New Visitor
kwhiteman1

Comcast Mail Server Issues today?

Hi everyone,

Has anyone else experienced email issues/outages today? Wondering if the Comcast Mail Servers are having issues today. I'm located in Connecticut. I can receive emails with no problem, but I can not send any emails. Each time I try to send a message I receive this error -Sending ' reported error (0x800CCC78) : 'Unable to send the message. Please verify the email address in your account properties. The server responded: 550 5.1.0 Authentication required'

I double checked my email settings and all appear to be set up fine. I can send email with no problem from my iPhone which further makes this complicated.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all.

Email Expert
CCCarole

Re: Comcast Mail Server Issues today?

kwhiteman1 wrote:

Hi everyone,

Has anyone else experienced email issues/outages today? Wondering if the Comcast Mail Servers are having issues today. I'm located in Connecticut. I can receive emails with no problem, but I can not send any emails. Each time I try to send a message I receive this error -Sending ' reported error (0x800CCC78) : 'Unable to send the message. Please verify the email address in your account properties. The server responded: 550 5.1.0 Authentication required'

I double checked my email settings and all appear to be set up fine. I can send email with no problem from my iPhone which further makes this complicated.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all.

What email client do you use? Please recheck your email settings.  Do you have 'this server requires authentication' ticked?  Which prt are you using for smtp, and do you have SSL on?

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Visitor

I am having this exact same issue.  Except that I have two email addresses and one works the other doesn't with the exact same settings.  I'm using Windows live mail via windows 7. The settings have not been changed, I've been using them for over a year.  Settings:

incoming mail: mail.comcast.net

outgoing mail: smtp.comcast.net

username and password set to remember and are correct (i am still receiving mail)

logon using clear text authentication is ticked

My server requires authentication is ticked

settings under this has use same settings as my incoming mail server checked

outgoing mail server is set to 25

ssl is NOT ticked

incoming mail server is set to 110

ssl is NOT ticked

These same settings are working for one of my comcast email addresses and I am able to send and receive.  The other one only receives and I get the same error as the original poster. 

Email Expert
CCCarole

Try changing your WLM settings for both email addresses to match those shown in this clickable link.

You may have a block on port 25, which would prevent it from allowing messages to be sent.

If that doesn't solve the problem, please post back with the complete error message you get.

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)

Visitor

I didn't change anything and it started working this morning. :smileyconfused:  Not sure what was going on last night.  Hope the original poster is able to send now too. :smileygrin:

New Visitor
CMontee

i have been having issue since last night. there DNS servers are dropping packets and the incoming and outgoing mail servers time out or says Destination net unreachable. Outlook errors when chencking mail. Webmail works fine however...   

Visitor
chulai

I had to re-set my password. Now all is well.

Frequent Visitor

I was also having e-mail issues.  Once I changed my password, all is well again.  Not sure what or who changed my password.  Comcast told me that there was a server upgrade but would not say that it effected my login to the server.  It effected all of my apple and windows decices.  Comcast wanted me to contact apple and microsoft to tell me how to set up my e-mail accounts.  Really!

New Visitor
ImJustJoe

I have my own email for my website, but since comcast is my intertnet provider I have to use their smtp outgoing server, and all of the sudden Outlook 2003 will not send ANYTHING, and there have been no changes, nothing. WTH????????????????????????????????????? I have work to do and this won't do. Anyone have an issue like this??

If comcast decided to change something, you'd at least think they would have someocommon courtesy to notify their customers.

Email Expert
JR071702

ImJustJoe wrote:

I have my own email for my website, but since comcast is my intertnet provider I have to use their smtp outgoing server, and all of the sudden Outlook 2003 will not send ANYTHING, and there have been no changes, nothing. WTH????????????????????????????????????? I have work to do and this won't do. Anyone have an issue like this??

If comcast decided to change something, you'd at least think they would have someocommon courtesy to notify their customers.

Please refer to the e-mail client settings detailed in this post and adjust your settings as necessary. Please make sure that you follow all of the steps for your particular e-mail client.

JR

New Visitor

I am in Washington State and have had numberous email problems today.  Tried Comcast Chat with no luck, sent Email, no response, error messages keep coming up with various email functions.

Frustrated

Email Expert
CCCarole

tlhiatt wrote:

I am in Washington State and have had numberous email problems today.  Tried Comcast Chat with no luck, sent Email, no response, error messages keep coming up with various email functions.

Frustrated

Please copy and paste the entire error messages you are receiving.

What are you using for email?  XfinityConnect ( full or lite version) an email client (Windows Mail, Outlook, etc.)

Which browser/version do you use.

Have you cleared your browser cache?

New Visitor
kdc112

I like how Comcast does a server upgrade and then all of a sudden a lot of people cannot access their email, yet there is no explanation or communication about it.  So the mode of operation is just continue to make changes no matter how it effects the customer and then just wait until people complain?

I haven't been able to receive emails on my Droid or on my home computer (Outlook) for 2 days.  I haven't changed a thing in months, but all of a sudden I get "invalid username / password" error.  I went onto the Comcast site and updated my password, entered it into my Droid and into Outlook and I still get the same error.  

This great service obviously justifies the 5% increase in fees this month.

When I move this summer, I will never give Comcast another penny of my money.  The horrible service issues I have had with Comcast over the last 8 years while they have a monopoly in my neighborhood has been ridiculous.  All that for $63/month just for internet.  Pathetic.

Visitor

I just got off the phone with business class services after waiting on hold for 20 minutes.  Apparently the entire email server is down across the US.  I got the standard "our engineers are aware of the problem and are working on it" answer.  VERY frustrating.

Visitor

I never had a problem until Comcast updated their Norton Security to be tighter.  I uninstalled Norton and went with a different anti-virus, get email and computer is now a lot faster.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

Disccussion of this issue should be kept in this thread

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/E-Mail-and-Xfinity-Connect-Help/Comcast-email-down/td-p/1163131

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.