New Visitor
lsassaman
Accepted Solution

Can receive email, but cannot send email

I tried sending an email (with two small attachments <1Mb) earlier this afternoon, and got the following error message.  I restarted my computer, but I cannot send ANY emails (even without attachments) now from ANY of the comcast accounts in our house (I have been able to send emails out through another email account).  Any suggestions?

An unknown error has occurred. Account: 'Lisa', Server: 'smtp.comcast.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '554 omta11.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net comcast Message sending error.  Please go to http://help.comcast.net/content/faq/VBOB', Port: 587, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 554, Error Number: 0x800CCC6F

Email Expert
CCCarole

Re: Can receive email, but cannot send email

[ Edited ]

lsassaman wrote:

I tried sending an email (with two small attachments <1Mb) earlier this afternoon, and got the following error message.  I restarted my computer, but I cannot send ANY emails (even without attachments) now from ANY of the comcast accounts in our house (I have been able to send emails out through another email account).  Any suggestions?

An unknown error has occurred. Account: 'Lisa', Server: 'smtp.comcast.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '554 omta11.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net comcast Message sending error.  Please go to http://help.comcast.net/content/faq/VBOB', Port: 587, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 554, Error Number: 0x800CCC6F

Did you copy/paste the error because the link in the error message does not work for me?

What are you using for email please?

Have you verified the settings are all correct?Please post them.

I use both OE and Outlook and use these:

SMTP- 465 with SSL ON

POP3- 995 with SSL ON

Under the Server tab:  "My server requires authentication" is checked.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Email Expert
CCCarole

[ Edited ]

Edited to remove post since what I had referenced was not applicable to this OP's issue.

CC.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Bronze Problem Solver

CCCarole wrote:
Drop the apostrophe from the end of the URL that was posted. It looks like Comcast has suspended their ablity to send email for 24 hours due to an excess of email being sent from their computer.

I did find this below which references the 554 error:  Over my knowledge base tho, so I will report your isssue to the Administrator to have someone review your post.

When I try to email a Comcast.net address, I get a bounce back message containing a 554 error message, which links to this page.

You have been blocked from emailing the Comcast network because we have determined that your mail server does not properly identify itself when attempting to connect to the Comcast mail servers.  This process is known as Reverse DNS and associates your mail server's IP address into a domain name for Comcast to know who is attempting to send email into our network.

That's about other outfits sending email to Comcast, it has nothing to do with the OP's problem.

New Visitor
lsassaman

I did copy and past the error message.  It didn't work for me either.

I am using Outlook Express.  As far as I can tell, the settings are correct.  I didn't do anything to reset them.  My SMTP is set at 587 the POP3 is 995.  SSL is on for both.....

New Visitor
lsassaman

Thank-you....interesting.....

New Visitor
lsassaman

Email was back up and running around 10:00 last night.  Thanks!

Contributor

[ Edited ]

VBOB refers to the Volume Based Outbound Block.

This happens when your IP and/or email account sends over 999 emails in a 24hour period. 

There is no unblock for this, you cannot send any email for 24hours after receiving this message, using Comcast outgoing servers. 

There are 3 main limits to Comcast email, Volume (999 emails in 24 hours), Number of addresses in 1 message (99 recipients or less per message) and total email size (usually keep attachments under 10Mb size)

Also original poster, Settings are wrong.  Incoming 995 with SSL=good, but 587 no SSL, just authentication.  If you want/need SSL use 465.

New Visitor
puchella

Called Comcast today.  It seems they are having email problems.  Hope it's the one we're experiencing !