New Visitor
droberts555
Accepted Solution

Copying e-mails from the comcast inbox to a flash drive

I have several sub folders under my inbox, there are a lot of e-mails that are confidential and must be kept, I can print all of them, but I have a a flash drive I would like to copy them to, but I can't figure out how, or if it is possible.  Has anyone ever done this before?  I need to have these files in another safe place, besides on my computer.

Thanks for your help

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Copying e-mails from the comcast inbox to a flash drive

droberts555 wrote:

I have several sub folders under my inbox, there are a lot of e-mails that are confidential and must be kept, I can print all of them, but I have a a flash drive I would like to copy them to, but I can't figure out how, or if it is possible.  Has anyone ever done this before?  I need to have these files in another safe place, besides on my computer.

Thanks for your help

If you're using webmail those emails aren't on your computer, they're on the Comcast server. To get them onto your computer you need to download them via an email client (like Outlook Express, Windows Mail, Thunderbird, etc.). You can then save the email client files to anywhere you want to save them.

An email client can only download the messages that are in the webmail Inbox. So, it's a bit of a process to create folders in the email client and move messages into the appropriate folders, and to move messages in the webmail folders to the webmail Inbox so the email client client can download them.

That's a quick overview, if you want details, just ask.

New Visitor
droberts555

Thank you so much for the advice, I have only used my comcast acct. for e-mail but I will set up my outlook express account now and see if I can get it done.

Thank you again :smileyhappy:

Bronze Problem Solver

droberts555 wrote:

Thank you so much for the advice, I have only used my comcast acct. for e-mail but I will set up my outlook express account now and see if I can get it done.

Thank you again :smileyhappy:

Something to be aware of that I *definitely* should have mentioned. The default behavior of an email client, like Outlook Express, is to delete the messages from the server after downloading them. So, when confguring OE, find, and check, the option to "leave messages on server". Then you can move messages from the "Most Important Emails" webmail folder into the webmail Inbox, download them with OE, and then move them back to the webmail "Most Important Emails" folder after you download them. When fooling with something new, you don't want it to be a "get it right the first time" kind of deal. You can always delete messages from webmail later if that's what you want to do, but it's almost impossible to put messages back into webmail after they've been deleted from the server.