New Visitor
UserJohn
Accepted Solution

Comcast WebMail and Windows 8 / IE 10 not working

I can get to the preview page fine (http://xfinityconnect.mail.comcast.net/)

However, when I try to open up an e-mail or if I try to "View Entire Inbox", what I suspect is silverlight based on the animation of the chasing blue circles, the balls just spins indefinately.

If I go to a test silverlight page (http://www.bubblemark.com/), I get to the silverlight 1.1, 2.0, and 3.0 tests just fine.

Not sure what testing you have done yet with Windows 8 / IE 10.

Thanks.

Visitor
gloessberg

Re: Comcast WebMail and Windows 8 / IE 10 not working

I am having the same problem. I have talked to three different Comcast techs and they have tried resetting my e-mail server, resetting my modem, ect. I even changed out my modem to the newest type with faster download service and it still didn't correct the problem. I don't understand why Comcast can't get this issue corrected. I know lot of people who is having the same problems using Comcast e-mail server. One Comcast tech. told me that Comcast was having problems for several weeks and that they was trying to find and correct the cause. This problem is on both  my lap top and desk topCOMCAST WE NEED YOUR HELP OR AT LEAST GIVE US A ANSWER TO THE PROBLEM, OR ELSE I MAY CHANGE SERVERS.

GEORGE.

Email Expert
CCCarole

There is an ongoing issue for many customers unable to access the Inbox.  Comcast is aware of this, but so far no fixes have been made.  It happens across various operating systems and browsers.

Suggestions made that you can try include:

Clear browser cache

Reset your browser to the default settings

Try a different browser

If using the Full. Erosion of XfinityConnect, switch to the Lite version.  To do:  Open XC, click on Preferences>General and tick the box to switch to Lite.  Close and re-open XC and you should be in Lite.

Can you access email in Lite?

You could also access email using the very basic m.comcast.net 

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

New Visitor
UserJohn

I can't click on "preferences" to change the settings as it goes into that whole spinning ball issue.

m.comcast.net does work.  A solution until the real issue is fixed for IE 10 support.

I don't have issues with any other machine or version of IE.  Only on my Windows 8 with IE 10 machine is there an issue.

Thanks.

New Visitor
UserJohn

And deleting cache didn't help.

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

Try accessing the Lite version directly: http://web.mail.comcast.net/h/search

New Visitor
UserJohn

using the direct URL for lite, I could get to the inbox fine.

I was also able to change the preferences so that lite is the default.

Also, I built 2 new Win8 machines (1 as 32-bit, the other as 64-bit).

Problem still occurs with the full version on those machines, so it is definately something with Windows 8 / IE 10 and the full version of the webmail since no cache, no add-ins, all defaults, etc.

Contributor
itangel

I've noticed this issue with alot of websites. and accessing certain features on websites.

1. The first thing that you want to check is what version of IE 10 on Windows 8 are you using?
      1. Internet Explorer 10 on Start Screen (formerly Metro IE 10)
        1. Does not support Plugins of any kind.  This includes Microsoft Silverlight, and Adobe Flash.
      2. Internet Explorer 10 Desktop
        1. Does support plugins.  Switch to this for websites using any kind of plugin.
    2. If a website is not working correctly, try using the Compatibility mode.
      1. Compatibility mode again, is only supported in IE 10 Desktop.
      2. You can access compatibility mode in the Address bar or under the VIEW menu Option.
    3. Internet Explorer 10 is still new and alot of websites still use old technology.
    4. Try using another compatible browser on Windows 8, like Google Chrome.  Ive found that some websites that dont work in IE, do work in Google Chrome.
Visitor
gloessberg

When I made this complaint I make a mistake and listed the wrong Windows and Internet explorer that i am using. I am using Windows 7 with Internet Explorer 9. The Comcast e-mail doesn' t load, keeps searching and then states server is slow to respond are not working, then Internet Explore stops working also and has to close. This only happens when trying to use Comcast e-mail program. I can go to windows mail and it works great. Comcast has had this problem for a couple of months and everyone you talk to is having the same problem regardless on both Windows 7 and Windows 8 and happing both on Internet Explorer 9 and 10 versions. Once again as I stated this only happens on Comcast e-mail all other Comcast pages work just fine. I even changed out Comcast modem to the newer one and have increased my internet speed and still having the same problem. Have called several Comcast tech's and they have tried everything including resetting my e-mail account. One tech. statted that they had a problem and haven't found a fix for it yet. With this modern day technology it shouldn't take this long to correct a problem.

Email Expert
CCCarole

Yes, there is a problem and Comcast is aware of it and working on fixes.  In the meantime, I would suggest that you switch to the Lite version of XfinityConnect.  It is based in a different platform then the Full version and appears to be working better.

Other suggestions have included resetting your browser to the default settings (has worked for some Users)

In a pinch, you can use the very,very basic m.comcast.net

CC

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)

New Visitor
gpst

It is something to do with flash latest technology, MS concentrates on its own Silverlight but problem might be on Comcasts side based on cross platform problems.

Having same problem, only way to access is from Playbook but checking once a month due to spamming rich environment - using other mail services instead.

Visitor
thomasdiflorio

It has been Three months and still not a fix to this problem.  I would expect more from a company as big as comcast

Visitor
thomasdiflorio

[ Edited ]

I dont know why Comcast couldnt do this themselves The tech told me to go back to IE 9  this is totally unacceptable from a company such as Comcast

I figured it out myself

Here is the fix..... 

Open internet explorer goto comcast.net

Follow the steps provided below to add the website in compatibility view.

a)    Open ‘Internet Explorer 10 in the desktop.

b)    Press the ‘Alt’ key and click on ‘Tools’.

c)    Click on ‘Compatibility View Settings’ and under ‘Add this website’ and type the web address and click on ‘Add’.

d)    Now try to access the website and check if you’re able to access the mail box.

New Visitor
icywolfy

@UserJohn:  It's just plain cross-browser Javascript and styles; no silverlight or other MS stuff in there looking at the page source with the developer tools.

@others:

IE 10 / Windows 8 has only been out for the general public for less than 2 weeks. 

You can't really expect a company as large as Comcast, that's still actively supporting IE7/XP in their Web Email to be able to cleanly upgrade all the javascript and css and other coding issues in such a manner that won't break it for everyone using IE7 and IE8 (which have -huge- deficiencies that need to be worked around)

I'm sure when Windows 8 becomes more mainstream and more people start upgrading that it'll be fixed.  But as for sites I work with, we have no time to upgrade our sites to work with IE10 yet, and we aren't strating that migration until after the new year, (mainly in case there's some emergency service pack that changes how IE works... which has happened way too ofte nithe past)

I'd say that's one of the pitfalls of upgrading to the latest and greatest.  And the reason I'm not upgrading to Windows 8 until later -- since a lot of websites I use (banking, news, entertainment) don't seem to work on IE10/Windows 8.

Visitor
thomasdiflorio

What about the poor folks that dont have a choice. if you buy a pc or laptop you are getting windows 8. I didn't upgrade I bought a computer with windows 8. And yes I would expect a company as large as Comcast to have had this taken care of well in advance.
Contributor

I was having the same problem. I switch to compatibilty view, (tools, Compatibilty view) and then I was able to view my inbox as normal.

Don

New Visitor
Ctease

Click on settings > F12 Developer Tools.  Click on the Browser Mode:10 menu and select Internet Explorer 8 or 9.  You should have no problems opening the page now.  Try this for any pages that get "stuck" like Comcast email.

New Visitor
mgardner04

had same problem retriving email.downloaded firefox then logged into email account,no problem.

New Visitor

[ Edited ]

You are right, Compatibility mode! i tried this and it fixed it instantly! I can access my email now with no problem!

New Visitor
Cathyaw

Thank you so much Thomas.  It worked!

New Visitor

This ^. Thank you!

New Visitor
auphysic

This fix worked dead on! Thanks!

T

Contributor
stockofftsam

I had a similiar solution.... to click on the compatibility icon at the top of the scren. My Mail started working like a champ.

Contributor

I have windows 7. Just downloaded 7 windows updates including IE10, and a silverlight update. One update for IE9 security failed and I was thinking that was my problem. Same exact problem as you folks. Can get to my E Mail but the blue circle just keeps spinning. Can't get to inbox, address book etc. I have "Chrome" and it works in that .

Both the Xfinity lite (cannot find a direct link though) , and the compatibility mode work however, Thanks! Comcast/Xfinity Does need to fix this! I don't know if it's a silverlight issue, or the failed IE 9 security update issue?

Just a note, some other websites and pages may NOT work in compatibility mode, so be sure to turn it "off" if having an issue elsewhere.

Email Expert
CCCarole

marlene1199 wrote:

I have windows 7. Just downloaded 7 windows updates including IE10, and a silverlight update. One update for IE9 security failed and I was thinking that was my problem. Same exact problem as you folks. Can get to my E Mail but the blue circle just keeps spinning. Can't get to inbox, address book etc. I have "Chrome" and it works in that .

Both the Xfinity lite (cannot find a direct link though) , and the compatibility mode work however, Thanks! Comcast/Xfinity Does need to fix this! I don't know if it's a silverlight issue, or the failed IE 9 security update issue?

Just a note, some other websites and pages may NOT work in compatibility mode, so be sure to turn it "off" if having an issue elsewhere.

Are you able to get to the Preview window in XfinityConnect or not?

If you can, click on Preferences on the black bar in the Preview window.  Then click on the General icobn.  A window will open showing which version you are using.  You can edit there to change to the Lite version if that is what you want to do?

Am I correct that you can get to email in Lite and in Compatibility View in Internet Explorer version 10?

CC

Contributor
stockofftsam

I can get to lite and I can do regular email in compatibility mode in IE 10

Contributor

cccarole , that is correct. I Can get to the preview window. But from there cannot get to any of the options, like inbox, sent mail, or address book. The blue wheel just keeps trying to load but never does.

Thank-you for the Link to get "lite", although I may just stick with using compatibility mode. Both "lite" and compatibility mode work.

I'm using IE7. My computer just did 7 windows updates, including one to IE10, and a silverlight update. It failed on an IE9 security update. I Should have waited on that and not ticked it I guess. The computer showed the updates but 2 were unticked. I ticked them and did them all at the same time. Maybe that has nothing to do with it, as others are having the same problem with the E Mail not loading.

Contributor

Correction: I meant to say I'm using WINDOWS 7 , IE10.

Email Expert
CCCarole

Marlene,

I don't feel the problem is a result of the Updates.  This is an on going issue with email not loading.  XfinityConnect is aware of it and are working on fixes.

Just a little hint for you... I never allow the updates all at one time.  I do them one at a time.  That way, if there IS an issue with one of them you can easily see which one caused the problem.  It takes a bit more time, but to me, it is worth it.

Carole

Contributor

You're right, I probably should do the windows updates one at a time!  Usually I have no problem with them though. I've done up to 14 at one time together! Thanks cccarole, and hope you solve the xfinity E Mail issue.

New Visitor

I'm running Windows 7 with Explorer 10 and was having the same problem when trying to get into the inbox.  I set the site to compatibilty view and it works fine now.  Thank you.

New Visitor
MoosePond

This solution worked great.  Thanks.  Someone should tell Comcast Support about this fix. 

Email Expert
CCCarole

MoosePond wrote:

This solution worked great.  Thanks.  Someone should tell Comcast Support about this fix. 

This issue has been brought to the attention of the XfinityConnect Team already. CC

Regular Contributor

I had the same problems you guys are and called comcast and got the same answer that is does not support IE past version 8 and to put in the web mail thing. It did not work. Nothing worked until I fould this site and only one person had the answer or close to it for me. I logged into email and of course it wouldn't load again so I hit F12 which brings up a menu at the bottom. Then hit tools at the bottom and under tools click on change user agent string and then a side box opens and you need to check version 7 and then refresh your email from the top under view. Mine worked great but I have to do that everytime I go into email.  Comcast needs to fix this problem it's been way to long waiting and as for me I am feed up with such a huge company not being able to for us and we need to be compensated for the problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regular Visitor

You rock.

Regular Contributor

I have no idea why I am getting this just now after months ago of this all happening, as I finally found a real tech that knew what she was doing at Comcast and in 5 mintues had me up and running with Internet Explorer 10 and I also posted it on this site and they said they were going to use it as a solution because it does work. They did post it on the site and gave me the credit for it and I wrote and told them I should not have that credit that it was not me who figured it out but the ONLY good tech at Comcast that knew what she was doing after me calling numerous times with no success.  I also clicked on don't send me these again.  You have people on here that are suppose to be helping people with these problems such as Carol or someone like that and others who don't know what they are doing and just repeat over and over again what people should do and get back to them and what they are telling people do not work.  I sure hope they aren't getting paid to do this as it just waste people's time.  Until I found the perfect tech at Comcast that knew what she was doing, I found my own work around and used it. Now please don't write me again.

Regular Contributor

Go to the solution page and you will see how to fix it there under cregor. Nobody here knows what they are doing that's for sure.

Regular Contributor

Carole you need to look on the solution page and get the right fix under cregor.  I didn't want that credit and told them that as a real tech that knew what she was doing fixed mine in less then 5 minutes after months of calling Comcast and checking on here with no success.  All you do is tell people the same thing over and over and it does not work. I sure hope you don't get paid for wasting people's time.

Regular Contributor

Comcast mail does work in Internet Explorer 10 just go to the the solution pages and look under cregor.

Regular Contributor

You CAN use all the updates and Internet Explorer 10 for Comcast email. It does work. Just go to the solution pages and look under cregor. Stop wasting your time here with these people that are suppose to know what they are doing as they don't.

Regular Contributor

I totally agree about the techs at Comcast not knowing how to fix this for everyone. Just go to the solution pages and look under cregor solution.  I finally after months of calling and calling Comcast and trying to get help here found the ONE tech at Comcast that knew exactly what to do and fixed mine in less then 5 minutes and I have no problems since. Don't waste you time with these people on here. They don't know.

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

cregor wrote: ... you need to look on the solution page and get the right fix under cregor. ...

What "solution page"? What "right fix"? What are you talking about?

Regular Contributor

Bruce just scroll to top of page and look at John and under his post it says solution page. Just click on that. Then look for solution Cregor. 

Regular Contributor

You don't need to use lite. You can use it just as before and in Internet Explorer 10 just look under the solution page.

Regular Contributor

Here you go Bruce hope this helps.

If you are unable to open email in XfinityConnect, please try this:

Clear your browser cache of temporary internet files and cookies.

Windows Updates released Internet Explorer Version 10 recently.

Microsoft has added Comcast.net as one of the domains for Compatibility view, so IE10 should automatically switch to Compatibility mode when using the Xfinity website.

If you still cannot access your email, and have updated to Version 10 to use as your browser:

Make sure to Compatibility View in IE Ver. 10 under Tools is enabled.

UPDATE: Comcast user Cregor has fixed his problem by resetting Internet Explorer to default:

1) Make sure you are in Xfinity Connect Full version (in Preferences page, set to full ver)

2) Click on "gear" wheel on top right corner of browser and go to Internet Options

3) Go to Advance tab and click on the Reset button on the very bottom of page

4) Another window should pop up, make sure the "Delete personal settings" is NOT checked and click Reset.

5) once it is complete, you have to close your browser and then re-open and try accessing Email again.

New Visitor
mgardner04

Problem seems to be with Windows 8 Pro upgrade.My desk top has upgrade and I can't get past view entire inbox.My laptop has just windows 8 and have no problem retriving e-mail.

New Visitor

I can get into comcast email, but my left side of the screen (Inbox + folders) does not appear and I cannot empty trash etc.  However, Google Chrome does display the folders but is entirely slow when compared with IE.  This problem just started this month.  I called comcast and they told me it was IE's problem. So much for customer service.  HELP

Email Expert
CCCarole

edmondd0513 wrote:

I can get into comcast email, but my left side of the screen (Inbox + folders) does not appear and I cannot empty trash etc.  However, Google Chrome does display the folders but is entirely slow when compared with IE.  This problem just started this month.  I called comcast and they told me it was IE's problem. So much for customer service.  HELP

Are you using the Full or Lite version of XfinityConnect?  To check:

Open XfinityConnect, click on Preferences, and then click on General.  A window will open showing you which version is checked. 

On the left side, do you see any Folders?  If not, click on the small black arrow to the left of the word 'Mailboxes".  If closed, that will open them.  Let us know if this solved your problem or not.

CC

XX 1.JPG

Regular Contributor

Why are you writing me? My problem was solved long ago with the one good tech at Comcast I finally got on the phone after no one helping here or other techs on the phone at Comcast. I even wrote what the tech told me to do and had it posted here as a solution. You can find it under cregor solution.  Little behind on helping aren't you.

Email Expert
CCCarole

cregor wrote:

Why are you writing me? My problem was solved long ago with the one good tech at Comcast I finally got on the phone after no one helping here or other techs on the phone at Comcast. I even wrote what the tech told me to do and had it posted here as a solution. You can find it under cregor solution.  Little behind on helping aren't you.

If you are getting an email notifications of new posts to this Thread, it is because you are still subscribed to it.  To inscribe to the Thread click on either Topic Options/ unsubscribe at the top of the Thread.

CC