Visitor

Email Backup

Hello

I hope I haven't in error post this twice. Here is the problem, I am trying to maintain a copy of my email on comcast while still receiving it on outlook. does anyone know how to set this up or is it even possible.

Thanks in advance.

Joe

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Email Backup

JoeLatos wrote:

Hello

I hope I haven't in error post this twice. Here is the problem, I am trying to maintain a copy of my email on comcast while still receiving it on outlook. does anyone know how to set this up or is it even possible.

Thanks in advance.

Joe

You don't say what version of OutLook but in general, email clients have a setting to leave a copy of email on the server. Find this setting in your version of OutLook and set it.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

Open Outlook. Click Help/Contents and Index.

When Help opens, Search tab.

Type in leave copy of messages on server.

List topics.

Double click the entry.

Instructions will appear on the right side of Help.

A program's help files are a great resource for finding out something about that program.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Contributor
Visitor

Hi, Joe. Yes, under most circumstances it is.

Here's the way to do it:

In Outlook Express, click on the "Tools" menu and select "Accounts."
Click on the "Mail" tab.
Click on the Comcast account so that it is "highlighted."
Select the "Properties" button to the right.
Click on the "Advanced" tab.
Near the bottom of that window, you will see a checkbox with the words "Leave a copy of messages on server" next to it. Check this box. Do NOT check the two options that appear underneath it that begin with the words: "Remove from server..."
Click on "Apply"
Then click on "OK," which will return you to the "Accounts" window.
Then click "Close."

Your messages should now be left on the server when you use Outlook Express to access your account.

One important caution, however. You must also access your Comcast email preferences settings using your Web browser by accessing the "SmartZone" Web page for your account.*  Once there, select the "Preferences" tab. When that window opens, select the "Email" tab. Scroll down the page to the "Schedule EMail Deletion" section. Set the Inbox (Unread), Inbox (Read), and Sent Mail options to "Never." Then click the "Save" button, which should be located toward the upper left hand side of the page.

Now you should be fully covered.

I recommend that you check these settings from time-to-time, as I have occasionally had things like "automatic updates" to some applications reset preferences to the default settings.

Good luck!

*To access your "SmartZone" page, go to http://www.comcast.net/ and click the "Email" icon that appears in the upper left hand corner of that page.  That will probably redirect you to the log in page.  If it does, log in and it will take you to your "SmartZone" page from there.  If you are already logged in, it should take you directly to your "SmartZone" page.