Contributor
SirAaron

Xfinity Home Security and routing questions

Does anybody here have any experience with Comcast Home Security's setup?

I have a home security system that I've never armed or had monitored.  I was thinking of signing up for service and the Comcast Xfinity Home Security system with it's touchscreen keypad looked pretty good.  So I call Xfinity Home and have to wait on hold for several minutes (and this is to sign up).  Then they tell me they don't do consults but they can setup an installation appointment.  So I do that and they give me a five hour appointment window 12-5PM.  Not only that but you have to answer the phone two hours ahead of time or they simply cancel your appointment.  How awesome is that?  I love taking an entire day off work.  So a guy shows up 2 minutes before 5PM and had nothing with him.  Nothing.  No equipment to install, no manuals to show me, nothing.

Ok, I realize that rant is beside the point.  So talking to him he tells me that they install some unnamed piece of equipment between my modem (which may have to be replaced since he informs me it is end of life) and my router.  He further says that he doesn't like working with Apple routers since they have to be set in bridge mode to be able to work with said unnamed piece of equipment.

So I start having alarms go off.  First, nobody but me touches my router settings.  Second, what is this piece of equipment?  I think it must be some other router.  Do they put that router in bridge mode?  Doesn't sound like it which means mine would be the bridge.  But why do they need a second router?  Why can't I add the equipment to my network and simply open ports or a DMZ to equipment?

Does anybody have any experience with Xfinity Home Security's setup?  I'd like to figure it out so I can see if it will work for me (after all, it seems an actual Xfinity person with knowledge of their products seems to nonexistent).  Right now, I'm thinking I'll have to scrap Xfinity.  It's a shame because their products look ok and the installation is a good price.

Networking Expert
Baric

Re: Xfinity Home Security and routing questions

I have no expereince with their security service and no clue what equipment they install.  From your post it does sound like they are installing a router/bridge of some sort, and I'm with your, no one touches my router settings but me, certainly not some nameless tech with unknown skills or intent.  I have an Apple Time Capsule in bridge mode and I know setting it that way is a 10 second operation, which makes me question the skill level of the tech.

Contributor
SirAaron

Do you know what the effects would be if they added a router between mine and the modem?  If they set that router in bridge mode will mine still do the routing including the DNS?  Or will mine necessarily have to bridge?

I really don't understand the necessity of setting up a router upstream from mine.  Actually, it seems to me from my limited experience to be better to set it up downstream from mine on a seperate subnet...but I'm not a networking expert.  I'm just a little leery of having somebody with less expertise than me installing anything like a router or modem.

Networking Expert
Baric

I couldn't say, really.  It all depends on what they install and how they have it configured, and what their sensor requirements are.

As for it is NEEDS to be between your router and the cable modem, again, no clue.  It may be that the firmware in whatever they install needs have a public IP (for whatever reason, I can't think of one), in which case it would need to be first.  But my suspicion is (on little to no information, mind you), is that someone far back in Comcast said "We will do it this way because we don't want to deal through whatever router the customer has", etc, not that there is any technical reason if can't be BEHIND your router.  But again, pure guesswork on my part and there may be a very good technical reason for putting it first, I just don't know.

The best bet is to call Comcast and ask.  If you get someone who doesn't know, then ask for someone who DOES know and can speak intelligently about their security service and hardware setup requirements.

another option is to send a PM to one of the moderators here and maybe they can find out for you. 

Or post in the Comcast Direct forum over on BBR (oops, all of BBR is offline at the moment, ACK!)...

New Visitor

Hi SirAaron,

I would like to answer each of your questions concerning the Xfinity Home Product.

Second, what is this piece of equipment?  This piece of equipment that you're referencing is what we call the "Security Router" its purpose is to facilitate the communication between your Xfinity Home Security devices with your home network as well communications outside of your network (e.g. viewing videos, adjusting your thermostat, viewing videos, etc.)

Do they put that router in bridge mode?  No, we don't put the router into bridge mode, we require our "Security Router" to plug directly into the cable modem which means that your personal router will need to be placed into bridge mode.

But why do they need a second router?  The second router is needed to create a private network that is dedicate to Xfinity Home.

Why can't I add the equipment to my network and simply open ports or a DMZ to equipment?  At this time our product doesn't support the user administering the router configs as they could potentially cause a degradation of their Xfinity Home service. In the next few months however, we will be introducing a gateway that will allow users to fully manage and configure their network to their liking.

Networking Expert
Baric

XH_Engineering wrote:

Why can't I add the equipment to my network and simply open ports or a DMZ to equipment?  At this time our product doesn't support the user administering the router configs as they could potentially cause a degradation of their Xfinity Home service. In the next few months however, we will be introducing a gateway that will allow users to fully manage and configure their network to their liking.

That last sentence is very, very scary, considering the absolutely hideous way in which Comcast rolled out and continues to issue the all-in-one Xfinity Wireless Gateways, which are total junk.  Anything other than connecting your required box BEHIND the customer's router or perhaps provisioning the cable modem for two publicly connected systems, one for the customer's router and one for the security router, is a BAD idea.  I can just see the problems now when the these new "gateways" fail to perform or work as well as the existing customer routers.  But maybe I will be pleasently surprised.. hey, it could happen...

Connection Expert
EG

HEAR HEAR !!!

Contributor
SirAaron

[ Edited ]
Thanks XH for answering. I kinda figured that out via PM with other customers. There is absolutely no way that a router is going between my modem and my router, much less one I don't control. I don't have a lot of experience with subnets and bridging routers which makes me extremely concerned about securing my network. Furthermore, I'd be concerned about which router would be controlling the DNS address since I use opendns.

So I've decided not to use some other security provider. Bottom line is anything less than behind my router is unacceptable.
Contributor
SirAaron

[ Edited ]
Baric:

Comcast issues normal modems too, right? My modem is end of life and if I got a "gateway" as a replacement I'd be looking for other options.

(although I heard the gateways are not compatible with xfinity home security so maybe that answers that question). I did get ahold of some supervisor but I'd already figured it out through my own research. I'd drone on about my complaints but....
Networking Expert
Baric

[ Edited ]

For Internet serivce, yes, they issue regular cable modems or EMTA's (cable modems with telephony functions).  Availabilty and models vary by region.  If you need just a bare cable modem, I highly recommend you buy your own (Motorola SB6120/SB6121 or Zoom 5341J) and save your self the $7/mo rental fee.  If you have Voice service, your options are more limited, you either buy the EMTA from Comcast or rent it from them.

New Visitor
Glenn-Kaufman

My brother just had the Home Security installed. The device placed between his airport extreme and the cable modem was a Netgear wireless router. This thing is absolute garbage and didn't take but 10 minutes to start locking up. He has been working on this set up for hours now with customer service. His whole reason for converting (reluctantly) to Apple devices was for reliability. He has managed to get a nice network setup. And with this POS at the forefront of his Internet connection, he is now completely lost his reliability of his network. He is very happy with the security add on to his home, but at the cost of his network? I was going to sign up for this in my area as well, but with this road block, I can no longer even think of it until there are some serious hardware bugs worked out!
New Visitor
letranger

Hi, I had Xfinity Home security setup a few days ago. They add a "customized" netgear router between the modem and your router. Not sure what the customization is all about - but the tech said that I couldn't use it as a replacement for my router. Everything seems to work but unfortunately this has caused a problem for me. I have a few other devices I access on my home network when I travel, and I had opened up a couple of ports for that purpose. It now looks like the IP address my home router uses is not a public IP address, so I can no longer access my devices. Not sure what to do .. anybody experience the same situation?

Networking Expert
Baric

I don't know if they will do this, but they CAN if they want to - Call and tell them you have a problem with you network connection through their device and insist they install a second cable modem dedicated to the security router.

New Visitor
JonSS

HI,

I hope you don't want to actually hear the alarm go off or the neibors or the buglar himself. It was alright at first then I realized that only the controlling touch screen has the speakers. They are not loud enough to hear while upstairs. I had someone come in while I was sleeping and I did not even wake up until I got the text on my phone from the company. So i started leaving it in my bedroom but then I accidently set it off while downstairs and did not even hear it. If I was coming to rob the place I would have not even been scared away. I called to see if I could get another device for my downstairs and they said I was not in the correct state to have two wireless touch screens. So I’m stuck in this contract with a security system I cannot even hear when it goes off. My wife is so upset and I'm going to have to get security from another company now because we don't feel safe with an alarm that can't be herd in the whole house. If you have a studio apt. then this is a great system.

Jon

Contributor
garlicka

I had Xfinifty Home Security put in 4 weeks ago, they added a 2nd Netgear in place which is locked down and they will not tell you the password to get on.

It had actually being working well for 4 weeks until 2 days ago - I now can't do VPN anymore - I know it is the Home Security Router since when I connect my Laptop direct to the cable modem , everything works.

I have been on hold and passed through to 5 different people who don't have a clue how to troubleshoot this problem - at one stage they said I need to hard reset the Router they provided but if I did that it would wipe out the security settings and settings for the Router.

They don't know the password the Router so I can't even troubleshoot myself.

Frustrating to say the least

Contributor
garlicka

Hello just wanted to give an update - after 2 engineers came to my house to try and sort the problem out

I have had a 2nd tech out at my house today and was informed that no one is allowed the password to logon to the netgear.

I understand the lock down but I can't do VPN since it is blocking it...soon as I take the Home Security Netgear Router away it works perfect.

They said to get me around the situtaition they might have to run a second line and give me a 2nd cable modem box and put the security on 1 box and my other stuff on another.....a bit extreme ...all I need is the password to logon the box so I can allow it.

Networking Expert
Baric

The two cable modem solution is your best option, short of cancelling your Security service.  It's clear to me the folks at Comcast rushed this design into use without fully considering the effect on existing customer home networks.  Never allow Comcast to place a router or similar gateway device (except for a cable modem/EMTA) between your network and the Internet.  They can't be trusted to do it properly and not adversely affect your network.

This same kind of issue came up in the early days of Comcast's phone service, the cable modem/EMTA's back then were pure junk, either the modem part worked and the EMTA didn't, or vice versa, so it was common to use one device for Internet service and one for phone only service.  It was also useful in situations where the cable outlet was not near phone outlet.

In your situation, it's the ideal solution since it avoids your network going through their crappy gateway.

Contributor
garlicka

Hey Baric

I agree - I spent another 3 hours on the phone yesterday with this folks and I got comments from "Oh they should of installed a 2nd line to begin with as normal procedure" to "We don't care if you leave us you have noboby else to use as your provider so good luck"

I got the solution working - they don't like it but since they won't fix it I am using it.

I put my Router first in front of the Home Security Router and then rebooted the Touchscreen, I now can use all my VPN, my VOIP phone does not die now after 6 secs and I can remote into my security from the internet and view my cameras and set the alarm.

I am very angry with comcast but like they say....what can I do...nothing and trying to talk to someone who does not have an attitude is hard.

Contributor

Hey Garlicka

I am running into the same issue you are. Comcast's security router is blocking all ports so external requests aren't making it to my router. 

Question for you, do you know what the negatives are of what you did with putting your router in front of theirs? I am thinking about trying it but wanted to understand. I assume the biggest risk is if your router goes down then your security system goes down (the sensors might not be able to talk to the touchscreen?). The touchscreen has cell backup so if you router goes down I assume the alarms would go through to the central monitoring system.  Do you know if Comcast is doing everything over port 80/443 for their security system? 

Thanks.

New Visitor
OGeeItsMe

I just had the Home Security system installed a week ago as well.  I could view live video from the cameras with my laptop while I was home, but when I took the same laptop out of town and tried to view the cameras, I got a failure to communicate error.  I could navigate all other portions of the site, but it was just the cameras that wouldn't work. First line of tech support doesn't have any answers and the techs in the field are puzzled too.  The tech who installed my system is keeping in contact with me to resolve the issue because the Tier 2 tech support is not returning my calls (my issue was "elevated" after first line couldn't solve it).  I've been bounced around by Comcast since the evening after the install.  Xfinity Home Technical Support does not return my calls -- probably because they are inundated.  They rolled out this new product in a very poor manner.  After reading the posts on this site, I contacted the tech and told him about the second security router that is being discussed. He is not sure this is the issue but wants to be out at the next appointment to try to resolve this for me.  At the same time, I do not want to waste his time.  Does anyone think the second router will solve my issue?

Contributor
garlicka

Hey Baloo75

You have a complete valid point with how I have mine setup - On the 1st question - I see no downside on having it with what I have done - you do have to reboot the touchscreen else the camera's freak and never work but once I did that it all works.

Yes if I lose power to my router then the outside would be down, no streaming camera to the head office and since the brains is the touchscreen as long as the backup cell works - I have not tested.

I have another (4th) tech coming tomorrow and I will keep getting them to come until they fix it since I paid $500 for this installation and over $45 a month and the thing basically is stopping me working - it is only because I actually work from home as a IT Engineer have I got it working myself. I told comcast about what I did and they said "It is wrong to do that" so I said "Fix it then".

With regards the ports open, I just can't tell - I run a nmap and it shows 443 and 80 as open but getting information from Xfinity Home to what ports they have is hard.

I will add I also have a Cisco ASA FW which today I decided to run the Cable Modem to the Outside Port and then 2 Cables going from the ASA to both routers (mine and theirs) - everything is working perfect and when I try and access the cameras over the internet I do see ports 50587 opening - but I digrese since this is just my situation - I have now put everything back as comcast installed so when their engineer comes we will see what solutions will occur

Thanks

Contributor
garlicka

OGreetsitsMe

I had the same problem with the camera also using 2 routers - once I rebooted the Touchscreen it worked - however after about 1 week I lost contact, rebooted the router and everything has been up so far .....keeping an eye on it.

New Visitor
ChrisIanSmith89

So I have worryed about issues with the netgear between my wireless router. My child had pressed the wireless on/off button and I didnt notice it for 2 days ro so and everything worked fine. I then put my router behind my comcast modem, and then plugged in the netgear for ny xfibty home in port 4 of my wireless router. All funtions from the news , sports etc still work. All of my sensors are still working and I have 100% signal from the wifi on the touch screen. My whole network is faster is speed. I ran speed test with the netgear between my router. I would have a 25-30 ping, 12 download and 4 upload. I now get a 15-20 ping, 15+ down and 6+ up. If you have xfinty home, i would say put ur router behind the xfinty modem and then plug in your home security netgear in the last port of your router.
Contributor

Hi Garlika,

Wondering if you ever got any more information from comcast on this.

Hi Chrislan,

Sounds like you had a similiar experience to Garlika in swapping the routers. It sounds like the sensors don't use the router to talk to the touchpad because you said you had wireless turned off for 2 days to I assume the security router. So I am guessing that the security router is just there to ensure there is a "reliable" connection so the touchscreen can communicate to the comcast servers and the cell phone backup doesn't have to kick in very often if it can't. To bad we can't get into the touchpad to change the wireless router it is talking to, then we could just have it talk to our routers and do away with that stupid security router all together. 

New Visitor
ck_123

I have had one installed and the extra router is a problem with apple equipment as it causes the double DNAT but comcast could fix that by giving there security router one pubic IP and assigning a second to your router. (Hint).  I can still access my apple devices from outside.  I woud say the bigest issue is the control pannels.  The keypad is poor as it doesn't have a cover and the control pannel doesn't auto dim to screen off until touch like all the other devices I.  I think Comcast took some other companies device and branded it and their service, so they could get the mark-up.  Maybe I should have looked for that company ...

Official Employee
ComcastTuska

I have some contacts with the Home Security team, if you still have a problem PM me.

Senior Network Engineer, Comcast
v6 Project
New Visitor
ChrisIanSmith89

Yes that is how I understand. The wireless was turned off on the Netgear for the home security. I also noticed when the tech installed everything and was testing the sensors, he layed them out on my kitchen table, and they where all close to the touchpad. From what I noticed the 2 days that the wireless was off, I was unable to log in from my phone, I didnt try the web portal. also None of the apps on the touchpad worked. I think it works well because the touchpads settings are setup to only see the security router, so even tho I switched them around, it still sees the router and the router still has internet so it connects with no issues. I do have the password I saw the tech use to log into the router, but I cannot find the paper I wrote it on. At the same time I would have to put in the tech "ID" number, so I would hate to make a change and get that tech in trouble. I also have noticed a MAJOR change in speed over the past few days. I am now getting 28 download with a 5 Upload or so, with a 15-25 Ping. I myself am a bit worried about the system tho, since everything is wireless I do think that a Wi-Fi/Celluar scambler would scamble the signel and someone would be able to break into my house WITHOUT the alarm going off. Since there would be no way for the touchpad to call out, and it would not know that the wireless sensors had been tripped because of the scambler. Maybe that is something a Comcast tech on here will see and might can answer. The tech that came to my house, was unsure.

New Visitor
ChrisIanSmith89

@Baloo75 ^^^ and any Comcast Tech :smileywink:

Contributor

Thanks Chrislan. I did some research and found that between the sensors and the touchscreen they use the ZigBee protocol http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZigBee and it appears that the security router is just used to talk to the central monitoring system if available, for cameras and for the remote status, if it isn't available then it uses the cell backup to talk to the central monitoring system. A lot of security systems are going wireless now so the scrambler fear while real is pretty standard in the industry. After my vacation I think I will try swapping them also and see if things work better. All I am trying to do is to open a couple of ports so I can remotely monitor security cameras (not the comcast cameras, I have my own). Currently I have to use logmein to log into my server so I can do it and can't use the mobile apps that I had been using. 

Contributor
garlicka

Hi Baloo

Just wanted to give you an update on this - Comcast called me Direct and confirmed this is a known problem and apologised - they said the only work around (apart from a seperate line or other IP addresses) is to do what I am doing - My router in front of the Xfinity Home Router.

Yes after about 2 days you do lose Camera funcition.

Since I work from home - Monday to Friday I have it my way, Friday evening I switch it back so theirs is in front - I know this is not right but at least they admitted it and they are trying to figure out a better way...yes I know it does not make me happy but I am not going to pay more money and they won't help me out - they just confirmed I am ok using this method but don't advise it 365 days a year.

Frustrating yes but I am working at the moment without problem that way

Contributor

Thanks Garlicka, I have done the same thing, moved my router upstream from theirs and it is working great. I don't have there cameras so that isn't an issue for me. The whole reason I had an issue was because I have my own security cameras and couldn't view them outside of my local network. Now everything works great. I have seen no downside of doing this and the security system seems to be working great so I am leaving it in this configuration until they can come up with a better way.
New Visitor

I just had mine installed and can not connect from outside the network, I have a camera system that I can not access any longer!!!!  Not a happy customer!

Administrator
ComcastLarry

thebutners-

Are you still having issues with your XH service?

Thank You

-ComcastLarry-
New Visitor

Yes, I set my Airport Extreme in the DMZ from the home security touch screen, it brought me closer, but still not connecting.  I think in bridge mode, I can't open the port...

Thank you for your reply, Larry B.

Contributor
Daye

The installation of their router is not necessary. 

You simply need to open port 80 on your existing router to ensure they can communicate with the alarm brain. Since most folks ( including the install techs ) do not know what the my first sentence means, they simply install their own hardware that is preconfigured for it. 

At least this is how mine is configured. 

When it was first installed, they couldn't connect to the brain.  I fired up NMAP and ran a scan and noted that port 80 was wide open.  Figuring that was the port they wanted to use, I simply opened up the port on the router and voila.  Done.

Outside of celluar connection issues, no other problems with the setup since.

New Visitor
msquill

Please consider me a complete tech dummy when you answer this question:

First the scenario:

I received Xfinity Home Security yesterday. The tech took my Arris modem/router because "it is not compatible" with the Security service right now. He brought the Arris Interactive, L.L.C. tm602g, NG JRWNR1000, and some other net gear router. 

I have two cameras, 6 sensors, touch screen, alarm wall pad, and 2 key fobs

Because the tech took my original ariis modem/router, my in-home networking had to be reset. Not working properly with new equipment

Cameras were working while being set up, with occasional connectivity loss but would come back up in seconds.

One hour or less after the tech leaves, cameras go down and will not connect anymore.  When I do a connectivity check, it states I have not broadband connectivity.

After several hours of wrestling with this mess I have no internet connection so I decided to disconnect all cables to the routers and modem and start over . . . now I have internet but I still have no broadband connection to the cameras.  I have until Thursday to tell Comcast to shove it without penalty in which I'm 75% for that!!!  Can never, ever, get any new service from them without drama!!!

Now that you have the scenario, here's the question:

How the heck do I hook this up to have internet with in-home networking ability and connection to my cameras.  Remember, networking for dummies book is spanish to me.  Anyone have out of the box step by step for me.  Keep in mind, I was up until after 3 am this morning, in tears, as I work from home and had deadlines.  Also, there's nothing like being excited about something to have it go bust minutes after you receive it.  I do not have my own router, I only have what they gave me: 2 routers, 1 modem.

Thanks!

Contributor
Daye

As I have the older hardware, I'm unable to say with any certainty how the setup works via the newer generation stuff.

On the old hardware, the brain unit acts as a wireless access point and the sensors and cameras talk directly to it wirelessly.  The brain is then hardwired via Cat-5 cable to my own router to give it access to the network.  I simply opened up Port 80 on my router to allow outside access to the brain so the alarm monitoring center can see it.

The new hardware may or may not be this way.  They may have offloaded the wireless function from the brain over to the Netgear router they now supply.

Personally ?

I would tell Xfinity they have until Thursday to get it up and working correctly or they can come pull all of their alarm hardware out.  Plenty of other alarm services out there that can set you up without wreaking havoc with your existing home network. 

Shoddy installation practices are common for Comcast unfortunately.  Had one of their techs " fix " my neighbors cable ( they cut it in half with a shovel ) by running a new one and disconnecting my line from the distribution box and connecting their new line in it's place :smileyplain:    When I told Comcast what had happened, they informed me it would be at least two weeks before they could dispatch a tech to fix my problem. . . . $200 / month for their service and this is pretty much standard operating procedure for them.

*sigh*

Give the other alarm companies a ring and see what they can do for you.  Nothing motivates folks faster than losing a potential sale.

New Visitor
msquill

Hey Daye,

Yep, contacted the original installer first and told him the problem.  I also stated, before he could give me his availability . . . as if I cared, that I needed it fixed today or I would report the issue directly to Comcast and cancel the service immediately.  Not waiting til Thursday . . . he promised he'd meet me there once I get off work.  No show, and I'm done! I think they have some point system with these independent contractors.  They don't like people complaining about them .  . . it's a money thing.

Thanks a bunch!

Recognized Contributor
ryanpg

So some basic information:

The "Security Router" is a netgear, smc or Dory (gateway) device that is locked down by the touchscreen during install. Special firmware is downloading on to the device for the purpose of home security. It creates a wifi that hides its SSID from the public and no tech (that I know of) can log into the router after its secured. The touchscreen and the cameras are the only current piece of equipment that use this wifi. All other sensors use a mesh network running on the Zigbee platform to communicate directly with the touch screen.

Having the security router behind your personal router causes 2 main issues, 1: You may lose the ability to monitor your home remotely. 2: Comcast will use the ability to verify your systems functionality.

On the tech side of the touchscreen there is an option to "Expose personal router to internet". Anyone who has issues with routing needs to see if this option has been tried. 

The alarm is not the loudest, with that in mind comcast dose have secondary sirens available for purchase. 

I hope this has been helpful to everyone.

New Visitor

Has anyone had a problem accessing the XH services through computer, iphone or ipad?  I am constantly getting a "command failed to execute" error.  They have changed my touch screen 4 times, and the XH router 3 times.  Just the other day they swapped out the eMTA.  Is there anything else out there that is causing an issue like this?  Possibly ingress?

Recognized Contributor
ryanpg

This could be a possible rate code issues on the account. I haven't personally seen ingress causing any issues that would shut off your connection to your touch screen. I would call in and once you get someone on the phone ask them to thoroughly go over your account set up to verify all codes are correct. And if you still have an issues there is a second level support team called tier 2 that could probley help. 

Hope that helps!

New Visitor

I am one of the specialized technicians that install the Xfinity Home Security and in response to this I would like to let you know the correct answer to this issue. Any Apple product that belongs to the customer will still be able to be administered by the owner. There is a setting on our XH touchscreen that puts the customer's router into the DMZ. There is a setting in the touchscreen Under "settings" in the home screen"connectivity" and it "exposes customer's router to the internet". I am not sure that the customer can do this on their own as I always do this during the installation.

Visitor

I got my system installed dec 10 and I have had issue after issue and its still unresolved my touch pad and sensors keep losing communication I have not had 24 hours of issue free security.Thurs they should be putting in another system if that dont work i will have it removed I have never been so disappointed in a product. I was lured in by there price and equipment well let me say its no good!!!

Contributor
Konceptz804

XH_SecurityTech wrote:

I am one of the specialized technicians that install the Xfinity Home Security and in response to this I would like to let you know the correct answer to this issue. Any Apple product that belongs to the customer will still be able to be administered by the owner. There is a setting on our XH touchscreen that puts the customer's router into the DMZ. There is a setting in the touchscreen Under "settings" in the home screen"connectivity" and it "exposes customer's router to the internet". I am not sure that the customer can do this on their own as I always do this during the installation.

Its doable by the customer, but the problem is, the security router isn't truly exposing the customer's router to the internet. Certain stuff is still being blocked, and its confirmed by others here on this forum (VPN, VOIP, slingbox, etc cease to function even after being "exposed to the internet"). The only true resolution I've found is to place the security router behind my personal router which I know has a true DMZ function and set it to place the security router in the DMZ. Now this solution breaks the cameras from what I understand but I dont have any cameras and I've had no issues since I've made the change. 

Visitor

I must admit at first our Install and our first month was a  total nightmare truly we had over  150 events in 3 weeks We had it installed Dec 10 finally on Jan 2 a supervisor Scott came out after 3 weeks with this lil device that scanned the frequency in and around our home .What had happened was that our alarm somehow went rouge and it turned out  the cause  was our alarm system on our BMW.Our 6th tech Kevin Marshall he truly should win an award for customer service and work ethic he did a total reinstall of our whole security system and talked with his supervisor to get our credits for our months bill and false alarms. I knew once he walked in that he was going to stay on the job however long it took to solve our problem. He completed the Job Friday he was the first and only tech in the 3 weeks that called On Monday to see if I was issue free with our alarm. I  was so Happy to inform him we went a full 72 hours and not one issue.Im truly glad I was patient and allowed them to find the source of the problem and resolve it.What I was told is my experience was a very rare one that they had only had one other customer that has had the same issue and it was his  boat that was found to be the source of the problem .Im glad that the issue got resolved and that I have a confident working home security system.Once again I really want to thank the Techs Kevin Marshall and Mac Susi For there great customer service to a customer that was at her wits end with frustration.When they left My home I was a very confident that I had resolved my issues.So Im glad to say Im a satisfied customer

Contributor
Jgarrison2

On the 2nd day of XHS install, we experienced a power burp and the netgear router starting having Internet  access problems.  First slow response, then none.  Alarm system worked just fine. 

So to isolate the problem, I removed the net gear router and Internet access returned.  

Without having router admin access to net gear, I cannot manage my own environment.

i will be placing one call to get this resolved, but I don't have much faith on this having a happy ending. 

New Visitor
Techie9

Just got my home security installation today.  I actually use my router to configure power forwarding, QoS, filtering, etc.  Was not happy when Comcast told me I needed to put their router in front of mine.  He couldn't even tell me why Comcast needed to put their first, just that "they like it that way."  Yea, well I don't.  As soon as the tech left, I put my router back to connecting directly to my modem, and have the Comcast security router behind mine.  Works just fine.  Don't listen to them!  You can put their router behind yours.

Contributor
Jgarrison2

Thank you for sharing your experiences.  With the configuration that you now have, can you control your alarm system via the web?  Do the cameras still work.

I wonder what the down side will be with this configuration?  Did you configure the Comcast router to be in a DMZ?

New Visitor
Viccantrell

You can put your router first, but if you have cameras, it will keep you from viewing cameras on any device except the actual touchscreen itself.

New Visitor
riggs170