New Visitor
golfnut_rlv

Comcast email, Android error: Cannot safely access server

Hey everyone, I can't get my android phone to receive my comcast email. Has worked fine for the last two weeks, until Friday.

Gives me the error, "Cannot safely connect to server".

This happens on both my comcast email accounts. It also occurs when I am connected to my home network, as well as through my Verizon 4G connection.

I have double checked the account settings on my phone, everything is in order.

Help please?

New Visitor
bubbasamdog

Re: Comcast email, Android error: Cannot safely access server

Same problem here with both android email and K-9 email.  I even reinstalled k-9 to see if it was a problem with the app. The reinstall deleted a years worth of "sent" emails that were stored in the app!  I later found that the stock email didn't work either.

Sounds like a comcast problem.

Tom

New Visitor
seanbarry

Same here. Worked on my Galaxy S through vzw for months, then problems started late last week. Has managed to connect once or twice this weekend, but for the most part, no luck. My guess is a cert changed but I don't know.
New Visitor

I fixed it by going to account settings, incoming settings, changing encryption from SSL to none.

New Visitor

[ Edited ]

We have had two Droid X phones for several months.  We also have two Comcast email accounts that we've had for years.  Until recently, there have been no problems. 

Over the past few days. We have been getting an "Invalid Server Certificate" error on both phones.  The problem is intermittent -- I was able to get email earlier today, but neither phone can get there as I write this. 

We are able to get to our comcast email via the internet with no problems

Quite frustrating.

Contributor
worldtrvlr

ccgeo wrote:

We have had two Droid X phones for several months.  We also have two Comcast email accounts that we've had for years.  Until recently, there have been no problems. 

Over the past few days. We have been getting an "Invalid Server Certificate" error on both phones.  The problem is intermittent -- I was able to get email earlier today, but neither phone can get there as I write this. 

We are able to get to our comcast email via the internet with no problems

Quite frustrating.

I've been getting my Comcast e-mail on an Android device for the last couple of yers, most recently on a T-Mobile MyTouch 4G for the last year.  Starting yesterday, i began getting the invalid certificate error also.  I thought maybe an application was causing the problem, so I performed a master reset on the device.  I got the same error again when trying to set up my e-mail again (only Comcast).  I called Comcast Tech Support and was told there was no problem on their end and that I needed to call my carrier.  i advised them that I work for the carrier, in Tech Support, and that it is not a carrier issue that causes invalid certificate errors.  they told me if my e-mail works on my computer, there is not a problem.  I then told them that I use comcast.net to access my e-mail on a computer, so the website might be working, but something on the back end that works with mobile devices is not.  I asked if they couldn't file a trouble ticket and was told they cannot.  At that point I decided to escalate to a supervisor.  After waiting on hold for over 5 minutes, I finally got a supervisor who said that he would report it to advanced engineering, but that he could not give me a trouble ticket number.  He did at least call me back about 10 minutes later and left me a message that he had called engineering and told them about it and they will track it for other users who report the same problem.  I don't trust that they will really do anything about it, but hopefully they'll prove me wrong.

New Visitor
moralesfore

Thanks for doing the leg work on this issue. I too am getting the same error message from my android.  I had been accessing my Comcast email through the phone email.  I began getting this error on Friday.

Anyway, I was forced to download Comcast's Xfinity mobile app to access my email.  I previously had this app on my droid, but got rid of it because it had too many problems.  I guess I will keep the app until they fix the error. Maybe this is part of Comcast's plan.  At least now I can get my email.

Contributor
worldtrvlr

So, I finally got a helpful, friendly rep at Comcast, named James.  He told me that there were some changes and this started about a week ago.  Apparently auto setup of the e-mail sets up different ports and security settings than what should be used.  He walked me through making some changes to the e-mail ports on my phone and the e-mail is now working without the errors.

Pop Server: mail.comcast.net

Security Type: None

Server Port:110

SMTP Server: smtp.comcast.net
Security Type: None

Server Port: 25

I hope this helps you as much as it did me.

New Visitor
golfnut_rlv

Thanks for the info everyone. Talked with comcast support. They had me change the server ports, and the security setting to tls. Works fine now.
New Visitor
bubbasamdog

This basically turns off SSL security, which was working previously on my phone.  Did they give any explanation as to why they don't support this any more?

Thanks.

Contributor

Why would you want to set the security level to None on your phone and use unsecure ports?

Comcast has had this issue in the past which I found by searching the forum. If it's the same fix, they need to validate the security certificates for their servers. Also, there is a current post addressing this issue here in which a Comcast employee has said they are aware of the problem and working on a fix.

New Visitor

Works perfectly now. Thanks!

New Visitor
melisathp

I have been on the phone with Comcast now for over 20 minutes.  The gal on the phone cannot find any indication that Comcast is working on this issue. She has been great in trying to figure this out.  (Given she has an Android phone and she wants the information for herself too.)

I spent half my day yesterday on this issue.  Comcast kept telling me that it was Verizon's problem, but I can get Gmail just fine on my phone and Verizon did not see anything wrong.  I am not convinced Comcast is doing anything about this, but they are making a lot of people very unhappy.  There are comments all over the internet.  For the amount of money I pay every month, they could make sure this is working properly.  They better not charge me for these calls.

Update - she did find out that it is a known issue, but she does not see any resolution.  The least Comcast could do is give their customer service people immediate and up to date information.  So frustrating.

Visitor

Thanks so much that did it for me.  As soon as I change the ports all my emails downloaded.  I am happy.

New Visitor
chrbla821

I fixed it by removing the account and then adding it again.