New Visitor

Comcast email on mobile (Android) not working

Verizon Samsung S3 (new).  Set up Comcast email account but when it syncs it only brings up emails prior to 30 days ago.  No emails since June 24, 2013.  Have deleted and added the account several times.  Checked all settings.  Spent over 30 min on the phone with Verizon rep.  We determined it's not the phone, as he set up my email account on his own phone from AZ (I'm in OR) and he got the same old emails in the inbox.  So, it must be a Comcast issue.  What can I do?  I can only get my comcast emails on my mobile by using the internet and logging in that way.  Verizon rep said this was the first he's heard of this problem and we were unable to solve the issue.  HELP! 

Visitor
Valerieroman

Re: Comcast email on mobile (Android) not working

I also have the problem - on my iPad and my HTC Droid phone. Comcast told me to call the manufacturers of each of my mobile devices. So stupid.
New Visitor

I did just that, but it is not a phone issue, obviously.  Sure I can set up comcast email using the Xfinity email app, but why should I have to?  They probably make it like this so we'll HAVE to use the Xfinity app. 

Bronze Star Contributor
angeldeb82

Same problem with the mobile workaround: I can go to the inbox, but I can't access or open any e-mail at all.  Opening Comcast e-mail only works on the standard version, but not the mobile one.  :catsad:

New Visitor
angelinarenee

I too am having this problem.    

It started on 7/28/13 when i logged into my email via my PC and it toild me email was down.  Shortly after it came up my phone kept asking for my password (DROID RAZOR) i entered severl times over severl hours but none of the emails that came through on my PC ever made it to my phone. 

I deleted and tried to reset it up and it was timing out. 

I called and they started a ticket and I still have not heard back from them!

Visitor

I have the same problem with my Ipad and my Android phone. Comcast told me to check with Apple about the ipad and Verizon about the phone. The problems started with them.:smileyconfused: What the heck is going on with them?! So I can't send email from my Ipad because "username and password" are wrong??? Don't know what to do about this problem. Maybe I do need to go to AT&T for internet services. Just so unsatisfied with Comcast now. Don't know who contact to get the issues resolved.

Contributor

I'm having the exact same problem on my Samsung Galaxy S4, where it only downloads email that is exactly one month old (very strange).  Comcast sent me off to Signature Service who of course wanted more money to setup my phone again (I declined).  (Trust me, I know how to setup my phone and email.)  My other email accounts with Comcast work fine.  The problem lies on a comcast server or some stale sync setting in the stock email app.  I'm out of ideas.  This is starting to look like the usual customer service where each party points fingers at the other and nothing gets solved.  At this point, the only solution I see is to begin migrating everything over to my gmail account.

Contributor

In case it helps isolate teh problem, it started sometime last week.  Before that, it's worked fine for months.

New Visitor

I agree with you about the finger pointing.  Verizon says it's a Comcast issue, Comcast says it's a Verizon issue.  Leaves the customer in the middle, and stuck with only the option of leaving Comcast email for another server.  That is a huge hassle, especially for someone like me who's been using Comcast email for about 10 years with the same email address!

One thing I did that has been working well as an alternative to get Comcast email easily on my Verizon S3 is to download and install the Comcast Xfinity Connect app.  Though this is not an email account set up directly through the phone's "set up email" app, it has been working nicely.  In fact, believe it or not, I like the interface better.  It's easier to use than the Comcast email set up the other way. 

After my initial post on here I discovered that app and tried it, then I thought maybe this was what most Comcast email customers were using on their mobiles.  Maybe not, but so far it is working for me.  Give that a try.

Contributor

I actually did the same thing (installed the Comcast app).  It's a workaround but it's less desirable because I have multiple email accounts at comcast and others.  I'm not sure that the Comcast App will work with other email accounts.

New Visitor
rdmnz62

just change your password and it all works

Visitor
jordegumma

I've been having this problem off and on for several weeks on my Galaxy S4. It seemed unpredictable - except that every time, the phone would only give me emails exactly one month old. If the problem persisted overnight, the next morning I could get "new" emails that were a month old.  Then, it would spontaneously start working correctly again for no apparent reason, a day or two after it broke. 

This last time, I deleted the account from the phone and reinstated it. I rebooted the phone.  Neither of those helped.  I have an iPhone for work, and I added my comcast account to the iPhone - still did not work.  My husband has a comcast email account and a Galaxy S4. I loaded his email account on my phone, and it worked. I loaded my comcast account on his phone and it did not work.  His mobile comcast account has been working just fine all along.  We cross-checked all our email settings on our phones and they were identical.  Data usage was similar.  If I deleted individual emails, they just reappeared later for no reason.  I manually synced the account several times, with no effect observed other than the phone updated the time it was last synced.  I tried changing my password as was suggested here, and that did not help.

When I called Comcast the first time yesterday, I had the option of being called back since the wait time for the "next available representative" was long, so that was cool.  However, when they called me back 20 minutes later, they put me on hold, because the person who called me didn't know the answer.  While on hold, I got dumped into an infinite loop of the recording repeatedly telling me to enter my phone number, last 4 of the SSN, a chipper statement that they were locating my account... and then told me to repeat all those steps of entering the same numbers.  About the fifth time through this loop, I hung up and started over.  This time, I was not offered the option of a call-back even though the wait times were the same, down to the minute (like it's an imaginary time range).  So I sat on hold for another 20 minutes or so.  Finally got a human being to talk to, but this person insisted there is no such problem occurring at Comcast and it must be my phone.  (Even though my husband's comcast account works on my S4 and my comcast account did not work on my company iPhone?)  (S)he said they could tell me what my settings are, but refused to do so, because if my phone didn't already know it then I would not be able to get the old emails, either.  (S)he said (s)he would do a force sync from their end and that was all they could do. The end.  That did not work, either.  Almost 24 hours later, and two hours after I did anything to try to fix it - my phone suddenly started giving me today's messages, instead of month-old messages.  Why?  It was two hours after I left the house, and I did cross a county line and drove under an overpass and passed a beige Volkswagen, etc., so who knows what broke the dam?

Much frustration and research later, my husband looked at the settings of our respective accounts on the desktop computer.  He did this because he had some spare time and was moving stuff out of my inbox to see if that helped... Then he discovered that he was running the "full" version, and mine was the "lite" version.  So he changed me to the "full" version.  It is a lot less clunky than what I had.  We don't know yet if it fixed the problem with the account communicating with the phone, since the phone had miraculously started working again for no apparent reason a few hours before I got the "full" account.  And, since some emails were moved from the inbox to folders, that may have an effect, too.  In any case, this is our best guess for a fix - switch to the full version.  It's under preferences, then general settings. 

Finally - with so many people on so many forums complaining about the exact same issue, even on comcast's own website, WHY did they act like they had never heard of this before?  They just shrugged it off like, "Gee, that's weird, oh, well, bye."  And can't they even fix their own caller-on-hold problems? 

Visitor
jordegumma

Changing the password did not work for me.

Official Employee
ComcastKen

Hello All,

Can you please let me know if you were setting up POP or IMAP on your phones?  Was there any error messages or it just won't show you any new emails (i.e. only older emails are shown)?  Please let me know the following:

1) What email protocol are you using?

2) Did it work before or is this the first time you are setting this up?

3) When did you first start seeing this issue?

4) What are you port settings and server names for Incoming and Outgoing servers?

Thanks,

Ken Tran
Comcast Silicon Valley
Contributor

To my dislike, I've been using the Comcast email app since this problem started.  Since we finally have the attention of someone from Comcast, I'm happy to help root cause this issue.  I got the same run-around over the phone but they wanted to charge me to go through the setup of my phone, etc.  I've been in computer engineering long enough to know what I'm doing and how to configure my email.

Ken, let me know if you need more information:

Incoming POP3: mail.comcast.net  (Port 995)

Outgoing SMTP: smpt.comcast.net (Port 465) Security SSL

For the first several months it worked fine.  I started seeing this about a week before my first post around Aug 1, 2013.  It hasn't ever worked after that time.

I appreciate your attention.

Visitor
jordegumma

I have the same settings as mackwoodeye. I found those settings on an article or press release from Comcast from about Aug 23, but did not check my settings until Sept 2. That was about the fourth time my email had malfunctioned.  The person in the call center wouldn't tell me what the settings were supposed to be (I did ask).  I have had the Galaxy S4 for about two months, and did not have problems the first few weeks. My previous phone (Incredible2) did not have problems with email.  Not sure exactly when the issue started, but seems like it was about 4-5 weeks ago, and was intermittent. 

New Visitor
grvisser

I am experiencing a similar problem on my Samsung Galaxy S3 using the phone email set up.  It keeps re - downloading old messages and that is quite annoying.  I am not having any problem getting new emails however.

Regular Visitor

I am having the exact same issues on my Samsung Galaxy S4, too. Today I have an additional new problem in that it says my password is now not correct. I have not changed anything and now I can't get into my Comcast email at all on my phone.

Contributor

Same problem.  Email stopped coming yesterday.  Deleting Comcast and re-installing allowed emails from one month ago to come, but nothing more recent.  I have the "full" version of Comcast, not the "lite", so that is probably unrelated. Very frustrating since it was just fine until yesterday.  Verizon techie said if deleting and re-installing did not fix it, then it is a Comcast problem.

Visitor
jordegumma

Any suggestions or solutions yet?
New Visitor
angelinarenee

I was using POP

Error message was telling me that it is timed out

My email worked for 2 years on this phone before this happened

It started back in July/August

Ports I was using was 110/25 then 995

Mail.comcast.com

I also went as far as creating a test email account and that set up right away on my phone, but the emailt that worked for 2 years still is not working!

Visitor

Try this as it just worked for me a few minutes ago....create a new folder in your Comcast inbox and move your previous month's emails to that new folder.  This means your "inbox" folder should have emails dated over 30 days ago.  The theory is that there's a corrupted email somewhere in there blocking the updating of new emails according to the web page expert "BethKatz" in this reference.  Kudos to Beth for figuring this one out over a year ago!  I'm glad we have this forum available when these issues pop up every now and then.  Good luck!

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/E-Mail-and-Xfinity-Connect-Help/email-not-updating-to-android-phone-or-...

If the above lind does not work, do a Comcast search for "email not updating to android phone or ipad" and you will see the thread.  Thanks.

New Visitor
angelinarenee

Still not work - now its telling me invalid password - I have reset the password again and still not working. 

Thanks for trying though

Contributor

I tried this and it did not work.  I'm still receiving emails on my Android that are exactly one month old, but nothing current.

New Visitor

i am also having alot of problems w comcast email on my Verizon Galaxy 3.  Phone email worked fine for months, then it seemed the comcast server went down all together, with no access to computer email either. finally it came back up but my mobile is not working.. i unistalled and reinstalled comcast email on my phone.  I got one test email out but now  every time i send email out i get a server error.. very frustrating.. 

Contributor

Today I got my email working again on my Android!  Before I forget what I did, I'll try to summarize it here so someone else can try it.  I made sure my settings were those recommended by "mackwoodeye" then tried again to follow what "jcrjjl" suggested from the "Beth Katz" website.  But, this time, I made sure that the new Temp folder I created (on my computer at my Comcast Xfinity email site) was not a subset of my Inbox, but an entirely separate and new folder.  Then, instead of putting in only the emails from the month before I lost the ability to receive any on my phone, I dumped ALL my current and past emails into it going back a month and a week and including my more recent ones.  For some reason, this worked and I started getting my emails on my phone as I always used to.  It may not last, but I'm very happy about it right now!

New Visitor

i MAY have fixed my email problem.. to recap-- comcast email quit working suddenly for no reason on my Samsung Galaxy 3- after changing passwords, uninstalling reinstalling- attempt to use xfinity site to send    and computer searches for  a fix   - all unsucessful.   I did the following and seemed to sucessfully send and recieve test emails:           I uninstalled comcast email. . I MANUALLY reinstalled  POP incoming server POP3.comcast.net  no security Port 110 for incoming-- outgoing smtp comcast.net no security port 587  no security  but when i unchecked require log in it did not work... so once i checked it.. messages went.. good luck to all who use comcast email  

New Visitor
angelinarenee

I  finally got mine to work only after i did what hslynch

Contributor

My email stopped working yesterday on my Nexus 7 it is a month behind on my HTC one it stopped downloading messages after yesterday.  This happened to my email in the past I can't remember what was done on Comcast's end.  Interestingly the Xfinity app works.  I have about had it with my Comcast email anyway.  

New Visitor
GarciaGM

I've been having this problem for the past few days.  I've deleted and re-added my Comcast email account on my phone, cleared the email cache, rebooted, etc.  Finally this morning I tried another user's advice to find a potentially corrupted email that was interferring with my email downloads.  After deleting several suspect emails in my web-interface Xfinity Inbox, I noticed that there was an email loading on my phone that didn't appear anywhere on the Xfinity page (not in Inbox, Spam, or Trash).  I deleted the email in question from my phone, emptied my Xfinity Trash, then refreshed the emails on my phone and it finally worked. 

All that to say, if you're looking for the corrupted email, mine happened to be one that loaded successfully on my phone but was not showing up in the Xfinity Inbox.  Too, this was not spam, it was a legitimate email from a contact I know.  Hope this helps someone!

Visitor

Well my fix only lasted one day. The next day it was back so I tried the different port settings that Loron suggested. That also worked briefly. After trying several times with one day working and the next day not, I gave up and downloaded the xfinity app that has worked just fine for a few days. Maybe it's a conspiracy by Comcast to get your phone contacts. I see in the app it loads all of them in there...so much for privacy.

I too am tired of comcast email but in my area it's the best worst option! Good luck finding a permanent fix.
Contributor

Well now my email is working again on both my HTC One and Nexus 7.  I did nothing no changes nothing.

Regular Visitor

My phone is now getting email again, too, and I also
did not change anything. I did download the Xfinity app,
and that seems to work fine.
New Visitor

I had a similar problem on my S4.  Email was working fine and then stopped one day.  I figured out how to get mine to work.  I went into the account settings and then to incoming server settings.  After changing the security type from SSL to SSL (accept all certificates) everything started working again.

New Visitor

Awesome! That worked for me changing it to SSL accept all certificates!

Contributor

No incoming email on device since Thursday. Just changed security setting from SSL to TSL (no other option but "none"), and now I suddenly received on my android all the new emails since issue began.
New Visitor
jlongo

I had this problem this morning.

No emails.

at all..

Deleted account, restarted phone.

created new account.

Nothing.

Changed to TSL.

Worked.

Not sure why something got changed to TSL Transport Layer Security but it works.

Would be nice if Comcast could tell us these things!!!!

New Visitor
jlongo

Just a note...My wife has a 4G phone and she hasn't had the same problem.

I have a 3G Driod 2 HTC.

New Visitor

My Comcast email on my Android device (Galaxy S3) began working Thu. 27-Sep. I had the same problem where emails were one month old on my phone at the latest. 

I began deleting unneeded email on my phone until the phone refreshed again to download more email (per limit configured in Settings).  I did this two times, on two consecutive days.  The second day, after the refresh occurred to download more messages up to the configred limit, then I noticed current messges appeared.  I am still receiving current emails. 

As a previous post indicated, it may have been a corrupt email that clogged the queue, like a print job that is stuck and print subsequent print jobs from processing.  Delete it, and then printing works again. Not sure... but this is the process that I used to get my Comcast email working again... or it was just a coincidence, and Comcast fixed the problem that same time, I don't know, but It works now.

I configured my Comcast email on my Android device using the defaults Android assigned after I entered my Comcast email address.

Xfinity Connect app for Android also works... but of course it doesn’t integrated into a single email inbox combining all my email accounts, which is key for me and why I like the Android email client better.

Visitor
trout99

Changing my setting from SSL to TSL worked for me too. 

New Visitor
KGHKGH

Like so many others, my HTC (Incredible 2) email was not receiving any Comcast email as of 9/25/13 [and had same Comcast support experience].  I felt I had nothing to lose and just deleted all email from all folders.  Radical, and of course, it did not work.  :-)

However, subsequently to email eradication, I changed incoming setting to TLS (which auto-populated server port 110) and the HTC (Incredible 2) email inbox populated starting September 26th!  So, I recommend the incoming setting change followed by a systematic removal of emails from folders.  Further, I did notice that essentially no email was ‘populated’ from a 12-hour period September 26 12:30AM to September 26th 12:30PM.

Steps for the HTC (Incredible 2) Setting change: within Mail’s More menu->Settings->Account Setting->Next at account name->Select TLS for Security Type selection (which auto-populates server port 110)->Next, starts an auto check incoming-> Next, starts an auto check outgoing with SSL 465->Finish Setup

Regular Contributor
_snowstorm_

..and when you *do* use the Xfinity app, it messes up a dozen other things (on my Galaxy S4.)

Official Employee
ComcastJordan

What things get messed up, Snowstorm? 

New Visitor
spluck

This worked for me, too, on my new Droid mini. Will just keep my fingers crossed that it keeps working. Thanks. 

New Visitor
jlongo

Hey comcast...why not send out a general memo to all service employees stating that there is a known issue with some driod phones particulary the HTC incredible 2 and samsung Galazxy?

Run through the possible solutions as we have stated here...so when people call comcast - you guys don't act ignorant and say" call the manufactuer". (and I am using "ignorant" even though most people over use this word being ignorant of its true meaning).

This is a server sercurity layer issue...not a phone error.

It is when the phone tries to access the server in order to download or push emails.

One note, I also think that my HTC recently updated system software which may have caused the error.

Most phones will only do this after a full restart and full charge or a shutdown, restart and fully charge from what I have found in the past. I am wondering if that is what caused the conflictions with comcast's servers. Still a server access and security protocol issue.

So to the people who have found this site - you are probably here because you searched for a problem(solution) with comcast and your driod phone not working.

Those three solutions that may work are:

Go into your email settings and change the security protocol- do this by opening your email. access your settings.  click on account settings and change security protocol to "TSL" (server port should remain at 110). (POP account seems to be the way to go). save settings, exit and restart phone. sync phone.

Next if that fails, try changing your password to access email online. Log onto your online account through a computer or laptop...or if you have to a browser on your phone. Change password. Save changes. logout.

Go to phone. change password. save settings. Exit. restart phone.

Next, if the top 2 solutions fail -

try deleting emails and creating a new folder. I have actually had this happen with my grandmother. yes she uses email. yes, I am always the one she calls to fix any computer problem. Yes, I moved up on the inheritance list - sorry cousins! I have found sometimes spam emails, emails with bad or corrupt attachments, large attachments, forwards, etc. will cause her email to stop receiving. I go through and start to sort emails by those catagories and delete away ones she doesn't need. She gets a lot of forwards. You can also try creating a new folder and moving all emails to that new folder. Then restart your phone and sync your account. That may work but such a hassle I would try the top two methods first.

Last solution.. get rid of comcast. :smileywink:

Connection Expert
JamesR

If you have an Android phone then you have a Gmail account.

As an interim workaround until you get this fixed, can you set a rule to forward your comcast mail to your Gmail account. 

It would be interesting to know if forwarding to Gmail fails in the same way pulling current mail does.

Visitor
Trifool

I have been having issues with sending and receiving email on my Motorola Bionic running Jellybean 4.1.2. This has been going off and on for the past few days. I note that there are mentions of others having this same issue in other messages listed in the Forum subjects for the past month. I have an outgoing message that has been sitting in my outbox for over an hour. My incoming server is set to mail.comcast.net port 995 security type SSL. I have tried the changing of ports and all security types with no luck. I receive the message "Can't connect to server". My outgoing server is set to smtp.comcast.net port 465 security type SSL authentication method plain. I have also tried changing the security types with no luck as I get the message "Can't connect to server". I know about Gmail and how I could send Comcast email from that account. Even though I have been able to send Comcast email from Gmail previously I am unable to do this the past two days.

I am able to use Outlook and the Comcast web based email. So I know that Comcast email is not down completely. I am also able to use the Xfinity application for Android with no problems.

I would like to get this resolved as I do not always have access to a computer when out on the road. I also can't stand the Xfinity application. The only reason I have it is so I can text message using my home number with people and get my voicemail....

New Visitor
PTurbo

This solution appears to have worked for me.  I move Oct to a Temp dir on the web log in access. I move Nov to another dir.  I culled the emails heavily since everything seems to be there even if I deleted it in Outlook or on my Sam Gal S4.  Once I cleaned up all the emails, I found I had already files most of the Oct ones so I just deleted them.  I restored the cleaned up Nov emails to the Inbox.  Inbetween each step, I sync'd the S4.  After the final sync, I found it is working fine.  I believe there was "something" in Oct that caused a problem.  Everytime I removed Oct emails from the REAL Inbox on the Wed log in, the problem went away.  If I copied Oct files back, the problem came back.

A good excuse to clean house.

New Visitor
gogetter4

Same problem.
Regular Contributor
_snowstorm_

Me too. When the phone knocks or beeps or otherwise makes itself known, someone says "It's really useful to get be able to get email when you're out." "Not if you have comcast. They don't do android email."

And during the time I did have the app installed, my computer and home phone were in a state of chaos.