Contributor

Thermostat question

Hi there! When I had my programmable Honeywell thermostat, I had to set to wake/leave/return/sleep based on different days of the week, as usual. I set up rules with my Xfinity thermostat to do the same thing. With the Honeywell, if I wanted to temporarily change the temperature, I adjusted the target temp on the thermostat, and then when the next "rule" time came the thermostat went back to fully automatic. In other words, it did not act like a permanent hold; the next rule overrided my manual change. With the Xfinity, if I bump up the temp on the thermostat itself (not the control panel), it acts like a permanent hold even though the "hold" button is not lit, and the temp itself is never changed by the next rule.This is why I am typing this email at 3:30am - I woke up sweltering. 

So, is, my problem because I changed the temp on the thermostat itself and not from an app or the control panel? Shouldn't the next rule override any manual change if it's not a permanent hold? 

Thank you.

Traci

(I'm real close to reinstalling my Honeywell. Frankly, I didn't need a wireless thermostat anyway. The "old" unit worked fine and I dion't need the ability to change the temperature while away. I just had it installed because it came with the package.)

Official Employee

Re: Thermostat question

Shouldn't the next rule override any manual change if it's not a permanent hold? 

Sorry for the delay in response.  Is this still an issue? The short answer is yes - if you are not putting a "hold" on your set point change, your next rule should affect change to your thermostat as scheduled.  This is regardless of the interface you use - it should be consistent across thermostat, mobile app, touchscreen and the online portal.

Contributor

ComcastTonyM,

I haven't adjusted the thermostat on the thermostat itself since I wrote last, but I am typing this at 1:34 a.m. because I woke up sweltering. My thermostat never followed its rule and went down to 65. I took screenshots to prove it. This time I changed the thermostat remotely (on my phone) and it went up like it was supposed to, but never went down like it was supposed to. I might as well put my old one back in because this is ridiculous.  I'm not sure what a technician can do if he comes out because it sounds like a software issue not hardware.

Traci

Official Employee

Traci - I'm sorry you're dealing with this in your home.  I will follow up privately to get you assistance with direct troubleshooting.

New Visitor
zj92908

Hi Traci-

I just had my Xfinity home system installed this morning & also had the thermostat installed.  I am having the opposite problem than what you have been describing.  I am able to control the temp via the thermostat, however, when I access the thermostat via the web portal or the Xfinity touchscreen, I receive no response from the thermostat.  Coincidentally, the temperature indicated on the web portal & Xfinity touchscreen are different than what the thermostat is actually reading, in-house.  Any ideas?

Contributor

I do not have any problem with the web portal; it always shows the same temp as the thermostat. The iPhone app never shows the correct temp, though, unless I adjust the temp on the app. If I adjust the temp in the iPhone app then it self-corrects and shows the actual temp. I think the iPhone app is a work-in-progress but if you are having trouble with the web app, too, then you may want to call them. I am still having problems with my thermostat not following rules, though. Very frustrating but otherwise overall I am satified with the service. Just not the thermostat.

New Visitor
waters5306

Hi Traci, thanks for the note back. Comcast is sending a technician out tomorrow morning...I'll keep you updated. Thanks again!
New Visitor
Bob1702

The CT30 Radio Thermostat has been working more or less properly in HEAT mode. BUT! Now it's time for cooling and there's a big problem.
Placing the thermostat in COOL only works until the next programed temp change in HEAT mode, at which time, the thermostat jumps back to HEAT. Even if I set the thermostat to Manual, it will not stay in HEAT.
This sounds like a problem with the thermostat itself to me so I called Radio Thermostat support and was told the thermostat has no ability to malfunction in such a manner.....that Id have to contact Xfinity.
Any solutions?
Contributor

Did you turn off the rules that control heat? 

Traci

Regular Problem Solver
C_DM

If there are still some sort of issues with the thermostat changing on its own (even if the heating rules have been disabled) you can try using the HOLD functionality once you set it to cool and set a paritcular temperature, and that should hold it at whatever you set and not change based on any programed/rule changes.