Bronze Star Contributor

Comcast Email Not Always Accessible, via Laptops or Smartphone

I have noticed this problem for about 2 1/2 weeks now.

On my 2 laptops, 1 at work and 1 at home, I sporadically (although more and more often lately) have trouble connecting to xfininty connect smartzone to read my email. 

I have received several types of errors and messages.  I have received comcast messages on web pages such as:

"Server is slow to respond"

"Comcast.net email and voice mail is currently unavailable...Our engineers are aware of the issue and are working on it..."

"The connection has timed out.  The server at online.comcast.net is taking too long to respond"

I have also have received more error like window pop-up messages, such as: 

"Network appears to be slow.

A network service error has occurred.

method: SearchRequest

msg: A network service error has occurred

code: CSFE_SVC_ERROR

detail: HTTP response status 504

Trying to access comcast.net/zimbra/mail today I received "404 not found - nginx"

Also had a new Xfinity Connect error message today "The attribute 'data-lightbox-url' on this element is not defined in the DTD/Schema."

I was unable to access the comcast outage web page today as well, as that connection timed out.

I use the full email version, but have tried the lite version and also have sporadic issues accessing my email through lite version.

I usually use Firefox browser, but can duplicate many of these issues using IE.

I have tried cyclying down modem/router/laptop and no luck.

I have no issue accessing any other websites that I am aware of.

I also have sporadic issues when trying to access my comcast email on my smartphone.  The issues occur when using ether the xfinity connect app or when accessing the comcast email mobile website.

This is very frustrating, and sounds to be an issue on the Comcast side.

Please advise how I can resolve these issues.

Thank You

Silver Problem Solver
reasd

Re: Comcast Email Not Always Accessible, via Laptops or Smartphone

Hello,

You can give the link a try.

http://m.comcast.net/m/

Email Expert
CCCarole

Sermo-

I have asked a Comcast Moderator to read your post and reply.

CC

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Bronze Star Contributor

Thank you CCCarole.

Bronze Star Contributor

Thanks reasd.  I will add this link to my future attempts when having these issues!

New Visitor

[ Edited ]

I am having identical problem, both on wired PC using IE or Firefox and laptops on a wireless network, which otherwise seems to work perfectly.  Iphone is not picking up comcast mail normally as well.  Most often get "comcast email and voicemail is currently unavailable," but have received all other messages below in last 2 weeks as well, most recently "data-light box on this element is not defined in the DTD schema." 

Called Comcast helpline and they forwarded me to concierge service where a woman from Bangladesh tried to sell me an email help package for $35 for the first call and $5 a month.  I'm afraid I lost it.

Was able to access email on the workaround suggested by reasd, but can find no response to this query.  Is there a response somewhere, or is someone somewhere working on it?  Thanks!

Bronze Star Contributor

Issues still exist for me as well.

New Visitor

Other less specific threads on email issues seem to point to incompatibilities between Zimbra and browser updates.  Is this your thinking?  I've cleared the cache etc, but any other ideas?  I'm using IE8 and Windows XP on the PC, nothing new there; laptops are Windows 8 and new everything; Iphone is same one that's been working fine with Xfinity up to now.  Don't get it.  I don't want to think they've thrown a glitch in to force subscription to the concierge helpdesk for email.  Surely not...  the woman said they could fix my problem in 5 minutes.  Hmmm.

Bronze Star Contributor

The fact that I typically have connection problems at the same time on my droid when I incur the issues on my laptops (windpows xp, IE7 and latest fireofx on one laptop, and windows 7, IE9, latest firefox on the other home laptop) tells me its not browser related (or it's more than broswer related).  Also have these sporadic problems whether using wifi or wired, and whether using wifi or cellular on my phone.

Its odd, as I usually can access several emaisl, then the errors start.  I wait a while and i can access again.  It's like the pipeline is getting backed up.

New Visitor
bettyalice

We are having a similar problem, using Windows 7, Google Chrome or IE (both have shown problems).  Not using any e-mail client - directly viewing from Comcast site.  The address box shows:

http://web.mail.comcast.net/zimbra/mail?app=mail

The response shows:

In blue header, XFINITY Connect

Followed by an exclamation mark in a red triangle and a network service error has occurred

method: SearchRequest

msg:      A network service error has occurred.

code:     CSFE_SVC_ERROR

detail:    HTTP response status 502

followed by a choice of Send error report, hide details and OK.

I don't understand why Comcast is not responding to these posts.  Previously I received a pop-up window that claimed Comcast Engineers were aware of the problem and the provided link would lead to outage information.  What is going on?

Bronze Star Contributor

A technician ultimately did reach out to me, and they said they performed some maintenance on my server, and since I have not received any errors.  It's only been a few days, so still in testing phase!

Visitor

Constantly getting the Slow Server message trying to open or send email on multiple machines running XP, Vista and Win-7. 

Error pop up box:

Xfinity Connect - The attribute 'data-lightbox-url' on this element is not defined in the DTD/Schema. - Send Error Report

New Visitor
bettyalice

I phoned this in again and expressed my concern that I could not get to my e-mail.  We went through the questions again, and I expressed my concern that I was paying for a service that I was not getting.  I was told that I was not paying for e-mail, but for Internet access... hmmm.  But the customer service representative said she would put in a trouble ticket.  I'm not sure what was changed, but it's now day 3 and I can still access my e-mail.  Yay!

New Visitor

My issues seem to have subsided for now.  Maybe Comcast is reading our posts?  Thanks, everyone, and good luck.

Visitor

Yes, my email is suddenly working properly again as well.  Thanks to you who actually called and fought the system.  I get tired of having to deal with first tier tech support, and upselling services for trouble that should be pro-actively sorted out before I'm even aware of a problem.  Comcast internet has historically been very good, but at $90/month it should be.  I only subscribe to internet service, nothing more.

New Visitor
macmvilla

I am unable to find this lite or full setting on my iPad. I don't have those options. I would like to have my e-mail back to original format and not use zimbra
Email Expert
CCCarole

macmvilla wrote:
I am unable to find this lite or full setting on my iPad. I don't have those options. I would like to have my e-mail back to original format and not use zimbra

IPad uses Lite.  To check which version of XfinityConnect you are using on your PC:

Open XfinityConnect

Click on Preferences from the Preview window

Click on the General icon

A window comes up showing which version you are using.

Are you using the Xfinity Mobile APP on your iPad or are you using the native app?  I use the native app on my iPad3.

CC

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)

New Visitor
macmvilla

When you say go to XfinityConnect do I just go to www.comcast.net. And signi then go to xfinity connect at bottom of page? I did that and selected Prefernces then general and it showed me a time zone under that setting. Could you send a link to the page you are referring to?
Email Expert
CCCarole

macmvilla wrote:
When you say go to XfinityConnect do I just go to www.comcast.net. And signi then go to xfinity connect at bottom of page? I did that and selected Prefernces then general and it showed me a time zone under that setting. Could you send a link to the page you are referring to?

1- Go to the Comcast homepage On the top right side, click on Sign in
2- Sign in here:

Sign in box.JPG

3- on the left side of the page, click on Email:

Email icon.JPG

4- Now you are in the XfinityConnect Preview window:  Click on Preferences on the black bar

Black bar.JPG

5-  NOW click on the General icon

A window will open showing you which versioof XfiityConnect you are currently using.

6- To switch to LITE (IF using the Full version) click on EDIT and check the circle for Lite

7-  Now click on Home

Following these steps as shown should switch you over to the Lite version.

CC

Contributor

Same problem here. Wireless laptop is slow speed. The advice you gave was of no help. You said you would escalate it to a moderator HOWEVER no reply ?????????

There are hundreds of complaints about not accessing Email. That is due to the slow speed problem.

Once Comcast sent me a refresh the wired computer is fast using speedtest.comcast.net to check speeds. However, the laptop loses it's speed the further away from my router.

ComcAST service is VERY POOR!

Service Expert
Again

Anon443946 wrote:

Same problem here. Wireless laptop is slow speed. The advice you gave was of no help. You said you would escalate it to a moderator HOWEVER no reply ?????????

There are hundreds of complaints about not accessing Email. That is due to the slow speed problem.

Once Comcast sent me a refresh the wired computer is fast using speedtest.comcast.net to check speeds. However, the laptop loses it's speed the further away from my router.

ComcAST service is VERY POOR!

Anon, CCCarole probably did notify an administrator of the problem that Shermo was having - in JULY.  Are you Shermo_6?  If not, this is your first post in this thread, so how would anyone know you're having the "Same problem here."?

As far the "hundreds of complaints about not accessing Email", Comcast IS aware of the complaints and the problems that turned up when they rolled out an update to webmail a couple of weeks ago, and they are working on resolving the problems as quickly as they can.

"When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be."
--- Lao Tzu ---
"Life is not linear. It's all a circle. Our dust becomes the firmament on which the future walks."
--- © James Scott 2014 ---