Visitor
finchie

Critical zimlet "comcast_search" error

I am getting a Critical zimlet "comcast_search" error when opening my comcast email account. Once open, I can send and recieve emails, though often I have to log out and back in again. My major malfunction is that I cannot attach anything to an outgoing document.

Ready to pull my hair out and throw Comcast out the window. Can anyone help me?

Official Employee
cc_xc

Re: Critical zimlet "comcast_search" error

What browser are you using?

Contributor

i am getting  this as well

Email Expert
CCCarole

dotleach wrote:

i am getting  this as well

Which browser/version are you using?  Which operating system?

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Visitor
finchie

Sorry, I am pretty much computer illiterate. I am using a Dell XPS running Windows XP.

Contributor

i called the comcast help line, and they had me reset the browser....all fixed!

Official Employee
cc_xc

what do you mean by "reset"?

Contributor

he had me go into some option thing and reset the Internet browser to the default settings.

Official Employee
ComcastKeisha

All,

If you are still having issues please respond. So that I can get your issues resolved.

Thank You
-Keisha-
Contributor

no, since I called and talked to the support person, and reset the browser to the default settings, it has worked fine.  Don't know why it changed in the first place, but all is well now. Thanks.

Visitor
finchie

Yes I am still having this issue. Only now comcast says they are working on it, & my internet is all messed up. I can't actually log in to anything. After entering my password, ; get "done but with errors".
New Visitor

Hi

I like the others continue to get the critical zimlet comcast _search error - when trying to view emails.

suggestions

Thanks

Contributor

see my note above....I called comcast support, the 800 number, and the guy walked me through the steps to reset the default browser.    Try calling and if they don't know, call back and get another support person.  I have not had this trouble again since I did this reset.

Visitor
finchie

What 800 number did you call? I called for helpand they told me someone was working on the issue. I got no assistance. So I downloaded the constant guard again, & that "fixed" the issue. I don't want to use constant guard, but without it, I'm like a fish out of water.
I'm paying a lot for service that doesn't function properly. That gets very old, very quickly.
Contributor

1-800-COMCAST.   The guy I got knew what to do.  I have gone through modem/router problems in the past, and sometimes it took 5 or 6 times to call before I got a person who knew what they were talking about.   On this issue, it was just resetting the Internet Explorer to the default settings of the computer.  It worked, as I said, and it took getting to the right person.

Contributor
golflife

This "Error" is driving me nuts. How did you get Comcast to correct this problem? What in the world is a "zimlet"? " Comcast_search error

Contributor

really...all I did was \call up the 800 number.  the guy stayed on the line, had me go into internet explorer and return it to the default settings.....as I said......try a couple times and see-the guy I talked to the 2nd time knew just what to do. I can't say this is the case for everyone, but it worked for me.  Good luck!

Contributor

okay-if you go onto microsoft.com it tells you how to reset the internet explorer to the default setting.   or you can "search"  reset internet explorer to default settings-and it will bring up the Microsoft website.  it talks about "incompatibility might cause the problem" and tells you what to do.  I bet the guy i talked to knew the microsoft product, and not just Comcast.  Good luck....let me know.

Contributor
golflife

Are you talking about resetting the Internet Explorer settings? When you do that it just abouts deleting everything. The Internet Explorer default must be different, but I want to make sure. This error is worst than an unruleable wife, golflife 

Contributor
golflife

To bad about Auburn, but I still need help with this itch of an "error'. Please help golflife

Contributor

I really don't know that much about it...just did what the guy told me...maybe you need to talk to a local computer repair place and see what they say-or keep calling comcast.  Wish I could be of more help.

Contributor
golflife

ComcastKeisha please help us get rid of this itch!

New Visitor

Having the same issue on one of our 3 computers. How do I fix?

Official Employee
ComcastKeisha

---

I have responded to your PM.

Thank You
-Keisha-
Official Employee
ComcastKeisha

---

I have received your PM and I have escalated your issue and someone will be in contact with you soon.

Thank You
-Keisha-
Contributor
golflife

The Answer to the Critical zimlet "comcast_ search" rittle,  is to use Mozilla as a browser to open e-mails or do the Internet Explorer "resetting the original setting" dafaults. I talk to Comcast and they suggested do one of the other. I found if you use MSN, Yahoo, Micro, or any other type of opener, you still get the error. There must be a way to elimate that error with some other method. Golflife

Contributor
golflife

I was wrong about using Mozilla as a browser to open Xfinity e-mail. Further testing proved that Mozilla would not always open with out the zimlet error, only occasionally, a bomber. It's the Xtinity tool bar that bringing out the error which is tied to Xtinity which is an add-on, but not to the real Comcast tool bar. You must open that e-mail with a Chrome browser that shows Comcast on it's Favorite Bar, or MSN's, but Msn sometimes shows Xfinity tool bar and not Comcast. Why I don't know. It just does it. For goodness sake, don't reset Windows Internet Explorer unless you want to start from scratch! Stay away from that Xfinity toor bar,. Contact me if you don't understand this method! Cataloochee

Contributor
golflife

These will works if you use Comcast.net to open! Cataloochee

New Visitor
kcrowley114

whats happening with this same error

Contributor
golflife

This error is totally Comcast's problem. They should fix it, but they must not know how. It has something to with an an-on that they made somewhere in their system. I get good results when i open with Comcast.net and not with Xfinity.net. My computer man explained this to me and demonstrated using only Comcast.net. Hr recommended not using Xfinity Tool Bar to open. We also went to Internet Explorer 9 and deleted 8 and stayed with Window's 7 the Home Edition. I now open with Google Chrome and stayed with Internet Explorer  as the default browser. Hope this helps! Cataloochee

New Visitor
AAEE1976

I am having the same problem with the Zimlet message and am becoming very fustrating in finding an answer.  Help? Is this connecting with the Explorer 9 so-called upgrade?

Contributor
siaeng

For IE8 :

- Click on "TOOLS"

- Click on "INTERNET OPTIONS"

- Click on "ADVANCED"

- Click on "RESET ADVANCED SETTINGS"

- Click on "RESET"

That'll reset all to IE default settings.

Close out IE and open new.

Contributor

Yes!  that's what I was told back in September by the Comcast support person.  I just could not remember what he told me in order to share with others.  Thanks for the person who posted this.  It worked for me in September, and no problems since.

New Visitor

I have the error  but my e-mails are there but can't read the. If you go homr you can read one mail and thats it you have go back to home section for each e-mail. I need help so I could read all my e-mails

New Visitor
merati

You may not need to do all this, Just think you uninstall and reinstalling internet Explore

In past if you have update your internet Explore to 7 or 8 from 6 without un-installing 6 (Microsoft windows Service Pack 3) the browser Will not function properly. After you did the fallowing, come back to you desk top and double click on your internet Explorer icon. This automatically will load version No. 7. Fallow through. Last right click on icon on you desk top, Properties-Advance-reset.

Hopefully this should take care of you problem.

Mike

Before you perform a repair installation of Microsoft Windows XP, you must uninstall Windows Internet Explorer 7 or Windows Internet Explorer 8 from the Windows XP-based computer. If you perform a repair installation of Windows XP when a later version of Internet Explorer is still installed, Internet Explorer will not work after the repair is completed.

To resolve this issue, uninstall the later version of Internet Explorer from the computer, and then install Internet Explorer 6. After Windows XP is repaired, you can reinstall the later version of Internet Explorer.

For more information about reinstalling Internet Explorer if you have already repaired Windows XP, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

318378  (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378/ ) How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer in Windows XP

Before you perform a repair installation of Windows XP, you must uninstall any later version of Internet Explorer. If you do not uninstall the later version of Internet Explorer in this situation, Internet Explorer will no longer work after the repair installation of Windows XP is completed. Specifically, the repair installation does not restore earlier versions of the files in the Program Files\Internet Explorer folder. Therefore, the later version files for Internet Explorer will be incompatible with the Internet Explorer 6 files that are installed in the Windows\System32 folder when you repair the Windows XP installation.

Back to the top

If you performed a repair installation of Windows XP but did not uninstall any later version of Internet Explorer, Internet Explorer will not run. To troubleshoot this issue, follow these steps.

Back to the top

Verify the version of Windows XP that is installed on the computer

1. Click Start, click Run, type Winver.exe in the Open box, and then click OK.
  2. In the About Windows dialog box, verify the version of Windows XP that is installed on the computer.

Back to the top

If Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) or Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) is installed on the computer

If Windows XP SP2 or Windows XP SP3 is installed on the computer, uninstall the later version of Internet Explorer. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, click Run, type appwiz.cpl in the Open box, and then click OK.
  2. In the Currently installed programs list, click Windows Internet Explorer 7, or click Windows Internet Explorer 8, and then click Remove.

If Internet Explorer is not listed in the Currently installed programs list, follow these steps:

1. Restart the computer in the Recovery Console. For more information about how to use the Recovery Console, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

307654  (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654/ ) How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP

1. Type the following commands, and then press ENTER after each command:

For Windows Internet Explorer 8

CD ie8\spuninst
batch Spuninst.txt

For Windows Internet Explorer 7

CD ie7\spuninst
batch Spuninst.txt

Back to the top

If Windows XP SP2 or Windows XP SP3 is not installed on the computer

If Windows XP SP2 or Windows XP SP3 is not installed on the computer, uninstall the later version of Internet Explorer. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, click Run, type appwiz.cpl in the Open box, and then click OK.
  2. In the Currently installed programs list, click Internet Explorer 7 or click Internet Explorer 8, and then click Remove.

If Internet Explorer is not listed in the Currently installed programs list, follow these steps:

1. Open a command prompt.
  2. Type the following commands, and then press ENTER after each command:

cd \Windows\ie8\Spuninst
batch Spuninst.txt

Note The ie8 folder is a hidden folder.

cd \Windows\ie7\Spuninst
batch Spuninst.txt

Note The ie7 folder is a hidden folder.

If Internet Explorer cannot be uninstalled, but if the Windows\ie7\Spuninst folder or the Windows\ie8\Spuninst folder exists, uninstall Internet Explorer in the Recovery Console. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Restart the computer in the Recovery Console. For more information about how to use the Recovery Console, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

307654  (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654/ ) How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP

1. Type the following commands, and then press ENTER after each command:

CD ie8\spuninst
batch Spuninst.txt

CD ie7\spuninst
batch Spuninst.txt

1. Insert the Windows XP installation CD into the computer's CD drive, and then restart the computer.
  2. Perform a Repair installation of Windows XP. After the Repair installation process is complete, start Internet Explorer 6, and then make sure that it works.
  3. Install the latest service pack for Windows XP.
    For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

322389  (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389/ ) How to obtain the latest Windows XP service pack

Back to the top

Reinstall the later version of Internet Explorer

When Windows XP has been repaired and is running correctly, reinstall the later version of Internet Explorer. To reinstall Internet Explorer 7 or Internet Explorer 8, you must have the Internet Explorer installation package. This installation package may still be on the computer from the first time that you installed the later version of Internet Explorer. Locate the installation package in the folder in which you saved the files.

Note This package may be located in the Temporary Internet Files folder.

If you cannot locate the Internet Explorer installation package, visit the following Microsoft Web site to obtain the latest version of Internet Explorer:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/default.mspx (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/default.mspx)

To connect to the Microsoft download site, you must have a functional Web browser. If Internet Explorer 6 does not work on the computer after you uninstall the later version of Internet Explorer, you cannot download the Internet Explorer installation package. Therefore, you will have to use a computer that has a functional Web browser to download the Internet Explorer installation package. Then, use a shared network drive to install the program from the downloaded installation package on this other computer onto the repaired computer. If you cannot use a shared network for this purpose, copy the Internet Explorer installation package onto a CD on the second computer. Then, use this CD to install Internet Explorer on the first computer.

If you need help about how to install, reinstall, or uninstall Windows, visit the following Microsoft Web site:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/install-reinstall-uninstall

(http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/install-reinstall-uninstall)

Article ID: 307654 - Last Review: December 9, 2011 - Revision: 12.0

How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP

View products that this article applies to.

This article was previously published under Q307654

To continue receiving security updates for Windows, make sure you're running Windows XP with Service Pack 3 (SP3). For more information, refer to this Microsoft web page: Support is ending for some versions of Windows

We recommend that you use the Recovery Console only after Safe mode and other startup options do not work. The Recovery Console is recommended only if you are an advanced user who can use basic commands to identify and locate problem drivers and files. Additionally, you must be an administrator to use the Recovery Console.

There are two ways to start the Recovery Console:

• If you cannot start your Windows and the Recovery Console has not been installed on your computer before, you can run the Recovery Console from your Setup CD.
    Click "How to use the Recovery Console" for detailed information.
  • Alternative, you can install the Recovery Console on your computer to make it available in case that you cannot restart Windows. You can then select the Recovery Console option from the list of available operating systems on startup.
    Click "How to install the Recovery Console" for detailed information.

How to install the Recovery Console

You can install the Recovery Console on your computer to make it available in case that you cannot restart Windows. You can then select the Recovery Console option from the list of available operating systems during startup. The Recovery Console is recommended to be installed on important servers and on the workstations of IT personnel. This article describes how to install the Recovery Console to the Windows XP-based computer. To install the Recovery Console, you must be logged on as an administrator.

Although you can run the Recovery Console by starting directly from the Windows XP CD, generally, it is more convenient to set it up as a startup option on your startup menu. To run the Recover Console directly from the CD, see the "How to use the Recovery Console" section.

To install the Recovery Console, follow these steps:

1. Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD drive.

2. Click Start, and then click Run.

3. In the Open box, type d:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons where d is the drive letter for the CD drive. For Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, type d:\amd64\winnt32.exe /cmdcons where d is the drive letter for the CD drive.

4. A Windows Setup Dialog Box appears. The Windows Setup Dialog Box describes the Recovery Console option. To confirm the installation, click Yes.

1. Console option. To confirm the installation, click Yes.

Collapse this imageExpand this image

2. Restart the computer. The next time that you start your computer, "Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" appears on the startup menu.

Alternatively, you can use a Universal Naming Convention (UNC)-established connection to install the Recovery Console from a network share point.

Note You may receive an error message that is similar the following:

Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is newer than the version on the CD.

If this problem occurs, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

898594 You receive an error message if you try to install the Recovery Console on a Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2-based computer

Was this information helpful? Please send us your feedback

Back to the top

How to use the Recovery Console

You can enable and disable services, format drives, read and write data on a local drive (including drives that are formatted to use the NTFS file system), and perform many other administrative tasks. The Recovery Console is very useful if you have to repair your computer by copying a file from a disk or CD-ROM to your hard disk, or if you have to reconfigure a service that is preventing your computer from starting correctly.

If you cannot start your Windows, you can run the Recovery Console from the Windows XP startup disks or the Windows XP CD-ROM.

After Windows XP is installed on your computer, to start the computer and use the Recovery Console. The Windows XP startup disks or the Windows XP CD-ROM are required.

For more information about how to create Startup disks for Windows XP (they are not included with Windows XP), click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

310994 Obtaining Windows XP Setup boot disks

Note To start the computer from the Windows XP CD-ROM, you must configure the basic input/output system (BIOS) of the computer to start from your CD-ROM.

To run the Recovery Console from the Windows XP startup disks or the Windows XP CD-ROM, follow these steps:

1. Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD drive, and then restart the computer.

Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted.

2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.

3. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console.

4. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

5. At the command prompt, type the appropriate commands to diagnose and repair your Windows XP installation.

For a list of commands that are available in Recovery Console, type recovery console commands or help at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

For information about a specific command, type help commandname at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

6. To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

Back to the top

How to use the Recovery Console command prompt

When you use the Recovery Console, you are working at a special command prompt instead of the ordinary Windows command prompt. The Recovery Console has its own command interpreter. To enter this command interpreter, you are prompted by Recovery Console to type the local Administrator password.

When the Recovery Console starts, you can press F6 to install a third-party SCSI or RAID driver, in case that you need such a driver to access the hard disk. This prompt works the same as it does during installation of the operating system.

The Recovery Console takes several seconds to start. When the Recovery Console menu appears, a numbered list of the Windows installations on the computer appears. (Generally, only c:\Windows exists.) Press a number before you press ENTER, even when only one entry appears. If you press ENTER without selecting a number, the computer restarts and starts the process again.

Click to expand this image

When you see the prompt for %SystemRoot% (generally C:\Windows), you can start to use the available commands for the Recovery Console.

Back to the top

Command actions

The following list describes the available commands for the Recovery Console:

Click here to view or hide detailed information

• ·Attrib changes attributes on one file or subdirectory.
  • ·Batch executes commands that you specify in the text file, Inputfile. Outputfile holds the output of the commands. If you omit the Outputfile parameter, output appears on the screen.
  • ·Bootcfg modifies the Boot.ini file for boot configuration and recovery.
  • ·CD (Chdir) operates only in the system directories of the current Windows installation, removable media, the root directory of any hard disk partition, or the local installation sources.
  • ·Chkdsk The /p switch runs Chkdsk even if the drive is not flagged as dirty. The /r switch locates bad sectors and recovers readable information. This switch implies /p. Chkdsk requires Autochk. Chkdsk automatically looks for Autochk.exe in the startup folder. If Chkdsk cannot find the file in the startup folder, it looks for the Windows 2000 Setup CD-ROM. If Chkdsk cannot find the installation CD-ROM, Chkdsk prompts the user for the location of Autochk.exe.
  • ·Cls clears the screen.
  • ·Copy copies one file to a target location. By default, the target cannot be removable media, and you cannot use wildcard characters. Copying a compressed file from the Windows 2000 Setup CD-ROM automatically decompresses the file.
  • ·Del (Delete) deletes one file. Operates within the system directories of the current Windows installation, removable media, the root directory of any hard disk partition, or the local installation sources. By default, you cannot use wildcard characters.
  • ·Dir displays a list of all files, including hidden and system files.
  • ·Disable disables a Windows system service or driver. The variable service_or_driver is the name of the service or driver that you want to disable. When you use this command to disable a service, the command displays the service's original startup type before it changes the type to SERVICE_DISABLED. Note the original startup type so that you can use the enable command to restart the service.
  • ·Diskpart manages partitions on hard disk volumes. The /add option creates a new partition. The /delete option deletes an existing partition. The variable device is the device name for a new partition (such as \device\harddisk0). The variable drive is the drive letter for a partition that you are deleting (for example, D). Partition is the partition-based name for a partition that you are deleting, (for example: \device\harddisk0\partition1) and can be used instead of the drive variable. The variable size is the size, in megabytes, of a new partition.
  • ·Enable enables a Windows system service or driver. The variable service_or_driver is the name of the service or driver that you want to enable, and start_type is the startup type for an enabled service. The startup type uses one of the following formats:

SERVICE_BOOT_START
SERVICE_SYSTEM_START
SERVICE_AUTO_START
SERVICE_DEMAND_START

• ·Exit quits the Recovery Console, and then restarts the computer.
  • ·Expand expands a compressed file. The variable source is the file that you want to expand. By default, you cannot use wildcard characters. The variable destination is the directory for the new file. By default, the destination cannot be removable media and cannot be read-only. You can use the attrib command to remove the read-only attribute from the destination directory. The option /f:filespec is required if the source contains more than one file. This option permits wildcard characters. The /y switch disables the overwrite confirmation prompt. The /d switch specifies that the files will not be expanded and displays a directory of the files in the source.
  • ·Fixboot writes a new startup sector on the system partition.
  • ·Fixmbr repairs the startup partition's master boot code. The variable device is an optional name that specifies the device that requires a new Master Boot Record. Omit this variable when the target is the startup device.
  • ·Format formats a disk. The /q switch performs a quick format. The /fs switch specifies the file system.
  • ·Help If you do not use the command variable to specify a command, help lists all the commands that the Recovery Console supports.
  • ·Listsvc displays all available services and drivers on the computer.
  • ·Logon displays detected installations of Windows and requests the local Administrator password for those installations. Use this command to move to another installation or subdirectory.
  • ·Map displays currently active device mappings. Include the arc option to specify the use of Advanced RISC Computing (ARC) paths (the format for Boot.ini) instead of Windows device paths.
  • ·MD (Mkdir) operates only within the system directories of the current Windows installation, removable media, the root directory of any hard disk partition, or the local installation sources.
  • ·More/Type displays the specified text file on screen.
  • ·Rd (Rmdir) operates only within the system directories of the current Windows installation, removable media, the root directory of any hard disk partition, or the local installation sources.
  • ·Ren (Rename) operates only within the system directories of the current Windows installation, removable media, the root directory of any hard disk partition, or the local installation sources. You cannot specify a new drive or path as the target.
  • ·Set displays and sets the Recovery Console environment variables.
  • ·Systemroot sets the current directory to %SystemRoot%.

Back to the top

Recovery Console rules

Several environment rules are in effect while you are working in the Recovery Console. Type set to see the current environment. By default, these are the rules:

• ·AllowAllPaths = FALSE prevents access to directories and subdirectories outside the system installation that you selected when you entered the Recovery Console.
  • ·AllowRemovableMedia = FALSE prevents access to removable media as a target for copied files.
  • ·AllowWildCards = FALSE prevents wildcard support for commands such as copy and del.
  • ·NoCopyPrompt = FALSE means that you are prompted by the Recovery Console for confirmation when overwriting an existing file.

Back to the top

How to delete the Recovery Console

To delete the Recovery Console:

1.Restart your computer, click Start, click My Computer, and then double-click the hard disk where you installed the Recovery Console.

2.On the Tools menu, click Folder Options, and then click the View tab.

3.Click Show hidden files and folders, click to clear the Hide protected operating system files check box, and then click OK.

4.At the root folder, delete the Cmdcons folder and the Cmldr file.

5.At the root folder, right-click the Boot.ini file, and then click Properties.

6.Click to clear the Read-only check box, and then click OK.

Warning: Modifying the Boot.ini file incorrectly may prevent your computer from restarting. Make sure that you delete only the entry for the Recovery Console. Also, change the attribute for the Boot.ini file back to a read-only state after you finish this procedure. Open the Boot.ini file in Microsoft Windows Notepad, and remove the entry for the Recovery Console. It looks similar to this:

C:\cmdcons\bootsect.dat="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons

7.Save the file and close it.

Back to the top

How to install Recovery Console during an unattended installation

To install the Recovery Console during the unattended installation of Windows, you must use the [GuiRunOnce] section of the unattend.txt file.

Command1="path\winnt32 /cmdcons /unattend"

For more information about how to use the Unattend.txt file, see the Deployment Planning Guide of the Windows 2000 Server Resource Kit.

Back to the top

REFERENCES

You can use Group Policy to change the rules and expand the power that you have...

You can use Group Policy to change the rules and expand the power that you have in the Recovery Console.

For more information about how to do this, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

310497 How to use Group Policies to add more power to the Recovery Console

For more information about Windows XP Recovery Console, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

314058 Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console for advanced users

Contributor
siaeng

To fix do the following:

For IE8 :

- Click on "TOOLS"

- Click on "INTERNET OPTIONS"

- Click on "ADVANCED"

- Click on "RESET ADVANCED SETTINGS"

- Click on "RESET"

That'll reset all to IE default settings.

Close out IE and open new.

New Visitor
purplerooster51

Thank you all so much for your information about this error.  For the past two months I have been calling Comcast about this, only to have 15 tech service numbers with no resolve.  I read all your responses went to microsoft.com and reset internet explorer.  Problem solved!!!!  Thank you so much!!!!

New Visitor
lonewolfletteri

I also am getting the ssame!!!

Email Expert
CCCarole

Did you read any of the posts above yours?

See this clickable link: http://forums.comcast.com/t5/E-Mail-and-Xfinity-Connect-Help/ZIMLET-SEARCH-ERROR-ISSUE/m-p/1402019#U...

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)

New Visitor
Astro30

I am also having the problem when I open an email, I get the Critical Error occured while initiating the Zimlet "comcast_search". The only way to get to my email after that pop up is to close it. I have clicked the report button many times and it is still happening. I run the Full, not the Lite version of Comcast mail, and I am running a Windows 8 OS. I have already reset the browser, and that does nothing for me. Whats up with this??!

New Visitor
Astro30

This process Does NOT work with Windows 8.. Tried it already...

New Visitor
sls21

When opening my email zimlet "comcast_search" pops up

Email Expert
CCCarole

sls21 wrote:

When opening my email zimlet "comcast_search" pops up

Which browser/ version are you using?

Have you:

Cleared your browser cache?

Reset your browser to the default settings?

Enabled Compatibility View?

Checked your AddOn's if using Internet Explorer?

Disable all add-ons in IE (Tools -> Manage Ad-ons, select each add-on and click disable), then RESTART IE to see if the error goes away.  If the error does go away then you can then do the following to determine which add-on is causing the problem.

1) enable one of the previously disabled add-ons (Tools -> Manage Ad-ons, select an add-on and click enable)

2) restart the browser

3) re-open the browser and goto comcast.net email to see if you get the error again

repeat steps 1-3 until you get the error again

once you get the error you will know that the last add-on enable was the one that caused the problem.

If an add-on is greyed out and unable to be disabled from the menu, then you'll need to go to control panel and uninstall the program that installed the rogue add-on.

Email Expert
CCCarole

Moved to it's own thread because it is a different issue than the original thread. Click on the blue link to see your post please.

New Visitor

OSX 10.9.2

I can't see images, such as maps or news videos.  Have reset modem with no change.