New Visitor
savaryis

Can I retain Comcast.net email account though I am now with AT&T?

Hello and thanks for any help someone might be able to give me for this quandry.

Recently I decided to switch over to AT&T to get their bundled service pack, including family cell phones. The one thing that concerned me was holding onto my Comcast.net email address.  The AT&T rep said that it was no problem, he had used his Comcast email address for 3 years thus far, but with another service.  Now that my Comcast equipment has been turned in, my Comcast email sign-in will not work.  My modem is an AT&T & has been, since February.  So it is not a question of internet conectivity.  I'm connected & I thought ATT & Comcast must have an agreement whereby folks could retain their old email names, accounts - in the spirit of customer service.

Contrary to what the AT&T rep told me, it seems that Comcast is NOT like Google (Gmail) or Yahoo, etc.

In my search to resolve this, I have read that some services will charge a small monthly fee to be able to retain one's old email addy, etc.

Any information on this topic? I'm starting to really regret making any changes whatsoever in spite of my quest to lower my bills.

Thanks for your help.

Julie

Regular Contributor
bama-belle

Re: Can I retain Comcast.net email account though I am now with AT&T?

The AT&T rep was wrong. In fact, he lied to you. FWIW, this is not the first time I have seen someone say he/she was told by AT&T you could keep your Comcast email address. Each of those people found out differently when they tried to access Comcast mail after switching to AT&T.

The fact is that when you cancelled your Comcast internet service your email address went bye bye.You will not be able to access anything because it was all deleted from the server when the cancellation became effective.  It no longer exists unless someone else claims it after the 90 day holding period.

There is no agreement between Comcast and AT&T. Comcast has no "retain it for a small monthly fee" plan.

ISP email accounts are tied to an ISP. Gmail, Yahoo,  etc. are not tied to a specific ISP which is why you can keep them as long as you want.

New Visitor
savaryis

Hello and thank you so much for your dreaded answer.  I was afraid of that - dear.  If I were to phone comcast & subscribe just to their email service, could I get my old name/mailbox back along with my unread mail?

Thanks again - so much!

Best,  Julie

Official Employee
ComcastNick

savaryis wrote:

Hello and thank you so much for your dreaded answer.  I was afraid of that - dear.  If I were to phone comcast & subscribe just to their email service, could I get my old name/mailbox back along with my unread mail?

Thanks again - so much!

Best,  Julie

If you called, and had Comcast Internet turned on again, we could easily reactivate your account.  While of course, I would love to have you switch back to Comcast, if you are locked into a contract with ATT you could technically get the Comcast Internet turned back on for a month or however long is needed, get your emails, and switch to using a google or a yahoo email account as your primary email account and notify everyone about your new address.  Then you could go back to ATT for the length of your contract.

Comcast Nick
APSC Supervisor
Regular Contributor
bama-belle

[ Edited ]

As Nick stated your account could be reactivated and you could *possibly* get that user name back. As I stated above, if it has been less than 90 days since the user name was taken out of circulation. After 90 days you can get it back IF no one else is using it.

If you do switch back to Comcast and get the name back, you won't be able to get your unread mail or any mail that was in the Inbox or other folders because as I also mentioned in my post above all of that was deleted from the server and is gone. So it really won't do you any good to go back to Comcast if all you want is the mail that was there.

There would be no new mail in it because the address does not exist and it would get bounced back to the sender.

Bronze Problem Solver

ComcastNick wrote:

If you called, and had Comcast Internet turned on again, we could easily reactivate your account.  While of course, I would love to have you switch back to Comcast, if you are locked into a contract with ATT you could technically get the Comcast Internet turned back on for a month or however long is needed, get your emails,

You're implying that his old email would still be there if he got his old email address back. Shame on you.

Official Employee
ComcastNick

steve-baker wrote:
You're implying that his old email would still be there if he got his old email address back. Shame on you.

If it was only since Februrary, it is quite possible the account is merely deauthorized and not deleted.  I have see emails recovered from older account

Since that would be pretty easy to check, and since we offer a 30day money back guarantee on services, I am not sure why you would see a problem with it.

Comcast Nick
APSC Supervisor
New Visitor

Can I retain Comcast.net email account though I am moving out of your area?

I am moving into area that does not have comcast service so I will no longer be with comcast. Can I still use comcast email address?

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

Re: Can I retain Comcast.net email account though I am moving out of your area?

No. Once the account is cancelled  the email address will no longer exist.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Email Expert
CCCarole

Re: Can I retain Comcast.net email account though I am moving out of your area?

dburroughs wrote:

I am moving into area that does not have comcast service so I will no longer be with comcast. Can I still use comcast email address?

If you are moving, BEFORE you close your Comcast account, there are a couple of things you will want to do.

1-  Export your Comcast address book and save the CSV file so you will be able to import it into youraddress book with whatever email program you will be using.

2-  Go through the Folders you have in Comcast XfinityConnect ans see if there are any emails you want to save.  

3-Consider setting up a Gmail or Thunderbird account and  notify your contacts to start sending to THAT email address now.  In addition, once you set up that new account, you can move you old emails that you want to save to that new account.

CC

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

New Visitor

i dont have att

Email Expert
CCCarole

New Visitor

stop

Email Expert
CCCarole

matty123 wrote:

i dont have att

Do you have a question or problem?  If yes, please post detaile of your problems or questions in a reply.

I am removing your other two posts since they don't have any information either.

CC

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.