Regular Contributor
Accepted Solution

Annoying Ads

Probably nothing can be done about this, since it's making Comcast money, but I thought I'd voice my opinion.  Capital One has a very annoying ad at the very top of my home page.  It's one of those "expanding" ads that get bigger when you run your mouse over it.  It has a "close" button and also a message that says something about moving over off the page to get rid of it, but none of this works.  You have to spend some time trying to navigate your way around all the *&%$ to get to your e-mail buttons.

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Annoying Ads

That does sound particularly annoying.  Shee, don't they check on these things before running them out?

Is the add in your email inbox? You can remove ads from the email tab of webmai..  Under the right skyscraper ad, click the link "ad info" and select "turn off email ads".  You will need to sign out and sign back in for the change to take effect.

Regular Contributor

No, it's on the Xfinity Home Page.  When I try to click on my e-mail button, that's when the ad takes over.  I'd rather use my Comcast e-mail than Yahoo, but this kind of thing makes me wonder if it's worth the bother.  To me, it's an invasion of my privacy and I absolutely hate anyone or anything taking over my computer.  I have all kinds of pop-up blockers, firewalls and the like, but it doesn't get rid of everything.  Netflicks ads are famous for ignoring blockers.  I don't know how they do it.  Thanks for replying anyway.

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

Thank you for the idea to Opt Out. It didn't get rid of this Capital One ad for zero to card in 60 seconds. It's on the main Comcast page. However, I tried the Ad Info button below it as well as Ad Feedback below it.

And I complained about needing to go to the Comcast main page to get to the online email.

Contributor

I agree.Capitol One pop up on home page is very annoying and frustration.  Comcast doesn't seen to do anything about complaints for us who pay them big bucks for service. I'm ready to change from Comcast. Anybody have thoughts about changing? Thanks for listening!!

Regular Contributor

Thanks for telling us about the "complaint" option.  I hadn't seen that.  I complained there too, but doubt it will do any good.  Money talks.

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

billinden wrote: ... Capital One has a very annoying ad at the very top of my home page. ...

Feeling adventuresome? Edit your HOSTS file:

• Start / Programs / Accessories / Notepad / right-click - run as administrator
  • File / Open "%SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc\HOSTS."
  • Add these two lines to the end of the file:

0.0.0.0    oascentral.comcast.net      #Comcast webmail ads
    0.0.0.0    pn1.adserver.yahoo.com    #Comcast webmail ads

Regular Contributor

Man, this sounds like fun and would give me a great feeling of power and satisfaction.  (Capital One is a longtime enemy of mine).    You don't happen to know how to do the same thing on a Mac, do you?  Thanks.

Silver Problem Solver
reasd

[ Edited ]
Hello,
Give this a try:
Open Terminal:

type

sudo cp /etc/hosts /etc/hosts.backup

then enter

You'll be asked for the logged in users password. If there isn't one just hit enter.

Next

sudo pico /etc/hosts

You will be dropped into the pico file editor.

If you want to read up on the pico editor type

man pico

in the terminal window before you begin to see what it's functions and commands are.

Regular Contributor

Sorry, but you lost me at "open terminal".  Not sure what that means.

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

He's referring to the Terminal app that lets you type commands; it's like the DOS command line. It's in Applications/Utilities, but I'm really wary of suggesting someone unfamiliar with Terminal use 'sudo' commands. 'sudo' is super-user do to force things to happen. In fact, my system is locked down enough that my username is not in the sudoers list, so I can't easily check out what you'll see without logging in as my system administrator directly.

See this xkcd comic: http://xkcd.com/149/

pico is an editor. It has command hints at the bottom. ^ stands for control, so ^-O means hold down control key and letter o to write out what you changed.

If you really want to do this, open Terminal from Applications/Utilities. Type the code shown in the bold mono-spaced font being sure to have spaces shown. Press enter at the end of code text:

sudo  cp  /etc/hosts   /etc/host.backup          this makes a copy so you can get it back

You'll be asked for the logged in user's password. Hit enter if there isn't one. 

sudo  pico  /etc/hosts              this puts you into the pico editor to change /etc/hosts file

Move around with the arrow keys (not the mouse) to add the lines you need. Save the file by writing it out. 

Email Expert
madylarian

An alternative is to use an ad-blocking program.  I (and many others) use the AdBlock Plus add-on with the Firefox browser and am blissfully unaware of those obnoxious things.

mady

Honi soit qui mal y pense
Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

[ Edited ]

billinden wrote: Sorry, but you lost me at "open terminal".  Not sure what that means.

Madylarian's suggestion is probably best. It's interesting to note that Adblock is the #1 Most Popular add-on at both Safari Extensions Gallery (http://extensions.apple.com/) and Add-ons for Firefox (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/). If you use another browser, chances are good there's an Adblock for it as well.

Regular Contributor

Thank you all very much.  I'll try the ad blocking idea.  Much appreciated.

Regular Contributor

"AdBlock Plus works great!!!  Thanks again.

Email Expert
madylarian

billinden wrote:

"AdBlock Plus works great!!!  Thanks again.

Great!

mady

Honi soit qui mal y pense
Contributor

I am computer challenged so I really appreciate all these tips. Can you tell me how I get to adblock on comcast? Also, how do I change fonts and sizes, When I try to do it, the system always reverts back Arial and ten point. Thanks again for all the help.

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

[ Edited ]

101051 wrote: I am computer challenged so I really appreciate all these tips. Can you tell me how I get to adblock on comcast? Also, how do I change fonts and sizes, When I try to do it, the system always reverts back Arial and ten point. Thanks again for all the help.

Please post the Windows or MacOS version and the name and version of the web browser you use and we'll try to help.

Regular Contributor

I might ad that the only downside appears to be that this AdBlock program also does away with warning pop-ups.  So far, the only thing I've noticed is when I shut my computer down, I used to get a warning askng me if I'm sure I want to shut down.  I don't miss it at all and it's worth it if the ads go away.  However, I'm wondering what else it might do away with.  I'm sure nothing important and I'll put up with it to get rid of ads.  Thanks.

Contributor

Thank you. I have Toshiba LP, Windows 7 Vista, go though Internet Exploret to get to Comcast. Is this the info you eed? Thank you.

Email Expert
JR071702

billinden wrote:

I might ad that the only downside appears to be that this AdBlock program also does away with warning pop-ups.  So far, the only thing I've noticed is when I shut my computer down, I used to get a warning askng me if I'm sure I want to shut down.  I don't miss it at all and it's worth it if the ads go away.  However, I'm wondering what else it might do away with.  I'm sure nothing important and I'll put up with it to get rid of ads.  Thanks.

Bill,

The AdBlock Plus only affects browser pop-ups - it should have nothing to do with the pop-ups on shutdown.

JR

Regular Contributor

That's strange since it started immediately after I added the block.  Oh well.

New Visitor
irritatedkmk

I will never view any of your online news videos or articles if I am forced to watch stupid ad videos that I am not interested in.  Gmail doesn't do that.  TOTAL WASTE OF MY TIME.