New Visitor
New Visitor
EWK
Accepted Solution

Can't get Windows Live Mail to connect to Comcast mail servers

I just bought an HP laptop running Windows 7 and am trying to set up Windows Live Mail.  I am using the prescribed Comcast server names 'mail.comcast.net' (port 995) and 'smtp.comcast.net' (port 465) but I am apparently not making the connection to the servers for some unknown reason.  I can access the Internet fine and can log on to webmail and see I am receiving test emails sent from my iPhone, but I get no mail at all through WLM.  The system keeps timing out and I get an 'Ox800CCC19' error message.  Anyone have any ideas?  I disabled the pop up blocker and the Norton software that comes with the system but neither had any impact.  Comcast tech support checked to see I was entering the right server names but otherwise had no suggestions.  Microsoft website worthless.  Getting ready to return this machine....

Thanks.

Silver Problem Solver
reasd

Re: Can't get Windows Live Mail to connect to Comcast mail servers

Hello,

1. First I would check if all your setting.

2. On the Server Tab, Log on Using Clear Text Authenication must be selected if you are using windows 7

Service Expert
Again

Try checking your settings against this.

"When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be."
--- Lao Tzu ---
"Life is not linear. It's all a circle. Our dust becomes the firmament on which the future walks."
--- © James Scott 2014 ---

Bronze Problem Solver

EWK wrote:

I just bought an HP laptop running Windows 7 and am trying to set up Windows Live Mail.  I am using the prescribed Comcast server names 'mail.comcast.net' (port 995) and 'smtp.comcast.net' (port 465) but I am apparently not making the connection to the servers for some unknown reason.  I can access the Internet fine and can log on to webmail and see I am receiving test emails sent from my iPhone, but I get no mail at all through WLM.  The system keeps timing out and I get an 'Ox800CCC19' error message.  Anyone have any ideas?  I disabled the pop up blocker and the Norton software that comes with the system but neither had any impact.  Comcast tech support checked to see I was entering the right server names but otherwise had no suggestions.  Microsoft website worthless.  Getting ready to return this machine....

Thanks.

A little Googling finds these suggestions as to what the problem might be.

Corrupt Registry

Corrupt OS files

Corrupt WLM files

Problem with AV software

Firewall problem

And more

There are various suggested fixes. I think I might be leaning toward returning the computer if I were in your shoes. I have an archive of the error codes for various email client configuration muffs, and your's isn't there; I don't think it's about a client configuration mistake(or a Comcast problem). There might be a simple fix, I dunno, but I didn't see suggested fixes that looked "simple" to me. Except for those who said to download a "quick fix" for that error code, but I wouldn't go there, myself. You could try just using a different email client, but I think I'd still be a little uneasy about a "factory" install that wasn't working right even if a different email client seemed to work just fine.

New Visitor
Rick27

I am having the same problem although I get a test error message saying Hotmail cannot connect to the Comcast servers.  This started about 3-4 weeks ago.  Prior to that I was having no problems for 3 months since I bought my Windows Phone 7.5.  Similarly, Microsoft has been useless in resolving the problem.  The even that triggered my failure to connect experience was a change to my account and primary email password.

I finally gave up and simply added my Comcast account to my Windows phone, and all works well.  I also added my Comcast mail to my Android OS Galaxy Tab.  No problems.  It is Hotmail that has the problems so I'm going to try one last thing before giving up.

I will create a brand new windows live account and start from scratch.  If any problems then I am (stick me with a fork) done with Hotmail. Only need for Windows Live Id is to support Windows Phone & App store access anyway.

New Visitor
bennyjet

I followed Comcast's instruction for Windows Live Mail set-up but all I get is this:

Unable to send or receive messages for the ****** account. Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity.

Server: 'mail.comcast.net' Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0F Protocol: POP3 Port: 995 Secure(SSL): Yes

Any suggestions?  The email worked perfectly with AT&T but since switching to Comcast, it's quit working.

Email Expert
CCCarole

Try using Pop 3- Port 995 with SSL on and SMTP 587 without SSL.  Post back the results.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

New Visitor

Having the same problem. CCCarole solution fixed mine. Not sure why it just all of a sudden quit working though without changing account parameters? Thanks.

Regular Contributor

If you have updated material like Win 7 + 8 and MSIE 9 + 10 you will find the directions for WLM 2011 is not applicable.

The directions need to be updated as the screens are not even similar.

It is not your machine. My WLM is currently working but will not when the rollover hits me too.

Please write to Comcast to make them aware.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

[ Edited ]

npd424 wrote:

If you have updated material like Win 7 + 8 and MSIE 9 + 10 you will find the directions for WLM 2011 is not applicable.

The directions need to be updated as the screens are not even similar.

It is not your machine. My WLM is currently working but will not when the rollover hits me too.

Please write to Comcast to make them aware.

That is not true, at least for Win7 and WLM 2011.

My computer is Win7 and until a few minutes ago I had WLM 2011 installed. I was able to change the port setting with no problems.

I uninstalled 2011, installed 2012 and the screen is exactly like it was in WLM 2011. I had no issues changing the settings in WLM 2012 either.

As for IE version, that has nothing to do with WLM. A lot of people use 2011 and probably 2012 with IE8. Those would be the ones using XP, which does not support IE9.  I tested this on an old computer with XP and IE8. WLM 2012 works just fine on it.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Visitor

Did you fix the problem  getting Windows Live Mail to Dispatch? I have WLM 2012. I can receive but not dispatch. I'm not very skilled at computers but it seems to me that this concerns first the WLM 12 versus 11 guidance and second, the comcast outgoing server. Has anyone on this string solved the problem?   I followed all the guidance from the comcast reps, who were not very helpful, frankly. The last person I talked to was a supervisor who was transfering me to their "signature" assistance....and then I was disconnected.

Email Expert
CCCarole

Click this link for the directions.

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/configure-windows-live-mail-2011-for-xfinity-e...

You need to change your SMTP port to 465 with SSL ON
THIS SERVER REQUIRES AUTHENTICATION must be checked
DO NOT check: SPA(SECURE PASSWORD AUTHENTICATION)

CC

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)

Regular Contributor

unsubscribe from thread

I do not want to remove my address from Comcast, just unsubsibe from the thread. How do I do it?

Thank you

Email Expert
CCCarole

Re: unsubscribe from thread

On the top of this page, on the left side, click TOPIC OPTIONS and then click on UNSUBSCRIBE.

Email Expert
CCCarole
New Visitor

Worked like a dream! Thank you!

Visitor
danalynn66

[ Edited ]

Disregard below message - got issue resolved.

=========================================

I am having this same issue. Have a brand new touch screen computer with the latest Windows version, Trying to connect to Windows Liv Mail using the instructions provided on comcast's help.

Getting a "we still can't find settings for myemailaddress@comcast.net" message.. Doesn't appear to be synching with my comcast account. Cleared my browser and changed my password.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.