Contributor

E-Mail Trouble.

I'm having trouble retrieving my e-mail from the comcast servers. I have checked the settings and they are correct. The error message I get is very vaigule. It states "Their is a POP3 error contact your system administrator" That message appears with Netscape mail version 4.7. I have also tried Mozilla mail 1.4 and get a similar but more verbose message of "POP3 mail error: account in use" I have been getting this message for about three weeks and was told by comcast that it was a problem steming from the soBig virus.. I would appreciate any help any of you can give me..

Chris
Regular Contributor

Re: E-Mail Trouble.

Have you tried setting up your account in Outlook Express?
It is a good, user friendly program.
Networking Expert
Baric

Whoever told you that is incorrect. You can get this error if some else (or you on another program) is accessing your inbox at the same time, but this is kind of unusual. If you inbox has remained open and locked for 3 weeks, that's a server error. Can't imagine lettng 2 weeks go by without screaming long and hard.

Most likely scenario here is you have a problem with your settings. Why don't you post them and we'll take a look.
New Visitor

OutLook Express is Microsoft Crap!!!!
Contributor

It has been a few weeks. The reason that I haven't screamed long and hard is that I have been busy with my classes and decided to adapt and use the webmail. As for MS Outlook. I have it and hate it.. I think it's on the server side, but since I can't get through the CSR front line to get some one that might get it fixed it seems that I am doomed..
Networking Expert
Baric

I've got Mozilla here and Netscape 7.1 and it works fine. You just have to configure it properly. Post your settings.
Regular Contributor

Outlook and Outlook Express are definatley more user friendly than most of the other email programs available to you. No matter what program you have the settings wil be the same.
Incoming server is a POP3 server
Incoming address is.. mail.comcast.net
Outgoing server is.. smtp.comcast.net
Of course your email address and the correct password for the email address. Try having the password reset for the email and see what happens. You may also want to try deleting and recreating the account in your email program. This troubleshooting step seems to work quite often.
Contributor

I have done all of the above, and all of my settings are correct. I will try and have my password reset, but that shouldn't effect it because I'm not having trouble getting in via the webmail which should be comparing the password I enter to the exact same database that the POP3 is looking at. I will try the CSR one more time..

Chris
Regular Contributor

You are right. If the password works in webmail it should work in the email program. I think you can agree that the problem is with the program not the Comcast server.
Contributor

I don't think I can agree nor assume to it being client side rather than server side. I have tried multiple applications (including just now installing and trying Eudora) of which all have failed. The message that I am getting with Eudora is that the "connection closed by foreign host". That might make you think that I may have another e-mail application open but I have made sure that I don't have a single e-mail app open. The only thing that I can think is that their might be a process on the e-mail server in a loop, that would more than likely cause me not to have any access to my mail plus I would assume that the process would have timed out..

Thanks for all of the help. I hope we/I can get to the bottom of this soon..

Chris..
Regular Contributor

It is strange, that's for sure. The problem isnt that you dont have access to the server because at any given time you can send/recieve in the webmail, right? It's probably a firewall or antivirus. I mean, your email works, there's no question about that. A firewall or antivirus would be the logical reason for an error like that to come up in every mail program. Do you have a firewall or antivirus software??
New Visitor

no the trouble is with comcast
Most Valued Poster

> It is strange, that's for sure. The problem isnt that
> you dont have access to the server because at any
> given time you can send/recieve in the webmail,
> right?

Webmail uses a different interface to mailbox and doesn't tell you anything about pop connections.
New Visitor

I am having this problem also, the process goes like this

Connect, OK <--not a connection problem
Authenticate, OK <-- not a password problem
Receive list of messages, OK
Get Email 1 of 37, Failed <--hangs, never gets anything

When it tries to download the first message it times out, the server says it's sending the email, but never sends any data, then it drops the socket, this is through outlook express, webmail works just fine, so I can access it for now, but I need express to work, and quickly.
Most Valued Poster
Most Valued Poster

Sounds like that first email is corrupt... try moving it to another folder (out of your inbox) and then see if OE can get the remaining email.
Regular Contributor

Email # 1 or 2 is corrupt. Delete from the webmail and you will be able to bring the rest into OE.
New Visitor

I noted that you are a Netscape user. So am I. I hope that you can help me. Last week I stopped being able to send email. I get a 'failure to attach to smtp server' message. I have no idea why I suddenly stopped being able to send messages. No changes had been made to my system.

I have checked my outgoing server settings. It set to smtp.comcast.net. Should I set the port? It was not set in the past but worked fine. Should I check username? It was checked in the past without a user name filled in and it worked fine. Since I have been unable to send email, I have tried all combinations of port set/not set, user name checked /unchecked etc, but nothing works.

Comcast refuses to help me other than giving me references to settings which were all right in the first place. I would be most grateful for any help you can offer.
New Visitor

I had this problem before and I changed my receive mail setting to pop3.comcast.net and it works. When I use mail.comcast.net it acts flaky and does not always connect.
Recognized Contributor

Try POP 3 port 110.
Outgoing smtp port 25
Check username
outgoing -smtp.comcast.net
POP3 - mail.comcast.net
Set as default,and 'always use default server'
Regular Contributor

Your "Outgoing Server (SMTP)" settings should be:

Server Name: smtp.comcast.net
Port:
User name and password: checked
User Name:
Use secure connection: Always

Works for me.
New Visitor

I have my settings configured as per Kraxin (above). Still can't send email. Any other ideas?
Most Valued Poster

pop3.comcast.net & mail.comcast.net are the same thing

NSLOOKUP OF THESE TWO NAMES

Name: mail.comcast.net
Addresses: 204.127.198.10, 63.240.76.10, 216.148.227.80, 204.127.202.10
Aliases: pop3.comcast.net
Regular Contributor

What's the exact error message?
Regular Contributor

As ComcATT said, these two names are identical to each one, the pop3 version is merely an alias of mail.comcast.net. Never rely on pop3.comcast.net, Comcast can do away with it or change it ay any time and then you will be broken. Any perceived benefit of using the alias is purely coincidence.
New Visitor

This is the error message that I receive:

Sending of message failed.

An error occurred sending mail. Unable to connect to SMTP to %S. The server may be down or may be configured incorrectly. Please verify that your Mail/News account settings are correct and try again.

This problem began last Thursday and no amount of checking and changing the settings has helped.
Regular Contributor

Anonymous said:
> An error occurred sending mail. Unable to
> connect to SMTP to %S.

This is bad. %S is a C-style string format specifier. Don't know how Netscape is using this internally, but I would guess that your SMTP server is improperly specified or you have some sort of corruption issue. Make a new SMTP account, make it the default, delete the first one. Then try it again.
New Visitor

How do I make a new smtp account? and what should it say? I mean if it says the same as the old one (smtp.comcast.net , do I make another one that says the same thing and specify it as the default?
Regular Contributor

Change the name first by pointing at some bogus server name. Then make the second entry pointing at smtp.comcast.net. Make that one the default, and delete the first one. Simple.
Regular Contributor

Early in the thread there was a mention that the problem was blamed on a virus. No mention was made of what effort may have been made to ensure that the system has not been affected by a virus or worm. If up to date antivirus software has not been used on the system, Trend Micro has a free online antivirus tool called HouseCall at
www.pc-cillin.com. Just a thought.
Regular Contributor

Netscape is owned by AOL. Using Netscape is no longer the geeky rebellion it once was.
New Visitor

I have screamed loud and long about the lack of email, but Comcast is playing dumb about the problem. There are seven people where I work and all are experiencing problems with their Comcast email. There are hundreds of writers to this forum with the same problems. Everyone has a "fix", but nothing works. (for long). I'm finally going to do what everyone at work is doing....change ISP's. Comcast is just to damn dumb!
New Visitor

I use Netscape 7.02 and here's the solution I found for the "can't send mail" problem. I had to go to the Advanced window under Account Settings to reset the outgoing server.
This is very confusing because the Account Settings window deals only with the incoming server and there is a separate pick in the menu for account settings (which I had already changed. Apparently the setting under Account Settings > Advanced has priority. Very bad interface design on Netscape's part.....but how did all of our settings get changed ???
New Visitor

I made a new server name, but the problem persists. I am beginning to feel hopeless about this, but I do thank you for your attempts to help.
Regular Contributor

I'd remove Netscape, then reinstall.
New Visitor

I reinstalled Netscape earlier today, but I did not remove it first. If I remove it can I save my profiles and email files?
New Visitor

We have been experiencing the same problem using outlook express. As well as MS Outlook, & Eudora. We dont believe in Netscape since they started charging for something that we could get for free. We also shouldn't have to create bogus accounts for something that should just work. I think comcast should give their broadband service to people who know how to administer such simple things.
New Visitor

I'm having the exact same issue. It's not my settings. I've tried 3 different mail programs. It's not my firewall or anti-virus. Just started last night and I'm already about to scream.
New Visitor

I am getting repeated email messages sent over the server every night. I always get the same 20 messages and then the following error appears...

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'mail.comcast.net', Server: 'mail.comcast.net', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '+OK', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

I assume that there is a worm or other such critter loose in the Comcast mail server. I regularly keep my AV signatures up to date so I don't think my computer is infected. Any ideas?
New Visitor

Had the same problem with OE and OE Express several weeks back. The problem was persistent for nearly 5 weeks. Comcast tech support was of little help - they blamed Firewalls, OE, Microsoft - something different on each occasion.
If I set up a new Comcast email account - same deal. I worked with Microsoft and allowed them access to the new, test account and they could not access it either.
As painful as it sounds, the only way to get back in was to reconstruct my entire system from scratch. Later I found out that Comcast had two separate account numbers associated with my Name and the email accounts were associated with this new second account, which began with 999 (not typical) and was missing a digit, only 15 digits versus the standard 16 digit number. I've heard nothing back from Comcast since opening the case some 3 weeks ago. Technically they blow, from a customer service standpoint they hide and from a service provider angle they are probably typical. When my promotional period ends I'm shutting off the service - Comcast broadband makes cable tv providers look like winners.
New Visitor

We are getting the same error message 0x800CCC0F and haven't received any e-mail since last Thursday except a couple of spam e-mails and two I sent to our own e-mail address tonight. Any body else have suggestions?
Most Valued Poster

PJ wrote:
Sounds like that first email is corrupt... try moving it to another folder (out of your inbox) and then see if OE can get the remaining email.

I had the same problem with my e-mail some time back. I reinstalled my e-mail program (that I have used forever without a problem) and voila, it worked.

Indeed, something had obviously become corrupted and I did lose some e-mail in my INbox. So save any important info before re-installing. In fact, save it in a backup file regardless.

Meanwhile, take note that Comcast is apparently dealing with e-mail problems across the board right now.

Good luck!
New Visitor

I am having the same problem with outlook and have tried all the things posted here disabled firewall, deleted account from outlook and re entered, deleted mail from both in boxes comcast and outlook I still get the message recieving 2 of 21 then freezes up!!!!
New Visitor

I'm having the same e-mail trouble in Atlanta
New Visitor

same in detroit....
unable to connect to server. (account: 'mail.comcast.net', SMTP Server:'smtp.comcast.net', Error Number: 0x800ccc0e)
this is using Outlook...have to log in to Comcast "Central" to recieve mail.....
never had this problem with other servers i've used
Most Valued Poster

1. Log into Comcast Webmail
2. Move all your messages from the inbox and put them into a different folder. {Create a folder there if you need to}
3. Once the messages are gone from your inbox @WEBMAIL, open up OE/Outlook/netscape..... you will notice that email errors go away.
4. Now that the error is gone, we know that it is not the server, but in fact and error with a corrupted message on the server.
5. Start moving your messages back into your inbox, then download them to your computer ( send/receive in OE, MS Outlook, ..... )

You will eventually get to a point where one ( or more ) messages will be causing the " timeout,unexpected termination error etc.... "
delete these messages and you'll be fine again

( at least until another corrupt message gets in there )

GOOD LUCK!!!!
New Visitor

i deleted all of my messages from comcast email and it still didn't work!
Most Valued Poster

> dont believe in Netscape since they started charging
> for something that we could get for free.

Netscape has always been free. Just download and install.
If MS to had to put IE shrink wrap in stores, they'd charge for that too.
Most Valued Poster

> Netscape is owned by AOL. Using Netscape is no
> longer the geeky rebellion it once was.

So download and use Mozilla.:smileywink: