New Visitor

Can't connect to mail.comcast.net

Everytime I try to get my email it says it can't connect to the server and gives me this message:

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail.comcast.net', Server: 'smtp.comcast.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

I also get the same message but referring to port 110.

My mom was emailing me a receipe step by step and if I can't get the rest of it, dinner will be ruined.

Networking Expert
Baric

Re: Can't connect to mail.comcast.net

This sounds like the firewall problem. Your settings appear to be correct, but Outlook can't make the connection. This is usually because your firewall is blocking you or the smtp server is down in your area (happens sometimes). Did this ever work and for how long have you been getting this message? Do you use a firewall? Can you "ping smtp.comcast.net"?
New Visitor

This just started. It's been working for months.
I do get a reply when pinging. I also did a tracert command and there were a couple of hops that timed out.
Networking Expert
Baric

So, are you running a firewall? Try to do a "telnet smtp.comcast.net 25" then type "quit" when it connects. What does it say?
New Visitor

it said connection failed.
Could not open a connection to smtp.comcast.net
Networking Expert
Baric

hehe...are you avoiding the firewall question? That's the most likely culprit.
New Visitor

Firewall Shmirewall

I spent 30 minutes with Comcast while they had control of my computer trying to tell me it was my firewall. I got disconnected and then there was no record of it at all! My solution.....restart it! I get the message every so often and unfortunately you have to restart, but fortunately it should go away.
I've never had this happen before, only since Comcast. I hope they correct the error instead of blaming it on a firewall.
New Visitor
they also told me I had to contract Microsoft because my file was corrupted and it was basically their problem to fix....not true, just restart
Networking Expert
Baric

Re: and...

I have no idea what youa re trying to say here. What file is corrupt?
Networking Expert
Baric

Re: Firewall Shmirewall

No record of what? I have no clue what you are trying to say here. Perhaps I need a beer to loosen my brain cells up...
New Visitor

Hello. We too are having the same problems with no luck to any solution. We're considering in switching to another ISP very soon if Comcast cannot fix it asap.

Comcast has been coming up with all kinds of stupid excuses or looking for way to blame on others like Firewall and Microsoft. I have investigated and researched the matters, it appears to be Comcast's own false. Why??? The customer service at Comcast have been very uncooperative and ignoring the problem.

Another thing, if this situation continue on in widespread without resolving the major problems, there will be a class-action lawsuit against Comcast and many employees that work there will be out of job.
Networking Expert
Baric

While it's true the Comcast mail servers go down from time to do, they are not continuously down. Anything more than a day of straight error messages is 90% of the time the user's problem. Unless you have a total connection problem, then the problem isn't email, but rather the connection itself. the other 10% are problems like corrupted mailbox or email and issues like that.

You have to divorce the Comcast HSI service from Comcast Support. Comcast Support is abysmal, I will be the first to agree with you here. They are awful and show no signs of getting any better. Same was true of ATTBI (at least from my experience). The HSI service itself can be spotty at times as well, but on the whole it works and works well, as long as you have decent local lines.

My advice is bring your problem here, don't waste hours of your time with Comcast phone Support becasue it will likely get you nowhere unless you get lucky and get one of the decent techs. But when you do post, post a complete and exact description of your problem, including error messages, OS, config, how you are setup and connected to Comcast, what program(s) you are using, etc. Far to many people come to these forums and say "Help, it doesn't work, what do I do?" This is a completely useless post. How do you expect anyone to help you when you provide precisely zero useful information on what is wroing, what you are trying to do, what you are using to do it with, etc.

So read the forum, if your problem sounds like someone elses, try the things other members have suggested to fix the problem. If you are still having a problem, then post and be very thorough, including what things you have tried to resolve the issue so folks here don't have to rehash the same stuff over and over.
New Visitor

I am having a related problem and it too just started:

Task 'mail.attbi.com - Sending and Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC0F) : 'The connection to the server was interrupted. If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'
When I do an email test from Outlook, it fails and indicates a potential port problem.

I do receive email from Comcast, I just can't connect to pick it up. I know that Comcast has closed some ports for security reasons...is it possible that they have closed/effected 110 as well?
Networking Expert
Baric

Goodness, no, port 110 is alive and working. That would kill all POP3 email, what a disaster that would be.

What potential port problem? Have you made any updates to your firewall or does it automatically update from the vendor?

I notive you account name is "mail.attbi.com", I assume you did go in and make the nessary server name changes. Did you make any other changes recently? Change your password? Virus scan changes, etc?
New Visitor

this is the message I get:
Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'Comcast Mail', Server: 'mail.comcast.net', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '+OK', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F
so plz exsplanin in english
New Visitor

I have been having an intermittent problem connecting to e-mail. Often (the frequency is increasing) when I try to click on the "mail" bar from the ComCast web site, I get a "double ding" and can't even get into e-mail far enough to log on. I am using a Tangerine, 400Mhz Apple iMac, running Mac Classic OS 9.2.2 with NetScape 7.0 as my browser and e-mail program. I have NO firewall. Inasmuch as this seems to be a ComCast issue (I can browse anywhere: I just can't get into e-mail) and that the frequency of the problem seems to have increased radically since the recent onslaught of Windows viruses, et al., one can't help but wonder if perhaps ComCast, whom, one assumes, is running IBM PC based servers, may have a virus problem.

I had planned to clean out a lot of old messages from my e-mail account today, since the holiday gives me the time to do so, but being unable to even get into the e-mail sort of kills that idea.

BTW, sometime in the next month or so, I am planning to do a system upgrade to Jaguar (Mac OS X.2) and will be using the Mail program which is native to the operating system, though I will still probably be using NetScape as browser: my Mac is a "Microsoft Free Zone" and I intend to keep it that way because I really do not need the hassle of MicroShaft <;-D> virus infections. Perhaps this may serve as a "hint" on how ComCast can alleviate its own problems in these areas...

May God bless,
New Visitor

You are correct...my mail is still mail.attbi.com but it has been working....however...i did make one change two days ago...was using Norton Anti Virus, but installed MCAffe. I did not notice a problem with Comcast until the next day, but could the install have changed something in my settings that would affect Comcast?
New Visitor

Log in to web mail and read all your messages....then delete everything. Evidently there is some corrupted spam mail that is causing problems. When I deleted all messages in my webmail inbox, Outlook Express began to work again.
Networking Expert
Baric

yes it could have. The latest version of McAfee VirusScan 8.0 seems to have some kind of problem with Outlook. Links to discussions and what do do are in other threads. Do a search to find them.
Networking Expert
Baric

Corrupt email on server, or virus scanner blocking you because it found a virus. these problems have been discussed many, many times. Read the other threads here.
New Visitor

I use Me, IE 6.0.2800.1106IC, OE 6.00.2800.1123

I get this message also when selecting "send and Recieve."

This is only on one identity. The other identities all work fine. However, in the past, it was another identity which did not work.

The screen pop up indicates incoming mail of a certain number of messages then the error appears:

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'mail.comcast.net', Server: 'mail.comcast.net', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '+OK', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

Any help would be appreciated
Message was edited by: Anonymous
New Visitor

I also started having problems over the last few weeks with Comcast when using Outlook Express. Here's my message:

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'mail.comcast.net', Server: 'mail.comcast.net', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '+OK', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

Love that Port 110. Never had a problem for the last 8 months then WHAM!

Wil
Networking Expert
Baric

This has nothing to do with it being on port 110. 110 is the standard POP3 port number that EVERYONE uses. The issue is eaither that you have a corrupted email on the server causing the connection to time out, or your virus scanner is interfering because it thinks an incoming email has a virus (both Norton and McAfee have had a problem int he last several weeks).
New Visitor

I posted the message about three above here a few minutes ago.

Having just found this Comcast page I solved my mail problem in just these few minutes by accessing my mail account from the Comcast page which will show all mail on server and deleted the "a corrupted email on the server causing the connection to time out."

Thanks for the tip.
Networking Expert
Baric

;-)
New Visitor

I can connect either, I have disconnected my firewall and turned off my anti virus software, still get the same error. I think comcast is covering up something. I will only take about another day or two of this before I contact the FCC, about poor service.
Most Valued Poster

First. WELCOME TO THE FORUM
Second. Have you at least called up support before calling up FCC ( dont know what they do or what they are for, or what they can do )

Third. Have you scrolled through all the forum postings looking for possible fixes??
If not, take a look at my thread here regarding email problems ( complete with screenshots )--> http://forums.comcast.net/thread.jspa?threadID=2869

GOOD LUCK
New Visitor

Well when it came to this problem:
Well looking at the forum and it talked about the anti virus well I have Norton anti-virus and well all I did was whent to the options page and then clicked email and unchecked incoming email and low and behold *POOF* I could get my email now :smileylaugh: hmmmmm...........so much for that firewall myth
Contributor

here the link to the MS article about that error

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813514