New Visitor

Can receive but not send email Outlook 2003

Message: could not connect to outgoing mail server. My settings were pop 110; outgoing 7362. I tried using 995 for pop and 465 for outgoing..same problem. On my server information menu, the outgoing mail server (smtp:smileyhappy: is localhost and incoming mail server (pop3) is mail.comcast.net
Recognized Contributor

Re: Can receive but not send email Outlook 2003

Outgoing should be smtp.comcast.net. Incoming mail.comcast.net. Outgoing port 465. Incoming 995. Both with SSL selected. You also need to turn user authentication on.
New Visitor

Followed suggested solution and still receive the following error: outlook could not connect to outgoing mail server. The problem could be the server name or port or your server may not support ssl.
Security Expert
CajunTek

What antispam software do you use.. It sounds suspiciously like it's setting the server names incorrectly...
TANSTAAFL!!

Most Valued Poster
Naddie1

> Followed suggested solution and still receive the
> following error: outlook could not connect to
> outgoing mail server. The problem could be the
> server name or port or your server may not support
> ssl.

Look here.

Naddie D
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Recognized Contributor

Exit from Outlook, make sure it's not still running in the background (CTRL-ALT-DEL, check Processes), launch it again, and see what happens.

If it's still failing, please tell us exactly what your current settings are for incoming server, outgoing server, port numbers, SSL on or off, user authentication on or off.
Networking Expert
Baric

Please, always post EXACT and COMPLETE errors, copy/paste is your friend (and ours) in these situations. And since this seems to be a connection issue, please tell us EXACTLY what you have set as your outgoing SMTP server name (again, copy/paste it only).

Are you having any other problems, web sites not loading perhaps?
Recognized Contributor

There's that pesky echo again.
Networking Expert
Baric

Where's my fly swatter?
Contributor
ramjet99

I too am having problems with outgoing email. I can receive just fine. I also believe it is a Comcast problem. The problem even exists when using the Comcast webmail service. I tried sending a message to myself at the same account (as suggested by the Comcast 'Live Help" person, but the message "The following addresses had fatal errors:
(my username)@comcact.net: 550 destination not valid within DNS.

The Comcast "live Help" person gave up and suggested calling tech support as they have more access to troubleshooting tools. I gave up after waiting on hold for a half hour to some extremely annoying music.

I too have not changed anything. I first noticed the problem when using my regular email client, Thunderbird (and no multiple copies are running in the background), but shut it down and tried directly from the Comcast webmail site. It was working just fine on 5/20, but not since. I live in southern New Mexico.
Most Valued Poster
Most Valued Poster
Me

You said....
"The following addresses had fatal errors:
(my username)@comcact.net: 550 destination not valid within DNS."

Comcast... *not*...Comcact...!!!!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Heroes aren't born...they volunteer...
Contributor
ramjet99

Thank you, Me. I guess I'd better learn to proofread more closely, huh? It doesn't explain my original problems, however, just my testing. I was getting a different error message then, but now things seem to work OK.