Contributor
Accepted Solution

Can't send emails with Kindle Fire

I can receive incoming emails with my Kindle Fire, but cannot send emails.  I have the outgoing server settings at:

SMTP.comcast.net

Security Type: SSL (always)

Port:  I have tried both 465 and 995

Require sign-in: I have tried it both checked and unchecked

Authentication Type:  Automatic (I have also tried all the other options)

Username: The user name without the "comcast.net", but have also tried it with the "comcast.net"

Password:  The correct password for that account.

When I use these settings I get the following error message: "Email Provider Issue. We were unable to verify the provider's certificate.  Would you like to accept the certificate or decline and try again?"  I have tried both options and it still won't work. I also get the following error message when I try to send an email: "Failed to send some emails."

Am not sure what do do from here.  Would appreciate any advice/guidance.  Thanks!

New Visitor
galau

Re: Can't send emails with Kindle Fire

I'm having the same problem.

Contributor

I think I have it figured out and I can now send emails from my Kindle Fire. 

The problem is that when you go through the set-up screens and enter your user name, the Kindle Fire assumes that is your outgoing email address.  As a result, you end up trying to send an email from a non-existent email account. So, to be able to send emails, you must go back into settings for the account on your Kindle Fire and enter the entire outgoing email address.  

For example, let's say your email address is abc@comcast.net. When you go through the email set-up screens on the Kindle Fire, it asks for your user name.  You would probably type in "abc" (without the "@comcast.net").  After you go through all the rest of the set-up screens for the account, you must go back into settings for that account.  Once at the settings for the account, scroll down to "Sending mail" and select "Composition defaults".  The "Your email address" field will show "abc".  Change that to abc@comcast.net.  The user name that you initially set up will remain "abc", but the outgoing email address that will be used to send emails will be abc@comcast.net. Then you will be able to send emails from the Kindle Fire.

I hope my explanation makes sense.

New Visitor
galau

Thank you very much! It worked! I've struggling with it for a while and decided to check the internet to see if anyone else had this problem.

G

Contributor

Cool! Am glad it worked out. :-)

New Visitor
pozfour

New Visitor
pozfour

I'm elated....your suggestion worked! Thanks so much!
New Visitor
JackieBrit

I have been struggling with this issue for two weeks since I received my Fire.  I was excited to read your solution and especially when I read that it worked for others.  Unfortunately it didn't resolve the problem for me.  Do you have any other suggestions?

Contributor
tedsdeb

BrentP, I tried your fix also and it didn't work for me either.  Any other ideas people??

New Visitor
galau

Make sure you enter your complete comcast user name. Also, Amazon does specify a different outgoing going port than the default. Check out the Amazon support page for the Kindle Fire.
Contributor
tedsdeb

I've done this, but still no luck.  Should I just delete the account and start over?  It's so frustrating!

New Visitor
Rhalb

I had the same problem. Just fixed it going to the composite default setting and adding the 'Comcast.net' to the Your Email Address field there. Despite me entering it in the set up, it didn't carry over to that field. In the composite setting
Contributor
tedsdeb

thank you.  And where would I find the composite default setting?  

Contributor
tedsdeb

Rhalb,

In looking, I find 'composition default options' under settings.  I do have comcast.net added in the email address field, but not in the 'your name' field.  If that's what you mean, it's not working for me either.

New Visitor

I can finally send, not receive.  The "support" said it is a problem with Comcast, and they hoped to have an update/fix.  Any suggestion for ability to receive?  I am also trying K-9...same results!

Contributor
myethreesuns

Same issue here...can receive but not send, this is very frustrating...another comcast issue...can I get my money back?

Contributor
myethreesuns

Same problem. Can received, but not send. When I use the outgoing port setting of 587, it says "unable to verify provider certificate". what does that mean?

Contributor
myethreesuns

Got it to work with the above, and 2 additional items:

Went to comcast mail preferences, and switched from xfinity light to the normal email

Then, on the security onthe kindle, I shut it off....sent an email, and it went through.

Then, turned the security back on and then it worked again.

Not sure if it works due to the combination of both, or just one of these items, so I thought I would pass it on.

Funny how both the comcast folks and kidle folks couldnt figure it out.

New Visitor
Rhalb

No, it was just the second field that states your email adress. It had my Comcast user name loaded by the set up program, but not the @comcast.net after it. Added tht and then it worked The Your Name field is just my name. When I went to start the set up under OTHER under e listing with gmail etc, I did have problems with the part that said name or username where it wasn't clear that it had to have the full email adress.
Contributor
tedsdeb

I can't find comcast email settings on the kindle, therefore I cannot find a choice anywhere between xfinity lite and regular.  I find the regular settings, but nothing specific to comcast, even when in that account. Any help would be appreciated.  I am so tired of messing around with this problem.  Has anyone just deleted their account completely and manually re-entered it with any luck?  Thanks.

Contributor
tedsdeb

I meant to say comcast "preferences"...can't find them...

Contributor
tedsdeb

Ok, I got mine to SEND!!!!  This is what I did.  I went into my mail preferences on my macbook.  From there, I went to 'composing', from there I went to 'send new messages from', and changed my setting from 'myname@comcast.net' to 'account of selected mailbox'.  I'm thinking that the way I had it set up allowed me to only send it from my macbook.  Now I can send from both.  whew!  Don't know if that will help anyone else, as there seems to be more than one fix, but hope it does.  Thanks for all of the input.  I am so relieved!

Deb 

New Visitor
Cannondaledude

You're brilliant.  Confirmed your settings.  Set up the Comcast.net email as normal on the Kindle Fire, then go back into the settings for the Comcast.net account > Sending mail > Composition defaults > "Your email address"  - enter your complete comcast.net email.

Sends email once again brilliantly!

New Visitor

ditto what everyone said...this did the trick.  have been frustrated like the others.. THANKS!

New Visitor

I did all of the above and still had problems. After I checked and made sure my email had the whole thing listed in settings. I changed the port to 465 and it went through seems different comcast locations have different ports. Hope this helps somebody

New Visitor

For those that are still having problems, here's what fixed it for me (after trying all permutations in this thread):

SMTP Server: smtp.comcast.net

Security type: none

Port: 587

Require Sign in: checked

Authentication Type: AUTOMATIC

Username: <your_user_id> -- DO NOT include @comcast.net!

Password: <your_password>

The key is to leave Security type as none, otherwise you'll get the annoying message about the secure certificates.

New Visitor
Maestro123

This thread is very interesting- if I had a Kindle Fire. I have a similar problem with my HTC cell phone. On initial setup it worked fine sending and receiving mail. After the last reboot (must be done periodically) it seems to have mixed up the server settings. I have been trying to get info from Comcast but they seem to have disappeared behind an iron curtain. Even the phone does not get thru as they keep cutting the connection off. Incoming port is set at 110 and outgoing is set at 586. Can anyone verify these settings?

Email Expert
CCCarole

Is 586 a typo?  Try 587 for smtp.

CC

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

New Visitor
DeeRides

Brent.....Thank you so much for the info. I've been having trouble sending and receiving emails on both our Kinfle Fire's. Amazon's help section is useless for this kind of stuff. I should have known to go to the 'net first!

Thanks again.....it finally works!

Dee

Contributor

Cool!  Am glad it worked out for you!  :smileygrin:

New Visitor

I had this problem for over a year ... then BANG ... fixed it ... here is how.   I have had a Comcast account for many years and for all this time have been using the same user name and password from many years ago.  When I could not get email sent from my Kindle I deleted the account and tried to added the comcast email accout again.  The kindle kept telling me that my user name and password was not recognized.  I though "What the Heck" ... because I knew I was putting in the information correctly.  I went to Comccast at that point to check out my password ... everything worked fine so on a whim I decided to change my password.  Low and behold Comcast requires a different password format than when I orginally started my account.  I changed my password then went to my Kindle and added my Comcast email account and BAM ... fired right up and now I can send and recieve email.  

SSSOOOOO ... If you have had a Comcast account with the same old username and password for several year, and are having trouble getting your Kindle Fire to send or recieve email to and from Comcast, try changing you password online then add you comcast email account to your Kindle.  Hope this helps everyone.  

New Visitor
midgeepoo

Thank You Thank You THANK YOU!!!!!!!!! I have been going crazy trying to figure out why I could receive emails but not send them.  Did what you said and am now able to send emails!!!!! YIPPEE!!!