New Visitor
tammythemongoos

Can comcast email be imap? I use Mac OSX Snowy

Hi! I have not changed my settings for my comcast.net email (I use the web mail plus the Apple mail.app client).

I am set up with comcast mail  as POP with port 110 No SSL in the apple mail.app account settings.

Can I make this comcast mail account be IMAP?

If not, should I change the port and click yes to ssl - it says DO NOT CHANGE THESE SETTINGS WITHOUT ASKING YOUR ISP.. so I'm askin'!

This link basically shows how I set things up except I have a different port and SSL not checked. I use the PASSWORD option to authenticate.   http://forums.comcast.com/t5/E-Mail-Help-Forum/Managing-your-Email-in-Mac-OSX/m-p/778503

I apprecaite any advice or suggestions! I will CONTINUE to use mail.app as my mail client. 

THx 

TTM

Networking Expert
Baric

Re: Can comcast email be imap? I use Mac OSX Snowy

No IMAP, sorry.  Comcast does not provide an IMAP interface to the mail servers.  Many have requested it, but those requests have been ignored for public use so far.

As for SSL, I would recommend it, espcially if you use unencrypted WiFi networks or do email off the Comcast netwrok, such as while travelling on vacation, etc.  SSL ensures your email messages can't be sniffed in transit between you and the mail server.

For incoming, use port 995 with SSL, for outgoing, use port 587 with SSL (in Mac Mail) and make sure you do have outgoing password authentication active (it's required on port 587).  Just follow the EXACT instructions in the link you posted.

New Visitor
tggodchaux

Not true. Regardless of what they say, I have it working for me.

Incoming Server: imap.googlemail.com

Port: 995

Connection Security: SSL/TLS

Authentication: Password

And the rest is based on your information. Have fun!

Email Expert

tggodchaux wrote:

Incoming Server: imap.googlemail.com

That's Gmail, not Comcast email.

Visitor

I really hope they make that change soon. WOW! Cable and Internet have IMAP available to users now.