New Visitor
hdbanky

CAN I STILL HAVE COMCAST AS MY EMAIL IF I DISCONTINUE THE COMCAST INTERNET?

We canceled comcast service and I'm wondering if I can still have comcast as my email name and what do I do if not. Thanks to anyone who has the answer and Happy Turkey day.

Mac Expert
Joel

Re: CAN I STILL HAVE COMCAST AS MY EMAIL IF I DISCONTINUE THE COMCAST INTERNET?

Comcast does not offer "stand-alone" email service; it is only provided in conjunction with internet service. Prior to canceling your service, you should take action to notify all senders of your new email address. While your email account may remain active once your internet service is deactivated, there is no set amount of time that it will remain active and it may be shut off at any time. One should assume that it will be shut off when your service is shut off.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

[ Edited ]

IF YOU OR ANYONE ELSE USES SMARTZONE TO ACCESS EMAILS:

when your cancellation becomes effective, you will lose access to any mail and your address book in SmartZone. If you want to save the mail, you will have to set up an email client (Outlook Express, Outlook, Windows Mail, Thunderbird, etc) to work with Comcast mail. Your SZ inbox messages will be downloaded to the client from the Comcast server.  They will be stored on your computer, not the server.

Mail in folders will need to be moved to SZ inbox, so they can download to the client.

You can export your address book from SZ, then import it into the client.

When you get a new ISP, you can change the settings of the client Comcast account to those of your new ISP.

Now for something that has nothing to do with Comcast email:

When your Comcast equipment is picked up or turned in, GET A RETURNED EQUIPMENT RECEIPT. Make sure it documents that what you returned is a modem or tv boxes. If there are any stickers with serial or MAC numbers, make sure those numbers are on the receipt. Keep the receipt in a safe place, don't forget where you put it. In the past, Comcast has billed customers for equipment that had been returned. Sometimes they lose track of the equipment and the receipt will be your proof that you turned it in to Comcast.

If you ship the equipment to Comcast, record tracking numbers. Keep those numbers in a safe place. You will need them later if Comcast bills you for the equipment.

You can also check the status of shipped items on the delivery company webpage. When you see it was delivered, print screen the delivery status. UPS also offers Track By Email. Use that option. You'll be notified when it is delivered. Save the email-again this will be proof it was received by Comcast.

If you use the USPS, send it registered mail and ask for a delivery receipt. You can also get a tracking number and can check online for proof of delivery. Again, print it out.

Print out the delivery confirmation (if your computer crashes and you lose the info the print out will be your proof of return) This should also be kept in a safe place where you can get to it if needed.

I know from experience that having the receipts can save you a lot of headaches. I was able to pull out my receipts when a collection agency notified me I owed for Comcast equipment that had been returned.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Most Valued Poster

That's the number one reason why I never use my ISP's e-mail.  If for some reason I decide to change ISP's I don't have to go through the hassle of notifying everyone to change my address.  I've used the same e-mail address for the past 10 years ............ 

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Contributor
beaverton

sadly, once account is cancelled, so is email.

Unless there is an active account that you can have email be put under, you can still keep the email.

What you have to do is look for an account that is willing to have your email be put under theirs, please get the account details so we can transfer your email so it will not get deleted. Once you have these information, please chat back with us so we can process the transfer before it gets removed in the system.

Or if you have another email to use like Yahoo, Gmail or MSN, you can use True Switch to copy your data and forward your emails from the Comcast email to the new one.

Please visit this link for more info. http://trueswitch.com/

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

[ Edited ]

One thing to be aware of with trueswitch.

Or if you have another email to use like Yahoo, Gmail or MSN, you can use True Switch to copy your data and forward your emails from the Comcast email to the new one.

Please visit this link for more info. http://trueswitch.com/

It will only forward Comcast mail if the account has not been cancelled. Once you cancel, mail sent to your Comcast address will be returned to the sender, because the address no longer exists.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

beaverton wrote:

Unless there is an active account that you can have email be put under, you can still keep the email.

What you have to do is look for an account that is willing to have your email be put under theirs, please get the account details so we can transfer your email so it will not get deleted. Once you have these information, please chat back with us so we can process the transfer before it gets removed in the system.

This is NOT a good idea.

1) Someone agrees to do this for you, then later decided he/she wants to use the maximum number of accounts for him/her self or for his/her family.  Guess which account gets deleted. YOUR Comcast account.

2) The person decides to cancel Comcast and once again you face the prospect of having your email account disappear.

3) You want to make changes to any of these:

Spam filter 
Email forwarding 
Email auto-reply 
Email restrictions

You have to contact the account holder to do it for you if the account is a restricted account.  Most likely it would be because I doubt the account holder would give you unrestricted status, as that would also give you access to the Comcast bill.

Then you have to wait for that person to make the changes and let you know they have been made.  You are at the mercy of that person. This is a lot different from you or someone in your house being the primary account holder. 

New Visitor

My house just burned down, and naturally I lost my Comcast connection. I called and asked if I could keep my email because that is what most people have as my address. The Comcast person told me that the only way I could keep my email was to pay $60 a month to keep a broadband connection that, naturally, I cannot use. So $60 a month for an email address. I love the post that says let all your email recipients know that you are changing your address. You would think that this heartless, bureacracy-ridden compnay would have provisions for catastrophe.

I immediately received boxes for me to return the two receivers and modem that I had. I called in to someone in Bangladesh or India or somewhere and said that the boxes were destroyed in the fire. The person could not get it that my house had burned down. What a company! 

I will keep paying th $60 a month until I can figure out an alternative to the hundreds of people who have this address. I will never return to Comcast.

Infinity indeed.

Email Expert
CCCarole

I notified the Administrator of your post.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

New Visitor

[ Edited ]

Hello 

I have an email account linked to my internet home service ... (************@comcast.net)

And I would like to link it to my business service since we will be disconecting the internet at home because  we will not be having a home office base anymore 

How can I do that

Can you please help me 

Regards 

O Duarte

Email Expert
CCCarole

osdiduarte wrote:

Hello 

I have an email account linked to my internet home service ... (@comcast.net)

And I would like to link it to my business service since we will be disconecting the internet at home because  we will not be having a home office base anymore 

How can I do that

Can you please help me 

Regards 

O Duarte

Firsr, please edit your post and remove your email address before your email address is harvested by spammers.  The Help Forums are public.

To do:  In your post click on OPTIONS on the right side of the post, then click on EDIT REPLY.  A window opens showing your post.  Remove the email address and re-post.

You will need to call 1-800 comcast and coordinate moving the email address to your business service.

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)

Administrator
ComcastLarry

osdiduarte-

Business customers use domain emails and your .NET email will no longer be useable once the account is disco. Depending on the type of Business service you get that will determine how many email address come with your package.

I've added the link below for your review:

http://businesshelp.comcast.com/help-and-support/email/managing-business-class-email/

Thank You

-ComcastLarry-
New Visitor

When I called yesterday and asked this question, I was told that I could keep my email when Internet was discontinued. Why are tbey telling me this if I am going to lose my emails and contact info.?
Service Expert
Queen-Evie

Stvin wrote:
When I called yesterday and asked this question, I was told that I could keep my email when Internet was discontinued. Why are tbey telling me this if I am going to lose my emails and contact info.?

You spoke to a clueless person.

Email Expert
CCCarole

I think the Comcast Rep didn't know what he/she was saying.  NO- once you leave Comcast, you no longer have access to email or contacts at all.

CC

New Visitor
noelle3213

Strangely enough, I canceled my comcast account last week as I moved to an area without it.  I am still receiving email on that account.  I had no cable as of the day I moved but email is still going strong.  What's up with that?   

Service Expert
Again

Re: Can I Still Have Comcast As My Email If I Discontinue The Comcast Internet?

noelle3213 wrote:

Strangely enough, I canceled my comcast account last week as I moved to an area without it.  I am still receiving email on that account.  I had no cable as of the day I moved but email is still going strong.  What's up with that?   

Your bill is paid in advance and that is probably why you're still receiving email.  However, it could quit at any time without warning.

"When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be."
--- Lao Tzu ---
"Life is not linear. It's all a circle. Our dust becomes the firmament on which the future walks."
--- © James Scott 2014 ---

New Visitor
ip74

ATT let's you keep on your email.

Heck... I still got a belsouth email from 15 years ago.

They transfer the email hosting to yahoo.

Service Expert
Again

ip74 wrote:

ATT let's you keep on your email.

Heck... I still got a belsouth email from 15 years ago.

They transfer the email hosting to yahoo.

Actually, they don't really "transfer" it.  It was Yahoo all along and once you left Bell South and AT&T your email reverts to the basic free Yahoo email.

"When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be."
--- Lao Tzu ---
"Life is not linear. It's all a circle. Our dust becomes the firmament on which the future walks."
--- © James Scott 2014 ---