Contributor

Can receive but not send email via OE 6

Sending email fails starting 3/30. Error message is:

"The message could not be sent because the server rejected the sender's e-mail address. The sender's e-mail address was '[my user name]@comcast.net'. Subject 'Emailing: chartbundle2.pdf', Account: 'mail.comcast.net', Server: 'smtp.comcast.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 5.1.0 Authentication required', Port: 587, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC78"

Comcast online support (the utility that checks all connections) found no problem. No, there is a problem.

Email Expert
JR071702

Re: Can receive but not send email via OE 6

OldCranky wrote:

"The message could not be sent because the server rejected the sender's e-mail address. The sender's e-mail address was '[my user name]@comcast.net'. Subject 'Emailing: chartbundle2.pdf', Account: 'mail.comcast.net', Server: 'smtp.comcast.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 5.1.0 Authentication required', Port: 587, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC78"

Comcast online support (the utility that checks all connections) found no problem. No, there is a problem.

Q1: How do I setup Outlook, Outlook Express and Windows Mail?

JR

Email Expert
CCCarole

OldCranky wrote:

I would check your settings againest those in this clickable link.  I use OE, but I use port 465 with SSL on.

you would find the port settings here: Tools>Accounts>Mail tab> Properties> and then tick on the Advanced tab.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Bronze Problem Solver

OldCranky wrote:

You need to enable authentication on port 587. Check the box that says something like "My server requires authentication" in the SMTP setup.

Contributor

thanks for the tip. I let the outgoing server roll back to the default 25 from 587 and it worked.

Contributor

And I checked that authentication thingy. Thanks also

Mac Expert
Joel

Port 25 may work now, but it may also stop working at any time without warning. Comcast's default (recommended) SMTP server settings are Port 587 with authentication. Encryption (SSL/TLS) is also highly recommended. Port 465 will also work. SSL is required on this port, as is SSL encryption.