Contributor

Comcast to Time Warner customer email bouncing

I know the first thing you guys are gonna say is "Contact Timewarner". But wait! Here is what is happening.

RoadRunner has my Primary account working flawlessly. However, they still do NOT have the "sub" accounts working for my family. So the rest of family still rely on comcast webmail. Just last night, I sent an email from my Primary RoadRunner account to my wifes Comcast account and it bounced with:

"Remote-MTA: dnsgateway-r.comcast.net (204.127.198.26)
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 551 not our customer"

If someone could point me to the clue store, I would be happy to purchase one or two. :smileyhappy:
Service Expert
Again

Re: Comcast to Time Warner customer email bouncing

[ Edited ]

kirkb40 wrote:
I know the first thing you guys are gonna say is "Contact Timewarner". But wait! Here is what is happening.

RoadRunner has my Primary account working flawlessly. However, they still do NOT have the "sub" accounts working for my family. So the rest of family still rely on comcast webmail. Just last night, I sent an email from my Primary RoadRunner account to my wifes Comcast account and it bounced with:

"Remote-MTA: dnsgateway-r.comcast.net (204.127.198.26)
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 551 not our customer"

If someone could point me to the clue store, I would be happy to purchase one or two. :smileyhappy:

Have you checked in Account Management at Road Runner to make sure the accounts are there and enabled?  I vaguely remember something in an email or popup screen that said something about enabling secondary accounts.

Login to your account on the Road Runner homepage [and make sure your location is correct - mine doesn't "stick" and I have to reset it periodically].  Click on Help.  In the left panel click on Account Management and then go through the screens until you get to your account listings.  You should see all of your sub accounts there.  You might need to update the status of your sub accounts.

Message Edited by Again on 11-17-200606:27 AM

"When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be."
--- Lao Tzu ---
"Life is not linear. It's all a circle. Our dust becomes the firmament on which the future walks."
--- © James Scott 2014 ---

Email Expert

Again, he's not trying to send to a RR account, he's trying to send to a Comcast account.

The "Not our customer" message means that the account you're trying to send to doesn't exist on Comcast. It sounds to me like Comcast removed the secondary accounts when they migrated your primary account. But this doesn't seem right -- aren't they supposed to enable forwarding for all the old accounts for a year?
Security Expert
CajunTek

Barmar wrote:
Again, he's not trying to send to a RR account, he's trying to send to a Comcast account.

The "Not our customer" message means that the account you're trying to send to doesn't exist on Comcast. It sounds to me like Comcast removed the secondary accounts when they migrated your primary account. But this doesn't seem right -- aren't they supposed to enable forwarding for all the old accounts for a year?

Yes... and I have had no problems, other than the fact that instead of actually forwarding the email and deleting it from the server.. I end up with a copy in web mail of everything that is forwarded to my rr accounts.. apparently my comcast.net accounts (which I don't use anymore) are still active and since I don't download them.. everything sits on the server..
TANSTAAFL!!

Email Expert

I assume they're keeping a local copy when they forward it because they didn't want to force everyone to switch servers all at once. So both old and new settings continue to work, and they're giving customers time to switch.
Security Expert
CajunTek

Barmar wrote:
I assume they're keeping a local copy when they forward it because they didn't want to force everyone to switch servers all at once. So both old and new settings continue to work, and they're giving customers time to switch.

Yeah I think you're right, I didn't notice for a week or so and then found a pot full of email sitting on the comcast server..
TANSTAAFL!!

Service Expert
Again

Barmar wrote:

That may be true, Barmar, but if those accounts are listed at RR as active, they should also be at Comcast as active.  If they're not active in one, they're not going to be active in the other.
--- Lao Tzu ---
"Life is not linear. It's all a circle. Our dust becomes the firmament on which the future walks."

Email Expert

Read his original message again Again. He said that they migrated the primary account over to TW, but haven't yet migrated secondary accounts (he called them "sub-accounts").

Maybe you were confused because his subject line is backward. He's having a problem sending from TW to Comcast, but his subject line says "Comcast to Time Warner").
Service Expert
Again

Barmar wrote:
Read his original message again Again. He said that they migrated the primary account over to TW, but haven't yet migrated secondary accounts (he called them "sub-accounts").

Maybe you were confused because his subject line is backward. He's having a problem sending from TW to Comcast, but his subject line says "Comcast to Time Warner").

Barmar, I'm on Time Warner/Road Runner.  And on Comcast [like most of us in the process of migrating to TW/RR].  I know what he's talking about and I know what I'm talking about.  All I mentioned was he needed to check to make sure that all sub accounts were still listed in BOTH Comcast and TW/RR and ENABLED.  If they're not listed either place, then something happened at Comcast to delete the sub accounts and they weren't migrated to TW/RR, but there isn't anything he can do at Comcast to restore the accounts.

He says of RR, "they still do NOT have the "sub" accounts working for my family. So the rest of family still rely on comcast webmail."   I said, he needs to go to Account Management at RR and see if they are enabled - or even showing.  Now, since you're NOT on RR, you don't know what the migration email said ["We will send [the activation email] this email to all of your Comcast.net email accounts so that you can activate each one."], nor how RR has their account management set up.  RR's Account Management shows you all your sub accounts in one place, and gives you three options for each sub account: Delete User, Update User, and Update Status.

The whole point of his post is that the RR accounts for his family aren't working, so he tried to email them on Comcast and they're not working there, either.  But, since he's no longer a Comcast customer, Comcast cannot give him support, which is why *I* said to check the account status at RR.

Now, where did *I* go wrong on this?

--- Lao Tzu ---

Contributor

Again wrote:

Barmar wrote:

Barmar, I'm on Time Warner/Road Runner. And on Comcast [like most of us in the process of migrating to TW/RR]. I know what he's talking about and I know what I'm talking about. All I mentioned was he needed to check to make sure that all sub accounts were still listed in BOTH Comcast and TW/RR and ENABLED. If they're not listed either place, then something happened at Comcast to delete the sub accounts and they weren't migrated to TW/RR, but there isn't anything he can do at Comcast to restore the accounts.

He says of RR, "they still do NOT have the "sub" accounts working for my family. So the rest of family still rely on comcast webmail." I said, he needs to go to Account Management at RR and see if they are enabled - or even showing. Now, since you're NOT on RR, you don't know what the migration email said ["We will send [the activation email] this email to all of your Comcast.net email accounts so that you can activate each one."], nor how RR has their account management set up. RR's Account Management shows you all your sub accounts in one place, and gives you three options for each sub account: Delete User, Update User, and Update Status.

The whole point of his post is that the RR accounts for his family aren't working, so he tried to email them on Comcast and they're not working there, either. But, since he's no longer a Comcast customer, Comcast cannot give him support, which is why *I* said to check the account status at RR.

Now, where did *I* go wrong on this?

Take it easy guys. I appreciate all the assistance. I understand that I am no longer a comcast customer. What i was trying to figure out was, they(comcast) are suppose to forward to RR for a year. Can we agree on this? If that is true, then why would the comcast email servers give the error above?

And by the way, the accounts show as "enabled" on the RR side. I just checked.