New Visitor
Gretch71

Can't open email!!!

I am able to sign in no problem and SEE my emails, I am just not able to open or compose an email.  It just 'thinks.'  What is the problem?  Someone tried telling me to use some other browser but this is a brand new computer with internet explorer 9 on it and I'm also able to remotely open the emails fine.  What is the deal?  Can someone please help?

I did already reset internet explorer via the comcast rep but that is as far as she took me.  Sigh....

Silver Problem Solver
reasd

Re: Can't open email!!!

Hello,

Your information that you posted is confusing. You posted in the xfinity connect mobile app but you mention about that you have a new computer.

New Visitor
Gretch71

Oh geez, I didn't even realize this is only for the mobile problems.  Oops sorry, thanks!

New Visitor
cwjconstruction

I can't open mine either.  Did you every get a response and figure out a fix?

New Visitor
cwjconstruction

Where you able to find out what to do?  I have been having the same problem only to be told by Comcast we now have to pay for support?

Silver Problem Solver
reasd

[ Edited ]

Hello,

1. What email client are you using if any?

2. Are you using the xfinity connect lite or full version?

3. Have you tried clearing your browser cookie, cache and history files?

4. What have you done to try to fix it?

5. Have you tried a different browser?

6. What os are you using?

7. Since most of these problems have been answered already numerous of times have you done a search in the forum and looked what solutions if any were made?

8. Has it ever worked before?

9. How are you opening your mail?

New Visitor
Gretch71

No the lady I spoke to said I needed a new browser but that is just not right.  I have used internet explorer the entire time with no problems.   I should not have to download a new browser, that is not the answer.  I asked to speak to her manager and she said no one was available so they're calling me back tomorrow night.  Rediculous...

New Visitor

i cannot open either...comcast people are NO help!!!!

New Visitor

I am currently having the same problem.  Comcast is no help.  I found out myself after you sign in, click on account at the home page and it will retrieve you info and take you to a home page greeting you Hello,  On this page click check email.  You can do everything from here exept delete emails. 

New Visitor

I'm also having the same issue of not being able to open or compose emails.  It seems to be an IE9 issue, as I can access them from Fire Fox and google chrome.   This is not just a mobile issues, as Im on my home network and cant access them. 

when is this going to be fixed?  we should not have to switch browsers to open emails.

New Visitor
ttopn

I am having the same problem. can't open any e mails

New Visitor
starscream0

How about we all call Comcast and let them know how long our email has been down and demand that they refund us money.  My cousin calls everytime the internet is down and they refund him.  I'm starting to hate this company.

FIX OUR EMAIL NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Visitor

I am Having same issue. Cannot open emails. I can delete them and forward them. all other email accts are working BUt Not comcast. and I have not found the answer on line . I keep going around in circles with the help desk. Not very helpful.

Donna R Jarvis

New Visitor
starscream0

Just tried to access it from Fire Fox and no go.,..... I really need to check some of these emails :smileysad:

New Visitor
starscream0

Just started working thru Fire Fox, then I clicked on one email and it said "a network error has occurred".  Hahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!  Funny comcast, real funny!!

Contributor
okthiswillbestu

freese021    it worked but that is BS!  and that just tells me it's COMCAST's issue...what a surprise

All the money we pay and then they want us to pay extra to solve a problem that they obviously created....

and know that some of us know how to get around it, they create another problem

Visitor

I'm another one that can't get into email.  Thanks for posting the original note..........now I know it's not just me.

Contributor
okthiswillbestu

freese021 I guess I should have gone a little further...yes I can read emails but that's it

can't compose any

can't delete

can't see any of my folders

New Visitor

I called comcast and the guy was not any help at all.  my son told me to go to another browser that he installed foxfire and i typed in comcast.net and was able to get my e-mail....but what a JOKE....all the money we all pay for this and all the advirtising that comcast boost how GREAT they are...what a lie!!!  I also had difficulty accessing another website....I really wish FIOS was available here!!! COMCAST is A BIG JOKE!!! And there support system is a JOKE also!!!! Really upset!!!

New Visitor
scottmcon2

Try opening your email at Comcast with the Firefox browser.  Then after the inbox opens -go to preferences, select settings, and choose the LITE version.  Your other browsers should then be able to open the Comcast inbox & function normally.  FIREFOX for some reason beats the other later browsers and uses either FULL or LITE smoothly.  One can as suggested elsewhere, use the m.comcast.net mobile option.

ciao and good luck.

Official Employee
cc_xc

For those that are still having the issue, does this happen on one computer or on others as well when you try the same email address?

Official Employee
cc_xc

Also, in addition to clearing cache, cookies and temporary internet files, please also try resetting the browser to the default settings.  You should first back up all of your favorites and bookmarks so you can reimport them later.

Official Employee
CC_MikeH

I'm updating the list of troubleshooting steps:

Please try these in order and reply back with results ...

1) Try a different browser

2) On the browser with the issue, try clearing cache, cookies and temporary internet files

3) Reset browser to the default settings (backup favorites and bookmarks first)

4) Load a different skin:

ex1: http://web.mail.comcast.net/zimbra/mail?app=mail&skin=yahoo#1

ex2: http://web.mail.comcast.net/zimbra/mail?app=mail&skin=lake#1

ex3: http://web.mail.comcast.net/zimbra/mail?app=mail&skin=velodrome2#1

These will help us narrow down where the issue is and what needs to be fixed.

In the meantime, these temporary workarounds should allow you to get into your mail inbox:

Lite version (html version): http://web.mail.comcast.net/h/search

Mobile version (barebones version): http://m.comcast.net

Visitor

Hi and thanks for keeping me in the loop on the troubleshooting going on.  My perception is it definitely was a problem at Comcast.  Yesterday was the first time I ever had a problem getting from the mail preview screen to the full mail account and Inbox.  I tried accessing my full email account today (a little while ago)  and it went right into the full mail account.  I made no changes to browsers or any of the other suggestions.  I wanted to see if the problem had been resolved and it was.  Hopefully this helps you understand what happened yesterday.  It wasn't our browsers or cookies or other reasons.  Definitely on your end.

Thanks.

Contributor
okthiswillbestu

only happened on one computer but they have different operating systems

Contributor
okthiswillbestu

did all that still doesn't allow me to do anything once logged in to email

Contributor
okthiswillbestu

I know it has to be them....you log into your email one day with no problem and the next day you can't?   and I certainly didn't change anything on my end

just once I'd like them to admit that they messed up instead of making us jump thru hoops to figure out what they did wrong

haven't tried my computer yet, using my daughter's right now, hers has a different operating system than mine and it seems to not have affected hers

Contributor

I haven't been able to get in since yesterday. All was ok, I put my computer on standby for awhile and when I tried to get back into my email I couldn't.  I can display my in box, but my folders don't load. I can delete unwanted emails. They keep telling me that it is nation wide. A big company like them should be able to fix a problem like this.

New Visitor
starscream0

Hello everyone,  this apparently is a Comcast issue and nobody can tell me different.  I have been checking my email through FireFox and it has been working.  I don't know what the problem is with Internet Explorer, but I'm sure Comcast is updated something.  If you really need to check your email like I did, I suggest you download and install Firefox.  You should be ok.  Hope this helps, good luck to you all.

New Visitor
TreeWeasel

I can't open mine either accept under the account tab! This MUST be fixed immediately! COMCAST have the Monopoly on people basically and they can treat you any way they want! I had a HORRIBLE experience when I actually went in to a Comcast location!

New Visitor
jb_zxcvbnm

This email problem happened about a month ago.  The message just said something about being "temporarily unavailable" and to "refresh your browser and it should return momentarily"..   same message as last time...the entire east coast had problems...it went on for about 6-12 hours...it was comcast and nothing to do with the individual's connections, so don't waste your time with a cust. svc, rep telling you about "cookies" google chrome, etc.

There were 2 posts at that time (think it was in June?) that had given a link to a work around to access your emails, which did work.  I have been trying to look up those old posts to ontain that link again.  If nyone knows of it, please post..it does work

New Visitor
jb_zxcvbnm

Just saw that the first time I ever posted anything was May 9th (2012), so that was when the same massive interruption in email access happened. 

Took page upon pages of angry posts for Comcast to finally post something about it being on their end.  Someone had suggested that Comcast at least put some kind of service message updating the customers about what was going on (which they never did)  The joke of it is, a rep from Comcast posted something about taking that advice into consideration, learning from it, blah, blah, blah, and doing it better in the future. 

New Visitor
jb_zxcvbnm

oh, and my last posting on this....be forewarned...when the email service finally gets returned, your inbox will be bombarded with hundreds of emails form Comcast cust. svc.  that all say the same thing and come in every minute on the minute.

Contributor

LOL lots of EMails a sign of remorse I guess...I FINALLY got a service message and it said in a moment this problem will be fixed...I am glad I didn't call it would have really made me....(lack of word here). ..I live in the San Francisco Bay Area so wow this is almost global!

Regular Problem Solver
BlueJay

[ Edited ]

jb_zxcvbnm wrote:

This email problem happened about a month ago.  The message just said something about being "temporarily unavailable" and to "refresh your browser and it should return momentarily"..   same message as last time...the entire east coast had problems...it went on for about 6-12 hours...it was comcast and nothing to do with the individual's connections, so don't waste your time with a cust. svc, rep telling you about "cookies" google chrome, etc.

There were 2 posts at that time (think it was in June?) that had given a link to a work around to access your emails, which did work.  I have been trying to look up those old posts to ontain that link again.  If nyone knows of it, please post..it does work

Hi jb,

Is this the post you mean..    The key word after right clicking on the link is "save as"..  It has been working like a charm for me..

ciao, bj

EDIT- it sure would help if I had posted the reference-- :smileyblush:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/E-Mail-and-Xfinity-Connect-Help/won-t-stay-signed-in/m-p/1338033#M20806...

message # 30

Contributor

I just called comcast again and the guy told me that the problem was fixed. I said it was not on my end. He then proceeded to talk me thru what had to be done and now I have my email back. So I must have gotten one of the good ones to help.

New Visitor
LFinColorado

I have been having the same problem since yesterday around noon.  I called Comcast and they said to try again in two hours, they are working on it. I read the other posts and tried accessing with Foxfire and got in without any problems.  It's worth a try!

Contributor

I still cannot open EMail....hopefully not the only one. Several mentioned some sort of work-a-round? Can someone describe to me what to do as I really don't want to call Comcast. I am fairly tech savy so.....thanks so much. I live in San Francisco Area and wonder if it is just the area at the present?

New Visitor
scottmcon2

Some of the browsers with windos os (XP PRO for instance) have security problems with the XFINITY email.  To relax the email security to LITE instead of FULL, you have to open the inbox & reset preferences.  Using the FIREFOX browser can do tha.  If you don't have Firefox you'll have to download it, or try the same at a friend's Comcast account service using your email. ciao & good luck

Email Expert
Latoque

Since no one else has mentioned it, I'm going to suggest that all of you at least consider using a real, stand alone email client program on your computer.  Programs like Outlook, Windows Live Mail, Mozilla Thunderbird, Mail (Mac OS X) or any of several others.  That way, if you insist on using your Comcast email address, you can avoid the Comcast webmail portal entirely.  I use Thunderbird for 5 different email accounts, including my Comcast address, and it works just fine.  And you can still always go directly to the webmail portal if you want to for some reason.

But with or without a client program, you can always just use another email provider.  You are not required to use the Comcast mail account just because it's there.  I use Yahoo for my primary account.  You might want to consider Hotmail, Yahoo, gMail, or one of many others out there.  Even in their free accounts, they all offer a lot better bells and whistles than Comcast does, and they are all customizable----something you can't do in Comcast.

Just sayin.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
These are customer to customer support forums. We are paying customers just like you. We volunteer our time to try and help other customers with how-to help, and troubleshoot problems if we can. We can't look at your account. The only Comcast employees in the forums are those with their names in RED.
New Visitor
scottmcon2

Yes ...the issue which I and others discussed here, is the inability to open the INBOX even though the opening CNNECT pages displays a roster of new emails.  So changing that browser (FIREFOX) short term to display the INBOX and to then via PREFERENCES under SETTINGS select LITE security versus FULL security helps speed the display.  Others have not had an inbox display but an unceasing JAVA symbol rotating in unproductive loading.  ciao

Contributor

I downloaded FIREFOX and yes I can open the inbox...I tried clicking on preferences at the top to no avail...could someone tell me if: Preferences are available to reset from FULL to LITE and where do I click as all I can do is alter my spam...thanks. It just seems so ridiculous that this is the case and yes I do have another account at GMAIL but figure since I pay too high a fee for my high speed and TV Cable I ought to be able to get EMAIL with any browser....I did contact by EMAIL Comcast...no answer...thanks so much!

New Visitor
johnson_dm

I was having the same issue.  I cleared my IE history via Tools > Internet Options > Delete and I can now access my email via IE.

New Visitor
scottmcon2

The preferences  link should have a GEAR settings image clicking that gives an option for LITE or FULL security --click LITE to relax the security fir WINDOWS OS's with other browsers

Contributor

Finally got it but didn't clear IE...found the preferences and switched to LITE..Is the LITE version OK to use..??.also noticed that COMCAST was in the process of altering its' EMAIL design and configuration which might have caused the issue....BUT couldn't they say that....very typical from my past experiences....they may get it finally up and running so you can use FULL Version...just makes me angry they do business this way...Thank you to everyone for the help! Is the LITE OK or should I switch to FULL or think I will just wait...?

Contributor

You can delete email  on your email preview...to the right of the subject of your email

Visitor

Hi, I also had the same problem opening e-mails, you can try what i did to fix mine. Log in to your Comcast email and turn on the compatabilty mode feature in IE9, this icon is in, and next to the address bar on the top left of the screen, next to the magnifying glass and it looks like a broken page. I turned it on so its was blue then opened an email, and that finally worked so i closed out of everything signed back in and opened another e-mail and it still worked. So i then clicked the compatablity mode button again to turn it off and everything is still working great, Hope this helps

Email Expert
CCCarole
Contributor

I couldn't open my e-mail either, just the preview window. my grandson advised me to change my browser to Google Chrome and presto i was in !! Google Chrome is so much faster!

New Visitor
llc724

I'm having the same problem, I can't open or compose any emails but it is only this way one one of my computers. This is really frustrating!!