Contributor
mvan22
Accepted Solution

Email not forwarding from Comcast

I want to forward specific email from my Comcast account, as it arrives, to my Gmail account.  Using SmartZone I set up a filter to forward the emails.  When I run the filter to test it, it warns me with an Informational message “One or more of the selected filters contains an action to “Forward To Address”.  This action cannot be run on current filters and will be ignored.”  Of course when I continue to run the filter it fails and “0” actions are taken.

May be related - when I manually forwarded the email, the header arrived but not the text (it is a text message). I have the preference “include original message” when Forwarding selected.  I added the “other” email account in the Comcast email manager hoping that would bridge the gap. No luck.

I also found a settings page from Comcast Customer Central, Users and Settings that allowed me to activate email forwarding.  No luck.

Can you tell I have run out of ideas?

Any help appreciated.

Email Expert
CCCarole

Re: Email not forwarding from Comcast

[ Edited ]

Forwarding specific email only does require using a ffilter, but perhaps you are trying to be too specific with the criteria?  Can you post back & tell us what criteria you are using,etc. in the filter?

Instead of using an email filter can you fforward all & leave a local copy on smartzone?   But I do understand you want to forward only specific email messages.

Are you the Primary and signing in with the Primary Username and password?  If you want to forward all your email from Smartzone to G-Mail, here are the steps again below.  Now- We have noted that if you are paying your bill online, for some reason, if there is only one Username set up (Primary only) The bill does not seem to forward.  We have already reported this & are currently waiting for an explanation/resolution.

Can you clarify that you are: 1) Signed in with the Primary when attempting to forward email from the Primary to Gmail- And that you sign off, and sign in with the Secondary to forward email from that Username to your Gmail account?

If you are not sure which Usernames are currently associated with your account:  click on this link: 

Comcast.net User Name Lookup (clickable link)    

This will bring up a tool that you can use to see all usernames associated.  You must be at home, and you must enter your home phone number when prompted to use this tool.

To forward from Smartzone:

Open Smartzone & click on Preferences

Click on Email

A window Opens entitled "Settings managed on Comcast.net"

Choose 'Auto Forward' from the blue links and click on Auto Forward

A window opens for you to enter your password again

Now you are redirected to Customer Central and a window should open over that, which is "Edit Email Forwarding'

Tick the box to enable Email forwarding

Type in the email address you want your email forwarded to

Optional: Tick the box to 'Keep a local copy'

Click on Save

Close your browser, and reopen it. 

Send yourself a test message & see if it is in Gmail.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Contributor
mvan22

Thanks for the quick response.

I am using the primary account.  I do not have a secondary account.  The filter seems to fail before it even "runs" (when I test it) since the Informational message informs me that the "forward to" will not work.  When the filter runs it fails with zero emails processed.  It looks like a failure of the forwarding versus the criteria.  I am trying to forward Comcast's eBill notification so that may be the issue.  My criteria is that the address must "contain" versus match and the same for the subject.  Comcast's eBill always has the same address and subject so it should work.

Email Expert
CCCarole

mvan22 wrote:

Thanks for the quick response.

I am using the primary account.  I do not have a secondary account.  The filter seems to fail before it even "runs" (when I test it) since the Informational message informs me that the "forward to" will not work.  When the filter runs it fails with zero emails processed.  It looks like a failure of the forwarding versus the criteria.  I am trying to forward Comcast's eBill notification so that may be the issue.  My criteria is that the address must "contain" versus match and the same for the subject.  Comcast's eBill always has the same address and subject so it should work.

I wonder if the issue is infact, that you are trying to forward the Comcast eBill and only have one Comcast Username/email address set up..  I can't test since I don't use eBilling. This is what I mentioned previously- I think that Comcast may require that your eBill goes to a Comcast Username.... and possibily to the Primary, Unless you have a Secondary username set up in Comcast that is unrestricted.

I will see if we can get an answer for you, so watch this Thread for a response by the Administrators, OK?

CC

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)

Contributor
mvan22

Thanks for staying with this.  The Comcast eBill notification email looks like any other email but it may have some specific coding to  direct it to Comcast's email accounts.  The real world is that most people have more than one email account.  I use Gmail as my account of choice.  I only log onto Comcast email once per month usually to pick up this bill.  I was trying to simplify things and send the bill to my Gmail account.  I don't really want to forward all my Comcast email to Gmail.  

I will keep an eye on this thread.

Email Expert
CCCarole

I understand totally. Unlike me....  :smileygrin:I use Outlook 2007,2003, Outlook Express, Windows Live Mail, and Smartzone.... Only because I try to help out & test with those email clients. 

Happy Thanksgiving!

CC

Email Expert

I just created a filter that forwards messages with a specific subject to my work email, and it worked fine.

The message you're seeing just indicates that forwarding filters can't be run manually with the 'Run Filter" button. They only work during normal email delivery.

If you have multiple filters, the order of them can be significant. If a message matches multiple filters, and any of them have the "Do not process additional filters" box checked, that will prevent later matches from operating. Try moving your forwarding filter towards the top of the list using the "Move Up" button in the filter list.

Contributor
mvan22

Interesting.  I use Outlook 2007 and Windows Live Mail to download from my Gmail account.  I didn't want to clutter my Outlook inbox with Comcast mail but that may be an option.

Since I wrote the original comment something has happened.  For some reason recently arriving emails in my Comcast email box have appeared in my Gmail/Outlook email box even though they don't match my filter criteria.  For example the one that just notified me that you had replied was sent to my Comcast account and just appeared in my Outlook mail box.  The filter is set to act if the address contains: Comcast_Paydirect@comcast.net and the subject contains: “Comcast Statement Ready for viewing” However the email had a FROM address of : Community Mailer [mailer@lithium.com] and a subject of: “Comcast Help and Support Forums Subscription: 1 Update: Re: Email not forwarding from Comcast”.  Maybe the filter is being overridden by the other selection I made by selecting “Allow email forwarding” on the customer settings page?

I am still interested in hearing the response from Comcast. 

Email Expert

I don't know why the forum notification got forwarded by that filter. However, there are other threads where customers have reported not being able to forward Comcast's bill emails. It appears that the Comcast mailer treats them specially.

We haven't gotten any explanation of this from Comcast yet.

Contributor
mvan22

Barmar, I think you may have hit the solution.  I expected the filter to find "old" emails already in the inbox that matched the criteria and send them when I hit "run".  It appears that it is only arriving emails. It sort of invalidates the real value of the "run" feature to test the filter for forwarding.  I tested the feature with a dummy email/filter and it worked.  Now I'll have to wait for my next Comcast bill and see if the filter works.

Thanks for your help.  

Thanks to CCCarole also for staying with this. 

Email Expert

Most types of filters can be tested with Run Filter, but not forwarding filters. I think this is because forwarding filters require the SMTP server, but when you're running filters maually you just have the SmartZone client available, and all it can do is move messages around and delete them.

Retired Administrator
CC_Dete

Our engineers have corrected the billing notification forwarding issue. Please check the post here -http://forums.comcast.net/t5/E-Mail-Help-Forum/Messages-from-comcast-are-not-forwarded/td-p/824347

Just 'Dete'
Retired Help Forums Admin
Email Expert
CCCarole