Contributor
Accepted Solution

Can't Send Email with Windows Live 2012

I have been researching this issue for a few days and am ready to start using Comcast email online. But thought I would try one more time. To start this issue began right after Comcast informed me that I had higher speed internet and should 'reboot' my wireless modem (unplug and plug in again...I assume to get new settings) and I did that.

Since then I have not been able to send email. Here are the particulars: I am using Windows Live Mail 2012 on Windows 7. Prior to this I was using port 25 and port 110 not secure. I know Comcast had suggested they changed but I was not able to get the new ports to work a few months ago and since these ports worked I stayed with them. 

I have all the correct boxes checked and have tried a variety of settings for outgoing and also incoming. When I try to change incoming to 995 secure i get an error message and can't connect. But leaving it at 110 not secure works fine. Here are samples of error messages I have gotten when setting various ports:

The connection to the server has failed.
Subject 'test'
Server: 'smtp.comcast.net'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0E
Protocol: SMTP
Port: 465
Secure(SSL): Yes
Socket Error: 10060

Unable to send or receive messages for the Comcast (jsmews) account. The connection to the server has failed.
Server: 'mail.comcast.net'

Protocol: POP3
Port: 995

Subject 'test'
Port: 587

Subject 'test'
Port: 587
Secure(SSL): No

I've tried a couple other sources including Comcast analyst and nobody can suggest a solution. I turn the firewall off and still have a problem. Basically I can't connect to the outgoing mail server..evidently. I've looked at my wireless router settings and what Comcast says and they seem ok. I'm not sure what else to do. I've deleted the account and started over in LIve Mail. The only thing I haven't done is delete Live Mail and reinstall.

Thanks.

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Can't Send Email with Windows Live 2012

Elle1313 wrote:

I've tried a couple other sources including Comcast analyst and nobody can suggest a solution.

I'm gonna guess that an AV program is mucking things up. I don't really know anything about AV programs, but I've read that disabling them can be tricky. Like, even if you think you've turned it off, it might still be mucking things up. If you post what AV program you're using (including the version), someone might know some specifics that could relate to your situation.

Official Employee

[ Edited ]

Can you try the following:

In the Account Name type in your Comcast Email ID. This should be your user name before the @ in your e-mail address.

If the above info does not help, can you try the settings available on this page - http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/configure-windows-live-mail-2011-for-xfinity-e...

If you have an antivirus program that is monitoring emails, please add mail.comcast.net to the whitelist in the antivirus program.

Thank you,
Sharath
Comcast Silicon Valley
Contributor

Hi

Thanks for your suggestions.  I have all my settings as mentioned in the Comcast link done correctly.  As a matter of fact I have tried every combination possible. 

I know now this is a router problem and must have to do with the settings now in my router after Comcast required 'reboot' (unplug and replug) after upgrading the internet speed.  Or I suppose because of this and the new settings my router Motorola SurfBoard SBG900 has a problem. 

The reason I know this is I took my laptop to another environment where we have a wireless router and I could both receive AND send e-mails from Windows Live 2012.  Nothing else changed other than using this router versus the one I have at home.

I will have to investigate the settings and perhaps someone from Comcast can help.  I don't know what the prior settings were so I can't compare.  But hopefully it can be fixed.

Any suggestions around this would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks again.

Bronze Problem Solver

Elle1313 wrote:

Hi

Thanks for your suggestions.  I have all my settings as mentioned in the Comcast link done correctly.  As a matter of fact I have tried every combination possible. 

Yes, your settings are OK, as far as it goes. You're unable to connect to the servers at all, so it can't be about your password or your authentication settings.

I know now this is a router problem and must have to do with the settings now in my router after Comcast required 'reboot' (unplug and replug) after upgrading the internet speed.  Or I suppose because of this and the new settings my router Motorola SurfBoard SBG900 has a problem. 

The reason I know this is I took my laptop to another environment where we have a wireless router and I could both receive AND send e-mails from Windows Live 2012.  Nothing else changed other than using this router versus the one I have at home.

It sounds like you're getting close to sorting things out. Routers in general are known to have quirky problems like this, and those modem+router gateway devices are reputed to be even quirkier than standalone routers.

I will have to investigate the settings and perhaps someone from Comcast can help.  I don't know what the prior settings were so I can't compare.  But hopefully it can be fixed.

I can't think of any settings that would cause the problem you're having, and the default settings definitely should not cause a problem like this.

One thing I'd try would be telnetting to the server, although I'm not sure what that would really show no matter how it goes. But, the more data the better, I'd think. Open a command window and enter:

telnet smtp.comcast.net 587

The server will respond with something like

220 omta22.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net comcast ESMTP server ready

if you're able to connect. If you don't see that, it pretty much confirms that there's a problem with your modem+router device... I think.

Any suggestions around this would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks again.

Contributor

Thanks for your information and suggestions.  When I try to use the telnet command I get a message:

'telnet' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

I actually had found a suggestion earlier for researching using this command and got this message too.

Hmmm.  Not sure why.  I'm on Windows 7 if that means anything.  Thanks.

Contributor

Hi Again

I was able to set the telnet feature on Windows 7.  However, I was not able to connect to comcast server so there is something wrong.

I will research more and if I can figure it out I will post back here in case anyone else encounters a similar issue.

Thanks again.

Contributor

HI

Just thought I would get back on this.  After more research it became evident to me that it was a problem with my gateway Motorola Surfboard SBG 900.  I had to go to the firewall settings and use custom setting to set the ports in a range that would work.  The preset port was only 25.  After setting it to 400 - 600, I was able to use the 465 secure port option and my email sent perfectly from Windows Live Mail 2012.

Hope this might be helpful to anyone else with problems that could be gateway settings.  The answer turned out to be so simple but you have to understand the equipment and software first and narrow down the problem. 

I hope Comcast will suggest this to folks who continue to have issues even after making all the proper setting changes in their e-mail client. 

Thanks again.

Regular Contributor

I had the same problem last week on my Laptop with Thunderbird and Live Mail and after trying comcast on 2 occasions I gave up and finally solved the problem on my own by going thru each setting and making sure all of my settings were the same as those suggested.   I finally got T'Bird working after I changed the setting to "TTL/SSL"  for both servers,  I then changed the Password setting to "Encrypted Password" for Incoming and outgoing servers and emails started flowing in & out again.

All was well until yesterday when things stopped at 204PM yesterday when mail stopped coming in and going out.   So here I am - the same as you - but my Xfinity email works but not Thunderbird  or Win Live.   I used Win live for a long time until it seemed to become unstable and stopped showing mail  so I changed to Thunderbird.   T'Bird is not really better but so far it has been stable.

BTW, I made no changes in the time before T'Bird stopped working - didn't use my laptop at all actually during that time period.

I didn't really find anything wrong - I changed the settings to those suggested on the Comcast website which BTW, were NOT the settings suggested by the Comcast technicians during my numerous phone calls and emails seeking help.  

Sending & receiving email should be childs play but for some reason it is proving difficult to set up.   I'll look forward to seeing what you find out....

LarryT

Contributor

Larry

I haven't had any real instability with my WLM itself.  After I finally figured out I needed to change ports in my gateway modem settings to match the ones Comcast is using.  Even though my WLM settings matched Comcast (on their website) suggestions I couldn't send because my gateway was set to let those be accessed.  I know everyone does not have the same modem setups so this was my problem and I was able to fix it as I mentioned in an earlier message.

There are a lot of things that can impact the ability to make things work properly.  Hope you have some luck.

BTW, I think different regions of the country may have things rolled out at different times and that can be confusing for some folks posting for help too.

Comcast was not helpful to me as they could not suggest anything beyond the canned responses they are equipped with to answer questions.  If those happen to be your issue then you are set.  If not you have to keep researching on your own.  Hope things improve.

New Visitor
gjmmail

Can't believe they wanted to charge me to reset two fields.  With help from here and some internet searching I figured it out myself.  Change the default "advance" settings for outgoing email on each comcast account you have setup in your Windows Live Email software.  You do not have to change the firewall to make it work.

click the box for secure connection (SSL)

change outgoing port from 25 (default) to 465 or 587

This is for comcast email addresses only other emails being pulled into Windows Live do not need to be changed.  See link below for more details.

http://www.vtdesignworks.com/blog/comcast-xfinity-port-25-blocked-change-to-465-or-587-for-outgoing-...

Email Expert
CCCarole

Comcast customers should all have received in email in their Primary email address, telling them that Port 25 could not be used any longer for SMTP Port. Port 25 was blocked a long time ago now.

There is also details in this clickable link.

CC

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/E-Mail-and-Xfinity-Connect-Help/Port-Change-Notification/m-p/1470331#U1...

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

New Visitor
grotejm15

Sure would have been nice if the CS reps that had me on the phone for 40 minutes would have known about that email.  I finally told them the call was going nowhere and if I couldn't find a fix myself I might MIGHT call back.  FYI.. I had just taken account out of an extended seasonal mode and specifically asked the reps (both of them) multiple times if any of the base settings (server name, ports, etc) could have changed while I was away.  Everything else was working so it had to be a setting.  Oh well. My account is now working and that's all I was after.

To your comments about the email. Sure wish it had been sent when my account wasn't on hold.  It might have been useful then (either before I left or after it was reactivated). Only problem there is that 99% of the xfinity emails I receive have nothing to do with how I use the service so it probably wouldn't have matter as there's a good chance it would have been deleted before it was even open.

Sorry, just had to vent a little.  Took four days, a trip to the Comcast store front (one hour wait + face time) and multiple extended phone calls to get the phone, internet and TV turned on and working properly. This was just the icing on the top of the cake.

Just ran your spell check... Funny but it doesn't even know how to spell "xfinity" or "Comcast". Guess I shouldn't be surprised that the CS reps didn't know about some email either.

New Visitor
Elwaysgrammie

Same problem - all of a sudden couldn't send email from my PC.  Brought  home my Mac to work from home for a few days - couldn't send emails from it. Followed your instructions - took a few tries, but got it working. As you said - Comcast is no help.  Thank  you for posting info. Regards, Grammie

New Visitor
ep673

I deleted the smtp address, changed the mail account properties to defults in the advanced tab, and closed windows live mail 2012. Then opened windows live mail 2012 and re-typed the smtp.comcast.net and my password, changed my outgoing port to 465 under the outgoing mail account properties in the advanced tab and my outgoing mail is now working. I don't think re-typing the password had anything to do with it but I did it anyhow since I have changed my password multiple times and didn't remember if I changed it on my laptop.