Contributor
Accepted Solution

Cannot log onto Incoming Mail server

I have been trying to help out another Comcast user that is having problems accessing her email through Outlook 2003.  Up until this past Monday (3/28/2011) everything was working properly (I did the initial setup for her).  Suddenly she could not receive incoming through Outlook 2003 but she is able to log into Smartzone and send an receive without an issue.  These are the settings that were working until recently:

Incoming mail server: mail.comcast.net  port 110 (no SSL required)

Outgoing mail server: smtp.comcast.net  port 25 (no SSL required)

She called and I went to check thinking that the configuration was off.  Thinking that maybe port 25 was blocked on her system I set up the following configuration (which is what I use with Outlook 2003 and it works fine):

Incoming mail server: mail.comcast.net  port 995 (SSL required)

Outgoing mail server: smtp.comcast.net   port 465 (SSL required)

This is not working for her either.  When doing the 'Test Account' option (I know it doesn't work sometimes) five of the six test pass with the lone exception being 'Log on to incoming mail server'. Eventually it times out with a userid/password mismatch.  I reset her password in Outlook to match the one she uses to log into Smartzone with the same results.  I even removed the 'Remember password' option and manually typed in the password with the same result.  I just find it baffling that this just happened as there were no changes to her system.  Any suggestions?  I've set these up many, many times so I know what I am doing.  Any suggestions?    Thanks in advance!

Email Expert
CCCarole

Re: Cannot log onto Incoming Mail server

Does she possibly have more than one Profile set in Outlook?  I am sure you have checked already, but make sure that SPA is not enabled in the settings too. Not too long ago a MS Update came through that enabled SPA. If I remember correctly tho, another patch corrected it.  I use the same settings that you posted.  You can try using port 587 for smtp and 110 for pop.

Here are the recomended settings too: LINK

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Contributor

Carole,

Thanks for the prompt reply.  Yes I did check to make sure that she only had one profile and SPA was not enabled.  I'm glad you mentioned the options for ports 587 and 110 as I tried those as well and still nothing.  She's not dead in the water as she can access her mail on the web via Smartzone but it's frustrating for her not to be able to use Outlook since that is where all of her mail is located.  One other thing that I failed to mention: when I did the 'Test Account' option, the test email that Outlook generates DOES show up in the Inbox in Smartzone but Outlook is unable to log in and retrieve the messages.  I'll look a little more and see what I can find.  Is it possible that her .pst file may be corrupt?  I did not try the detect and repair feature as I was hoping that it was only an issue with the port settings.  Thanks.

Email Expert
CCCarole

[ Edited ]

Nighthawk wrote:

Carole,

Thanks for the prompt reply.  Yes I did check to make sure that she only had one profile and SPA was not enabled.  I'm glad you mentioned the options for ports 587 and 110 as I tried those as well and still nothing.  She's not dead in the water as she can access her mail on the web via Smartzone but it's frustrating for her not to be able to use Outlook since that is where all of her mail is located.  One other thing that I failed to mention: when I did the 'Test Account' option, the test email that Outlook generates DOES show up in the Inbox in Smartzone but Outlook is unable to log in and retrieve the messages.  I'll look a little more and see what I can find.  Is it possible that her .pst file may be corrupt?  I did not try the detect and repair feature as I was hoping that it was only an issue with the port settings.  Thanks.

As you already mentioned, I've never felt the Test Account to be very reliable.

It is possible that the .pst file is corrupted.  Do you know if she has compacted the Personal Folders?

Have you considered creating another new Profile, and tested that Profile to see if it works? I wouldn't want to suggest that you uninstall the current Profile, but maybe see what happens if you create another one & test with it? 

CC

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)

Contributor

Hi CC,

Sorry I have been away from the forum for a while.  I had a few other clients that I had to take care of since they were work stoppages.  This one is not a work stoppage but I need to resolve it.  I have not been over to check on her system since my last post but plan to do that sometime this evening.  I will check to see if her .pst file may have become corrupt.  If not I will try and create a new profile to see if that resolves the issue.  Obviously I will back up her .pst file to her external HD before doing anything.  I will let you know what happens.  Thanks again for all of your assistance.

Email Expert
CCCarole

Thanks for the update Nighthawk.  Please do post the results when you have a chance.

CC

Contributor

Hi Carol,

Just to give you an update.  The problem has been resolved.  What I ended up doing was resetting the Comcast password and setting it in Outlook.  Ran all the tests and everything passed.  All of the mail on the Comcast servers have now been transferred to her local Outlook.pst file.  Thanks again for all of your assistance and patience.

Andre

New Visitor
kgrizzaffi

This solution also worked for me. My email was working fine (I use Outlook 2003) and from out of nowhere I could not receive messages. It was apparent I could not logon to the incoming mail server. I went to Comcast and reset my email password. I then removed my profile in Outlook and created a new one, using the new Comcast password. I had to do a little work getting my Outlook back where it was (transferring information from my previous Office data file to the new one) but at least everything is working now. I should have tried the password reset first then simply editing my existing Outlook profile with the new password. This may have prevented me from having to set up a new profile in Outlook, saving some time and effort.