Contributor

Can't send messages from Outlook Express

All of a sudden I am unable to send messages with Outlook Express 6 and I get the following error: The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail.comcast.net', Server: 'smtp.comcast.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 587, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E.  I am using a PC with IE8 and Windows XP 2002.

Thanks.

Email Expert
CCCarole

Re: Can't send messages from Outlook Express

Moved to it's own Thread to avoid confusion with the orginal poster's problem

Email Expert
CCCarole

petras2131 wrote:

All of a sudden I am unable to send messages with Outlook Express 6 and I get the following error: The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail.comcast.net', Server: 'smtp.comcast.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 587, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E.  I am using a PC with IE8 and Windows XP 2002.

Thanks.

Recheck your settings in OE and make sure that 'This server requires authentication' is ticked, and that SPA is NOT ticked. (Secure Password Authentication) 

You should be able to use 587 without SSL for SMTP.  But- you can try using 465 with SSL on, and 995 for POP with SSL on.

I also hope that you know Outlook Express is no longer being supported by microsoft?  You might want to switch over to Windows Live mail.  (download & configure it)

http://download.cnet.com/Windows-Live-Mail/3000-2367_4-98282.html

CC

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Contributor

Hi CC,

I made the changes you suggested and after that I couldn't send or receive through OE.  I changed the incoming port back to 110 and the incoming worked again.  I cleared the IE cache and that didn't help either.  I've gone through the Comcast instructions for OE myself and over the phone and chat line with Comcast.  Any final thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks for your help.  SP

Email Expert
CCCarole

petras2131 wrote:

Hi CC,

I made the changes you suggested and after that I couldn't send or receive through OE.  I changed the incoming port back to 110 and the incoming worked again.  I cleared the IE cache and that didn't help either.  I've gone through the Comcast instructions for OE myself and over the phone and chat line with Comcast.  Any final thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks for your help.  SP

What port do you now have set for sending?  (SMTP)  With or without SSL or any others enabled)

Are you getting an erro message when trying to send now?  Post it please.

Do you have more than one Idenity set up in OE?  Check each Idenity's port settings.

If it were me, I would back up any emails you have saved in OE to a CD or External drive, and make the leap to Windows Live Mail. Gmail,etc.

CC

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)

Contributor

Right now I have outgoing port 465 with SSL.  Originally I had tried setting up gmail through OE but it wouldn't allow me to have 2 accounts so I deleted the gmail account.  Then I started having the incoming/outgoing issues.  I checked the account info and it had reverted to the gmail account settings.  I deleted the gmail settings and added back the Comcast settings.  After that the incoming was ok, but the outgoing problem has persisted.

Here is the latest error message:

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail.comcast.net', Server: 'smtp.comcast.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 465, Secure(SSL): Yes, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E.

Thanks.

Contributor

Just for grins I set the incoming port back to 110 (no SSL) and the outgoing to 25 (+/- SSL...doesn't matter) and they both work now, but if I switch to any of the ports send/receive doesn't work anymore.  I'm confused.

Bronze Problem Solver

petras2131 wrote:

Here's a couple thing you could try that might shed some light on the situation. Open a command window and enter:

tracert smtp.comcast.net

Post the results of that (right clicking should bring up a menu allowing you to mark, and then copy text) and then enter:

telnet smtp.comcast.net 587

What happens?

Contributor

Hi Steve,  This is what happens:

C:\Documents and Settings\user>tracert smtp.comcast.net

Tracing route to smtp.g.comcast.net [76.96.62.117]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    18 ms    10 ms     9 ms  73.168.76.1
  2    14 ms     9 ms    10 ms  ge-2-30-ur01.nstonington.ct.hartford.comcast.net
 [68.87.149.85]
  3    10 ms     9 ms    10 ms  po-20-ur01.groton.ct.hartford.comcast.net [68.87
.182.26]
  4    17 ms    31 ms    20 ms  be-22-ar01.berlin.ct.hartford.comcast.net [68.87
.147.1]
  5    20 ms    19 ms    19 ms  pos-1-8-0-0-ar01.woburn.ma.boston.comcast.net [6
8.87.144.162]
  6    23 ms    23 ms    23 ms  pos-0-0-0-0-ar01.needham.ma.boston.comcast.net [
68.85.162.141]
  7    29 ms    27 ms    27 ms  pos-2-0-0-0-cr01.newyork.ny.ibone.comcast.net [6
8.86.93.33]
  8    29 ms    29 ms    29 ms  68.86.93.22
  9    27 ms    27 ms    25 ms  te-1-1-ar02.philadelphia.pa.bo.comcast.net [68.8
5.215.178]
 10    49 ms    32 ms    31 ms  te-8-2-ar01.newcastle.de.bo.comcast.net [69.139.
244.33]
 11    38 ms    45 ms    36 ms  te-0-3-0-2-ar01.westchester.pa.bo.comcast.net [6
8.86.228.110]
 12     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 13     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 14     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 15     *        *        *     Request timed out.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\user>telnet smtp.comcast.net 587
Connecting To smtp.comcast.net...Could not open connection to the host, on port
587: Connect failed

C:\Documents and Settings\user>

Bronze Problem Solver

petras2131 wrote:

C:\Documents and Settings\user>telnet smtp.comcast.net 587
Connecting To smtp.comcast.net...Could not open connection to the host, on port
587: Connect failed

C:\Documents and Settings\user>

Well, that's consistent with the OE error message, and it eliminates OE itself as the problem. It looks like something on your computer/router, a firewall or something, is blocking stuff. Here's a few more things to try.

telnet 76.96.30.117 587

telnet 76.96.62.117 587

telnet smtp.gmail.com 587

The first two are addresses for smtp.comcast.net, and the third one, obviously, is for gmail. I'm guessing that'll show that a particular IP address is being blocked. If not, and it's about the port, that would suggest that an AV program is mucking things up.

Contributor

All 3 addresses failed.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

0x800CCC0E

The connection to the server failed. Account: 'mail.comcast.net', Server: 'mail.comcast.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

OR

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail.comcast.net', Server: 'smtp.comcast.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

This error indicates that Outlook Express is being blocked from accessing the Comcast email server. This can be caused by either:

1. You have a firewall application that is blocking Outlook Express or the ports that is uses. Make sure your firewall is set to allow msimn.exefull Internet access through outgoing ports 25 and 465, and incoming ports 110 and 995. If you need assistance with configuring your firewall program, please post a new topic in the E-mail forum and indicate what firewall program you are using and also mention the Outlook Express error message you see.

2. Enable SSL for the incoming (POP3) or outgoing (SMTP) mail server (this is indicated in the error message you get). To enable SSL for incoming (POP3) server, open Tools->Accounts, double-click on the Comcast email account, click on the Advanced tab, place a check in the This server requires a secure connection(SSL) under the Incoming Mail section. To enable SSL for outgoing (SMTP) server, open Tools->Accounts, double-click the Comcast email account, click on the Servers tab, place a check in My server requires authentication, move to the Advanced tab, place a check in This server requires a secure connection(SSL) under the Outgoing Mail section, change the 25 in the field above this to 465.

Post 11 here:http://forums.comcast.com/t5/E-Mail-and-Xfinity-Connect-Help/email-clients-Smartzone-HOW-TO/m-p/6985...

Check your firewall settings.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Bronze Problem Solver

petras2131 wrote:

All 3 addresses failed.

I see you marked your problem solved. Would you mind sharing what you found and what you did to fix it?

Contributor

Sorry, I actually clicked the solution button by mistake.  I'll check my Norton settings next or try a different AV. I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks for your help. 

Bronze Problem Solver

petras2131 wrote:

Sorry, I actually clicked the solution button by mistake.  I'll check my Norton settings next or try a different AV. I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks for your help. 

Letting us know how things work out would be appreciated, thanks! It's a stumper. You haven't been swapping a router in and out, have you? They can behave very strangely sometimes, and, if you are, the modem needs to be power-cycled each time after changing the device it's connected to. If you have phone service from Comcast the modem has a battery and you need to press the little recessed button on the back to reset it. I don't know much about AV programs but I've read that they can be very stubborn... stubborn to the point where they have to be uninstalled to stop mucking things up.

Contributor

There are a lot of complaints about the Norton Security Suite so maybe that is it...the modem also is a definite possibility. I did try and reboot it but that didn't make a difference.   I don't know much about either of them, so I'm sure after mucking around a bit I'll be back looking for suggestions.  Thanks.

Email Expert
CCCarole

Just a thought, and probably off track Steve- But is there any possibility that this could involve the headers getting corrupted or something like that when sending out?

CC

Bronze Problem Solver

CCCarole wrote:

Just a thought, and probably off track Steve- But is there any possibility that this could involve the headers getting corrupted or something like that when sending out?

CC

No chance. I don't really see that ever happening and it's not consistent with the OE error message, but the clincher is that he can't telnet out on port 587. That has nothing to do with OE. Plus, he said OE was working on port 25.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

Steve, since you know more than I do, would be worth a try to turn off the Norton firewall and enable the Windows firewall then see if the mail will send?

The only way I can see to find out if it is the firewall is to NOT have one enabled for a couple of minutes while trying to send with OE, but since it is NOT a good idea to have no firewall that option is out.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Email Expert
CCCarole

steve-baker wrote:

CCCarole wrote:

CC

No chance. I don't really see that ever happening and it's not consistent with the OE error message, but the clincher is that he can't telnet out on port 587. That has nothing to do with OE. Plus, he said OE was working on port 25.

Steve, Thanks for the reply. 

CC

Bronze Problem Solver

I meant to reply earlier, but it slipped my mind.
Queen-Evie wrote:

Steve, since you know more than I do, would be worth a try to turn off the Norton firewall and enable the Windows firewall then see if the mail will send?

Yeah, I'd try that, and then turning off everything in Norton, and then uninstalling it if no joy.

The only way I can see to find out if it is the firewall is to NOT have one enabled for a couple of minutes while trying to send with OE, but since it is NOT a good idea to have no firewall that option is out.

I wouldn't think Windows firewall would be the problem. I think it only works on incoming, anyway, but you never know. In general the value of a personal firewall is highly overrated, but I see that Vista opens up a handful of ports (49152 - 49157) that are accessible from the Internet and I can't figure out what the story is from Googling. So I guess I'll stop short of recommending turning off Windows firewall even though it's something I'd try myself.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

Thank you for the reply Steve.

New Visitor

When I try to send from outlook express it fails to send. I can receive mail. What do I do.

New Visitor
R_B9999

I had the same problem and found the following helpful: Outlook Express basic repair kit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2398839

New Visitor
Stitcher25

We are unable to send emails from either our desk or laptop computers.  We can send from the IPhone.  We receive a message of sockett error.10060.  Have you changes something on your end?

Email Expert
CCCarole

What are you using for email? XfinityConnect, and /or an email client ? If an email client, which one and which version?

Which browser/version?
Have you cleared your browser cache?

CC

New Visitor
BaldCane7

cannot send out email, because they have errors

Email Expert
CCCarole

BaldCane7 wrote:

cannot send out email, because they have errors

OK- what are you using for email?  Outlook Express. XfinityConnect?  BE SPECIFIC, including which version please.

If you are using Outlook Express:

Copy/paste the entire error message you are getting in your reply please.

Once we know more we can help you.

CC

Visitor

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail.comcast.net', Server: 'stmp.comcast.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

Email Expert
CCCarole

[ Edited ]
The problem is you are Port 25 for SMTP and that Port is no loner allowed by Comcast.

Click on this link, read it, and then click on the blue link for full directions for Outlook Express.

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/E-Mail-and-Xfinity-Connect-Help/Port-Change-Notification/m-p/1470331#U1...

CC

New Visitor

Thank you CCCarole.  Problem solved!

Email Expert
CCCarole

Moe,

You are very welcome! :smileygrin:

Carole