New Visitor

Comcast email account sending spam to all in Comcast address Book

My Comcast email is emailing out spam emails to everyone in my Comcast email book.  The Spam are being sent when I am not even logged into my email account.

The first two were sent on August 3rd.  Two more were send today, August 6th.  How do I get this to stop?  I scanned my computer with Nortons and nothing detected.

New Visitor

Re: Comcast email account sending spam to all in Comcast address Book

I have the  same problem. I am going tro change my password. Just called support and they said its a bot that could even do more like find online banking info etc...

Told me to run malwarebytes and the microsoft malicious software tool, and change email pw.....

New Visitor

Thank you.  I will do and run the malware.  Thanks again!

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

Bot seems to be support's 'nasty' of the week. Comcast suipport does not know how to use the words "I don't know", so they toss out something handy, like bot, or rootkit.

Please post back and let know know what the scans find.

"Once I talked to the inmates of an insane asylum in Hartford. I have talked to idiots a thousand times, but only once to the insane..."
Mark Twain

Microsoft MVP, Consumer Security, 2005-2014
Official Employee
ComcastJordan

Bots are prevalent and can cause the symptoms described, however it's just as likely (if not more so) that the  password was compromised.  You'll definitely want to change your password as soon as possible.

Official Employee

As Jordan points out - this can be related to a variety of things.  To the extent that you may have a BOT on your computer that is looking to steal personal information like credit cards, bank act #s, etc - i'd also recommend downloading the constant guard protection sutie.  I sent you an email : i can arrange a call back from our support group if this is something you are interested in.  thx. 

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

[ Edited ]

Sorry, SecurityJim, but I have to  disagree with installing Constant Guard Security Suite. While there was an update issued July 21, problems still exists with the GuardedID module and until these are resolved, I can't recommend installing CGPS.

Norton, Identity Guard and Secure Backup and Share can be downloaded from the following links:

Comcast/Norton Security Suite:
http://xfinity.comcast.net/constantguard/Products/CGPS/norton/

Indentity Guard:
http://xfinity.comcast.net/constantguard/Products/CGPS/IdentityGuard/?

Secure Backup and Share:
http://xfinity.comcast.net/constantguard/Products/CGPS/backup/?cid=NET_33_624?

"Once I talked to the inmates of an insane asylum in Hartford. I have talked to idiots a thousand times, but only once to the insane..."
Mark Twain

Contributor
BiggyMeows

Acutally, I disagree with the Bot theory.  Bots can't run when a machine isn't turned on.  My account was hacked too, I ran virus scans and malware checkers, nothing.   The emails from my account were sent at times when I was not logged on to any computer.   I do not believe the security issue is with the end user in this case.   Its somewhere upstream on comcast's network.

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

[ Edited ]

I don't agree with the bot theory either. Too pat an answer. Changing the password works for 99% of the cases. If a bot were the cause, then the problem would continue.

At the same time, I also do not believe that Comcast's network was compromised. This issue has also been hitting Hotmail, Yahoo and  to a lesser degree, Gmail. Hotmail recently made changes to their security to prevent the use of common passwords.

WIth today's social media sites and the ability to populate your account with the contacts from your address book, countless opportunities exist for phishing and forged websites to capture email address and passwords.

That does not mean that networks cannot nor have not been compromised. It happens all the time. It's just  that the instances in these cases do not point  to wholesale use of Comcast's email accounts. Also, if their database(s) had been exposed, I believe Comcast is required to report it.

Use a strong password with a random mix of upper and lower case letters, numbers, and special characters (if allowed). Minimum length of 8 characters up to field maximum (Comcast is 16).

Never use this password for anything but your email account. If you have more than one email account, make each one different.

Never enter this password anywhere but the ISP's email login (or in your email client settings, if you use one).

Consider changing your email passwords every 90 days.

Never populate any contact list by signing in to your email account. Manually enter them.

Never login to a web based email account from any computer other than one you own. You do not know what programs may be running.

I would recommend you use a password management program to handle the creation and use of passwords.

Finally, if your email account is compromised, review your own activities and system first. Before you start blaming others, remember that when point a finger at someone else, you also have three pointing at you.

Mark Twain

Contributor
BiggyMeows

Agree that all your advice is good.  I do keep my email seperate (specifically for this type of reason) from all other accounts.  I have more than a laymans knowledge of computer security and protect my computers accordingly.  I KNOW its not on my end.

New Visitor
luvbug2005

Our comcast email is doing the same thing.  We then installed Constant Guard and it is still emailing when our computer isn't even turned on.  What else can we do?  URGENT!

Contributor
BiggyMeows

Thats the catch.  The computers aren't even turned on.  That means someone has the username and password and is logging on to the accounts elsewhere or the timestamps on the messages are being altered.

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

[ Edited ]

Login to XinfityConnect and change your email password immediately. See my post above of suggestions on passwords. If you use an email client, make sure you update it's configuration to reflect the new password.

Then check you email in XfinityConnect. Were there copies of the spam in your Sent Mail folder?

Mark Twain

New Visitor
luvbug2005

Yes, there are copies in my sent - many are being returned unopened now - but as they come in and I see them I have deleted them all.  Going to reset password again. 

Where again?  Ah sheesh!  This is making me nutty

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

One other item added to my list above.

Never login to your web based email account from any computer other than one you own.You do not know what programs may be running.

An example would be work computers, public access computers at libraries, shools, universities, etc.

Mark Twain

Official Employee

- do you have any examples of customers who have experienced the issue wtih GuardedID on the latest patch?  (1.0.620).    

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

SecurityJim wrote:

- do you have any examples of customers who have experienced the issue wtih GuardedID on the latest patch?  (1.0.620).    

See this thread for links:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/The-Cooler/Way-to-Go-Comcast-not-CGPS-Keyboard-Issues-Continue/td-p/100...

Mark Twain

Visitor

I'm receiving several emails daily with friends' names attached as if they had sent the emails most of which are sexual in nature...spoke with Comcast who advised to right click on site as spam email but I'm still receiving several almost every day.  I will attempt to change the password. 

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

Anon109651 wrote:

I'm receiving several emails daily with friends' names attached as if they had sent the emails most of which are sexual in nature...spoke with Comcast who advised to right click on site as spam email but I'm still receiving several almost every day.  I will attempt to change the password. 

Forward one of the emails to the friend with a note that you received this purportedly from them

It is most likely one of two things.

First, their email account has been compromised and spam sent to addresses in their address book. They can check this by looking for copies of the spam in the Sent Mail folder.

Second, someone is using their email address as the'From' in the email. In this case, there is nothing they can do about it other than wait it out. This will normally stop in a few days.

Mark Twain

New Visitor

Just to give update.  All the scans, Nortons...malware, etc. detected nothing.  When we discovered that the emails were being sent out when we were not even logged onto the account that made us realize that mostly the password had been compromised some how.  We changed the password and have not seen anymore emails sent so far.  (fingers crossed)  I rarely check my email from "foreign" computers.  Thought...could passwords be intercepted from Android cell phones?  Although I never type the password into my cell phone from the initial setup.

Visitor

Thank you...I forwarded one of them, I will do so with the others! Thanks again!

Frequent Visitor

Same exact event happen to me. While logged off, emails were sent to all my contacts (sexual in nature)

Official Employee
ComcastJordan

Folks,

If you see spam being sent from your account the cause may be a bot.  It may be a compromised password.  Regardless of root cause, resetting your password is an excellent first step.  Scanning your computer is also a really good idea.

Frequent Visitor

Completed full scan, results were clean and changed password. Lets see what happens. Im starting to recall Ithat I accessed my email from my mobile device and now Im thinking this maybe the issue.

Visitor

I changed my password yesterday and am still receiving messages with names of friends on FB as if they hacked into my address book; yet, I don't email with most of the folks/names attached to these unwanted/uninvited emails
Frequent Visitor

Im concerned about the FB issue too.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Not sure if I am missing something or not, but did both of you change your emails passwords and Facebook passwords?  Sorry if I am out in left field on this one!

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Frequent Visitor

I changed both.

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

Anon109651 wrote:
I changed my password yesterday and am still receiving messages with names of friends on FB as if they hacked into my address book; yet, I don't email with most of the folks/names attached to these unwanted/uninvited emails

Are you sending or receiving these spam emails? Are there copies of any spam in your Sent Mail folder?

The others are talking about  their accounts being us to send spam.

Mark Twain

New Visitor

I only changed my Comcast password and so far all emailing OUT has stoppedSo, compromised password seems to have been the issueI personally emailed BCC everyone in my Comcast address book telling them to not open or click on the links that were sent from my email address bookI have my FB pretty tight and did not change the passwordI do have Nortons scanning my FB as well as my computer.

New Visitor
JaxsonJohn

Same here on it  has happen over the last two week and today is Aug 12, 2011

Email Expert
JR071702

Attn steve666 - moved your post to a secure area as it contained a live phishing link