Contributor
Accepted Solution

Can't get mail with Thunderbird

On June 8 2012, Thunderbird inbox lost ability to get new mail.  Problem continues then til now (June 11, as of 6:40 PM EST).  Worked to solve 4-5 hrs each day since June 8.

Running Thunderbird version 13.0  On Apple OS X 10.5 (Leopard).  No such problems with Tbird email during last yr or two, until now.

Checked the account settings multiple times, which seem correct according to the advice here and elsewhere.  Tried changing them temporarily per forum suggestions, but no help.  Mainly using port 995 with SSL/TLS, with occasional temporary change back to port 110 and STARTTLS, even tried NONE for authentication briefly.  No help.

I can open the Thunderbird program okay, just not get email to download from comcast server.  It says "connected to comcast...," or similar, for about 2 minutes, while the Tbird horizontal progress bar spins; then just stops trying without any alerts or error messages.  Cannot send email either.  Can read and send email if go onto Comcast website directly with browser, and not use Thunderbird.

I had moved most of my emails from inbox, to local folders, except for about 140, and most were small file size not exceeding 1 MB.  Also had deleted trash, and compacted.

Tried removing Tbird 13.0 and installing Tbird 12.0.1  That did not work either.

I had not changed my Tbird account settings or password prior to this problem.  Did not change my Tbird or Firefox add-ons or extensions.

I backed up my Tbird profile and tried to create another Tbird account.  No help, using same profile, or creating new one.

My antivirus program Sophos has not reportedy anything unusual lately.  I manually ran scans without note.

I looked at Apple Mail/Window/Connection Doctor.

It brought up two items.  The lower item smtp turned green and connected in a short while, with the message " Connection and loging to server succeeded"

The upper item said "Comcast" and "Connecting to server..." for about 2 minutes, then quit.  Moving the cursor around and clicking in the area for that item eventually displayed the message "Could not connect to this Comcast POP server.  Check your network connection and that you entered the correct information in the Account preferences.  Also verify that the server supports SSL.  If it does not, uncheck the "Use SSL" checkbox in the Advanced tab of Account preferences"

I probably included some things that advisers didn't need, and failed to include something you did need.

Hope someone can help me solve this.

Bronze Star Contributor
LowRanger

Re: Can't get mail with Thunderbird

Support is surely going to suggest a DNS issue.  Do you subscribe to any manner of child-safe filtering service or otherwise use an unconventional DNS server?

Have you tried adding a new account to Thunderbird with the same credentials (as opposed to importing)?

Are you using pop.comcast.net or mail.comcast.net to fetch from?

Thunderbird's latest incarnations seem to be fascinated with the IMAP e-mail protocol that isn't going to work with Comcast so you need to verify that you've selected POP3 instead of IMAP.

BTW, I really like the mozbackup utility for working with updates and backing up stuff in Thunderbird.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the reply LowRanger.

No I don't subscribe to any child-safe filtering services.  I do have some message filters to thin all the non-phone solicitors, and also two blocked senders.  But they've not caused problems while in use for over a year.

Not sure what an "unconventional DNS server is.  I'm not real handy with DNS issues.  I only play around with DNS when I have a problem to resolve, and that's so infrequent, I don't stay in practice.  I've seen so many options for them in so many different operating systems on my 4 or 5 different personal computers since I started in the mid 1980's, that it's hard to keep track.

I think I did use same credentials while trying to add a new Tbird account, but I can retry that to be sure.

Yes, I am using a pop mail server account, not IMAP.
I have Server Name set to "mail.comcast.net

I've seen something about repairing a corrupted permissions file in past, maybe when my Tbird crashed last time, in Oct 2010.  I think I worked thru that, but it was not the problem then.  Not sure if my backed up preferences plist on external hard drive would be useful.

My comcast email storage footprint for inbox, sent and drafts, is rather small, compared to times past.  But my Local Folders on my hard drive have continued to grow in size and number of messages over the years.  But it does not exceed half of the 2 GB limit that Tbird had in past.  I think Tbird increased that limit in recent times.  I have a lot of meticulously organized subfolders for messages.  But the path to the deepest subfolder seems nowhere near the reported limit.

Contributor

Thunderbird email client started working just now.  It downloaded messages from comcast.

I tried a LOT of different things in last 4-5 days.  Kept records of most of them - a very time consuming process.

Organized another list of steps to try, based on far reaching searches in related posts in various website forums, and knowledge bases.

When I changed outgoing smtp server from STARTTLS to SSL/TLS, the default port auto changed from 586 to 465.

Then clicked on inbox/get mail.  22 email messages accumulated on comcast, downloaded fairly quickly.

I am not concluding this as "accepted solution" yet.  Not until I see that Tbird continues to operate correctly for at least another day or two.

I did have a short period, about 2 days into this 5 day loss of use of Tbird, when incoming email inexplicably downloaded, during a time when I had made no recent changes to any of my account settings.  But when I tried to send, or maybe reply to one of those messages, it didn't work.  And I could no longer receive msgs either.

Still have a lot of things to check out and try.

But thank you to Low Ranger for the obsevations and questions.  One or more of those, led me to consider options I would otherwise have overlooked, or not gotten to for a longer period of time.

Meanwhile, I've learned a lot, refreshed some cobweb memories from the last crash 2 yrs ago, and have more tools in my repair arsenal.

I will come back and update this, hopefully in another day or two.

:smileyhappy:

Bob

Bronze Star Contributor
LowRanger

Changing the SMTP (Sendmail Transport Protocol) parameters shouldn't impact your ability to receive e-mails.  If you can't receive e-mails, you need to be looking at the Account Settings/Server Settings and NOT the Outgoing server settings.

The POP port number MUST be 995 (the Thunderbird default for SSL/TLS)

"SSL/TLS" should be selected as the connection security

"Normal password" should be selected as the Authentication method

These settings should give you reliable reception whether at home or away (assuming that your antivirus/antimalware/antispam solution isn't interfering).  I've been using Thunderbird for a long time with these settings and never had a problem.  Oddly enough, these are precisely the settings that Comcast recommends in their Thunderbird setup help page.

Come to think of it, you might try disabling your anti-software and see if that doesn't clear up the issue next time it strikes.  Some of the programs can create some interesting issues (especially if you're using an outdated version of the tool).

Contributor

Thank you LowRanger.

Your understanding is same as mine - that a change to smtp should not affect ability for Tbird's ability to receive INCOMING messages.

However the evidence I reported, does not support either of our conclusions.  Maybe there's more to the story that I have not unearthed yet.

I tried to send an email with Tbird, after regained ability to receive email.  Sending not work.  After couple minutes, got this message:
"The message could not be sent because the connection to SMTP server smtp.comcast.net timed out. Try again or contact your network administrator."

So I went to my secondary email account on Yahoo, and sent an email from there, to my comcast account.  It came into Tbird fine.

Then opened Apple Mail program/connection doctor.  It gave me a green light & msg for outgoing smtp but red light for the incoming server.  I guess that corresponds to Apple/Mail program's capabilities, not to Tbird capabilities.  Apple/Mail is NOT set as my default mail program.  Even Apple/mail shows that Tbird is my default mail program.  So connection doctor is just another tool to check access to my comcast account generally, NOT to check the functioning of Tbird specifically.

I have my POP port at 995, with authentication SSL/TLS, and "Normal password".  And have seen that advice in many places, including Comcast and elsewhere.  So these do not seem to be the issue for my problem.

I too, have had reliable reception for 2 yrs with these settings.  My last Tbird crash in Oct 2010 was, I believe, unrelated.  Couldn't even open the program, or connect to Comcast then.  I can easily open the program currently, and easily connect to Comcast.  It just wouldn't download email for 5 days, until this evening.  But it still won't send email.

Still testing and sleuthing.  An interesting puzzle.  Fortunately, I don't have a business which depends on this, nor much urgent personal email at the moment.

I have a half dozen other settings to change, with more that I can add to the list as I look and think through more info.

Also have some options to create new accounts, not only for my Tbird program, but also for my user account on apple imac os x 10.5

But maybe I'll put your suggestion to "disable Sophos Anti-Virus" program at top of next things to try.

Thanks,
Bob

Bronze Problem Solver

rjam24 wrote:

Checked the account settings multiple times, which seem correct according to the advice here and elsewhere.  Tried changing them temporarily per forum suggestions, but no help.  Mainly using port 995 with SSL/TLS, with occasional temporary change back to port 110 and STARTTLS,

Both those configurations should work.

even tried NONE for authentication briefly.  No help.

I'm wondering about that. In my oldish Windows version of TB, NONE isn't an option in the POP3 configuration.

The upper item said "Comcast" and "Connecting to server..." for about 2 minutes, then quit.  Moving the cursor around and clicking in the area for that item eventually displayed the message "Could not connect to this Comcast POP server.  Check your network connection and that you entered the correct information in the Account preferences.  Also verify that the server supports SSL.  If it does not, uncheck the "Use SSL" checkbox in the Advanced tab of Account preferences"

A few people with Macs have reported mysterious problems with using port 995. CD logs show successful connections, but then nothing else. The only thought I've had about it is that something goes wrong when the client and the server try to negotiate encryption; but that's not really a theory, it's just a "thought".

Bronze Problem Solver

rjam24 wrote:

When I changed outgoing smtp server from STARTTLS to SSL/TLS, the default port auto changed from 586 to 465.

Just in case that's not a typo, the correct port is 587, not 586

Bronze Problem Solver

rjam24 wrote:

Sending not work.  After couple minutes, got this message:
"The message could not be sent because the connection to SMTP server smtp.comcast.net timed out. Try again or contact your network administrator."

FWIW, that error message indicates a mismatch between the service and the port number. Like, say, configuring the SMTP server to use a port other than 25, 587, or 465.
Bronze Problem Solver

LowRanger wrote:

Changing the SMTP (Sendmail Transport Protocol)

Simple Mail Transfer Protocol

Contributor

[ Edited ]

steve-baker wrote...

"Just in case that's not a typo, the correct port is 587, not 586"

Thanks steve-baker,

Yes, 586 was my typo, just in this thread.  It was actually set to 587 in my Tbird account settings.

Apologize for my typos.  I have high myopia, advanced presbyopia and cataracts.  But I get around pretty good for an old duffer.

I'm looking at your other notes.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

LowRanger wrote...

Come to think of it, you might try disabling your anti-software and see if that doesn't clear up the issue next time it strikes.  Some of the programs can create some interesting issues (especially if you're using an outdated version of the tool).

I finally got around to trying that.  It was not easy for me, because my AV for Mac has auto default features and recommends not changing them unless have to.  So I had no experience where the controls for that were and had to read the blueprints almost, to find out.  I have done manual "on demand" scans, which are reasonably intuitive.  But I didn't even know for sure whether my AV scanned incoming email msgs.  My Windows AV's had a lot of controls for those and I knew them better than this imac and Apple OS which I changed to about 3 yrs ago.

So the control is called "on-access" scanning.

I turned that off.  Tried a test send of email from Tbird.  It did not work.

Got the same error message I cited above, in colored text

I planned to add some data I found researching my AV program activity in Apple's "Acitivity Monitor".

It shows a list of my inactive processes in columns, including my AV program with

PID= 127, Process Name = SophosUIServer;  user = (me);  CPU = 0.0;  Thr = 3;  Rsize = 5.70 MB;  Vsize = 361.09 MB (the largest of any of my Inactive processes);  Kind = Intel;  Prts = 95.

Among my (26) Active Processes, activity monitor shows Sophos AV as the 5th largest in Vsize, at 393.74 MB.

Suggests to me it was using a sizable percentage of my computer's capability in some category, maybe virtual memory.  However the graphs of cpu usage, system memory, and disk usage show low usage rates and high unused capacities.  Disk activity and Network spike briefly, but most of the time are low also. 

The AV instructions also recommend turning off, the "scan within archives and compressed files", because it significantly slows down the AV program.

I looked into my settings for that.  I already had that toggled off, in my "on demand" (manual) scans.  Also found that it was off by default, for the "on access" scans (automatic scans when pc is on &/or online).  This COULD have been a problem if it was turned on, because I believe my meticulously organized local folders and subfolders in my Tbird "profile", makes the biggest folder (storage size) on my whole computer.  And those email messages are compacted (compressed).

Contributor

[ Edited ]

steve-baker wrote . . .

FWIW, that error message indicates a mismatch between the service and the port number. Like, say, configuring the SMTP server to use a port other than 25, 587, or 465.

I'm not sure what is the meaning of "mismatch between the service and the port number."  By "service", do you mean something from the ISP - Comcast's side?  Or are you referring to my account settings for my server in my Thunderbird client email?

I have become generally more familiar with the port numbers of 25, 587 and 465, and their significance, in recent days.  Most of the port number changes I've tried were for the incoming server.  And most of those  were auto default changes, when I changed the authentication settings.

I was surprised the change in authentication for smtp, and it's auto changed port number, resulted in regaining my Tbird's ability to receive messages from comcast again.

Don't know why that would happen.  Speculated ephemerally, that it might be due to Tbird version 13.0 requiring heavier security, than Tbird 12.0 did.

It's possible I had changed some other account setting or related matter, but not remembered.  I get alerted to upgrade this, or update that so often, it's impossible to remember it all, without a photographic memory.  And I also sometimes get tips or see options to enhance or improve things, (or back out of them), which I occasionally pursue.

For example, I saw info that Mac users, possibly just those of us using Leopard (OS X 10.5), should de-activate our Java extensions, add-ons or script programs, because of a security vulnerability to the Mac malware that came out about a month or so ago.  So I did de-activate.  However at times, I need something online, that requires Java to be re-activated.  So I guess the 2 or 3 Java applets have been on & off.

Not long ago, Apple released a security upgrade for highly visible malware problem.  Those upgrades were for OS 10.6 and 10.7  (Snow Leopard and Lion).  Appled did not release a securty upgrade for Leopard (10.5).  That led some folks to write article(s) saying Leopard (10.5) no longer would be supported by Apple.

However more recently, some upgrade WAS made available for Leopard (10.5).  I believe I downloaded that security upgrade and let it auto install.  Trying to remember how long this was, before Tbird stopped receiving email.  Or maybe that was the Java related changes.

If I haven't confused readers yet, I probably will, before this is over.

Bronze Problem Solver

rjam24 wrote:

steve-baker wrote . . .

I'm not sure what is the meaning of "mismatch between the service and the port number."  By "service", do you mean something from the ISP - Comcast's side?  Or are you referring to my account settings for my server in my Thunderbird client email?

Well, both, although I'm not sure we're on the same page. A "service" is SMTP, POP3, HTTP, FTP, etc.

The SMTP ports are 25, 587 or 465. The POP ports are 110 or 995. The name of the SMTP server is smtp.comcast.net, and the name of the POP server is mail.comcast.net. If you tried to connect to mail.comcast.net on port 25 (or any other ports besides 110 or 995) you'd get "connection timed out". Mail.comcast.net doesn't "listen" for connections on port 25. Similarly, smtp.comcast.net "listens" for connections only on ports 25, 587 and 465; if you try to connect to smtp.comcast.net on any other port you'll get "connection timed out".

Contributor

[ Edited ]

steve-backer wrote . . .

Well, both, although I'm not sure we're on the same page. A "service" is SMTP, POP3, HTTP, FTP, etc.

The SMTP ports are 25, 587 or 465. The POP ports are 110 or 995. The name of the SMTP server is smtp.comcast.net, and the name of the POP server is mail.comcast.net. If you tried to connect to mail.comcast.net on port 25 (or any other ports besides 110 or 995) you'd get "connection timed out". Mail.comcast.net doesn't "listen" for connections on port 25. Similarly, smtp.comcast.net "listens" for connections only on ports 25, 587 and 465; if you try to connect to smtp.comcast.net on any other port you'll get "connection timed out".

Okay, that adds some perspective.

LowRanger had asked me if I was using pop.comcast.net or mail.comcast.net

I've been using the latter, which you and most others indicate is correct.  But I am thinking of trying the former.  I think I used the former (pop version) some years ago, and though it was not a final solution, it opened some possibilities which I learned from, and eventually did find a solution.  Don't recall whether that was in the early stages of learning my imac/ OS X, or the late stages of resuscitating my very old Windows Millenium.

I actually had purchased Snow Leopard disc(s) 2-3 wks ago, and an external hard drive, to use as exclusive backup/bootable for Leopard, before I upgraded my OS.  But before I could get around to that, this Tbird email problem, and a couple other things unrelated to computers, derailed and delayed me.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

LowRanger wrote

. . .

BTW, I really like the mozbackup utility for working with updates and backing up stuff in Thunderbird.

I looked on Mozilla Thunderbird site.  Mozbackup not listed there as Tbird plug-in or extension.  Googled more widely.  mozbackup is for windows, not macs.  I have a mac.

I looked for Thunderbird backup programs/utilities for a mac.  There were about 4 listed, however some seemed to include many other features, not needed for this task.

iBackup is for Mac OS X 10.3.9 or later, seems the most targeted fit;  freeware by www.grapefruit.ch  Last updated Apr 9, 2012.  It has one review on softpedia.com and got 3 stars on scale of 5.

I just make a copy of my Thunderbird user account profile and save as backup in separate folder elsewhere on my HD.  Seems simple and clean.  However at 1.1 GB, it takes a couple minutes.  And I don't a want too many of those huge folders stashed in places I will soon forget.

Contributor

Have tried some added changes, with different pairs of incoming and outgoing account settings.  Spedifically the port numbers and authentication types.  Password issue was left unchanged.

Also with Antivirus on and off.

In no combination of these settings, was I able to send an email.

Also now can no longer receive email via Tbird.

I may have been able to reproduce part of the cause of the problem.

But am temporarily unable to reproduce the solution, even a part of it.

As long as the results keep changing, I have new clues to explore.

Meanwhile, I've also tried some other variables, such as

how long I keep messages on the server

how long I keep messages on local folder

how many messages I keep before deleting

how large the incoming msg can be

where the archived messages are stored.

I've not yet tried to substitute the pop.comcast.net for mail.comcast.net for the incoming setting

But the variables left untried, seem to be thinning out.

One I haven't tried yet, is to clear my browser cache.  I have a lot of valuable information in my history of urls.  So I need to get that backed up before I clear it out.  Don't know why peope talk about clearing browser cache anyway.  If that were a problem, I wouldn't be able to access the internet at all, let alone just download messages into my email client program.  My broswer access has not been a problem, eithe with primary Mozilla Firefox, or backup of Safari.  I think those people who talk about clearing the cache, are Windows people.  I used to have to clear the cache fairly often on Windows OS.  It has almost never seemed to be an issue on the iMac.

Contributor
ViperGeek

Try disabling IPv6 and see if that helps.  There have been many threads posted recently, complaining about POP/SMTP connectivity going away without any user configuration change.  Turns out, mail.comcast.net resolves with IPv6 before IPv4, and the IPv6 server isn't completely reliable yet.

- Dave

Bronze Problem Solver

rjam24 wrote:

Have tried some added changes, with different pairs of incoming and outgoing account settings.  Spedifically the port numbers and authentication types.  Password issue was left unchanged.

Also with Antivirus on and off.

In no combination of these settings, was I able to send an email.

Also now can no longer receive email via Tbird.

I may have been able to reproduce part of the cause of the problem.

But am temporarily unable to reproduce the solution, even a part of it.

I think you have something similar to Wireshark on your Mac. Some suggestions of what to do with packet sniffing might be informative.

As long as the results keep changing, I have new clues to explore.

Meanwhile, I've also tried some other variables, such as

how long I keep messages on the server

how long I keep messages on local folder

how many messages I keep before deleting

how large the incoming msg can be

where the archived messages are stored.

The last one might be relevant. The wrong permissions can really muck things up.

I've not yet tried to substitute the pop.comcast.net for mail.comcast.net for the incoming setting

That's probably only going to lead to trouble. Both names lead to the same server via DNS, so both should work on port 110 with no encryption, but STARTTLS and TLS/SSL are about more than just encryption, there's stuff about the server being who it says it is, and the name can be relevant. Both names work for me with STARTTLS and TLS/SSL... but you never know. Well, no harm in fooling around with it, I guess.

But the variables left untried, seem to be thinning out.

One I haven't tried yet, is to clear my browser cache. 

That has nothing to do with your email client, but it's often relevant when using webmail. Because the "standards" ain't what they should be.

I have a lot of valuable information in my history of urls.  So I need to get that backed up before I clear it out.  Don't know why peope talk about clearing browser cache anyway.  If that were a problem, I wouldn't be able to access the internet at all,

No, it would only cause a problem with certain web sites, previously visited sites.

let alone just download messages into my email client program.  My broswer access has not been a problem, eithe with primary Mozilla Firefox, or backup of Safari.  I think those people who talk about clearing the cache, are Windows people.  I used to have to clear the cache fairly often on Windows OS.  It has almost never seemed to be an issue on the iMac.

Contributor

Thanks for the added tips

ViperGeek,

and especially steve-baker.

I can see some of that will be helpful.

Will check into it when I can today, and share the results.

Meanwhile, my comments about clearing the browser cache, don't seem to lead directly to a cause or solution.  However indirectly, it jogged my memory as I was going to bed last night.

I might have been TOO CONSCIENTIOUS in pc maintenance.  Wouldn't that be ironic, if it caused the problem with Tbird?

I was getting ready for upcoming upgrade from OS X Leopard to OS X Snow Leopard, and possibly soon after, to Lion.

So I ran my pc maintenance utilities.  I use sudo periodic daily, weekly and monthly in my terminal utility.  It seems to have worked well during the past couple years.  Speeds up my start up time and other things quite a lot.  One of the things sudo commands do, is clear out files and probably caches, deemed unnecessary by some prescripted protocol.

Sometimes when I do a sudo run, I lose some function I had before.  Usually it's just a minor one, like easy or fast access to some websites I need to access regularly.

It may have been just after I did my 3 sudo runs (daily, weekly and monthly), that I lost my ability to get email in Thunderbird.  I have learned that sudo period daily doesn't take long to run - just a couple seconds.  Sudo periodic monthly takes only slightly longer.  But sudo periodic weekly, is the big cleaner, and it runs about 5 minutes before finishing each time.

To make matters worse, I was a bit out of practice this last time, and forgot the precise command line.

Typed "sudo daily" instead of "sudo periodic daily"

I think I got an error message that said no such command or similar.  However if the error message said something different, that could muddy the waters.

Bronze Star Contributor
LowRanger

sudo (super user do) isn't a maintenance utility in and of itself.  sudo is a command to run scripts or programs with root (super user) permission.

What you need to look at is the "periodic" script/program and see what it is doing that might be messing with your network setup.  Be very suspicious of anything that makes reference to scripts/programs with names that start with "ip" (i.e. ipfw).

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Lo and behold!

This evening, about 5-10 minutes ago, after reading up farther on what each of them does,

I ran sudo periodic daily,

then sudo periodic weekly,

then sudo periodic monthly.

After I did that, my Thunderbird email client program received email from Comcast, forwarded email and sent email without problem.

One of the things that at least one of the sudo trio of commands does, is rotate files.  I guess that means if one gets too big, or messed up, it's replacement file helps/resolves/restores.

Perhaps that's what happened tonight.

Will watch it a couple days and see if Thunderbird continues to function well.

At the end of this thread, I hope to give kudos, where due.  That's another subsystem tool I'll have to learn how to use also.

So many things in life to learn.

The info below is excerpts from thexlab.com, in their faqs/maintscripts web page.  It describes the 3 sudo periodic commands, among other things.

The daily script rotates the system.log file, (among other tasks).

The weekly script rebuilds the locate and whatis databases. Depending on the version of Mac OS X, it also rotates the following log files: ftp.log, lookupd.log, lpr.log, mail.log, netinfo.log, ipfw.log, ppp.log, and secure.log

I'm guessing the "whatis" databases, mail log, netinfo.log and secure.log might have been involved with my problem.  But I'm not familiar with the other logs, so can't rule them out entirely.

The monthly script reports per-user usage accounting and rotates — depending on the version of Mac OS X — the wtmp, install.log, and cu.modem.log files.

I use these commands periodically as maintenance tools.  I don't get into reading the scripts.  Forest thru the trees limits.  I'm already too detailed, to cover the breadth of topics and activities in my life.

I do not let these utilities run automatically, as they would, if I left my computer on or in sleep mode all night.  Cannot keep track of them that way, and I don't like my computer being on, except when I'm at the helm.

Bronze Star Contributor
LowRanger

locate is the command line "find" program that uses a database to find files by name (I don't know of there is a GUI side version that uses the same database) rather than scanning the directory structure with each invocation.  whatis is the command line program that gives the 411 on other command line programs.  whatis is really only useful if you spend some of your time in command shells doing non-GUI things.  If you're not a shell weenie, the whatis database contents probably never change.

The other part of periodic (not sudo as you errantly refer to it) appears to be equivalent to the *nix logrotate script which is typically run as a scheduled task (not something the user needs to drop to a shell to do).  This is likely an Appleization (or just a simple rename) of the FreeBSD logrotate program.

According to this link http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/maintscripts.html#Anchor-How-35882 (admittedly dated), Apple does indeed use the launchd (cron?) daemon to run the scripts on the appropriate schedule so your efforts spent on running them manually are likely wasted.

If you're not using the machine as a server (mail, web), you probably aren't getting much benefit from running periodic based on what you've told us it is doing.  There's certainly nothing that you've listed that should have any impact on Thunderbird.  If Thunderbird creates any log files, it will almost certainly maintain them itself.

Contributor

LowRanger,

That is interesting and educational.

Acknowledge that periodic is the actual (script) tool, and sudo is a command.

Last night, after having access to incoming comcast messages with my Thunderbird email client, I later again lost that access.  

It happened, as I was trying to forward some messages in my "sent" folder on comcast, to myself.  Some went through.  But due to comcast's email displays, which I'm not fully familiar with, I thought some had not been sent and tried resending them.  That hung things up again.

During recent days, I needed to reply to a half dozen personal emails or so.  And did so from the comcast website.  But those "sent" emails did to go to my Tbird "sent" folder, nor to my Tbird inbox, since neither were functioning then.

So when Tbird got stuck again last night, I ran the periodic commands, one at a time, followed by retry of Thunderbird after each periodic variation.

Periodic daily did not restore Tbird access.

Periodic weekly did.

So I worked some more with Tbird functioning.  But I again lost access later.  Then I tried all 3 Periodic versions and none of them helped.

So it's likely something else that is affecting my situation.

I appreciate and agree with nearly all you've said, in the latest post.

However I can't agree that my efforts to run the sudo periodic commands, every couple months the last 2 yrs, are wasted.  They have often improved my computer's performance quite noticeably for the better.  And I run them according to my usage needs, not some average computer user's usage, as deemed by Apple or others.

There may be other scripts automatically scheduled by Apple designers/programmers, which operate effectively.  And that is fine.  So long as they work.

It's true, that I am not using the maching as a server.  And it may be true that what I've described about "periodic" should have no impact on Thunderbird log files, or perhaps anything else about Thunderbird.

I am skeptical the regained access to Thunderbird incoming messages, is totally unrelated to the "periodic" script commands, and just an unrelated coincidence.

Even so, I sense the root cause of the problem has not yet been identified.  And It's correlation to "periodic", or a lack of it, is only a clue, not the full answer.

By the time I'm done with this solution, I might know quite a bit more than when I started.

I have read some of the posts in similar threads, by the heavy weight advisors, and benefited noticeably from that.

Bronze Star Contributor
LowRanger

I think you'll agree that since launch runs the script automatically, running them manually is of limited benefit.  If it helps significantly, you would probably be better served to up the frequency with which the script is "launched".

A smattering of timeout troubles have been fixed recently by disabling IPv6.  Have you tried that?

http://www.informationweek.com/byte/howto/personal-tech/desktop-os/231600212

Obviously this isn't a long-term solution but until Comcast fully implements IPv6, this may get you over the hump.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

ViperGeek   6 14 2012   2:34 AM   wrote...

Try disabling IPv6 and see if that helps.  There have been many threads posted recently, complaining about POP/SMTP connectivity going away without any user configuration change.  Turns out, mail.comcast.net resolves with IPv6 before IPv4, and the IPv6 server isn't completely reliable yet.

- Dave

Thanks Dave,

I've taken a look at discussion in another thread nearby, about that.  It seemed to help on a Mac, as well.

I looked at my IPv_ settings.  Looks like they're set up to run both ipv4 and ivp6.  That has been unchanged in the last 2 yrs.

A bit reluctant to make changes, since it's with settings and terminology that I'm not familiar with, and would have trouble changing back, if it doesn't fix my problems.

Apple/System preferences/network shows Airport (wireless) modem as channel.  In TCP/IP window, IPv4 is configured "Using DHCP" (whatever that is).

And lower down, IPv6 is configured "Automatically".

On a hunch, I clicked on button to "Renew DHCP Lease" in the IPv4 area.

Then restarted Thunderbird, and it functioned again, quickly downloading half a dozen emails.

I wonder how long it will stay that way.

Not long.  Less than 15 minutes later, I reopened Thunderbird, and it could not access my comcast email.

Contributor

LowRanger   6 15 2012  2:19 PM  wrote...

I think you'll agree that since launch runs the script automatically, running them manually is of limited benefit.  

I agree with the general idea, but not the specific conclusion.  launch or launchd reportedly does NOT run the script automatically on a Mac.  It only does the 3 periodic script commands if my computer is left on, or in sleep mode overnight, during a set schedule, prescribed by Apple.  Somewhere recently I read the time used, is 3:15 AM until about an hour or two later, near 5 AM.  I don't leave my computer on over night, nor in sleep mode.

In fairness, I vaguely remember reading somewhere, that one or more of those periodic scripts runs when the computer starts up the next time after the scheduled overnight process.  But I can't rely on that.  My console log reports have typically shown the periodic scripts ran, only when I did them manually, or when I had deliberately left my computer in sleep mode overnight, to get the benefit of the scripts running.  It might have happened a couple times, that I was working thru the night with my computer on, and a script ran during that time, and showed up in the log file later.

If it helps significantly, you would probably be better served to up the frequency with which the script is "launched".

That has me chucking.  I don't know how to rewrite the programming or scheduling of the automatic scripts for Apple.  I do know how to adjust the frequency of my manual runs.

A smattering of timeout troubles have been fixed recently by disabling IPv6.  Have you tried that?
Obviously this isn't a long-term solution but until Comcast fully implements IPv6, this may get you over the hump.

Thank you for reminding me.

ViperGeek had suggested it also.  And I had not gotten around to exploring that matter until a half hour ago.  I wrote my reply to him, and the results (favorable), about 15 minutes ago, in this thread.

I'll take a look at the link you included.  Might be some added info in that, not mentioned by ViperGeek, in this thread, or the other hot topic on similar matter, in this same forum.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wow!  It's a rare day, when . . . , someone comes up with a source that simplifies a solution, and describes the steps in text and pictures, perfectly tailored to my precise situation.

That link showed almost 100% what exists on my computer, related to IPv6, where to find it, how to change it, etc.

I had already found it on my own, but was not confident about how to change it.

I made the change described clearly in that link, and also suggested generally by you and ViperGeek.

Thunderbird is working.

I've said that so many times in the last day or two, I feel lucky to be making progress.  If the progress provides an uninterrupted solution, until Comcast fully implements IPv6, then I will feel even luckier.

Hope I'm getting close to dishing out the kudos.  Will have to look up how that is done.  Do I have to split the credit among contributors?  Or can I give a separate rating to each?

Bronze Star Contributor
LowRanger

Dave gets any credit for identifying the problem.

New Visitor
mauroblackcat

Thanks Dave!

Disabling IPv6 on my Solaris box worked like a charm.  Thunderbird now connects to comcast consistently.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19957-01/819-6531/gcvyi/index.html

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thunderbird on Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) is still working today, 24 hrs later.

With IPv6 turned off.

I turned IPv6 back on and retried Thunderbird.  It reproduced the loss of access to email.

Turned IPv6 off and Tbird worked immediately.

I will accept that as the solution.

However, I have read further about IPv6 compared to IPv4.  Then did some basic checking to see how my Internet browser (Mozilla Firefox) performed, not including Thunderbird.  IPv4 was very slow to load many searches and pages.  IPv6 was usually very fast.

I do a lot of research with my browser, as a historical author, and many other wide interests.

Bottom line, I will probably turn IPv6 off, ONLY when I need to access my email.

Meanwhile, I can now move on to my previous plans, to back up my OS and all files/appls to a bootable external hard drive, then upgrade my iMac from OS X 10.5 (Leopard), to OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard).

Not sure if that will remove the need to start switching back and forth between IPv4 and IPv6 every time I want to access my email from Comcast, with Thunderbird.  But could be interesting to find out.

Eventually, I'll also up grade to OS X 10.7 (Lion).  But usually I prefer to get familiar with one operating system, before I jump to another.  These days of being obsoleted every 2 yrs by operating systems, and every 2 months by applications, and every 2 weeks by updates, remind me of another silly phenomenon.

For 30 years, I refused to buy my first home.  The premiums on a home were grossly over-inflated.  Too much of it was due to serving human greed.  When the absurd premiums finally got dumped, I bought a home.  Now, the cost of an existing home, is less than the cost of raw materials to build it, without labor costs.  So it's temporarily absurd in the opposite direction.  Human motivation and psychology is a strange and not always healthy phenomenon.  Computer companies and personnel could be wise to remember that, with their seemingly planned obsolescence of products and services.

Contributor
justforsurfing

I had been unable to access my Comcast email accounts using Apple mail.  This discussion helped resolve the issues.  However, the port could not be set on 110 to make the server connect.  Only port 995 works for me.

Thank you for posting the IPv6 information.  Turning IPv6 off has also resolved issues with Safari loading certain websites very slowly or not at all.

For additional information see the following forum.

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/E-Mail-and-Xfinity-Connect-Help/I-can-t-get-into-my-inbox/m-p/1313239#M...

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the feedback, added info and clarification, justforsurfing.

I have seen the other thread you referred to.

However I'm not sure your link in the above post, is the right one.  It just opens this same thread we are in now.

Sometimes I too, mix up my copying and pasting of link locations.  It's easy to do, with content often scrolled out of view, and especially with my old eyes.

Let's see if I can get the link to your thread right this try.

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/E-Mail-and-Xfinity-Connect-Help/I-can-t-get-into-my-inbox/m-p/1315893#M...

You added the part about needing port 995 instead of 110.  That might have been mentioned in this thread earlier.  However it was not mentioned as a necessary companion to chainging from IPv6 to IPv4.  The discovery process can take many twists and turns.  It's probably a good thing to actually write a summary of only the key parts to the solution, either at the end or beginning of the 'solved' thread.  If I had more time and energy, I'd do it here.  However you've done it pretty well in the other thread.  So I'll appreciate that, and leave it at that for now.

Contributor
justforsurfing

Thank you rjam24 for correcting the link.

The above forums discussing port settings implies both 110 and 995 should work for outgoing email.  However my Apple mail will currently only work using port 995 with my Comcast (Xfinity) high speed internet.

Also, there is only one port setting in the Apple mail.  So perhaps the incoming email port setting is not revealed in the software preferences.  Or Apple just uses one port for both incoming and outgoing.

Bronze Star Contributor
LowRanger

Apple Mail has two port settings; one for fetching and one for sending.

If you've selected SSL/TLS for receiving, you should choose port 465 (the default) for the POP port.

If you've selected SSL/TLS for sending, you MUST use port 995 (the default) for the SMTP port.

Going back after the fact may require some hoop jumping or a visit to the advanced tab.

The key to understanding is to accept that you can't reason (or argue about) how it should work.  Too much analyzing and trial and error isn't going to bear fruit.

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/setting-up-email-for-a-mac

Another option is to use Mozilla's Thunderbird instead of Apple Mail.  It is ever so slightly brighter about figuring out what the settings should be.  Again, don't dismiss what works because you think you might know better.

Bronze Problem Solver

LowRanger wrote:

Apple Mail has two port settings; one for fetching and one for sending.

If you've selected SSL/TLS for receiving, you should choose port 465 (the default) for the POP port.

If you've selected SSL/TLS for sending, you MUST use port 995 (the default) for the SMTP port.

You have POP and SMTP mixed up. Here are the port options:

SMTP
25 TLS supported, authentication required when connecting from outside of Comcast
587 TLS supported, authentication required
465 SSL required, authentication required

POP3
110 TLS supported
995 SSL required

Also, there are no "shoulds" about port 465 and SSL (apparently labeled SSL/TLS by Apple Mail; definitely labeled that way by Thunderbird). It's a MUST.

Bronze Star Contributor
LowRanger

My bad.

The HUGE problem is that Comcast doesn't appear to provide a web page that gives a straightforward list of the settings with some simple background.  You need to look at the configurations for various outdated e-mail clients and try to adapt them to the one that you're using.

I guess it comes down to encouraging subscription to an extra cost service to set up your Internet stuff for you.  Never miss an opportunity to find that last coin in the purse.

Contributor

It might be nice, if the settings for Thunderbird on a Mac, for Comcast, were nicely and easily prescribed.  However even those that have been recommended, have not always worked, without regard to whether they are described, prescribed, or mandated.

So added exploration, shared discovery and the admittedly slow alternative of trial and error, has come into play; sometime leading to a solution, which did not result solely from the mandated settings.

That said, much deviation from the required settings, can open up too many variables to keep track of.  So caution and respect for knowledgeable advice, are often the better path.

While it's true that computers are ruthlessly unvarying in their (normal) programmed processes and results, computers are not always flawless.  Sometimes progress comes from human intervention, persistent research, and sometimes even intuition, and is not otherwise available to end users.  Especially when dealing with Apple corporation's community with it's closed knit proprietary atmosphere.  Comcast isn't quite that rigid, but it has limits and room for improvement also.

Meanwhile, I'm afraid I am tempted to muddy the waters still farther here.

Although turning off IPv6 does still always get me access to my email on Comcast, using my Mac (OS X Leopard 10.5), and Thunderbird, I have been able to get my email with the same ISP, computer and OS, with IPv6 turned ON, for a few days.  I like IPv6 on, because my browser seems to work faster that way, and I think the online security may be better that way.

During that time, I did not change the Pop account settings.  They remain as incoming server = mail.comcast.net;  port = 995;  connection security = SSL/TLS; authentication method = normal password.  And outgoing server = smtp.comcast.net; port = 465;  connection security = SSL/TLS;  authentication method = normal password.

After Tbird was working well again, I went on to clean up my PC, in preparation for backing it up and upgrading to OS X Snow Leopard (10.6).

I have a list of the steps I went thru, some of which are relevant only to my unique PC, like deleting temporary, recent Tbird accounts I'd created just for testing.

Used Onyx to clear out some of my browsers caches and system caches, AFTER I had backed up my system/hard drive, and AFTER I read the instructions about the safety/consequences of cleaning caches, etc.

All of these things seemed to help improve the speed of my start up and computer operations.

After the pc was humming along nicely, I then upgraded my iMac memory cards (I think it's still called RAM or similar), from 2 GB to 4 GB.

Things seem to be going fairly well, with all this.

However today, Thunderbird did NOT access to comcast email with IPv6 turned on.  So I turned it off, temporarily and then email came in okay.

It's inconvenient to be switching back and forth between IPv4 and IPv6.

Maybe somebody has, or will develop a plug-in for Thunderbird, to do that switching at a click of a button, instead of the multiple steps and windows required currently.

One of the things I did after discovering IPv6 turned off, as the main solution to my loss of access to email via Thunderbird, was to de-activate my plug-ins and extensions.  Activating and deactivating those did not seem to affect my access to email.

So my summary solution, is not yet explicitly write-able.  Although I have "accepted" the solution of turning off IPv6, for my situation, as a temporary fix.

Thanks to to those who've contributed.  I've learned quite a lot of useful stuff from you.  Even as most of us have made the occasional mis-step, on this exploration.

Bronze Star Contributor
LowRanger

[ Edited ]

For some, optimizing, tweaking and benchmarking is the primary enjoyment their get from their computer.  For others, they just want it to work.

IPv6 isn't there yet. While Comcast supports it, the support isn't entirely robust.  There probably isn't anything inherently wrong with the protocol (other than the overhead of larger addresses) but there certainly is with Comcast's use of it with respect to serving up e-mail.

I bet you may find a better solution by using an alternative DNS server.  A very large percentage of the Internet isn't IPv6 capable so I'm guessing any gains you derive are related to IPv6 using much less overloaded DNS servers.

The e-mail problem seems to be an issue of their IPv6 implementation not being particularly robust so Comcast DNS servers probably shouldn't give preference to IPv6 e-mail transactions until it is.

Contributor
justforsurfing

After seeing the steve-baker post regarding ports I made variations and learned some more.  Apple mail will work with both POP3 ports 110 and 995.  The preferences will actually automatically toggle between these two port settings when clicking the SSL option from checked to unchecked.  I apparently had trouble because somehow the SSL was checked while port 110 was set.  How it got to the mixed settings is a mystery considering the email used to work fine and then it decided to not work even though I had done nothing to change the settings.

I also checked performance with IPv6 off and with IPv6 set to automatically.  Comcast email and some websites will not function with IPv6 set to automatically.  My internet service provider is Comcast (Xfinity).

Perhaps an Apple OS update or a Linksys firmware update changed the default settings for the network and the email.  This is the only plausible explanation for the system previously working fine and then not working.  However, this not working mode did not happen immediately after an update and my updates are set to load only if I allow it after inputting my password.  So how it became a problem I do not know.  But at least I now understand the issues and the working settings.

LowRanger, I have added DNS Server 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 as suggested by another web forum.  This was to solve a slow loading or not loading website address problem.  However, I have now concluded that my problems are just related to the IPv6 issue. 

Bronze Problem Solver

[ Edited ]

LowRanger wrote:

For some, optimizing, tweaking and benchmarking is the primary enjoyment their get from their computer.  For others, they just want it to work.

IPv6 isn't there yet. While Comcast supports it, the support isn't entirely robust. 

You don't know that. I don't know that you're wrong, but my first suspect would be a router;

edit: To be clear, I'm talking about a NAT router at the customer end.

routers are known to do *very* strange things with IPv4, IPv6 is probably gonna be a cornucopia of glitches. Then the OS. You have lab tested OS IPv6 vs Comcast's real world trials. Which one is more likely to be glitchy? Then the modem.

There probably isn't anything inherently wrong with the protocol (other than the overhead of larger addresses) but there certainly is with Comcast's use of it with respect to serving up e-mail.

I bet you may find a better solution by using an alternative DNS server.  A very large percentage of the Internet isn't IPv6 capable so I'm guessing any gains you derive are related to IPv6 using much less overloaded DNS servers.

That makes no sense. The same DNS servers give IPv4 and IPv6 answers.

The e-mail problem seems to be an issue of their IPv6 implementation not being particularly robust so Comcast DNS servers probably shouldn't give preference to IPv6 e-mail transactions until it is.

That also makes no sense. DNS servers simply answer the questions they're asked. If someone wants an A record, that's what they'll get. If they want an AAAA record, that's what they'll get.

Bronze Star Contributor
LowRanger

If you ask for a record and get an address of a flakey server, you're screwed.  DNS is rarely a 1:1 translation when it comes to web or mail servers.

Bronze Problem Solver

LowRanger wrote:

If you ask for a record and get an address of a flakey server, you're screwed. 

Your assumption that the problem is about flakey servers isn't necessarily correct. And, they're the *same* servers you go to with IPv4 addresses.

DNS is rarely a 1:1 translation when it comes to web or mail servers.

Hmm. Is that supposed to be relevant to your BS about IPv6 DNS servers being less busy, or your BS about Comcast DNS servers preferring to give out IPv6 answers?

Bronze Star Contributor
LowRanger

Can you offer an alternative explanation or are you just throwing rocks?

Contributor

It's too hot to argue.  93 degrees in the shade, and the humidity is higher than the humility.

One thing I hope to learn more about, has been touched on in the last few posts.  IPv4 compared and contrasted with IPv6.  I was only vaguely aware of the two in prior months.  After David mentioned in this thread, the probable solution, I was later surprised to see that IPv6 implementation day was about the same day I started having these problems getting email last week.  And then noticed something about 'them' doing a temporary trial run with IPv6 last January.  I don't know who "them" is.  As I look to the trees to solve my specific situations, I sometimes forget about the forest, and who actually runs it.

Hope to look around some sites that describe IPv4 and IPv6 further.  Meanwhile, my forest might change this evening.  Some folks are set to ask me to take on a new role.  I'm not eager to come back out of retirement.  Have a challenge to keep up with current projects and committments already.

Bronze Star Contributor
LowRanger

This site offers a fairly decent overview:

http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Internet/ipv6_ipv4_difference.html

The flaw in the article is that they don't describe what aspects of IPv6 the gains come from.  It appears from the article that IPv6 doesn't effectively change anything with respect to transferring e-mail but we observe that in practice, that IPv6 currently seems to offer different performance characteristics in some aspects of bandwidth use.

Bronze Problem Solver

LowRanger wrote:

Can you offer an alternative explanation or are you just throwing rocks?

I offered alternatives a couple posts ago.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

LowRanger wrote:

This site offers a fairly decent overview:

http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Internet/ipv6_ipv4_difference.html

The flaw in the article is that they don't describe what aspects of IPv6 the gains come from.  It appears from the article that IPv6 doesn't effectively change anything with respect to transferring e-mail but we observe that in practice, that IPv6 currently seems to offer different performance characteristics in some aspects of bandwidth use.

Thanks, it looks interesting on brief glance.  I'd like to read more of it, but don't have time or energy now.
I found a couple other web pages on the topic also.  Some have more intuitive graphics.  I was going to paste those links.
However as sometimes happens in life, added and bigger things go wrong, before smaller things can be improved.
Today, Internet service from Comcast was slow as molasses in January, most of the day.  So bad, I had to give up on it, and go do other chores.
Then my Comcast "triple play" TV package went kerflooey - don't ask for precise details, so much has gone wrong, I can't remember it all.  And I lost my Comcast phone service completely.
I dug out an old battery operated radio, and listened to FM news for a while.  First time I've used the radio in years.
Eventualy I unplugged my Comcast set top box power and turned it back on.  That started the slow process of reprogramming the Cable TV stations - usually a 1-2 hr process.
Later, after TV was working again, dialed up the Internet.
Wanted to know if Internet service in US was bad today, because of solar flares, or maybe the Iranians/Russians giving the US a dose of it's own medicine, after the US gov't attacked Iran's computers that control their nuclear centrifuges or whatever.
Only thing I found, was that Twitter had some outages.  Nothing about Internet problems globally, nor comcast problems nationally.
My speed test doesn't look too bad.
But my ping test and traceroute test look bad.  Can't find host, host is down, no known entity, & similar.
There was a default local host IP number.  I googled that.  It was some place in the ocean off West Africa, with no known further info.
I had run another test I found, to see if my PC was on FBI's list of being shut down due to being infected or whatever.
I got a green light on that, saying my PC was not infected.
There are so many things that can be checked, every time one little things goes bad, or every time Comcast neighborhood node gets overloaded, that I'm surprised everyone in gov't and corporations and banks, are insisting we abandon snail mail and switch everything to automated online processing.
Comcast hooked up my access on ground level (2 of 3 floors).  But my office is in walkout basement.  The only way to get Internet down here is by wireless router.  I'd prefer to hook my PC to router by cable, and not use the wireless, for security in an condo, and other reasons.  But there's more complications than I can keep track of.  I think Comcast wanted extra money, to have more than one floor level/room, connected to their cable Internet service.

Contributor

For what it's worth, I have this issue, but it's not limited to Thunderbird.  My Android mail client has it too.

I believe that I can receive mail from Comcast using IPv6 (that or DNS gives me IPV4.)

I know that I cannot send to smtp.comcast.net using SSL or TLS.   I run tcpdump to confirm that the TCP conneciton does happen, but then nothing.

These very same systems (XPSP3, Win7 etc.) using the very same Thunderbird work 100% using IPv6 to gmail and my own (dovecot) IPv6 based mail server 'in the cloud'.

Having to turn off IPv6 just to get Comcast mail is a "not fun"

Contributor
RJGnyc

As of late August 2012 I have found the same problem occurring with outgoing and incoming mail, but it is inconsistent:

1.  Not all, but only some incoming messages are rejected & returned as undeliverable (but not with a notice that there is anything wrong with the account).

2.  Outgoing messages go out -- but they do not go out to all addresses; for some recipients, my outgoing mail simply vanishes after sending.  (Thunderbird thinks the mail was sent; no one receives it.)

3.  ALL outgoing messages appear to have a delay of 10-15 minutes before delivery.  Anywhere.  Even internally, to my own Comcast account.

These issues all seem to relate to specific companies' domains, as if Comcast has intercepted them.

I've checked the possiblity of intervention by Norton antivirus by disabling it for incoming and outgoing e-mails, but the problem persists regardless of Norton AV.

The problem is not within Thunderbird, because when I use my 1and1.com account/server my mail works -- in fact, it not only sends everything instantly, but the e-mail arrives almost instantly at the destinations (test recipients include my Comcast account and gmail as well as others).

I wondered if Comcast might be throttling the account, but there would be no reason for this since my bill is paid up and my data transfer volume is quite low (under 2% of the monthly estimated total).  (Side note: the low usage metered also suggests that no neighbor is somehow piggybacking on my wireless router, which is used occasionally by one laptop.)

Any ideas?