New Visitor

The Xfininty guide is horrible, especially the My DVR

The My DVR section sucks, I wish I could go back to the old one. On Demand has less options then the old one. What is wrong with Comcast? I'm going to AT&T.

New Visitor
cbenji

Re: The Xfininty guide is horrible, especially the My DVR

I hate it too!  It sucks, and now if I have two programs recording and one lasts longer than the other it cuts out during the longer one.  It drives me nuts.  I can't believe they are calling this an upgrade.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

the guide records by time scheduled.  If you would like to extend recording of live shows you can set that up in the dvr menu so that it automatically extends live shows if they go over.  The dvr has no way of knowing that your show is not finished yet when it goes to record the new one. 

New Visitor
cbenji

Well since I wasn't complaining about that I find that amusing.  My DVR is quitting in the middle of a recording for no reason.  It only did this since Xfinity upgrade.  Thanks for the tip that I knew I could do all this time though.  Sorry if I sound sarcastic because it is not against you.  I am just annoyed with my Scientific Atlantic DVR that can't handle all the new content that the new XFinity upgrade is.  Don't get me wrong the content will be nice, but they don't have new DVR's for anyone in this area.  They are out of them since everyone else is having these problems.

New Visitor
KeokiJr

Not sure WHY they are calling it an upgrade.  It STINKS to no end.  It use to be plain and simple and straight forward.  Now you need a dang PHD to even figure out how to use the remote with the new upgrade.  The remote does not jive with the new upgrade.  I left Knology because of all the troubles I had with them but if something is not done then I will have to go back to them cause this upgrade STINKS!!

New Visitor
cbenji

I don't know where you live, and I have never heard of Knology.  I had Dish Network before.  Their DVR's are good, but then you have to have something else for your Internet and phone.  I am seriously thinking about switching if I have one more issue.  Comcast raised their rates before they did this ridiculous upgrade and even though it would actually cost me more, and least I would be happy with my stupid television shows.  

I am starting to understand why people complain about Comcast now, and I used to be a happy customer.  There is an obvious disconnect between their technology and what they outlay for their subscribers in overhead.  They were nowhere ready for this upgrade, and I just don't know how they didn't see that.  All the money they wasted on advertising could have been more wisely used in buying DVR's that could have handled the content, and that would have correlated in happy customers.

Regular Contributor
perila123

For one thing on my HD 32" - I use captions because I am deaf.  Now what I get are subtitles that are so large they go right off the screen.  I've written comcast several times and they never have the right answers.  I am also considering other options.

All they care about is advertising their darn - pay demand movies - why don't they just start a new business like Netflix and Blockbuster instead of dumbing every page .

I'm sick of this and I think we should all rebel by writing the business heads of this company.

Regular Contributor
perila123

Last night I was watching a classic movie - got tired half way through and recorded it - the answer I received was:  If you shut you cable box off it will not record.  Well, I wasn't about to leave my tv cable box open all night - so I tried today to see if it was there - Yes. Two minutes and it was gone.

What a rip off. We should report this to the FCC (I believe that is where we can form some complaints)  I'll find out. and let you know.

Email Expert
madylarian

perila123 wrote:

Last night I was watching a classic movie - got tired half way through and recorded it - the answer I received was:  If you shut you cable box off it will not record.  Well, I wasn't about to leave my tv cable box open all night - so I tried today to see if it was there - Yes. Two minutes and it was gone.

What a rip off. We should report this to the FCC (I believe that is where we can form some complaints)  I'll find out. and let you know.

How would you expect the DVR (it's in your cable box if that is the kind of box you have) to record anything it it's not one?  The TV can be off but the box has to be on.  And what is so bad about leaving the box on all night anyway?

mady

Honi soit qui mal y pense
New Visitor
Legendkd

me too because no complaints.  not sure how much people liked comcast, but heard nothing good and have received nothing good out of xfinity.  can't even get out of junk payments that are wrong and hung up on

New Visitor
mattrfl

The DVR had the capability to record shows when you had "turned it off" before the upgrade! That is, it was smart enough to not totally shut itself off until it was done recording the program. Now it does not do so. This is a software change that Comcast screwed up (along with the many other mistakes they've made). Let's lobby for them to return to the old software!!!!

Regular Contributor
perila123

I agree - the old was was the best - but I doubt if they'll ever change itl  Also, another problem I'm still trying to figure out - when I do a 'record' the only note I get is "recording" - then I found that I could also answer with a note: do not delete until I erase.  But the problem is the same tv show Justified on Wednesdays shows ups on my dvr for other times and days and I have to spend time deleting them all.

And yes, it's a pain leaving the cable on - (would a thunderstorm cause a problem) I guess there's no electricity involved so that helps.

Like you said, the designers screwed up - and are only interested in making more money - have you noticed on the FX channel the number of advertisements - unbelievable - I counted eight at one point - that's another boon for comcast GE universal - and I am totallyannoyed with this constant 'movies on demand' banners - they should go the way of Netflix or Blockbuster as another internet web.

Good luck - and I'll sign a petition if you want me to.

Regular Contributor
tstevensufl96

Not sure if you noticed this, but the recordings cut off usually at the moment you start playing a previously recorded program while you are recording a new program. If you are only recording one program, flip to a different channel before starting the previously recorded program. If you are recording two programs, it will cut off. I call this blackscreen. I had a technician come out on Saturday. I showed him, and he basically said there is nothing he can do about it. He played around for a bit and then did a "full download of the software" (this is not just unplugging and plugging back in). Took about 10 minutes. Thus far (2 days), I have not had any recordings cut off. Best I have found thus far. Otherwise, I completely agree with you.

Regular Contributor
tstevensufl96

I am now 3 days without a blackscreen experience! Will keep a few of these boards updated, but have to say, thus far having the technician come out and do a forced full download of the software to the box has worked!

Regular Contributor
tstevensufl96

Unfortunately, I have bad news to report. The blackscreen has returned. It took about 4 days, but it is back. I truely hope that the Comcast/Xfinity software designers are working on a patch for the Scientific Atlantic/Cisco boxes around the clock. Back to my Comcast/Xfinity depression...

Contributor

My DVR is horrible. We  have college degrees and are very computer literate due to our occupations, etc. We are fighting with it. This is so frustrating. What a mess. We called for a service person to come out.

The guide is horrible, and we had to ask for it. We received no prior guide or information.

I could list all our problems we are having--too frustrating. Messages pop up, cover the screen--stops what you are watching. We try to tape one show for every week and it copies everytime it runs or it doesn't copy at all.

Remember, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Who in the world thought this up?

Visitor
solitaryman474

I am having similar problems, in fact I have gone through (3) different DVR's! I went up north to visit my sister & brother n' law. He has comcast with a "Motorola HD DVR" & has Never had any problems; in fact I used it for a week with no problems & I could spell out the Entire show name when I programmed a few shows; not like mine that only allows 4 letters!!:smileyangry: Before I moved here in Kings Point (adult community) that Only allows comcast, I have had Both Dish Network & Direct TV & their DVR's are Great; (Except when we have Bad Storms down here in Florida)No problems with Early cutoff shows I recorded! WAKE UP COMCAST!! If I could go back to Satellite, I surely would!!!

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

you are correct the problems you have are exclusive to the SA market.  Comcast is supppose to be rolling out a fix to those markets in the next six months.  That market is 20% of comcasts customers and were basically take overs and they are trying to fit the new software into those boxes and it has not gone as easy as they thought.   Hopefully it gets better for you and your market soon. 

Contributor

The problems are not exclusive to SA, we have similar problems in Minneapolis. If we had any option other than Comcast we would definitely switch.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

what box do you have there?

Contributor

We have two. They are both Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300 but one of them is HD. I was told by Comcast Customer support that they are working on a fix for this but that was about 2 months ago. This past week we had the DVR record only the commercials for two of our selected shows, as well as the usual jumping to the end.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Comcast is suppose to have a fix coming out sometime this year, from what they say.  The only advise I can give is that dont does the channels when recording, I know that makes no sense but seems to work.

Contributor

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

try to not change the channels when recording was what I meant

Contributor

So it seems that the cable box needs to be on at all times and one should change channels only when not recording. It's hard to understand how Comcast managed to screw this up so badly. These glitches were apparent from the start.

Thanks very much for your help!

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

leaving it on is the best adivce, even turning it off does nothing power wise as it just puts the box into stand bye mode and it still draws the same power

New Visitor
jwanders

I used to have Directv and you could record shows without leaving the box on.

Does this mean if you have shows scheduled for recording at some future date you have to make sure the box is on for that show to be recorded?

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

if you have the box off and a recording is scheduled the box will turn on to record and turn off when done, but like I said the box is never off even though it seems to be its just in a standby mode and is still drawing the same power.

Visitor
solitaryman474

My Xfinity DVR (Cisco RNG200) is Totally Antiquated! I am on my 3RD box & it is Very Frustrating. I can Not get Anywhere with comcast customer service! I also had "DirecTV" whose DVR Totally Blows this [poor excuse] for a DVR out of the water! Unfortunately, the condo community I now live will ONLY allow Comcast