Visitor

DVR cuts off the end of shows

Our DVR cuts off the end of shows, sometimes by 5 minutes.  I know we can add time to the ending time but is something wrong with the DVR that it does this so often?  If I punch in "record" from the channel listing, that's when we have the most problems.

Contributor

Re: DVR cuts off the end of shows

My dvr is the third one from comcast, now i have a cisco eng 200 and it cuts off endings, only records partial shows, although the dvr is set for the full time of shows,  Also the menu for recording ONLY A REPEAT is missing, so your choices are limited.

Repair person due out this Sunday, most likely another box, which btw will be used, since they do not replace a defective dvr with new ones!!!!!!!!!!!!

New Visitor

My DVR truncates programs seemingly on a random basis. Although playback times show a full 60 minutes the recording halts abrubtly after anywhere from 4 to 30 or more minues. I suspect a bad hard drive.

Visitor

Maybe I'm lucky and should let this issue go considering the problems others are having and the problems getting it fixed (exchange for used DVR, etc.).

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

the dvr records by show not by time, the dvr does not know if a show runs long or starts early.  If the guide says the show starts at 9 the dvr starts recording at 9 and ends when the guide says it ends.  Networks are responsible for when the show starts and when it ends.  I will give you an example.  House on fox always ends two minutes late in my area.  I know that so I set my dvr to go over 3 minutes.  The dvr is a dumb box that does not know any better. A tivo knows when a show runs over and will tape it, not so here.  Comcast has nothing to do with when a show starts or ends.  They do set the time on your dvr.  Is the time on your dvr correct?  Do you ever watch the show your taping to see when the dvr cuts out?  why dont you do a test and record a half hour show and see if the dvr cuts out before the scheduled time of completion. 

New Visitor
jfbbbb1

We have the same problem since we were "upgraded" to Xfinity.  If you happen to land on the channel that's being recorded, the recording immediately stops.  This can happen if you are flipping channels, if you start to watch the show while it's still recording, or if you are recording two shows (as it forces you to one of the channels which stops that recording).  Don't know why they put  this out without testing it.  It's so obvious that there was a problem, they couldn't have possibly done any testing. 

Sent an email to them, but from what I've read, they won't have a clue and it won't be fixed.

Contributor

sme problem, record set for one hr show and only anywhere from 3 minutes to 16 minutes to 46 minutes records, and on different channels.

Contributor

sorry, tried that, the problem is intermittant, i know networks sometime start late and end early, but to have 3 minutes of an hour show, 6 minutes of another and soemtimes 46 minutes is frustrating

Also, the my dvr recordings menu freeezes, have to reboot

this will be my 4th box

also, u can not just record repeats, the choices are: new, new and repeats and finally duplicates, what is wrong with comcst that they can not fix????????????????????????

Contributor

We don't have the "cuts off the recording" problem. We often join the beginning of a program which is in the process of being recorded and continue to watch until the end of the recorded session. Or jump in and out during a recording, rhwn view it later. You may need a new DVR.?

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

you did not post that you get 3 min here 6 min there.  If you did i could tell you that the software that you got in your sa or cisco market is the culprit.  There is going to be a new software version in august so I have seen.

Contributor

just had comcast serviceman, problems with incomplete recordings is a software problem, have (he) has no idea when it will be fixed.

New Visitor
Puffin569

I'm having the same problem and it's frustrating beyond belief.  It seems that on a completely random basis some of the shows I set up to record on the DVR cut off and stop recording midway through the show.  I'm trying to figure out a pattern, and I think it might be when two shows are recording at once. But I don't understand why.  For the amount of money I spend on Comcast's service, I'd expect their software to be better, especially since this was supposed to be an "upgraded" service!

New Visitor
dtjay

We are experiencing the same problem.  We set to record two shows from 9 - 10. Okay. Set to record a third show from 10-11. And one of the first shows get "clipped."  Have tried numerous ways to find a way around this problem...no joy.

The "new" software is what we call alpha release - not ready for the end user - not intutitive - horrible to navigate.  Wife and I have spend many hours trying to set up our simple schedule only to have it all "magically" changed the next day.  The worst is when a show is changed for record new only to record all.  We had to delete many, many, many schedculed shows more than once....aarrrgh!

Oh well, when they are the only show in town what'cha gonna do?

Contributor
jax5225

I had/have the same problem. My post has similar information. Unfortunately, it looks like all of these problems require our patience....

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-and-Equipment/DVR-not-recording-full-or-entire-program/m-p/99...
Contributor

We contacted Comcast Help who told us how to set the DVR clock to the correct time (the DVR now shows time instead of channel). We'll see if this corrects our problem.

Contributor

clock time IF OFF may help, but as per comcast serviceman, it is a software problem

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

This is indeed a problem in the SA cisco market.  There is suppose to be a fix in august but we all know how that goes

New Visitor
meeshaweb

I have exhausted customer service with the same complaints and their answer is always to refresh the signal.  Cannot tell me they are not aware of this problem and choose to ignore it until they find a software fix.

There manual states you can record two programs and watch one but your very lucky if this works for you.

Shame on Comcast for not owning up to the problem.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

comcast is not going to tell their low level cs reps that their software has problems and to tell customers to wait for the fix.  This is not unique to comcast.  Does apple, or microsoft fess up to having bugs, no they just send out patches monthly.  Microsoft sends out a patch monthly to update all their problems.  Comcast is not different but a lot slower.

Visitor
kathylair

My DVR cuts ff the end of shows all the time.  Sometimes as much as 15 or 37 minutes, it is extremely frustrating!  Is there a fix for this?

Contributor

READ MY PREVIOUS THREAD..SOFTWARE ISSUE, PATCH TO BE THIS MONTH..I HOPE

Contributor

Mystery solved?

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

its never been a mystery its always been a software issue.

Contributor

Mine seems to start recording about 30 second early and ends 30 seconds early - todays shows run all the way to the end (no commercials between the end of one show and the start of the next).  I am surprised there isn't an option to add time before and after in case of clocks being off a minute or delays.  I looked all through the menus and no option.  I just upgraded to DVRs from regular STB so these are brand new boxes.

Contributor

Contributor

Comcast still does not record
Software release, IMHO was bs
Complain
Get CEO name from google search and complain.... The only way to get it fixed , Write to ceo
Visitor

We had a repairman out and he said his does the same thing and there doesn't seem to be a fix.  Luckily, he didn't take the DVR box, replace it with something worse.

Visitor

Call customer service.  Adding minutes before and after a show is one thing ours does do.

Contributor

New Visitor
APerrin_284

I just went from DTV to Comcast and I must say that my dvr is one of the most important services to me! With Comcast I get maybe 2 complete recordings out of 10!!!!!!!!! I think I may have made a mistake by changing over. My issue with Dtv was expense, I guess you get what you pay for!!

Contributor

PLEASE COMPLAIN TO CEO AND SEE MY POST OF YESTERDAY

THE ONLY WAY TO RESOLVE IS BY ALL F US WRITING A LETTER TO THE CEO

MARTY

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

comcast is aware of the issue and is suppose to be rolling out a fix from now through january to the ciso SA market that is affected by the software problem. 

Contributor

i was told that fix was to be released in August, it was released, IMHO and did not work, now it is supposed to be from now till end of year

WRITE TO CEO

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

how do you know it was released and you got it?

Contributor

i do not believe one word from customer service or the service reps that come out, AS A MATTER OF FACT ONE SERVICE TECH TOLD ME TO GET TIVO!!!!. , ANOTHER TOLD ME THAT THIS SOFTWARE PATCH IS IN LALA LALA LAND

Read the meseage threads and u will see that this problem is almost all over comcast coerage areas

Believe what u wish, BUT AFTER U REVIEW ALL THREADs, A LETTER TO THE CEO IS NEEDED

REGARDS

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

I know that there is a problem with the software in the SA cisco market and comcast has verified that and they have said a fix should be rolling out sometime this year, so options are wait or cancel service, fyi this is only happening in a small percentage of comcasts market less than 20% most users the other 80% are motorola users and do not have these issues.   The CS reps and techs probably don't even know about the issue. 

Visitor
kathylair

Wrong, I am a Motorola user and I am consistantly having this problem.  I have had the same DVR for 2 years.  When Comcast switched to Xfinity is when the problem started,  Everyone in my area has Motorola boxes and has the same problem.  I will write to the CEO

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Then you have a problem in your area or at your house.  I have motorola equipment and never have an issue.  What box do you have?  If its one of the newer ones there are issues with those boxes.  I can tell you in north jersey with comcast and motolrola boxes I have zero issues.  Have you talked with your neighbors to see if they have issues also?   If its just the last minute of two of a show that comes from the network itself.  I can tell you for the show "house"  it always runs two minutes late, so I have to set the dvr to go 2 minutes past the end time to capture the show.  That is a fox network issue not a comcast issue.  Is the time on your dvr right?  That is set from your local comcast office.  How much time are you saying is being cut off?

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

[ Edited ]

We have 3 Motorola DVR's and there are a number of channels that we have to set to stop a minute later if we don't want the end to be cut off. THIS IS NOT A PROBLEM CAUSED BY NETWORKS. It is solely a COMCAST issue and the time on the box.  It's less than 30 seconds that is cut off. I am paying for a system that should get it right so I don't have to constantly add another minuted to a recording.

Before making blanket statements like  Motorola users  "do not have these issues" you need to be VERY sure that is correct.

The fact that you don't have any issues doesn't mean everyone has no issues with a Motorola box.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Contributor

no matter what all of u r saying, a software issue

write to ceo

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Ok so re-phrase.  In North jersey with comast with motorola equipment we do not have this issue.  It is local to the local comcast office.  I believe all motorola equipment is on the same guide verison A28 so its not a software issue.  If you watch a show on your tv does it start on time and end on time if its live?  The dvr tapes by time not by show, so if the show runs liong the dvr will cut it off if the time is wrong which again is controlled by the local comcast office.  So look at your shows when they start and when they end and see if the time is right by the dvr, if they are not that is the issue, if they are then there is a bigger issue as like I said the dvr tapes by time. 

you know the deli line at the grocery store.  If you write to the CEO your are number 10000 they are serving number one.

Contributor

First of all it is happening on all boxes over the comcast area's of coverage, not just FL

Read all message threads......................PLEASE

Writing to CEO, works, it is only those who believe they will not asnwer.."get the service they deserve", meaning cut -offs

We all know how to set extra time, not the issue

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

well its not happening here. 

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

If I have something set up to start recording at 7pm, that is what time it starts. AND there is about 20 seconds of the PREVIOUS show at the beginning.

An hour show stops at 8pm, with the last 15 or so seconds missing.

I repeat, it is not a NETWORK time problem. It is problem caused by the time on the box, which is a few seconds off.

FWIW, if a show is listed to start at 12:01 midnight and end at 1:01am the same thing happens-the end of the show is NOT recorded.

I also repeat

The fact that you don't have any issues doesn't mean everyone has no issues with a Motorola box.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Visitor
kathylair

Yes. I have talked to others in this area and they are having the same problem.  It is not one or two minutes it is 5 minutes, 10 minutes up to 37 inutes

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

if you have a scientific atlanta or cisco box and have received the new software and you are recording something and you change the channel, or your watching something on the other tuner and change that channel the dvr will stop recording that show.  This is a flaw in the software that is suppose to have a fix out later this year.  Does the same thing happen if you dont touch the box when its recording?

Contributor

all sa boxes as per repair tech r nothing more than cisco boxes

WRITE TO CEO

New Visitor
ELM58

There is a setting in the Manage dvr to record up to 30mins after the end of each recording just go to Manage DVR-Series Priority-choose your program -choose modify series setting-view all settings-stop recording time

New Visitor
jfbbbb1

We got a new box and are still having the same issues.  If we add x minutes on to each recording, we will most likely lose something else as we'd then have more than 2 going at a time.

Contributor
robra13

X1 does it too. They must not have their own service.

<script charset="UTF-8" type="application/javascript" src="chrome://hdv/content/hdv.js"></script>