New Visitor
redroll

Again, outlook express emails vanishing

This has happened so many times that I am really getting sick of reporting it.

I went through my outlook emails and deleted a bunch of stuff.

Then suddenly everything in my inbox after June 18 is gone. I did not delete any of these things that are suddenly missing.

I get the "beep" that a new email has come in, but that email does not appear in my outlook express. I have to log onto Gmail or comcast to see that particular email.

I chose outlook express because I could combine all my emails into one place. But every time I try to do a cleanup, I lose a month or so's worth or emails and then cannot receive any more into it.

What do I do?

Mac Expert
Joel

Re: Again, outlook express emails vanishing

Outlook Express has a storage limitation of 2GB, so if you're attempting to store more than that, it's probable that OE's database is/has become corrupt. Google can help you rectify this if you wish. A better solution might be another free alternative that doesn't suffer the same problem, say Thunderbird...

If your problem is not related to excess mail storage, please post back and let us know.

New Visitor
redroll

How can google rectify this? If you know.

Email Expert
CCCarole

In OE, Inbox> under View:  Is 'Show all messages' ticked?

After deleting a bunch of messages, did you compact all folders?  (File>Folder>Compact all Folders)

This should be done on a regular basis.  If you haven't done it recently, do it now.

Do you still have a large number of messages stored in the Inbox of OE? If you have too many messages in the Inbox, you may not have room to download more. If you do, I would suggest opening the Inbox first, then click on File>Folder>New and create a folder to store old messages that you want to keep in it, instead of the Inbox.  You can move an open message to the folder (s) you create by:  In the open message window, click on File>'Move to folder'.

If none of these suggestions help you, do a search for Outlook Express is corrupted.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Bronze Star Contributor

Thanks Carole, I did the compacting and Outlook Express started accepting new messages again.

How often are you supposed to do this and can you tell me what exactly it does to the messages?

Is there anyway to recover the lost messages or do I have to go to comcast and gmail and send them to myself again in order to get them on my Outlook Express?

Email Expert
CCCarole

schwa,

Outlook Express normally will start compacting at every hundred messages.  The compact window will come up.  BUT- I play it on the safe side and tend to compact every few days because I receive loads of messages on a daily basis.  Here is a pretty good link that explains the why and what it is doing>  Clickable link

Now- Have you gone ahead and created a Folder to save messages in, instead of leaving them all in the Inbox?  It is easy to do, and I do think you should.  Remember that you only have 2 G in OE.

Unless you have created a Back-Up already, -see this >LINK

If you have never created a back-Up to store messages, you will need to download them again.  You can create a rule in OE for handling messages coming into to the Inbox, to read those directions, click on Help in OE and type in 'Rules'.

Let us know if you need further help.

CC

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)

Bronze Star Contributor

Interesting, I don't think my OE is automatically compacting messages. I never get the compact window. I will start doing it manually. I get tons of emails and most of them I need to save. I created folders under "Local Folders" for each year from 2005-2009.

I haven't created a backup. Will do that. When you say download again, how do I do that? And will it download EVERYTHING in my gmail and comcast? Is it better to just forward the individual ones that  want? I just spent 1/2 hour forwarding the past 3 days and I have a month and a half left to go back to June 18.

Email Expert
CCCarole

schwa wrote:

Interesting, I don't think my OE is automatically compacting messages. I never get the compact window. I will start doing it manually. I get tons of emails and most of them I need to save. I created folders under "Local Folders" for each year from 2005-2009.

I haven't created a backup. Will do that. When you say download again, how do I do that? And will it download EVERYTHING in my gmail and comcast? Is it better to just forward the individual ones that  want? I just spent 1/2 hour forwarding the past 3 days and I have a month and a half left to go back to June 18.

You can forward just the emails you want but keep in mind, when you forward them, they will show as having come from YOU, not the original sender.

At some point, you might want to consider saving those tons of messages on a CD....?  Schwa it is just a matter of time and Microsoft will stop supporting Outlook Express.  MS has already moved on- it appears, from Windows Mail (part of Vista) to Windows Live mail.  Now- I don't know when this will happen, but it will.