Visitor
Accepted Solution

Cannot just open a Microsoft Word attachment - must download it first. Why?

Used to be I could click on an attachment in an email and open it with the appropriate program. Now I am forced to save the item (to my hard drive or whatever) first, then open it. Can I change a setting somewhere so that this is not necessary?

Email Expert
CCCarole

Re: Cannot just open a Microsoft Word attachment - must download it first. Why?

annetheresa wrote:

Used to be I could click on an attachment in an email and open it with the appropriate program. Now I am forced to save the item (to my hard drive or whatever) first, then open it. Can I change a setting somewhere so that this is not necessary?

What error are you gettting (if any) when trying to open the attachment?

Look in Control Panel> Folder Options> File Types to see what is showing there as the default program used to open these type of files.  I assume they are .doc files?

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Visitor

I don't get any error message; when I right-click and choose "open in a new tab" my computer opens a dialog box entitled "enter name of file to save to." ( I am using Mozilla Firefox as my browser) I don't see an option to simply open the file without first saving it. Is this a browser issue? If so, why would it just start happening?

Email Expert
CCCarole

Do you see the name of the attachment in the email, followed by 'Download" or Remove?  (see sample below)

attachment link.jpg

If yes you see the file name, what happens if you click on the name of the attachment?  (NOT right-click, just click on the file name)Does another window open?  it could also be a setting in FF.  Under Tools> Applications, can you locate Microsoft Word in the Content Type?  Next to Word, there should be a drop-down box with choices to always ask before opening, to save the file, etc.

What do you see?

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)

Visitor

Yes, I do see the options of "Download" and "Remove" as in your example. When I click on "Download" a pop-up window opens with that dialog box i mentioned (the one that only permits me to save the doc, not open it directly)....

OK, it was a browser issue. I just followed your directions in Firefox: (Tools - Options - Applications - [scroll down to] Microsoft Word). It was set to "Save File" rather than "Open with Microsoft Word." I made the change to "Open..." and now all is well.

Thanks so much. How this setting got changed originally is beyond me. I do appreciate your help solving the problem.

Email Expert
CCCarole

It might have been a glitch in the latest upgrade FF made, (FF 4.1) OR you may never know what happened.  Glad it worked out for you in any case! :smileygrin:

CC

Visitor

I also Cannot just open a Microsoft Word attachment - must download it first then open it.

I use OpenOffice Writer, Internet Explorer 9, Xfinity Connect (full), no email client, MS Windows-7 Pro 64-bit PC.  I do not use FireFox.

Email Expert
CCCarole

guysyl wrote:

I also Cannot just open a Microsoft Word attachment - must download it first then open it.

I use OpenOffice Writer, Internet Explorer 9, Xfinity Connect (full), no email client, MS Windows-7 Pro 64-bit PC.  I do not use FireFox.

What is the file format of the MS attachment? 

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

[ Edited ]

Something else you can do.  Check your pop up blocker, it may be seeing the mail/attachemnt/link as a pop up.

If you are using the Internet Explorer pop up blocker included with Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3
these instructions work with IE6, IE7 and IE8.

Go to Tools at the top of this page.

Internet Options/Privacy tab.

Click on Settings in Pop-up Blocker.

Add the following to the Allow line:

*.mail.comcast.net

Close out Internet Options, see if the  mail/attachemnt/link will open.

If you use a different blocker, just look on the bottom of the page to see if you get a notification that one has been blocked when you click on the message. If you do, you can usually click the notification icon and will be able to allow pop ups from *.mail.comcast.net

Post back with the name of the one you use if you can't figure it out, and someone will help you.

I think I saw something in this forum about ctrl or shift key while clicking on the message would not over-ride a popup blocker.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Visitor

After I submitted my problem to you, I tried another trick:

Selected a typical OO Writer file from My Documents folder and right-clicked on it, then selected Open With and chose OpenOffice from the list. I check the box marked Always use the selected program to open this kind of file. This solved my problem of opening an attached text doc directly without having to download it. Now, all I have to do is click on the email attachment and hit Open or Save in the next window.

Thanks for the advice guys.