Frequent Visitor

Can I still use comcast email if I cancel comcast service and use a different provider?

Can I still use comcast email if I cancel comcast service and use a different provider? 
Most Valued Poster
Most Valued Poster
Me

Re: Can I still use comcast email if I cancel comcast service and use a different provider?

Nope...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Heroes aren't born...they volunteer...
Recognized Contributor

Re: Can I still use comcast email if I cancel comcast service and use a different provider?

In fact, if you cancel your Comcast service, you don't even get a "forward the mail for a month" transition period.  Your email turns into a pumpkin at midnight.  So if you're thinking of leaving, start redirecting your mail before the switch, perhaps to a freebies Hotmail or Yahoo account.
Frequent Visitor

[ Edited ]
Dang, that's harsh.  Makes me not want to deal with them at all.  I've always got the "big corperation/ bottom line" vibe from them.   Their new rainbow colored "because we love you and want you to be happy" webpage just drives it in even more.

Message Edited by Stacker4 on 08-03-2007 11:19 PM
Security Expert
CajunTek

Stacker4 wrote:
Dang, that's harsh.  Makes me not want to deal with them at all.  I've always got the "big corperation/ bottom line" vibe from them.   Their new rainbow colored "because we love you and want you to be happy" webpage just drives it in even more.

Message Edited by Stacker4 on 08-03-2007 11:19 PM

Harsh? why? because you stop paying them and they stop providing a service.. Doesn't seem harsh to me... Seems logical.
TANSTAAFL!!

Frequent Visitor

[ Edited ]
RE: Cancuntek:      "Harsh? why? because you stop paying them and they stop providing a service.. Doesn't seem harsh to me... Seems logical."

Because they won't forward emails for you.  It just seems like bad costumer service/ insentive to come back.  If I had to go through all places that send me emails here I wouldn't want to come back to comcast knowing that I may have to do it again if I use their mail service.    It's not that I don't like comcast's service, I just stopped playing online games that I would need a fast connection for and they are expensive as I have ever seen.

Message Edited by Stacker4 on 08-04-2007 08:27 AM
Service Expert
Again

So, you're saying you want to receive a service that you're not paying for?  Does this mean that once you cancel your cable television service on a certain date you want to continue to receive it until your DishTV gets hooked up and you have service with them for six months?

Seems really logical to me.  Comcast isn't offering a free email service; it's part of their "bundle", so to speak.  In fact, they don't really have to offer email at all, but do.  If you're so worried about this, set up and use a free service email like Hotmail or Gmail or Yahoo.  Then, when you quit an ISP, you don't have to worry about emails being forwarded or having to notify everyone of your change.

"When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be."
--- Lao Tzu ---

"I am you and you are me. Teach me about you and I will teach you about me, and we'll find we aren't so different after all."
--- © James Scott 2012

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

And if you still feel Comcast is cold and harsh, go check all the other major ISP's and see how many will provide email forwarding after you close your account.

"Once I talked to the inmates of an insane asylum in Hartford. I have talked to idiots a thousand times, but only once to the insane..."
Mark Twain

Microsoft MVP, Consumer Security, 2005-2013
Frequent Visitor

[ Edited ]
<Inappropriate comments removed>

Message Edited by Michael on 08-07-2007 11:35 AM
Recognized Contributor
evie210

Stacker, as stated once the Comcast account is cancelled you will lose your Comcast email address. If you rely on webmail, you will no longer have access to it. If this is the case, I suggest you set up an email client and download all your messages to the client. Export your address book also.

Email Expert

Stacker4 wrote:
It just seems like bad costumer service/ insentive to come back. 

Anyone who cancels their service is probably never coming back. How is providing email forwarding "incentive to come back"? It's more like making it easier to leave. Most service providers prefer "lock-in" -- they want to make it painful to leave, so that most customers will not consider it worth the hassle.

Anyway, the ultimate solution to this is to get a third-party address. You can get your own domain and sign up with a mail forwarding service. Or if you belong to a professional society or college alumni association, there's a good chance they provide a forwarding service. These provide you with an address that's independent of your ISP; when you change ISPs, you just update the forwarding service rather than sending out change-of-address notices to all your correspondents.
Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

If you register a domain with GoDaddy, you get free email forwarding included, among other things. As long as your domain is there and current, you will have the forwarding service.

"Once I talked to the inmates of an insane asylum in Hartford. I have talked to idiots a thousand times, but only once to the insane..."
Mark Twain

Microsoft MVP, Consumer Security, 2005-2013
New Visitor

Forwarding email for a limited period of time would be nice tone to set with customers - even former customers.

For those that think this is not good  business, then fine - let me pay for email stand alone from comcast.  Or if I dont want their email, take the cost out of the price I pay for Internet service (a no email option).

New Visitor

Let's also not forget those who may have to move where they can't continue Comcast.....just because you stop being a customer doesn't mean you chose to do so.  I came from Adelphia when Comcast acquired them.  Had to change my email addy because another Comcast customer already had my former one. 

Comcast could make web mail available to such former customers....even for a fee....although a transition time would be a positive PR move.

One solution is to use a forwarder like Bigfoot.  You use their email addy and they forward to your actual email...Adelphia or Comcast or your choice.  Of course, you have to have been using the Bigfoot addy...
New Visitor

along the same lines...

if I move from one coast to another... how do I get my accounts transferred?
Email Expert

Call Comcast before you move and let them know you want to transfer the account to the new home.
New Visitor

Sorry, I think this is BS.

I've been a customer from @home transitioning to AT&T Cable and finally to Comcast, and at each transition, the speed was capped, and the quality of service has degraded.

In the last several years, Comcast has "brought up" the speed to the original @home levels, but in the last year and a half I've seen my "8mbit" slowly tank from 4.5-5Mbit to slightly under 3Mbit...  with Comcast saying there is no problem with their local service here (very oversold bandwidth in my area).

So finally I'm at the point to where I can't stand it anymore.  I've been a customer for over 7 years, having paid many thousands of dollars for deteriorating services on a legacy network they refuse to upgrade. 

At the very least, a month worth of email forwarding wouldn't cost them anything, and not providing it is the last bitter punch in the face.

And oddly, the "turtle" commercials about DSL?  I have just signed on for 6Mbit/768Kb DSL for cheaper than my supposed 8Mbit Cable costs, and I will actually be seeing an improvement in transfer speeds (as compared with a friend's identical DSL to my current Comcast).

Anyways, I was willing to patiently wait until new hardware was installed (even though they're only fixing the network as it breaks instead of upgrading it when it needs it), but the last final straw was throttling bittorrent seeding.  Yes, terms of service.... blah blah.  I've had the same cable coming into the same house for three different companies, and this is the first time that my bandwidth is being shaped... and I'm not downloading illegal software or pirated music, even though that's not the point...  After being a customer all these years, putting up with the BS and not complaining much, if any about it, I'm finally on the way, and they still can't wait to slam the door shut once I'm gone.

Comcast was not bad in the beginning, but  has since gotten too big to care... now it's time to part ways and because of their actions, they'll make me think twice before ever signing up for another Comcast service again (after having their VOIP and dumping it, their internet and dumping it, and soon their Cable TV...  U-Verse or Sattellite, here I come.  *shrug*)

Yes, another meaningful post that will be lost forever in the sea of "they don't really care".

Email Expert

bartelt1508 wrote:
Comcast was not bad in the beginning, but  has since gotten too big to care...

Good luck. I've heard the same complaint about Verizon.