New Visitor
sdipert

Record 2 shows at once?

Can you record 2 shows at the same time?  I've never tried this was want to tonight.

Thanks for any help you can give.

sdipert

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Re: Record 2 shows at once?

if you have a comcast dvr you can record two shows at the same time yes, you can also watch a recorded show on your dvr also at the same time. 

New Visitor
garyNkatie

FYI, you can record 2 things at the same time, but you MUST have the tv on one of the channels you are recording something on.  Or it wont record one of them.

New Visitor
sdipert

Thanks for your reply.  So I can set my DVR for 2 shows?

For Example:

I can set it for 8 - 10 PM and also for 8-9 PM on another channel?

Thanks,

sdipert

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

garyNkatie wrote: FYI, you can record 2 things at the same time, but you MUST have the tv on one of the channels you are recording something on.  Or it wont record one of them.

???

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

you are correct, but rememer if you do that you have to watch one of those shows or watch something previously recorded if your going to watch that tv at that time.  you cannot tape two shows and watch a third unless its something you previously recorded

Contributor

Will comcast EVER update this? It is rediculous to have to watch one of the two shows you want to record. Tonight I wanted to record 2 shows and watch something else that I also wanted to see (because you cannot record more than 2) But I could not do that because you actually have to have one on. So I had to turn my TV off and watch cartoons with my daughter on the small kitchen TV, and I missed the show I wanted to watch. Other cable companies can record multiple shows at the same time with out watching them. ALSO other cable companies can record a show in one room and watch it in another. I am not sure if Comcast has this but it would be nice too.  Does anyone know if Comcast will update their services? Thanks!

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

comast dvr's like most have two tuners so you can only record two things, you would need a third tuner to record 2 and watch a third.  Comast does have multi-room dvr, but that is only in the motorola box market, if you have a moto box you can get that, or you can get another box for another tv,  you can also probably watch the show you missed on demand sometime today or tomorrow.

Regular Contributor

Comcast does indeed have a "whole house DVR" which allows you to record in one room and watch in another - but you have to pay more for it and it is more expensive.

As far as I know, they do not offer the capability to record 2 shows and watch a third.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

multi room dvr is the same price as one dvr but like I said only available in the motorola market

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

rog286713 wrote:

multi room dvr is the same price as one dvr but like I said only available in the motorola market

No it's not the same price.

anyroom price.JPG

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

in NJ one dvr if your not in a promo is 19.99 a month and so is multi room dvr here.  As you know pricing varies by market.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Yes, I know prices vary by market, but apparently you do not, as you keep posting blanket statements that are incorrect.  Check your facts or don't post what you don't know.

New Visitor
dwolfett

They still have not addressed this absurd situation. I want to record two shows and watch a third, but I cant Im forced to watch one of the two I want to record or only record one. The worst sitution ever that still has not been corrected. Horrid service dudes. Not a happy customer.  All the shows I like are on Sunday or Monday and I want to be able to record as many as I like and watch whatever I choose to watch.

Regular Problem Solver
BlueJay

I share your grief and know the pain, dwolfett.    I'm in the same boat on Sundays and Mondays..  It's like the planning of the invasion of Normandy.   :smileywink:     Just kidding.  :smileyhappy:

Just checking which shows are available in OnDemand, is a hassle, because the majority of the shows do not show the Series or Episode or Original date.   :smileyangry:

Maybe one of these days........   just dreaming....    Guess we could all switch to Direct TV.. 

ciao, bj

New Visitor
anothermike

YES, COMCAST XFINITY SUCKS! You would think they'd come up with a BETTER recording system! You can ONLY record 2 shows but have to WATCH one of them or it won't record.

On ATT I used to record FOUR shows at once! I'm stuck with Comcast now in my new building and wish I could go back to ATT! ! !

Contributor
Sazie

Tonight I recorded and WATCHED American Idol on from 8 p.m. until 10 p.m. on FOX.  I also recorded Elementary which was on from 9 p.m. to 11 p.m. on CBS. When Idol had ended, I went to the recorded Elementary, but the show started in the middle. The first hour was not there!! So is there something new we should know besides watching/recording one channel until it is over, then watching the other recorded show afterwards?

Thanks!

Contributor
Sazie

Nobody has an answer for this?

New Visitor
anothermike

[ Edited ]

SUCKS! For instance, you cant record two shows while watching the third!  AND, You MUST be watching one of the two shows you are recording or it bumps off the third.. DUH, If I'm recording it, I wanna watch it later, not as it's being recorded.

I'd go back to ATT in a heartbeat if it was available at my address!!!  

RECORD FOUR SHOWS AT ONE TIME  while watching something else!

New Visitor
demelone

What you probably did was created an overlap of shows making it seem like 4 things were going on at once without realizing it. Here's what I mean.

If you scheduled Elementary to start 1 minute early (or more), since you were also watching idol, the dvr may have detected 4 'actions' taking place (watching idol, recording idol, recording whatever was going on for that 1 minute AND recording Elementary IF it was what was recording for that 1 minute).

It is stupid, confusing and unsophisticated and caused it to cancel Elementary until Idol ended. For that 1 (or more) minutes it detected 3 plus watching which exceeds the limit. Once Idol ended, it was back to 3 or only 1 if you opted not to watch Elementary as it recorded.

Hope that makes sense. Even if it didn't just know you have to be really careful when setting things to start (and end) early or late by any number of minutes. Unfortunately some shows do start earlier since they skip commercials and go right to them. Better to lose a couple of minutes than half a show.  When shows are on the same channel just start and stop on time because what you miss at the end of one will show up at the beginning of the next and so on. Different channels, not going to work (obviously). Don't know if that's what you did but stick with 'on time' if you're going to have 3 'actions' at once - hopefully you'll only miss the 'catch-up part' from the prior week which some 1 hour shows do.

i swear you need a degree in this stuff!

New Visitor
demelone

come to think of it you probably extended idol because it never ends on time - same problem caused just at the backend of Idol (the 10:00 news most likely)

Regular Contributor

JayInAlg wrote:

rog286713 wrote:

No it's not the same price.

anyroom price.JPG

Technology Fee...Ba ha ha ha ha! Comcast can't even come up with a user-intuitive, sensible interface for On Demand. They have a nerve charging us anything for Technology.