Contributor
jsbreard

EMail missing from inbox

Day before yesterday I checked my email as I do every day and found that all of the read email I had left in the inbox was gone.  It was not sent to trash or another folder.   I would like to know how I can get these messages back as some of them contained information I need now.

Email Expert
JR071702

Re: EMail missing from inbox

If your e-mail is disappearing from the Inbox and you are not running an e-mail client that would be downloading the messages from the e-mail server, then you should immediately change your password and make it a "strong" password.

This will prevent any e-mail client from continuing to "pop" your Comcast Inbox.

Here is a link to a Microsoft article called Strong passwords: How to create and use them which is good reading on the subject.

I imagine the question 'How did they get my password', has crossed your mind. Here is a good link with info on some of the way that passwords can be compromised:

http://www.filterjoe.com/2010/05/14/how-attackers-steal-passwords/

Note: Your Comcast email password is not stored on the Comcast email server. Comcast stores a mathematical representation of your combined email address and password. In the unlikely event that some was able to hack into the Comcast email servers, neither your email address nor password would be exposed.

JR

Contributor
klwjohns

So, no real answer was given here.  Is Xfinity willing to find out any information about the theft...ie the url of the thief.  I have the same problem.  All older emails have vanished.  Is there difinative proof that they were stolen, or is there another possibility within the Xfinity system?

Contributor
jsbreard

When did you notice your email was missing?

Email Expert
CCCarole

[ Edited ]

All-

In addition to JR's reply- Do go into XfinityConnect, click on Preferences, then click on Email on the left side.

A window will open.  Scroll down to the Email Deletion Schedule and check the number of days each Folder is set to automatically delete the messages from those folders.  While there, make any changes you wish to make to the schedule, and click on SAVE at the top of the window to save your changes.

Is it possible that your messages were deleted, based on the Schedule you had set?

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Contributor
klwjohns

Well, I recieved an email from Comcast/Xfinity, which suggested that I check my preferences.  I did that just now, and it appears that I had checked "Never" for the disposal of old messages.  I have already changed my password.  I did make decisions in for the disposal of spam and trash.

As for noticing them being gone, I watched them dissappear when I logged in around the first of October.  It was pretty ocvious since I had several hundred messages in my inbox, and only the last few days stayed, which didn't fill the page.

Contributor
jsbreard

CCCarole - I went to the preferences and looked to see what I had marked.  I had "Never" marked for removal from mailbox, and my email messages have never been deleted until I delete them.

Contributor
jsbreard

klwjohns ... the exact same thing happened to me.  I logged in and opened my mailbox and while I watched, the old messages disappeared.  Frustrating that no one can tell me where they are or what happened to them.

Contributor
klwjohns

I thought it was "interesting" too.  Either XFinity got hacked, and doesn't want to admit the problem, or I did.  I changed my password to a "strong one"  I have two secondary email accounts, neither of which suffered the same fate!

Fortunately, none of the mail I had fild in folders seems to be missing. (so far).

Visitor

Same thing Here. I just opened my email  Online and all of my 800 + emails are missing.  I have my preferences set to never delete.  I have a strong password. And find it hard to believe  all my email got hijacked. I need those emails.   Comcast was having trouble with email friday the 7th . Now we all have missing emails . What ??????

If anyone knows how to get them back Please, Post.

Email Expert
madylarian

What you all describe sounds exactly as if an email client is "popping" (downloading via pop mail server) your email.  Have you checked to make sure that you do not have any email programs (Windows Live Mail, Outlook, Thunderbird, etc.) or devices (Blackberry, iPhone, etc.) running?  At any rate, changing your password should solve the problem.

I would also like to point out that this problem is exactly why we keep recommending that you do NOT keep all your email in the inbox.  It's always wise to move email you want to keep into a folder created for that purpose.

mady

Honi soit qui mal y pense
New Visitor
scotchdun1

I started having this problem around the first of the month, too.  It turns out that all my mail was going into Outlook (which I never use).  So, the end result was that I could read my e-mail in Outlook, but I couldn't reply in Outlook.  Had to go to Xfinity to do that.  There is a setting you change in the setting in Comcast.  Mine has done this twice now.  I tried to write down the settings last time I was on the phone with a rep.  Don't ask me why - I'm not at all a tech, but just wanted to tell about my experience.  Plus, I HATE the new format.

Contributor
klwjohns

Well, I DID have my emails sent from my main email account to my Mobile android.  When I changed my password, nothing comes across, which I actually sort of like.  I don't use the Google system, even though I must have an account there to "store" part of my contact list.  Google is to invasive a data miner, in my opinion.  If I text to the contacts on my "google list" the texts bounce.  Anyway, my messages may have gone to outlook as well, but if they did, they are staying  here because I like simplicity, and outlook isn't that to me. 

I do not think Comcast/Xfinity did themselves any favor in this "upgrade". 

We all should get a buck back from Comcast for every email they moved/lost.........   do I hear a yessssssss??

New Visitor
scotchdun1

Yes, you do hear a "YES"!!!

Email Expert
JR071702

So you both started up an e-mail client (Outlook) whose default behavior is to remove e-mails from the server after downloading.  (By the way, the setting to leave them on the server is contained in your e-mail client - not on the Comcast server.)

And the messages were downloaded by your e-mail client onto your computer.

And now you want Comcast to pay for that happening?    I don't think so.   Comcast did not start the e-mail client up.   You both did.

JR

New Visitor
scotchdun1

Well, mine just started mysteriously.  I admit that, after the first time it was "fixed", I e-mailed a reply to a CraigsList ad (which, as you know, goes directly through Outlook) and I assumed that is why the setting changed the second time (for a still unknown reason).  But, you don't have to be snarky about it.... I plead ignorance, being not a 14-year-old.

Contributor
jsbreard

to madylarian:  I appreciate your thoughts but I do not have any other email programs and my password was recently changed to a more secure password.  In addition, I have about 20 folders in which I archive old messages.  The 10 or so I had in my inbox were less than 2 months old and were relevant to current business.  Something has obviously gone wrong with xfinity's email service and no one is doing anything about it.

Contributor
jsbreard

to JR071702:  I had already recently changed my password to a more secure one and have no other email clients.  So now what?

Visitor

I do have outlook as my email client and i have been using it for many years. It is configured to leave my emails on the server and never delete those emails. Until friday  (when I logged in to comcast email online from my laptop and received a message- email server not reponding  please try back later )  all of my messages as stated before where there. More than 800 emails.  The next time I logged in they were gone. They are not in my outlook and Do not try to tell me it is my fault they are missing. If something went wrong with the email server at comcast. Just say we are sorry and go forward. Things in life happen . But do not try to blame those of us by sayng it is our  fault.

Contributor
klwjohns

I had my andriod phone (carrier, Sprint) set up sending a copy of my emails to my phone.  I do not use Outlook in any way, shape or form, unless this mysteriously happened, or I am not tech savvy enough to understand this.  Whenever I click those links that are "contact me" links, and windows outlook comes up, it tells me that I am not configured to do this.  

I changed my password in Comcast/Xfinity,(since my password was not "strong" enough after this happened) and was reminded that I need to do that as well "for my mobile" but I have as yet to figure out how to accomplish that task.  No place on my phone, that I can find allows me to do this.  If there is a tie in from the Comcast side, it is in no way, intuitive or apparent tome.

Anyway, I have not died from the loss...........but I am considering changing who I purchase internet service from, or if I even do!  After all, I do have an android.......

Contributor
klwjohns

Interesting thing......I checked yesterday on my account page, and I had two "new" email addresses added as "secondary?" addresses that I didn't put there.

I deleted them.   I do keep two email addresses on my account that I use on a regular basis, and they did not seem to get "hacked" (old emails lost)

New Visitor
Bears1Fan2014

I have been having the same problems as well since last week. Email will appear in my inbox. Later in the day I will close Outlook 2007 and open either later that day or the next and all of the emails in the inbox are gone. Not found in the delete box or any other location. I had some very important emails and now they are gone.