New Visitor
arcgc

Can't attach documents to email

I have been using xfinity for email for over a year.

since last week I have been unable to open the "Attachment" window and so can't attach anything to my messages. Does anyone have an answer?

Comcast had me delete my cookies and it has made no difference.

It only happens on this computer, I can attach documents on other computers with this email account. 

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

Re: Can't attach documents to email

Hold down the ctrl key while clicking Add Attachment. If it opens your BROWSER is seeing it as a popup.

If it is treating it as a popup:

If you are using the Internet Explorer pop up blocker included with Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3
these instructions work with IE6, IE7 and IE8.

Go to Tools at the top of this page OR Control Panel.

Internet Options/Privacy tab.

Click on Settings in Pop-up Blocker.

Add the following to the Allow line:

*.mail.comcast.net

Close out Internet Options, see if Add Attachments will open.

If you use a different blocker, just look on the bottom of the page to see if you get a notification that one has been blocked when you click on the message. If you do, you can usually click the notification icon and will be able to allow pop ups from *.mail.comcast.net

Post back with the name of the one you use if you can't figure it out, and someone will help you.

If you use a different browser and need help post which browser.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

bdonald, I have moved your post here to the other thread you also posted in about this issue. Please keep everything related to it in one place. This makes it easier for us to help you. And it makes it easier for you when things are in one place.

New Visitor

I'm having what appears to be the same issue as arcgc - clicking on the "add attachment" button does not bring up the window to add attachments, in fact nothing appears to happen. Though when I first open a new message, I also get the error message saying "an error occurred while initializing the zimlet "comcast_search". Please notify administrator."

The attachment button has worked correctly for many years of use until the past week. I have tried clicking on the button while holding the Control key as suggested, but it didn't open the attachment window in a separate window - but I also then added the "*.mail.comcast.net" string to the list of allowable popups as was suggested, also with no apparent effect.

What else might I try? I am using Internet Explorer 9 (which I see you don’t have on your list of versions for which your instructions should work), on an HP Windows Vista laptop.

Official Employee
cc_xc

Have you tried the lite version (you can set that in the preferences tab)?

New Visitor

I have just tried switching in Preferences to the "Lite" version of Comcast email as you suggest, and it does appear to enable an attachment window to open.  But if that is the answer could you perhaps try to explain why the "Lite" version now has capability that no longer works in the "Full" version?   Why would I want to use the Lite version (or why would I want to switch any time I want to attach something)?  Is there a bug that's being worked on?

Official Employee
cc_xc

Lite is an HTML version of webmail (more details here).  This sounds like an issue between something on your computer and the Xfinity Connect (regular version) code.  

Can you try clearing cache, cookies and removing temporary internet files? (steps are here).  Also try resetting the browser settings.  Sometimes that fixes this issue until we can get to the bottom of what is causing this.

New Visitor

Thanks - I will try these things when I get home this evening (or as soon as possible, anyway - may or may not get a chance this evening), and report on results.

New Visitor
woodspinner

I experienced the same problem after trying to download somethingI went to "Control Panel" and selected Programs/ uninstallThere were 5 new programs that were downloaded with the current dateI uninstalled all of them and I can now add attachments to my email.

Contributor

This exact same thing has just happened to me, with the same error message. Did you ever got it resolved?

Email Expert
CCCarole

bvongray wrote:

This exact same thing has just happened to me, with the same error message. Did you ever got it resolved?

Which version of XfinityConnect are you using, Full or Lite?

Open XfinityConnect, click on Preferences, and then click on General.  A window will open showing you which version is checked. 

Which browser/version?

Cannot add attachments Fix

This is caused by IE add-ons.  For example the Add-on publisher "Amazing Apps / 215 Apps" Add-on Name "I Want This" will cause the error if the add-on is enabled.

I would recommend that you disable all add-ons in IE (Tools -> Manage Ad-ons, select each add-on and click disable), then RESTART IE to see if the error goes away.  If the error does go away then you can then do the following to determine which add-on is causing the problem.

1) enable one of the previously disabled add-ons (Tools -> Manage Ad-ons, select an add-on and click enable)

2) restart the browser

3) re-open the browser and goto comcast.net email to see if you get the error again

repeat steps 1-3 until you get the error again

once you get the error you will know that the last add-on enable was the one that caused the problem.

If an add-on is greyed out and unable to be disabled from the menu, then you'll need to go to control panel and uninstall the program that installed the rogue add-on.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Contributor

Using "Full Version"

Email Expert
CCCarole

Ok- did you follow the suggestions made in my previous post to check for Add Ons?

CC

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)

Contributor

Just getting back to you now-disabled all add-ons except one that I'm not able to disable. Still getting error message when logging in to email -"comcast_search." Still cannot add an attachment to emails. And now my "back" arrow isn't working. Help!

Email Expert
CCCarole

bvongray wrote:

Just getting back to you now-disabled all add-ons except one that I'm not able to disable. Still getting error message when logging in to email -"comcast_search." Still cannot add an attachment to emails. And now my "back" arrow isn't working. Help!

Which Add On couldn't you disable?

Post again, the complete error message you are getting.

Which version of Internet Explorer are you using?  Did you turn on Compatibility View?

Did you reset your browser to the default settings? (save Favs first)

Have you tried switching to the Lite version to see if you can send attachments using it?

To do:  Open XfinityConnect, click on Preferences in the Preview window.  Click on General icon, switch to Lite version.  Close and re-open XfinityConnect.  Now try sending attachments.

You said your back arrow isn't working?  Is that only happening in XfinityConnect, or also happening elsewhere?

Post back please.

CC

Contributor

Name                Supreme Savings Publisher           Innovative Apps Status              Enabled Architecture        32-bit Load time           0.04 s Navigation time     0.25 s

This is the add-on I can't disable.

Switched to Lite Version and "attachment" is now working!

Using Internet Explorer 10.

Don't know how to turn on Compatibility View, and didn't reset browser to default - don't know how.

Back Arrow seems to be working now, even in Xfinity Connect, but "forward arrow" isn't working.

Contributor

looks like back arrow doesn't work within Xfinity Connect at all.

Thanks for all this help.

Email Expert
CCCarole

[ Edited ]

bvongray wrote:

Name                Supreme Savings Publisher           Innovative Apps Status              Enabled Architecture        32-bit Load time           0.04 s Navigation time     0.25 s

This is the add-on I can't disable.

Switched to Lite Version and "attachment" is now working!

Using Internet Explorer 10.

Don't know how to turn on Compatibility View, and didn't reset browser to default - don't know how.

Back Arrow seems to be working now, even in Xfinity Connect, but "forward arrow" isn't working.

Did you look for a program called this in your Programs in Control panel?  If you find it, uninstall it.

If using Internet Explorer, you can turn on Compatibility View by clicking on Tools, then on Compatibility View.  It is on the very top of your page... You can find it in two places there.  Either to the left of Help, or on the far right side of the page to the left of the ? mark. <<< With that one, look for an icon that looks like a torn piece of paper and the words Compatibility View.

Do turn it on!

For future rteference: To reset your browser to default settings:

Click on Tools

Click on Internet Options

Click on the Advanced tab

Scroll down to Reset Internet Explorer Settings

Click on the Reset button

Where isn't the Forward/Back arrow working?  If only in XfinityConnect, see if that issue goes away once you turn on Compatibility View.

CC

Contributor

The Forward arrow isn't working at all.

As far as Compatibility, it isn't under Tools, but I do see the torn paper icon in the address bar.

Email Expert
CCCarole

bvongray wrote:

The Forward arrow isn't working at all.

As far as Compatibility, it isn't under Tools, but I do see the torn paper icon in the address bar.

Click on the torm icon to turn it on.

Contributor

Done.

I don't really love my email in the Lite version, but the Attachment is working, so I guess I'll just have to get used to it.

Thanks CCCarole for all your help and patience with me!

Email Expert
CCCarole

Now that you know how to change from Full ot Lite know that you can change from Lite to Full anytime you want to try it again.Just go to Preferences>General to make the switch.

Glad to help, it's why I lurk here. :smileygrin:

Carole