New Visitor

Can't send email via Outlook today

I use Outlook for my email, and today when I tried to send a message I got an error that said:

Task 'tm-oleary - Sending' reported error (0x800CCC78) : 'Unable to send the message. Please verify the e-mail address in your account properties.  The server responded: 550 5.1.0 Authentication required'

In the Account settings, if I click on the "Test Account Settings ..." button, I get an error message in the Send test that says: 

Send test e-mail message: The specified server was found, but there was no response from the server. Please verify that the port and SSL information is correct. To access these settings close this dialog, then click More Settings and click on the Advanced tab.

I was able to send email messages yesterday, and I haven't changed any settings since then. I did check my settings on the Advanced tab of the More Settings dialog, and it all looks correct to me. Is there a problem with the Comcast email servers today?

Regular Contributor

Re: Can't send email via Outlook today

Hi 44735,

Where are you located? I'm near Placerville, CA and just started experiencing the same thing about an hour ago. I tried calling "Tech" support but all I could get from him is that "there are no network issues."

I'm talking to a supervisor right now who's "looking into it ..."

Contributor
Tetra-Pro

I'm in Gaithersburg, MD and am also having the exact same problem.

Visitor

I'm so glad to see that I'm not the only one with this issue tonight.  It was working up until 3 pm (est) and now I'm getting the same error message as your both getting.  I'm in NH

Message-

The message could not be sent. The authentication setting might not be correct for your outgoing e-mail [SMTP] server. For help solving this problem, go to Help, search for "Troubleshoot Windows Mail", and read the "I'm having problems sending e-mail" section. If you need help determining the proper server settings, please contact your e-mail service provider.

The rejected e-mail address was '----------@comcast.net'. Subject 'testing testing ', Account: 'mail.comcast.net (1)', Server: 'smtp.comcast.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 5.1.0 Authentication required', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC78

New Visitor

After I sent my message I noticed that this is also being discussed in the "why do I always have to change my emial settings" post that was sent a little while ago. The gist of that discussion with respect to fixing the problem is that you should go up to the E-Mail Help Forum page and click on the message in the "Top Kudoed Messages" list that has to do with specifying settings for email in Outlook, Windows Mail, etc. It says that we need to check certain boxes that I didn't need to have checked before and to change the outgoing mail port number. I followed all of the steps in that message for Outlook 2003 and I can send email again.

New Visitor

Same exact problem here in Western WA.  Contacted Comcast and they had no idea.

Regular Contributor

Anon44735,

Sorry, but changing your settings probably didn't *fix* the problem ... and you might want to consider changing them back.

There is a nationwide problem - I was on the phone with a supervisor - And while I was on, one of my messages went out. The remainder were blocked by anotehr 550 error. So whatever this authentication problem is, it's intermittant.

I would recommend changing your settings back becasue when Comcast fixes the problem, you might want to be configured with your original, known-to-work configuration.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Same exact problem here in Tomball, TX (northwest of Houston) with Outlook 2002 (MS Office XP Professional).  I called Comcast and OF COURSE the level 1 support person automatically assumes it's an issue with my system.  It can't POSSIBLY be something on Comcast's end...oh noooooo.

My system has been working flawlessly like this for 7 years or so with NO CHANGES in account settings...why would it all of a sudden stop working now?  I was in IT support for 8 years....I can't STAND calling tier 1 support lines.  Not to sound like a pompous b-hole, but I've done 99% of the troubleshooting on my own and can probably tell them what the issue is on their end.  Just do a good ol' fashioned reboot!  :smileylaugh:

p.s. I heard there's a virus going around today, so be careful what you open...

Email Expert
JR071702

Please refer to the e-mail client settings detailed in this post and adjust your settings as necessary.

JR

Contributor
Tetra-Pro

First, I bumped up my server timeout to 3 minutes.

Then I got it to work about 15 minutes ago with incoming 995, outgoing 465, server auth checked for both.

Now suddenly my default settings are working again - incoming 110, outgoing 25, server auth unchecked for both.

One thing I did in both cases was follow the advice in the settings thread, and exit Outlook 2003 completely, check Task Manager to make sure there were no Outlook.exe processes running, and start Outlook again.

New Visitor

[ Edited ]

I was on w/ tech support.  it is apparently a Microsoft problem (only Outlook has the issue apparently) striking random markets.  Should be fixed w/in 24 hrs. I have tried some alternative settings with no luck, so I think I will just wait it out.  I am in Minneapolis, MN

Contributor
Tetra-Pro

My apologies for being unclear in my prior post.  I meant to say "SSL encryption" instead of "server auth".

For the record, here is what I have working right now:

On the "Outgoing Server" tab, I have checked the "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires auth" checkbox. 

On the same tab, I have selected the "Use same settings as my incoming server" radio button.

On the "Advanced" tab, I have incoming port 110 and SSL encryption unchecked; I also have outgoing port 25 and SSL encryption unchecked; I also have the "Server Timeout" set to 3 minutes.

New Visitor
dapperdave64

I have the same problem in Crockett, CA (San Francisco Bay Area)... bummer!

New Visitor
spat123

Same problem here. This happens occasionally and randomly. Can someone hyjack those settings?

Contributor

JR071702 wrote:

Please refer to the e-mail client settings detailed in this post and adjust your settings as necessary.

JR

Why would we all suddenly need to make settings changes?

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Guys,

I'm watching this thread and somewhat disheartened by the recommendations and comments:

1) When a problem occurs all of a sudden, the *last* thing you want to do is start changing settings. When Comcast gets the problem resolved, you may have unknowingly created a new connection problem for yourself.

2) I'm particularly annoyed when a self proclaimed "Email Expert" stumbles across this thread, and without any direct knowledge of the problem, posts a link to "Check settings." Huge disservice!

3) I'm not sure where the "Microsoft problem" came from - The supervisor I was talking to said the same thing - Except that the error message "550 Unauthorized" was coming from Comcast's SMTP server! Besides, Thunderbird folk were having the same problem. Thunderbird is not a Microsoft problem. This is a COMCAST problem. Period.

Out here in Central CA, at 4:45PM PDT, I'm still experiencing problems although once in a while a single email will squirt out. But at least we have gone from "You're the only one!" last hour to "We're working to fix it" now ...

Visitor
Brewjaz

Same problem here in Mechanicsburg, PA.  Can receive e-mail but cannot send--been like this for an hour.  I tried changing port settings--no change.  Guess I'll wait it out too.

Recognized Contributor

Same problem here in Indianapolis.  I can receive fine with Outlook Express, but when I go to send, here is the error message

The message could not be sent because the server rejected the sender's e-mail address. The sender's e-mail address was 'MyEmail@comcast.net'. Subject 'test 321', Account: 'mail.comcast.net', Server: 'smtp.comcast.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 5.1.0 Authentication required', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC78

New Visitor

Fixed the Problem

[ Edited ]

Outlook 2003 - went to Tools - Accounts - Change settings - More Setting - Outgoing server tab.  Checked the first box - server requires authentication and checked the second as well - Use same settings.  Close Outlook and make sure Outlook is fully closed via task manager.  restart and send works fine.  Worked on my PC as well as my wife's

New Visitor
Chrisfog

Same thing in Santa Cruz CA

Visitor
Brewjaz

I want to add that I changed my port settings back to the original after trying another!

Recognized Contributor

Re: Fixed the Problem

Worked for me, thanks

New Visitor

I'm in central PA and also having rejection messages when trying to send email.  DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME WITH LIVE CHAT.  I tried that route until they told me I needed to create new accounts with new user names.  I ended the chat and called a live person.  They told me that they are having email issues with third party programs like outlook and outlook express.  They also told me that the live chat is usually routed to and third world sh**hole and most of them don't even work for comcast.

New Visitor
LynneMc1

I use Windows mail.  I'm in the Memphis, TN area and I've been unable to send any mail now for over 2 hours.

New Visitor

Add me to the list too.  I'm in Fitchburg, Mass.  I haven't been able to Send anything for the past

4 or 5 hours.

And no, I am not changing settings just because Comcast can't fix their nationwide server problem.

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

I'm in Albuquerque, NM and email has been working fine all day. I just checked a minute ago with a test message.

I use Outlook 2010. Incoming port: 110. outgoing port: 587. no SSL, but outgoing server set to require authorization, settings same as incoming server.

"Once I talked to the inmates of an insane asylum in Hartford. I have talked to idiots a thousand times, but only once to the insane..."
Mark Twain

Microsoft MVP, Consumer Security, 2005-2014
Visitor
sydsmom53

I can't send email either. Just was on phone w/ manager and he said it was a microsoft problem.  He had me change my outgoing mail server settings and it still didn't work.  I just went into my work account and sent an email through outlook w/ no problem.  I am pretty sure this means that comcast is having problems, not microsoft.  Between phone outages over the past 2 months and now email problems, I am wondering why I even use comcast anymore.

New Visitor
gezen

I'm in alpharetta, ga.... having the same issue

New Visitor
kittyherder

Am also in the Placerville, CA area and have not been able to send an email message from any of our Comcast accounts.  Incoming messages are hit and miss. Glad (well sort of) to know it is not just my computer. Have really never know the company to admit it is a problem at their end, but the proof seems to be in all the posts from different areas.

If anyone from Comcast is reading these messages, please try to give your customers a time frame for these email/server issues to be corrected.

Thank you.

New Visitor

No outgoing my in Seattle for about 2.5 hours now.

Visitor
madlhoch

ditto in Seattle.  same error, different message.  been going on all afternoon

The message could not be sent because the server rejected the sender's e-mail address. The sender's e-mail address was 'b_m_adlhoch@comcast.net'. Subject 'good wine!', Account: 'mail.comcast.net', Server: 'smtp.comcast.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 5.1.0 Authentication required', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC78

New Visitor
nancyeileen

I can't send emails either in NJ... I was able to get emails but can't send them out - must be a comcast problem... <sigh>

New Visitor
nomadx64

For some incredibly STUPID reason, Comcast configured their mail servers to require authentication today WITHOUT NOTIFYING USERS.

After spending time troubleshooting my own systems, and realizing that they were functioning fine, I discovered that Comcast had made this change.  Now, while requiring authentication is a good thing, because it cuts down on people using Comcast to send SPAM, this kind of change MUST BE COMMUNICATED TO THEIR CUSTOMERS.

Go to your mail program (Mail, Outlook, Entourage, Thunderbird, whatever), and change the settings to your SMTP (or outgoing) mail server.  Select the option to require authentication, and enter your comcast.net username and password (like this:  user@comcast.net)

This should make mail send properly again.

Recognized Contributor

Atlanta, Ga. Outlook Express. Just started today.  Let's get it together Comcast

The message could not be sent because the server rejected the sender's e-mail address. The sender's e-mail address was 'USER@comcast.net'. Subject 'Re: Fw: READY FOR BASEBALL SEASON ?', Account: 'mail.comcast.net (1)', Server: 'smtp.comcast.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 5.1.0 Authentication required', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC78

Visitor

[ Edited ]

ahh yes, that fixed it fine Nomadx64 !!  Thanks, now i can go to bed and know it works again !  thanks !

New Visitor
spat123

The Nomad fix worked for me too. Thanks!!!

Official Employee
ComcastJordan

Folks,

It does appear there is an issue with unauthenticated connections to our email. We have been actively troubleshooting the issue. At this time, if you are experiencing issues sending mail from a thick client, as many helpful users have pointed out, please change your settings to connect using authentication, per our instructions found here.

As soon as we have resolution and unauthenticated mail is restored, we will post back to this thread. 

Visitor
madlhoch

'poifect'  thank you!

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

The issue is not limited to Outlook.

I use The Bat email client.

When I hit send, I got the following message:

Server reports error. The response is: 5.1.0. Authentication required

I changed my setting and the message got sent.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

New Visitor
G_layne

Thanks! This is the first problem I have ever had in years using Comcast SMTP. Please get it fixed quickly!

New Visitor

This fix doesn't work for Outlook 2003.  Hey, thanks!

New Visitor
starkman

Here in Boulder, CO, sending email has been impossible for several hours. Trying Nomad's suggestions seems to work!

Still, an inexcusable glitch on Comcast's part.

New Visitor
Chrisfog

I'm hesitant to make these changes, as my incoming mail servers (I have three different email servers) are not comcast.  I only use comcast for my outgoing mail.  So will that screw up my incoming mail servers if I follow these instructions? I think yes.  Hey, I've had this configuration for years and its worked perfectly.  Hey comcast guy, any idea how long it will be before you fix this?

Regular Contributor

Jordan_RO,

I'm disappointed in your post. Given that the issue is intermittant and behaving differently at different locations across the country, a one-size-fits-all response is inappropriate. And what happens to the users who make the change when Comcast fixes the problem? Is it your intention to provide uninstall instructions?

I did try the authenticated server approach while I had the supervisor on the line. We tried both SSL and non-SSL, we tried port 465 and 587, we tried deleting the account and reestablishing it - Nothing worked. Then he checked with his management and heard that in fact this problem was occuring nationwide.

Please stop telling people to reconfigure their computers while there's clearly still a problem at Comcast.

New Visitor

For some reason my settings for outlook 2000 where wrong today ... Worked fine yesterday. I changed my setting back according to what Comcast said they should. After doing that I still had a problem, l looked through the setting again and notice that in the Servers tab, the Outgoing mail (SMTP) in my setting had change itself to smPT. After making that correction, my e-mail is now working fine...

Good Luck

New Visitor
areik

It's also a problem on Mail on the mac. And I don't see an obvious way to add the outgoing email verification.

New Visitor
dapperdave64

The solution suggested by Comcast worked for me

I followed these instructions posted by comcast in this thread and it worked for me. However, I did not change the ports - I kept them at port 110 for "Incoming Server (POP3)", and port 25 for "Outgoing Server (SMTP)"

All I had to do is check “My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication”

and also check “Use same settings as my incoming mail server".

Works fine now. 

Outlook 2007:

1. choose Tools
  2. choose Account Settings
  3. choose the Email tab
  4. click on your Comcast account to highlight it
  5. choose Change
  6. enter Your Name (whatever you want to appear on your messages)
  7. enter E-mail Address (your full Comcast email address)
  8. choose POP3 as the Account Type
  9. Incoming mail server is mail.comcast.net
  10. Outgoing mail server is smtp.comcast.net
  11. enter User Name (your Comcast user ID, the part before "@comcast.net" in your email address)
  12. enter Password
  13. check "Remember password"
  14. make sure “Logon using Secure Password Authentication (SPA)” is NOT checked
  15. choose More Settings
  16. go to the Outgoing Server tab
  17. check “My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication”
  18. choose “Use same settings as my incoming mail server”
  19. go to the Advanced tab
  20. choose SSL encryption for both incoming and outgoing servers
  21. change port number to 995 for incoming, 587 or 465 for outgoing
  22. bump up the Server Timeouts slider to the high end
  23. Click OK, Next, Finish
Official Employee
ComcastJordan

[ Edited ]

Authentication over 587 has been the preferred method of sending email for more than five years.  That being said, we do recognize that many of customers still use port 25 for sending.  My recommendation for changing your settings was to help users that needed to send as soon as possible while we work out this issue.

At this time, we believe this issue is resolved.  If you continue to experience any issue sending, please restart your computer since email clients do have a nasty habit of caching settings, before posting to this forum.

Retired Administrator
CC_Dete
Visitor
Brewjaz

E-mail problems were resolved this morning.