New Visitor

Can't open email - blue circle of dots keep spinning

Just bought a new laptop and can't access the Comcast email via Internet Explorer.  Can get to the screen that shows the most recent emails, but when we try to open the entire inbox, we get a blue circle that spins and spins and spins.

We can access the email with other computers in the house, but not this new one - very frustrating - any ideas?

New Visitor
vballkitty

Re: Can't open email - blue circle of dots keep spinning

I have the same issue on a computer that I used for comcast yesterday.  It think there is an issue with comcast.net.  I tried chatting but the customer care representative just didn't understand the issue.

Networking Expert
Baric

Have you cleared you browser cache and cookies?  That fixes many issues.  If still having a problem, try resetting IE.  If still having trouble, try another browser, like Firefox.

Regular Contributor
justwanttolook

I had this issue, using both IE & Firefox & it persisted even after clearing cookies, history, etc.

It started working after a week of having to "work around the problem."

New Visitor
DKS2

[ Edited ]

vballkitty wrote:

I have the same issue on a computer that I used for comcast yesterday.  It think there is an issue with comcast.net.  I tried chatting but the customer care representative just didn't understand the issue.

I experienced the same lack of awareness of a problem when I tried to chat with the help desk.  I can access my email on my Droid, but not on the computer that I have accessed it on for years.  Something has changed.

Email Expert
CCCarole

If you are able to get to the Preview window:  Click on preferences and switch from the full version of XfinityConnect to the Lite version.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

New Visitor
vballkitty

what does the Lite version do?

Regular Contributor
justwanttolook

That never worked for me, I would still get the circling blue dots.

New Visitor

I reset Internet explorer - it seems to have worked - not a big deal since we just got the computer and didnt lose too much history but...would be a pain if this happens again after setting all of our favorites, etc - thanks for the advice
Regular Contributor

If you are able to get to the Preview window:  Click on preferences and switch from the full version of XfinityConnect to the Lite version.

Alas, I get the "blue circle of death" when I click on preferences!
New Visitor
ohkay56

Very nice gal from Comcast just helped me. She had me delete cookies & browsing history (under tools, Internet options, general tab), I was immediately able to escape the twirling circle of death!

New Visitor

I did that but LITE is horrible.   I want the full feature version back.  Or alternatively, does anybody know af an alternative with better features than LITE.

New Visitor
loibud

The access to Email on my Windows 7 Laptop will not access Email even though I can access with my Windows XP desktops.  I have talked to the Technicians twice and have had no luck with their information.  This has been going on for more than 3 months.I think everyone3 who has Windows 7 or Windows 8 should consider another server for their Internet operations. 

Email Expert
CCCarole

loibud wrote:

The access to Email on my Windows 7 Laptop will not access Email even though I can access with my Windows XP desktops.  I have talked to the Technicians twice and have had no luck with their information.  This has been going on for more than 3 months.I think everyone3 who has Windows 7 or Windows 8 should consider another server for their Internet operations. 

Which browser/versio are you using?  Have you tried testing with a different browser?

Do you have the laptop set up to be using the LITE version of XfinityConnect?
To check:

Open XfinityConnect, click on Preferences, and
then click on General.  A window will
open showing you which version is checked

If it is using the Full version, see what happens if you switch to the Lite version.

To do:

Open XfinityConnect

Click on Preferences on the black bar in the Preview window

Click on the General icon

A window will show which one is currently being used.  Temporarily swith to Lite.  Close oput of XfinityConnect, then go in again and see if that made any difference or not.  You can switch back and forth at any time following those steps.

Post back.

You can use a real email client instead of XfinityConnect for email too.  Examples of free email clients would include:  Windows Live Mail, Thunderbird, Gmail, to name a few.  An email client can be configured to Leave copies of email messages on the server when downloading to the email client.

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)

Contributor

This has been a persistent problem, which Comcast has consistently denied exists. See this site:

http://sitedown.co/comcast

I am self-employed and work from home. My email is crucial to my work. This nonsense is having a serious negative effect on my business. How can Comcast get away with this??

Email Expert
CCCarole

Yesterday it was posted that Comcast is doing some hardware and software upgrades.

That could be why you have the issue, but I can't say for sure. 

How long have you had this problem?

Which browser/version are you using?

Have you tried a different browser?  Same results?

Can you get into the Preview Box?  the Inbox?

Have you given any thought to switching to a real email client?  Some of the free ones include:  Windows Live mail, Thunderbird, Gmail.  Using an email client, your email is downloaded right to the client on your PC, in it's Inbox.  A client can also be set up to Leave a copy of email messages on the server when downloading to the email client.

Contributor

I have had this problem intermittently for about three weeks, though it is getting worse. Today has been awful. I've lost email at least 5 times for 5 minutes here,10 minutes there. But always when I really need to get something to a client.

What I find interesting is that every so often when it hangs up I will get a notice saying the problem is on Comcast's end and that they are aware of it and are fixing it. (And it tells me that the phone is out, too.) But most of the time I just get the notice that I should try again later or the one that says that the server is slow, click cancel.

Yes, I could use a client. I already have a separate gmail address. But if the Comcast mail server is down, will that really make a difference? And I don't see why I should have to do that. Shouldn't Comcast's products just work?? Frankly, if I'm going to go through the trouble of finding workarounds, I'm going to take the trouble to just dump Comcast once and for all!

I am using the full version on a Windows 7 PC. I have the same problem whether I use IE 10, Firefox, my smartphone, or my tablet. I have cleared my browser cache.

Sometimes I'm in the inbox trying to send when it goes down. Sometimes I can see the preview box, but can't get into the full box. Sometimes I can't open my mail up up from the Comcast home screen.  

New Visitor
meme2535

Same problem here. Yesterday day there was a 5 hour outage and today cannot open messages. helpdesk said they could absolutely fix it if I purchased a support package 50.00 one time fix or 40.00 + 15.00 a month. I said no. Obviously I'm not the only one with this issue.

Email Expert
CCCarole

See the first post in this clickable link which contains all the directions to try.

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/E-Mail-and-Xfinity-Connect-Help/Can-t-open-Email/td-p/1578483

I would start with making sure that you have Compatibility View on under Tools in Internet Explorer version 10.

Contributor

First of all, this problem is intermittent. I can go through all of this nonsense (which other people have tried to no avail) and not know if it has helped until it my mail crashes again. There is no way for me to "check" if it did the trick. Like so much else with Comcast, I just have to cross my fingers and hope. 

How about this: How about if Comcast fixes the problem on their end. Instead of telling people that they need to spend money on Comcast repair services they don't need, or having customer service people hang up on them, or insisting that this is not a Comcast problem, when it so clearly is? And why would I see (on occasion) a Comcast error screen apologizing for the service problem that they "are aware of and are addressing" if they are not aware of it and not addressing it?  

So far the only thing that has stopped me from jumping off this leaky ship is the enormous aggravation that changing my email address would cause. But the aggravation scale is beginning to tip in the other direction. And Comcast clearly doesn't care.

Email Expert
CCCarole

If you are not happy with XfinityConnect and it's problems, I would suggest that you switch to using a real email client.  Free ones include:  Windows Live Mail, Thunderbird, Gmail.

Webmail is viewing your email on the server, while an email client downloads your email right to the Inbox of the email client.  An email client can also be configured to Leave a copy of messages on the server.

I use a couple of different email clients and use XfinityConnect as my back-up.

As far as fixing the problems go, the XfinityConnect Team has been working on this issue.  Right now they are working too, on upgrades to hardware and software.

Hope this gives you some help.

CC

Contributor

As mentioned earlier, if the Comcast mail server is down I don't see how accessing it via a client would help. Besides, you misunderstand. It is Comcast I am unhappy with, not just the email.
Email Expert
CCCarole

Sorry if I misunderstood. :smileysad:  If you have on going issues with Comcast as your ISP, then I guess your only option would be to switch to another.  But, believe me, they ALL have issues.

Good luck,

CC

New Visitor
BJLink

cannot open email. Blue circle of dots keeps circling when I click View entire email. Ihave tried several technics to no success. I am ready to cancel all internet access and give up.

New Visitor

Selecting the Compatibility option under Tools corrected this problem for me. This has been happening to me for the last week, though I could get to email on my Droid. I have IE 11 on my computer so that may have been the problem. It it solved now so thank your for the suggestion!