New Visitor

Duplication of downloaded emails

I use Microsoft Office for MAC to manage my emails. They are automatically downloaded from the Comcast server. Usually only the new emails are downloaded. On multiple occasions all of my emails on the server are downloaded again. I think Comcast makes some sort of system change which makes the emails show as new so everything is downloaded again. This is a huge hassle. What can be done about it?

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Duplication of downloaded emails

Parkey wrote:

I use Microsoft Office for MAC to manage my emails. They are automatically downloaded from the Comcast server. Usually only the new emails are downloaded. On multiple occasions all of my emails on the server are downloaded again.

How many emails?

I think Comcast makes some sort of system change which makes the emails show as new so everything is downloaded again.

It's possible, but I'd guess it's more likely that things are going wrong at your end. It's your email client that keeps track of previously downloaded messages; the server knows nothing about which messages are "new", or have been previously downloaded. It does that by downloading the Unique ID for each message on the server, and comparing those UIDs to the UIDs it has stored from the previous download. It's possible that the server is changing the values of the UIDs, thereby triggering the redownloading, but I've only heard of that happening once a few years ago when Comcast did a major overhaul of the servers, and it seemingly affected everybody. So I'd guess it's more likely that files are getting corrupted at your end, or maybe there's lots of messages on the server, more than your client can handle. Or something along those lines.

This is a huge hassle. What can be done about it?

If it seems the problem might be about too many messages stored on the server, you can login to webmail, create a new folder, and move a bunch of messages out of the Inbox into the new folder. Email clients only download the messages that are in the webmail Inbox.