Visitor
zdunk31
Accepted Solution

Email Settings for Android Phone

Need the incoming and outgoing mail settings for my HTC EVO.
Silver Problem Solver
reasd

Re: Email Settings for Android Phone

zdunk31 wrote:
Need the incoming and outgoing mail settings for my HTC EVO.

Hello,

Try these settings:

Comcast's email servers are POP3, the server name is mail.comcast.net.  You can use port 110 for plaintext email, or 995 with SSL for encrypted email (recommended).

For sending mail, the server smtp.comcast.net.  You can use port 25, 465, or 587.  With 587, you must have authentication, and I would recommend TLS (may be referred to simply as SSL as with many clients).

Visitor
zdunk31

TY, worked perfectly !
Contributor

I too have an HTC EVO, and my husband has an HTC EVO Shift.  We've had intermittent failures for months on outgoing mail. My present streak is over a week long now, using all the combos of 25, 465, 587 with security set to None,SSL,TLS.  Wireless On (Using both my Comcast Broadband and my employer's internet connection), Wireless Off (4G/3G). It seems to either work with ALL options or NONE.

Customer Service (over two calls) stated, among other things, 465 was WRONG (never recommended), must be Sprint, port 587 goes with security set to None, and for a day or so, both incoming and outgoing (even on my Win 7 laptop, using Thunderbird) was dead for all secondary email accounts. That turned out to be inadvertent suspension on their end from my first trouble call?

Sigh, in at least 3 occurances where we've gone as far as calling customer service, we've never gotten to the bottom of this. It used to work to change the port and security settings to 'something other than' what they were presently set at.  Not this time.  Outgoing on my phone still fails. 

(HTC EVO 4G/Android 2.3.3/Sprint)

New Visitor
williamoquendo

Leslie...I'm having the very same issue's (outgoing only)...with my LG....I'm convienced it's a comcast problem.

Contributor

I'm having the same problems. Played around with the different setting mentioned above. Had email workingfor a while then I changed something and it's not working now. Can't text either.

Sprint on new Motorola Photon.

Contributor
dtosh

I've been having recurring problems with incoming e-mail on my Droid2 Global (Verizon). After 15 months of working perfectly, the incoming mail suddenly stopped a couple of weeks back. After deleting and adding the e-mail account on my Droid2 (at Motorola's suggestion), the service was restored for a few days, up until last night (4/5/2012). As I do every night, I turned the phone off. This morning (4/6/2012), after I turned the phone on, the problem has reappeared. Is there something about the settings provided by Motorola for Comcast e-mail accounts (https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/55835) that's incorrect? Could there be some server issues at Comcast's end? Thank you.

New Visitor

I just had to re-set my Droid Razr MAXX and the Comcast settings for it have apparently changed recently -- it took the Comcast tech several tries to get it right! So for everyone's sanity here's what worked:

Incoming

mail.comcast.net

port: 995

use secure connection: Check

Use secure password (TLS): Never

Authentification: password

Outgoing:

smtp.comcast.net

port: 465

use secure connection: Check

Use secure password (TLS): Never

Authentification: None

Visitor

Here's the setting that work on my Razr Maxx:

Outgoing server settings:

SMTP server:                smtp.comcast.net

Username                     WhatYouUse@comcast.net

Password:                     your password

Advanced Settings:

Port                                           465

Use Secure Connection            Check this box

Use Secure Password              Never

Authentication                           Auto

Good Luck

New Visitor

Obviously neither one of you are using ICS, because the security setitings are not the same. Post your settings when you have ICS installed on the phone.

New Visitor
Designer71

Thank you, worked like a charm:smileyblush:

New Visitor
bradbray

This was super helpful.  I am posting the settings for Comcast email on the T-Mobile MyTouch 3G Slide that work for my wife and me since many of the categories are a bit different.  Comcast could not really help.  Neither could T-Mobile.. They have an 'engineers ticket' to call me back in 3-6 days -- but we figured this out in the interim.

We spent lots of time on this so hope this will save time for others...!!:smileylaugh:

First, type in email address name@comcast.net

Incoming:

Protocol:  POP

Email Address:  name@comcast.net

username: name@comcast.net -- our user name does not include 'comcast.net' normally but does here

Password: your password here

POP Server: mail.comcast.net

Security Type: SSL

Server Port: 995

Outgoing Server settings

Login Required:  check this box

Username: name@comcast.net

Password: type your password here

SMP server: smtp.comcast.net

Security Type: SSL

Server port: 465

Account name: add your account name

Your name:  your name or email address

that should work for you - hope it does!!

Visitor
kayehoward

MY SAMSUNG GA LAXEY S 3 HAS THE RIGHT SETTINGS OF 465 AND 995 BUT WHEN IT CHECKS SETTING IT SAYS SERVER NOT RESPONDING.  THE GMAIL WORKS FINE.  WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE COMCAST SERVICE?  WHAT SHOULD I DO NOW?  HOWARD MCINTOSH IN SEDONA, AZ.  HELP

Email Expert
CCCarole

kayehoward wrote:

MY SAMSUNG GA LAXEY S 3 HAS THE RIGHT SETTINGS OF 465 AND 995 BUT WHEN IT CHECKS SETTING IT SAYS SERVER NOT RESPONDING.  THE GMAIL WORKS FINE.  WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE COMCAST SERVICE?  WHAT SHOULD I DO NOW?  HOWARD MCINTOSH IN SEDONA, AZ.  HELP

You live in my favorite part of the United States :smileygrin:

Do you have SSL on for both Settings on your phone?

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Visitor
kayehoward

YES, I HAVE FULL COMCAST SERVICE WITH TWO EMAIL ACCOUNTS.  MY SETTING ARE BOTH SSL.  I AM USING ATT WIFI AT THE RESORT AND GMAIL WORKS FINE.  I HAVE DOLPHIN FOR THE BROSER ON THE PHONE.  NO RESPONCE FROM THE COMCAST SERVER ON OUTGOING FAILED MESSAGES.  PASSWORDS ARE THE SAME ON BOTH EMAIL ACCOUNTS.  TRIED TO SEND PHOTOS OF THE

'RED ROCKS' TO THE KIDS BUT FRUSTRATED.   HOWARD

New Visitor

Same here. Comcast server just stopped responding. Sounds too much like Apple, gonna have to get rid of it. I think the idiots at comcast again changed something without caring to notify people. 

I'm getting rid of their crappy overpriced service, but still need to connect in the meantime. Somehow.

Visitor
kayehoward

WHAT DOES   'ADD TAG' MEAN AS A REPLY TO MY PROBLEM. 

New Visitor

Port 25 fixed it!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

New Visitor
nfrick

I can't connect my cell phone to comcast e-mail account. I have a Samsung Galaxy Stratosphere II. We I try to set up my account my phone can't find the server or the server won't reply. Please advise what to do

New Visitor
millerscan

I've tried all the ports from previous recommendations, with all combinations of security type settings on my wife's Samsung Stratosphere. Every time I get the message:

"Setup could not finish. Server not responding. (java.net. SocketTimeoutException: Connection timed out)"

Here's where I'm pulling my hair out - it works perfect on my Motorola Droid Razor Maxx using these settings:

smtp.comcast.net

port 465

security type SSL

Authentication Method - Plain (didn't see this option on my wife's Stratosphere)

username: myname@comcast.net

password: mypassword

Does anyone have feedback setting up outgoing email on Comcast specific to the Samsung Stratosphere?

New Visitor
argandnag

my e-mail is not coming into my htc evo design.  this just started4 days ago. my e-mail is coming into my pc  help

New Visitor
argandnag

I don'tknow how to impliment these directions

New Visitor
Djohn83

I have the Samsung S5 using Verizon and my comcast email will work for awhile than quit. I have do delete the account than add it back. It will than work for a week maybe longer. But it will fail again. I have 2 comcast email accounts. One will work when the other one quits. They both will stop but at differant time.

My settings are just as most have listed.

New Visitor
lglscty

Tried all 3, 25 465 and 587 with SSL and still cant send mail. This problem just started out of the blue. One day it was working, the nect it wasnt
New Visitor

Outgoing settings for Samsung Note 4 Port 587, TLS now my outgoing e-mail works with those settings on COMCAST.