.  It will only be a matter of time before they can determine if their actions create a dent in their customer base as we leave for FiOS or even DSL.

As much as I saw posts about change averse users, why do we whine and complain? We have choices.

Regular Contributor

Dear comcast support , The Only thing I'm Unhappy about is the slow pageloading . And the fact that some of the information on the new site dosn't show up when you sign up. Like your email message total .thing's like thing's . I do agree with the users here that the ad's make the page very slow . But what can you do about it .all in all very good disign . But still needs alittle work

signed
Michael
Huntsville Al.
New Visitor

I am having a difficult time with these new home page. To say I hate it is an understatement. I miss my weather link - I miss so much. I am having so much trouble that I want to switch away from Comcast.

:smileycry:

It's not fun - I find all the "celebrity news" childish and offensive. This isn't news. Come on - where is there a decent home page for people of a different age.

Please - fix this. It's a giant step backwards and not easy to use. I want our old home page back again. At least I knew where things were.

And the assistant doesn't work at all. I click and nothing happens.

Ready to switch to another provider.

Bronze Star Contributor
garysilverman

Aprilk wrote:
I don't like the new page either.  I kept very few things on my configured homepage with comcast and it appears that I can't do that with the new one.  It's way too wide, I run my monitor at 1024x768 and I have the  scrollbar on the page.  My husband runs his at 800 x 600 and can't even get to things on the page because it is so W I D E!

I TOTALLY AGREE I HAVE A 19" MONITOR  AND IT IS SET AT 1024 X 768  - I HAVE TO VIEW THE SCREEN MAXIMIZED TO SEE THE ASSISTANT!

Bronze Star Contributor
Bronze Star Contributor

[ Edited ]
If Comcast would move that big banner ad down the page and move the "In the News" pod up to where the banner ad is, then I would consider using the page again. Basically, move the banner ad below the "fold" of the page.

On a side note, just because Comcast is an company that provides "entertainment" they do not need to shove celebrity junk in our face.

Message Edited by Tek on 11-01-2007 03:40 PM
New Visitor

Personally, I am VERY dissappointed with the comcast page.  I find it very clumsy and annoying.  If I am not allowed to make changes to my own home page, then I will be forced to choose another site as my home page and only go your your site to check mail.

I'm pretty sure that is not what your advertisers want us to do, but as a customer, I can choose to use your site, or not.  With the new changes... I choose NOT.

I do thank you for the opportunity to reply.

Contributor

Michael commented to my post:
I understand that many people have made this suggestion and it may even be true that the majority polled would vote for the old page. I also understand that, on the surface, this seems to be a very simple and straightforward solution. Unfortunately, it is neither. At this point, it would be extremely difficult to return to the old page. A process that would not only take some time, but would also have a great chance of having a lot of bugs that would need to be worked out. There was significantly more to this upgrade than a simple replacement of pages. While I am not at liberty to discuss the proprietary details of this migration, I think you would completely agree with my assessment if you had these details.

Michael, I suspect that a new system was purchased and the "other things" that are involved most likely means it was
financed by advertisers to get their ads on the front page, in our face. It is sad that Comcast put greed before
customer satisfaction or input.
Most Valued Poster
Michael

hpsoap wrote:
Michael, I suspect that a new system was purchased and the "other things" that are involved most likely means it was
financed by advertisers to get their ads on the front page, in our face. It is sad that Comcast put greed before

Actually, this is not what I was referring to.  The ads have nothing to do with the migration itself or the reason why going back is not an option.
Contributor

Michael, 1st thanks for "listening" to all this.

As you mentioned in an earlier reply you can't share all the technical details behind this "upgrade" but, can you share anything as to what the picture is supposed to be when you folks are done?  When all is done are we going to have our flexibility back?  The ability to customize the page to our liking, colors, items we see, re-ordering of displayed items? things like that? 

If not, I think Comcast is doing itself and your customers a disservice.

Michael wrote:

hpsoap wrote:

Actually, this is not what I was referring to.  The ads have nothing to do with the migration itself or the reason why going back is not an option.

New Visitor

About a week ago I started having trouble accessing the new comcast.net home page. As of today, I have talked to 3-4 people and done a multitude of changes to my computer with no luck. I really don't care about the comcast home page but need to access my email. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks
Most Valued Poster

bob0link wrote:
About a week ago I started having trouble accessing the new comcast.net home page. As of today, I have talked to 3-4 people and done a multitude of changes to my computer with no luck. I really don't care about the comcast home page but need to access my email. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks

Click the email link at the top left of this forum page.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Regular Problem Solver
BlueJay

Nicubird, I don't know if it's only me, but every time I check that link, I get a 404 Page not found error code..  The same happens in the community forums.   I've reported this before, but never got a response..     That's why I rely totally on my bookmarked links to get where I want to go within the comcast site.

ciao, bj
Most Valued Poster

BlueJay wrote:
Nicubird, I don't know if it's only me, but every time I check that link, I get a 404 Page not found error code..  The same happens in the community forums.   I've reported this before, but never got a response..     That's why I rely totally on my bookmarked links to get where I want to go within the comcast site.

ciao, bj

Well...it's impossible for me to know if it's "only you"; however, the link works for me. Although I cannot access comcast.net on a consistent basis (today is a "no access" day), the links at the top of the forum page load correctly. I use IE7 and Firefox on XP with OpenDNS servers.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Contributor
athene-5

Thank you for asking for feedback.  I really don't like the new site and am considering using another site, such as Google as my homesite from now on, entering the Comcast site only when absolutely necessary.
1.  It takes forever to load the home page.  Bad!
2.  It takes forever to load any subsequent pages.  Bad!
3.  The content is completely obnoxious and eye-bruising- I have no interest in celebrity news, games, advertising (we're already paying for our access), your 'assistant' which doesn't load and was never helpful anyway, and I can't find the link that lets me edit the page to get rid of the insulting clutter.
4.  It's just plain ugly and lacking in style, resembles something that would have been designed back in the early 90's. 
5.  There doesn't seem to be any enhanced functionality.
6.  I didn't appreciate the lack of advance notification or the extremely poor performance for the week that preceeded the implementation of this 'upgrade', including several outages.

Look, the only reason I need to visit the Comcast page is to log in for those services I want to use/modify.  I don't need the glitzy news, teeny-bopper tidbits, and links to entertainment sites.  I don't see that the new site design adds value to my needs.  How do I get rid of the clutter and reduce this page to those functions I use?
Contributor

Is comcast going to do anything to change there homepage since its catered towards teens? Thanks for making this complaint/suggestion forum, but does anyone even look at it? Please let us know..:smileyangry:Thanks
Contributor

hpsoap wrote:
Michael wrote:
Actually, this is not what I was referring to. The ads have nothing to do with the migration itself or the reason why
going back is not an option

Then there should be NO reason to keep those huge ads on the homepage, then. When will those come down? Or put off to the side? Or beter yet at the bottom of the page so people can see what what THEY want to see when first opening the page?
And I, too, would like to know if there is going to eventually be controls to personalize the page to view what we are interested in as individuals? I for one don't give a hoot about Britney, Paris or any of the other sleazy celebrity in
the world when there are actually POSITIVE role models in it.
Visitor

I'm not sure which of the many posts to reply to, so I'll start with the most recent.

I was really surprised when I logged on today to be faced with a new and unfamiliar home page.
I use comcast.net ONLY for email when I'm not at my home computer, nothing else, and had modified my previous page to suit my needs in this regard, so the first thing I looked for was the means to delete all the unwanted stuff. Couldn't find it.

Sigh, so I tried to get to my email. I clicked on the email button. My email page did not come up - instead I got a wierd menu that wanted to know, among other things, if I wanted my Inbox or to compose. I wanted my Mail page, but OK, I clicked on Inbox.  What happened next was a new browser opened up with my familiar Mail page.

This is 'way too many clicks to get to my Mail in my opinion - and I don't care for opening a new browser.

What I'd like to see is a VERY SIMPLE HOME Page - see www.google.com for my ideal.

I know it is the fashion recently to foist as much information on a page as possible, but not all of us want or need it.  Please consider providing a much simpler HOME page experience/option for those of us who don't want the news of the world in front of us every moment of the waking day.

Thank you!
Contributor

I agree.  I think the new design stinks.  I log in to get my mail.  I dont want to watch ads.  The old design was much cleaner - less cluttered. 

If I see a video I might like, there is no way to close the ads that run or skip through them.  That's not your decision to make on how I spend my viewing time when online. 

You make a god awful amount of $$$ from me each month b/c you have no competition.  You raise your rates with impunity and your customer service reps are rude!

I cannot wait till FIOS comes to my neighborhood!
Most Valued Poster
Michael

hpsoap wrote:
And I, too, would like to know if there is going to eventually be controls to personalize the page to view what we are interested in as individuals? I for one don't give a hoot about Britney, Paris or any of the other sleazy celebrity in

The current focus is to make sure that this page is functional for all customers.  Once the page is fully functional, we will start looking at possible changes that can be made to the site.  At this point, there have been no decisions made about what we may be offering in the future.  When this information becomes available, I will be happy to share it here in the Forums.
Most Valued Poster
Michael

juatwantsomethi wrote:
What I'd like to see is a VERY SIMPLE HOME Page - see www.google.com for my ideal.

I know it is the fashion recently to foist as much information on a page as possible, but not all of us want or need it.  Please consider providing a much simpler HOME page experience/option for those of us who don't want the news of the world in front of us every moment of the waking day.

If you are using the Comcast.net Portal primarily to get to your email, you may find the following pages more to your liking:

Visitor

Putting it simply the new site is complicated, too much spread over a page.  I do a lot of IT consulting and I would not be for this change.  I would like to see more of the old page but with out the FLASH.
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]
<inappropriate content removed>

Message Edited by Michael on 11-03-2007 10:52 AM
Bronze Star Contributor
garysilverman

bob0link wrote:

Thanks

Create a desktop icon or Favorites entry that contains the following command:

https://webauth.comcast.net/auth/login?passurl=http://mailcenter.comcast.net&user=USERNAME&passwd=PA...

Replace USERNAME and PASSWORD with your real username and password (case sensitive)

Be careful you will be logging in with your password anyone can click on it and see your mail.

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

62958 wrote:

Clever.

It's almost like the jets hittin' the Towers..... :smileysad:

Message Edited by EG on 11-02-2007 10:17 PM

Message Edited by Michael on 11-03-2007 10:53 AM
Contributor

I have one thing to ask and that is WHEN is this going to be fixed so we the people that pay can access the site?
Contributor

[ Edited ]

62958 wrote:

That's just too cool. Good job!!

Contributor

Very cool, indeed. Far more entertaining than the actual portal itself. lol
Contributor

Michael wrote:

hpsoap wrote:

The current focus is to make sure that this page is functional for all customers.  Once the page is fully functional, we will start looking at possible changes that can be made to the site.  At this point, there have been no decisions made about what we may be offering in the future.  When this information becomes available, I will be happy to share it here in the Forums.

So in essence what you are saying is that there is no plan with the rollout of the new page to allow user customization, correct?  That, I believe, is truly a mistake.

Bronze Problem Solver

[ Edited ]

62958 wrote:

Sums it all up pretty nicely, doesn't it?

Message Edited by Michael on 11-03-2007 10:54 AM
Regular Problem Solver
BlueJay

EG wrote:

62958 wrote:

Clever.

It's almost like the jets hittin' the Towers..... :smileysad:

Message Edited by EG on 11-02-2007 10:17 PM

Nothing could compare to the Towers going down. I still remember the horror of it all. :smileysad:   And while I'm not a fan of the Zeplain (sp), I could watch that rendition all day. :smileyshocked::smileydevil::smileywink:  

ciao, bj
Most Valued Poster
Michael

Because of the length of this thread, we are going to lock it and continue the discussion here (<--clickable link).