New Visitor
jgpuck

Comcast.net e-mail issues with username and password errors during login

Hello-  Twice in the last few days, I've all of a sudden been unable to log into my comcast.net e-mail account using multiple CPUs, smartphones, etc.  When I enter my username and password, i get a response that says "username and password do not match".  However, this is after the username and password had already been working propperly.  So, twice now I've had to contact Comcast, have them reset the password, then change the password to a new one, etc.  I then get up and running, but now it seems like a pattern is developing where this will only work for a limited amount of time.  Please help!  I love comcast, and I'm a longtime customer, but this is scaring me.  Thank you-

Email Expert
CCCarole

Re: Comcast.net e-mail issues with username and password errors during login

jgpuck wrote:

Hello-  Twice in the last few days, I've all of a sudden been unable to log into my comcast.net e-mail account using multiple CPUs, smartphones, etc.  When I enter my username and password, i get a response that says "username and password do not match".  However, this is after the username and password had already been working propperly.  So, twice now I've had to contact Comcast, have them reset the password, then change the password to a new one, etc.  I then get up and running, but now it seems like a pattern is developing where this will only work for a limited amount of time.  Please help!  I love comcast, and I'm a longtime customer, but this is scaring me.  Thank you-

When you create the NEW password, are you including upper and lower case letters, some numbers, and some characters?  Strong passwords are now required, so just maybe that is the problem.  Maybe try one more time, but this time use a strong password (IF you aren't already) and see if that helps you. :smileysad:

If not, post back again please.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

New Visitor
dna0405

This is not a CUSTOMER problem.  Your system is having issues.  I'm having the same problems and i'm not entering the wrong password, or whatever the excuse is that I keep getting from Comcast.  I should not have to change my password every couple days when CLEARLY it's an issue on the Comcast end.  I'm a bit surprised to see that others are having the same issues, as this would be obviously a recurring problem with Comcast customers, so why wouldn't the online Customer Service representative MENTION THAT WHEN THEY ARE CONTACTED.

Fed up comcast, been a long time customer and between internet connection issues and now this, we're ready to bail.

Contributor

Having the same exact problem and it started exactly when jgpuck's did. Often I set the password to exactly what it was before, the same password I've been using for years. It may or may not let me in but it only works for a short time. Tried a completely different password-- same problem. There is obviously something wrong. For me the problem is limited to smartphones and the mobile site. And yes I've already tried clearing cache and cookies on the phone and doing a battery pull.

New Visitor
wags256

Just came over here b/c I am having the same problem!  Started yesterday as well.

I view my email from Outlook (PC) and from my iphone4.

I reset my password online,  and updated my password in Outlook and on my phone yesterday.

Today about the same time as yesterday, I"m getting the same errors.

I have to reset my password AGAIN.

Logging in online, I Have no problems with PW. Only in Outlook and on my phone.

This is frustrating. Would appreciate some more investigation!

Thanks

Email Expert
CCCarole

[ Edited ]
I have notified the Comcast Administrator of this issue already. Please watch for a reply by the Administrator or a Comcast Moderator.

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)

New Visitor
chad215

I've been having the same issue w/ Windows Live Mail, Outlook Express, & Android.  No mail client access... but I can log in via comcast.net.  I've been dealing w/ this since late Monday.  Waiting on a tech/engineer to call, as per umpteenth conversation w/ customer service rep.  No question, it's a server issue on their end; NOT a settings issue on my (our) end.

Will update as I know more.  Please do the same.

Contributor

CCCarole,

I can add a bit more detail that may help. See my post at http://forums.comcast.com/t5/E-Mail-and-Xfinity-Connect-Help/Cannot-Open-Email/m-p/1238169/message-u...

This is my wife's computer. I have had the same problem, though not today. My settings are the same as defined above. When I have had the trouble in the past, trying to log in an hour or so later would be successful. At the time that I couldn't log into the POP account on Comcast, I also had trouble logging into my website on a non-Comcast server. The logs that I submitted to my webhost looked to them like there may be problems with the Comcast DNS server, perhaps timing out or routing incorrectly.

Official Employee
ComcastJordan

Folks,

I'm hearing a two different stories and I want to make sure we have it straight.

Story 1:

Can't log in from anywhere.  Reset password.  A few days later can't log in from anywhere.

Story 2:

Can't log in from pc/smartphone/etc.  Can log in via XfinityConnect.  (Not sure if folks are trying a reset in this scenario).

Visitor

The same thing has been happening to me 2 Fridays in a row.  I just chatted with a Comcast technician and still no mention of this same problem ongoing for other customers. 

I suspect a connection between this and the fake email saying that my account will be terminated (which Comcast is supposedly working on now).  I actually clicked on the link in that email which routed me to a fake xfinity page and asked me to log in.  I of course logged in with my username and then password because of fear of losing my account.  I got nervous then but nothing happened immediately until last Friday...

Contributor
UnseenHand2

same issue this evening.  There was a data breach between now and one week before.  I understand companies would not like to disclose this type of information but I believe it's best to do so for the subscribers benefit.

New Visitor
wags256

Comast Jordan; Story 1

Story 1: True. Can't log in anywhere (but comcast.net website). Not from phone. Not from PC (outlook).

Have to reset password (though password IS correct and works on website) every few days. Password reset solves problem. Though, very annoying.

Story 2:  Can't log in via iphone-- reset tried. Rechecked settings. I'm in IT so I get that kind of stuff. But issue was on PC (outlook) as well. It's not a phone problem, it's a comcast problem.

Visitor

I spoke with a Comcast technician after I posted yesterday...

Apparently, Comcast CAN and DOES automatically "lock you out" of your account if there is phishing activity detected by their security system.  Calling a technician can establish whether you yourself changed your password or not (so remember the dates you change passwords) but does not say (or according to them anyway) whether it was a phishing activity that locked you out to begin with or system error.

I was told that the phishing should only happen once from a specific source, which means you will be locked out once, then have to reset once.  But as I said earlier in my post, I was locked out 2 Fridays in a row.  I'm less likely to believe that there was phishing through my account from the same source twice in a row AFTER I have already changed my password, or from 2 different sources in a row.

I have changed my password to a completely different one from the previous, so let's see what happens, but Comcast should also not yet rule out that this might be system error after all.

New Visitor
suzh999

Spoiler
I am having the same problem as everyone else, ie my password has been changed or disabled twice during the past month. I was somewhat relieved to see it was not just me, but I  would like to see some acknowledgement of the problem and eventually an explanation and maybe even an apology. 

New Visitor
dnies3

[ Edited ]

I am having the same problems as everyone else on this post.  Have had them re-set my password and things are OK for a few hours, then can't get on via cell phone, iPad or Outlook.  Been happening for last 3 days.  I get error messages like ID and Password are not correct.  Other times told can't access the server.

Only way I can get mail seems to be from Xfinityconnect.

New Visitor
neiser

There is clearly a problem that is with comcast and NOT with the customer. I've had the exact same problem as everyone else who is posting here -- I've had to call 3 times in past 1 1/2 weeks. First two times i called they could not give me reason for problem. When i called today the rep said others were having the problem and he didn't know why. Sounds like this has been going on for way too long. Not sure I'll remain a comcast customer if this happens again.....not any way to run a business.

New Visitor
Gretchen12701

The same thing is happening to me. Three times in the last 12 days. It's freaking me out because I can't be sure I'm not being hacked. It would be nice if it were fixed. I can get better service from free email programs.
New Visitor
JenInFL

I am having the same issues. Seven days ago, I was locked out of my email. Contacted Comcast via the online chat. Tech was rude insisting that I forgot my password. This is was of course not the case. I ultimately changed my password and now 7 days later, I just had to reset my password again. What's really going on?

Contributor

C'mon Comcast, a solid week of this and no progress? Do the same crack technicians that do your truck rolls administer your servers?

Regular Contributor

Same issue here. Now, after resetting my password AGAIN, I can login via the comcast webmail interface only. If I try to login via a third party email program on my ipad or laptop I am getting a message saying my password is incorrect, while it most definitely IS correct!
Web Page Expert
BethKatz

griffelh wrote:
Same issue here. Now, after resetting my password AGAIN, I can login via the comcast webmail interface only. If I try to login via a third party email program on my ipad or laptop I am getting a message saying my password is incorrect, while it most definitely IS correct!

I hear your frustration. On the iPad and Laptop (if a Mac), you need to set the password in two places - once for incoming and once for outgoing mail.

New Visitor
a_wirtz12

I'm confused as to the lack of attention this seems to be getting. 

I can log in to my email account using my droid phone, with my comcast login and password.

This same login and password does not allow me to login today using Thunderbird... a tool that I have been using for comcast mail for a very long time. 

Why is comcast ignoring this issue?

Regular Contributor

I did. THIS IS A COMCAST ISSUE. All my settings and my passwords are correct!!!!! It is working fine on 3 accounts, just won't work on my main/most important account!
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]
I am now on chat with support. I just keep getting accused of typing the wrong password, and the password is correct!
Web Page Expert
BethKatz

I don't doubt that there is a problem. It seems to be cross-device and cross-OS. 

When you (and I'm asking all of you having this problem) go into the web-based Xfinity Connect, which mail server are you hitting? For example, when I go to View Entire Inbox, the location bar shows me looking at:

sz0001.wc.mail.comcast.net

I'm asking about the sz0001.

Regular Contributor

I am sz0068
Regular Contributor

Here is the transcript of my oh so helpful chat session:

• Mel > Hello Louis, Thank you for contacting Comcast Live Chat Support. My name is Mel. Please give me one moment to review your information.
  • Louis > My Issue: Unable to connect to my xxxxx email account via POP server/SMPT. I am able to connect via the Comcast website. My other comcast email accounts are having no trouble. I have changed no settings and it worked fine this morning.
  • Mel >
  • Mel > I understand you have an email concern.
  • Louis > Yes, as described above
  • Mel > Okay.
  • Mel > I am here to provide you with excellent customer service today. Please be assured I will do my best to help you with your concern.
  • Mel > Louis, what email client are you using?
  • Louis > Can you explain what the issue is? I can l ogin via the comcast website only. Pop server accounts and thrid party accounts are not working.
  • Louis > Windows mail and ipad. Neither are accepting my password. I keep getting an incorrect password error. I even tried chaning the password and it still did not work.
  • Mel > Okay.
  • Mel > Thank you for those information.
  • Louis > Everything was working fine this morning. I also have 3 other comcast email accounts that are all working fine via POP servers. Just xxxxx is not working, and that is the main email account that I use, so it is extremely irritating.
  • Mel > Don't worry, with your cooperation we will exhaust all measures to address your concern the quickest time possible.
  • Mel > It's actually like this. The Comcast email account is the email server and windows mail is a third party email client. You need to use the same password for your xxxxx@comcast.net email account as well as with your windows mail account for it to work.
  • Mel > You also need to use the Comcast email servers and ports.
  • Mel > Have you made changes to your xxxxxx@comcast.net email account or in your windows mail account?
  • Louis > I have changed nothing today, and everything worked fine this morning.
  • Louis > WHat port should I try?
  • Mel > Okay.
  • Mel > Please double check if you have the same password in Comcast.net email and in Windows mail.
  • Louis > I do. I have rentered the password 10 times. It is the same.
  • Mel > Okay.
  • Mel > Kindly check in your windows mail if you have the following ports.
  • Mel > Incoming port: 110
  • Mel > Outgoing port: 587
  • Mel > Incoming mail server: mail.comcast.net
  • Mel > Outgoing mail server: smtp.comcast.net
  • Louis > incoming is and has been set to 110.
  • Mel > Okay.
  • Louis > outgoing is set to 25 and has never been a problem
  • Louis > the other 2 are as you have typed them
  • Mel > Okay, please change your outgoing port to 587.
  • Louis > OK, I changed it
  • Mel > Alright.
  • Louis > the account is still not able to connect to the server
  • Mel > May i ask what do you exactly mean it's not able to connect to the server?
  • Louis > I am getting the same unable to connect message, and then the account/password box pop up.....same issue I have been having, but only with this one account. ipad is not able to connect either.
  • Louis > Do you have ANY idea why I would suddenly be having a problem with only ONE account?
  • Mel > Okay, please close your windows mail account.
  • Mel > Let me know if it's closed.
  • Louis > ok, it is closed
  • Mel > Alright.
  • Mel > Now kindly log in to your xxxxx@comcast.net email account.
  • Mel > Please click on this link to log in to your Comcast Email Account. https://login.comcast.net/login?s=wnamp&ts=f40c50ee
  • Mel > Let me know if you're able to log in or not.
  • Louis > I am logged in
  • Louis > I have no trouble logging in via the comcast website, as I said to begin with.
  • Louis > I just cannot use my ipad email program or windows mail, which is irritating. They worked fine until I got home this evening.
  • Mel > Okay, thank you for confirming that.
  • Louis > Every time I try to login via my ipad I am told that my password is incorrect, and it definitely is correct.
  • Mel > Louis, can you try to change the password of your xxxxx@comcast.net email account then also change it in your windows mail account to make sure both are the same.
  • Louis > I did that already. It had no impact. I tried that before I started this chat. Believe me, I tried all of the simple/easy things. This MUST be a setting or issue on the Comcast end.
  • Mel > Okay, well actually this issue is beyond Comcast's support already since we checked and see that you are not having any problems with your Comcast email account. Please allow me to set proper expectations that windows mail is a third party email client, Louis.
  • Mel > Have you tried contacting the administrator of windows mail already? Maybe there's a maintenance on there end or something.
  • Mel > We also have checked and see that you are using the correct email ports and servers.
  • Louis > Look, the comcast server is telling ipad pop server and windows mail pop server that my password is incorrect, on one account only. If this were a proplem with windows mail AND ipad, it would effect all of my comcast accounts, it would not single out this one. This IS a COMCAST issue.
  • Louis > Sure, insteead of this being a Comcast issue, there must be something wrong with the windows mail program and the ipad mail app, both starting at the same time and effecting only one of my email accounts. Does that REALLY make any sense to you as a tech person?????
  • Mel > I understand that but everything is fine with your Comcast email account.
  • Louis > Sure, it just is not able to interact with ANY other email client. SO that sounds fine to you?
  • Louis > This must be a SERVER issue, not an issue with my account!
  • Mel > Okay.
  • Louis > Well, you failed in your goal to provide me with excellent customer service. Thank you for wasting my time
New Visitor

This is now getting to the point of ridiculousness. I have now had this same problem 3 times in about as many weeks. I am concerned that Comcast has been hacked and someone is gaining access to my email! Comcast, you need to let people know what is happening. I sign on and it tells me that user I'd and password are not recognized.
Regular Visitor

I just had to change my password as well. Definittely something is going on with Comcast.

Regular Contributor

It may be time to permanently switch to gmail. I have used this account for 10 years, so it will be painful, as so many people have this email address for me, but this is just getting to be ridiculous.

Why would all third party programs tell me my password is wrong, when it is not? Comcast is somehow not verifying appropriately.

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

I've notified the forum administrator about this thread and your experiences.

I'd still like to see if there is a common thread in the accounts that are having trouble.

griffelh, you have some accounts that work and one that doesn't. Do the others hit the same server? Is it the primary account? I'm not sure what else to try. 

Regular Visitor

My issue was with the primary account. I check my E-mails directly from Comcast WEB site and not 3rd party app.

My secondary E-mail accounts were fine.

I also could not login to my account so it's not just E-mail it's the actual account password.

Once I reset the password I was in business however I have been using my account details for years and today just got hit.

Contributor
sleep_doc1a

Same problem here. Could not access my emails today on Windows mail or Droid. Could not log into Xfinity. All said user name and password not valid. Comcast reset my password and I can now log into Xfinity but still can’t get emails on my windows mail or droid. Comcast keeps telling me it is a settings problem when it is not- it is a server problem as evidenced by the many posts that are appearing here, all describing the same problem. Comcast is like talking to a wall and will not acknowledge or admit the problem

Visitor

Same issue here, but my wife's comcast account works fine.

If I go to comcast.net and send a test email from there to my comcast email address, I don't get it.  But if I send an email from the comcast site to my school email address it works fine.  Seems as though it sends messages fine, but it won't receive them.

Hopefully they get this fixed soon, I can't go another day without this email account.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]
Another account on sz0068 is working fine and accounts on sz0090 are working fine. Griffelh is on sz0068 on pop servers do not work. Keep getting incorrect password error message, but the password works on comcast website, and I changed the password twice and still works only on comcast site. Griffelh is a sub-account, but is the main email that I use.
New Visitor
Gretchen12701

When it happens to me I find it by attempting to log into my account via my PC. I get an error message several times so i go to my droid and iPad to see if I can log in there. None of the access points work so I go ahead and reset my password via the PC and then re-sign into my mobile devices with the NEW password and all work for a few days until the entire scenario happens again. It has happened three separate times now. I have hit panic mode because I am concerned that I have been hacked so I then go into ALL my web accounts and reset just in case. It's getting old. I can't simply switch accounts because I use all my files for court cases. Please fix.
Regular Contributor

Gretchen, I have been having this problem for 3 weeks. The last two times changing the password solved the issue. Today it does not. Somehow my account and everyone else's here are in some way connected in having this issue. I have several other comcast email accounts that have never had any problems while this one does. Puzzling.  That is why I get so irritated in the chat help. They tell me it must be a problem with my third party application, yet the application works fine with multiple othe comcast accounts!

Contributor

I am also having the same problem.  I am signed in on my main laptop with no problem.  Have not changed the password since Sunday (when I last had this problem).  Earlier today all was fine.  All of a sudden, I am getting the incorrect password message when I try to check my comcast email on my phone.  The password was stored in the phone, as I entered it on Sunday after changing it on the website on my laptop.  This is at least the 3rd time it has happened to me in the last couple weeks.  Very aggravating.

Visitor

Has Comcast tried to correlate the locations/regions where customers are experiencing these issues with the dates they are rolling out Xfinity "updates" and "new features".  My suspicion is these issues are unforeseen consequences related to changes on their end.  It's quite clear from this forum (and the same issue on other ones so there are alot more instances of this happening) that this has been happening over a longer time period and might be related to how things are rolled out across the different regions. 

This IS a comcast issue.  I had never had major issues before but now I realize why Comcast consistently has some of the worst customer service ratings of major corporations.

I guess 180$+ per month doesn't buy much nowadays.

This might also explain the issue I have been having trying to work at home and having major problems getting my work MSExchange to work (on a different computer).  I believe we have a failure to communicate between servers (didn't used to have that issue a few months ago, it is new and I didn't have it this week when I was out of town and used same computer but a different ISP to communicate with my corporate network).  

Contributor
sleep_doc1a

Still no access to emails via Windows mail or Droid since yesterday at 3 pm. I can only access my emails via Xfinity. The username and password error is clearly a Comcast problem since dozens of people have reported the program yesterday alone. Comcast has failed to even acknowledge the problem let alone resolve it.

Contributor

I am currently having the same issue.  I changed my password this morning just as a precaution and now I can only access my email via Xfinity Connect. When I changed my password in Outlook and ran the test first it would connect to smtp and send the test email but would not authenticate to pop3.  I than chose to run EasySolve and now it will not authenticate to either smtp or pop3.  This is ridculous.  I know it has nothing to do with my computer or settings because it was working perfectly fine right before I changed my password.

Contributor

BTW, I'm also having the same issue on a second PC.

Contributor
sleep_doc1a

I just spoke with someone in the Comcast Executive Office who has resolved problems for me in the past when the techs could not. He said that Comcast is aware of the problem and he is working on it now.

Regular Contributor

Pehaps this Executive should send a memo to the techs regarding how to handle this.

It is absolutely maddening dealing with tech support on these types of issues, as you can see from the chat extract that I posted. They have you do all the things you already tried and that are not the problem; then they blame the issue on third party software.

Regular Contributor

My previous post from another thread.

"Re: NO Email!

03-27-201208:56 PM

Having the same issue in Minnesota with Windows Live Mail at home and m.comcast.net on my phone. User name or password invalid error. I had the the same thing happen a couple days ago. I was able to restore my email by resetting my password from home. It worked for a few days and then went dead again today. I just reset my password from home again and now it's working but who knows for how long."

Had to reset my password for a THIRD time today.  I see others are reporting that they are able to access their email via webmail when this happens.  That is not the case for me.  I'm unable to access comcast.net to even view my account until I do a password reset.  As others have stated this is only affecting one of my comcast email accounts but it's my main one of course.

If the Comcast Executive Office is aware of the problem and are working on it why is there no sticky thread at the top of this forum stating that?  Some communication would be nice.

New Visitor
sgreffmn

I am also having the login issues.  We cannot login from anywhere Xfinity Connect, smartphone, pc, etc.  I'm on my fourth password and they seem to be lasting a week or less and it's frustrating.

While not 'happy', I am happy to see that I'm not the only one with this issue.  Please help.

Contributor
Kfoste02

I feel the same as all of you!  I have been have password issues since 3/24 and have had to reset my password four different times now.  Funny thing even though I keep resetting my password my old one was still working from my Android phone....go figure.  This is totally a Comcast issue!!

New Visitor

Very similar problem here.

Can log onto my e-mail account via the comcast.net website just fine.  Can NOT log on to e-mail server via Thunderbird or Outlook.

I created a new accoint and that one works just fine via the web OR Thunderbird and Outlook.

There's no doubt in my mind that there's an issue on the Comcast side.

PLEASE TO FIX!!!!

Email Expert
CCCarole

Comcast is aware of these issues.  The Help Forums Administrator is aware as well.  We are waiting to see if/when a fix can be done.  Watch for a reply from a Comcast employee (Their Usernames are always in red text)

CC

New Visitor

Almost the exact exchange I just had. Very frustrating. I don't think they read what we type.