New Visitor
rtgdp

Comcast spam filter

The spam filter that comes with my comcast address sucks and is useless.

I have 25 emails a day I assign as spam and the next day the emails are back.

Email Expert
CCCarole

Re: Comcast spam filter

rtgdp wrote:

The spam filter that comes with my comcast address sucks and is useless.

I have 25 emails a day I assign as spam and the next day the emails are back.

Reporting a message as spam does not mean that it will automatically be added to the spam filters immediately.  It must 'learn' what is actually spam. If the messages are coming from the same email address every day, you can create an email filter under Preferences>Email Filters.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

New Visitor
Raspo

I have never given my Comcast email address to anybody, yet I receive 10 to 20 spam emails everyday. The only person/entity that knows my Comcast email address is Comcast.

Regular Contributor

I've had my email account for over 10 years and have never gotten any spam. All of a sudden 3 days ago I got three messages. 5 or so the next day and even more today. I never use this account for anything but family members and my banking or financial accounts but obviously someone sold the account information to the spammers. What is disappointing is how terrible the spam filter is. The messages are so clearly spam that they should be easily caught. Working in IT I work with a lot of spam filters both software based and appliance based and these would never make it through. Comcast is clearly failing here.
New Visitor
JCB33

The Comcast spam filter was working OK up until a few weeks ago when I suddenly saw a huge increase in incoming junk mail.

Email Expert
Latoque

Raspo wrote:

I have never given my Comcast email address to anybody, yet I receive 10 to 20 spam emails everyday. The only person/entity that knows my Comcast email address is Comcast.

That doesn't mean much.  Spammers use bots that can brute guess millions of possible email addresses in a matter of seconds.  Sooner or later they will hit on some that are actually in use.  I never get any junk mail in my Comcast account, but I get a dozen a day or more in my Yahoo account.  The irony is that the more a mail provider tightens up their filters, the more false negative s they will hit, meaning it becomes more likely that legitimate emails will then get shuffled off into the Spam folder or blocked entirely.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
These are customer to customer support forums. We are paying customers just like you. We volunteer our time to try and help other customers with how-to help, and troubleshoot problems if we can. We can't look at your account. The only Comcast employees in the forums are those with their names in RED.
Email Expert
CCCarole

ALL-

I have notifed the Administrator of all posts about the increase in spam.

However, it is the weekend, so I really don't expect a response until Monday at the earliest... Unless a Comcast Moderator comes into the Forums on his own and sees the posts.

CC

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)

New Visitor
ktf61798387

I too have noticed that the more messages I mark as spam the more spam I get.  I used to get 4-5 spam messages a day (with the comcast email spam filter turned "on").  Now I routinely get 40-50 per day.  The only thing I have changed is the fact that For the last few weeks I have been marking Sapm as "Spam" using the spam button on the top tool bar in the webmail window.  

I "chatted" with someone online (named estrella?sp.) who states that comcast was aware of the situation, and that I sould forward the suspicious spam to "abuse@comcast.net".  But when I do they just all bounce back with:

****PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE****

Thank you for contacting the Comcast Customer Security Assurance team. Unfortunately, we need more information to better understand your issue. Please select the option below that best describes your question. We’ve provided easy instructions to help us resolve your issue.

Comcast Customers:

Non Comcast Customers:

We are focused on providing a secure online experience for all of our customers. Visit Comcast’s Security Channel to get up-to-date information on the latest security threats, products, and services. If you require additional assistance, please contact Customer Security Assurance at (888) 565-4329. We are available to assist you 6:00 am to 2:00 am EST, 7 days a week.

Thank you for choosing Comcast!

Sincerely,
Comcast Customer Security Assurance

© 2012 Comcast | Privacy Statement

=====================================================

Tell me what I should do, or not do.  This spam thing is getting Way out of hand.  

ktf

Email Expert
CCCarole

Have you been following these steps?

How to Report Spam Issues:

Reporting Spam Received in a Comcast Connect Mailbox

Webmail Users

1. Select the message you wish to report as spam.
  2. 'Click' the "Spam" button in the right-hand corner of the Webmail Console

Email Client Users (Outlook Express, Outlook Thunderbird, etc.)

1. Select the message you wish to report as spam.
  2. Forward the spam message as an attachment to missed-spam@comcast.net.

By sending this information, you help us refine our spam filters for the Comcast email system. This helps to prevent spam in the future.

New Visitor
ktf61798387

That is EXACTLY what I had been doing.

Should I continue or stop?

The "Comcast PCUsers" set is particularly annoying.

Has there been a measurable increase of targeted spam?

ktf

New Visitor

[ Edited ]

I agree 100% with you! Comcast probably uses a combination of hardware and software tools to preven Spam and bet you one of those is not working right but they don't even know about it! I don't really use the Comcast web mail client and instead use Outlook on my computer. I know it's Spam because Microsoft sends all those messages to the Outlook Junk Email folder based on criteria but Comcast does not... I actually take the time to click on the Unsuscribe option on the bottom of those emails and believe they do remove my email from their database because it became law to be removed at my request...

Email Expert
Latoque

[ Edited ]

ktf61798387 wrote:

That is EXACTLY what I had been doing.

Should I continue or stop?

The "Comcast PCUsers" set is particularly annoying.

Has there been a measurable increase of targeted spam?

ktf

IF
you are using an email client program like Outlook, Windows Live Mail or Thunderbird, then forward the message to the missed-spam@comcast.net address.  If you are using just the Xfinity webmail, then use the Spam button above the message. 

I generally advise people to not click on an "unsubscribe" link in a spam message, because it confims that your address is valid and active.  The spammer then knows that he has a "Live" one.  You then risk getting even more junk, because once it's confirmed as an active address, it becomes more valuable and will be sold or traded more often than those the spammer gets no feedback from.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
These are customer to customer support forums. We are paying customers just like you. We volunteer our time to try and help other customers with how-to help, and troubleshoot problems if we can. We can't look at your account. The only Comcast employees in the forums are those with their names in RED.
New Visitor
colo320

I setup an account a few months ago that only I know the address.  I use it to forward emails from my primary account to my laptop and smart phone. I never send messages from it.  I have never received a spam message on it until yesterday.  Now I am being swamped with them.    It is very annoying.  At the same time I discovered that the "view entire inbox" link on the web mail page was apparently broken.  It would do nothing. A few minutes ago I discovered the link was once again working.  Im curious to see if the spam continues.  I don't know if there could be a connection between that link and the Spam filter.

Official Employee
ComcastDaveL

We will be rolling out some policy updates today that will address the recent spam floods, and which should result in a noticeable improvement in subscribers' mailboxes.