Bronze Star Contributor
Accepted Solution

Email sitting in outbox in Outlook

My emails are sitting in Outbox and I keep clicking Send and Receive all and it still is sitting there. This seems to happen to me periodically.  My settings are correct so its it a universal problem this morning or is there something else I need to look into. No error message, I can receive email fine just can't send a message.  Thanks.

Email Expert
CCCarole

Re: Email sitting in outbox in Outlook

carol32353 wrote:

My emails are sitting in Outbox and I keep clicking Send and Receive all and it still is sitting there. This seems to happen to me periodically.  My settings are correct so its it a universal problem this morning or is there something else I need to look into. No error message, I can receive email fine just can't send a message.  Thanks.

Carol,

Please post which port you are using for smtp, if you have SSL ON, and SPA off?

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Bronze Star Contributor

Incoming port 995, Outgoing 587 SSL ticked on both.  SPA is off.  I think this is correct. Thanks for the help

Email Expert
CCCarole

Carol, Try 587 with SSL OFF,  & also can try 587 with TLS ON- post back the results please.  I use Outlook 2007  with Pop3-995 SSL On, SMTP 465 with SSL ON.

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)

Bronze Star Contributor

I tried that, didn't work.  Also changed setting on outgoing to 465, didn't work either. Messages still sitting in OUtbox.

Email Expert
CCCarole

Carol,

It looks as though we will need to report your issue (which I will do now) :smileysad: A couple of suggestions in the meantime.  Can you delete the outgoing messages from your Outbox?  If you can't- Close Outlook, disconnect your cable long enough to delete the outgoing messages.  If you cable connection is disrupted this way, Outlook will fail when you open it.  Then you should be able to delete those Outbox messages.

Maybe that will clear up the problem... A long shot, but thinking maybe there could be a problem with one of the messages in your Outbox? Post back again please.

Bronze Star Contributor

Yes, I can delete messages so I guess you will have to report it.  Thans so much for your help.

Email Expert
CCCarole

[ Edited ]

Carol, One last thought- You don't have more then one Profile set up do you?  If yes, check the setttings in each Profile.  I have reported your issue, but I doubt that anyone will see it until Monday.

Bronze Star Contributor

What do you mean profile?  Where would that be set up?  If you mean Outlook profile, I only have one.  If you mean Comcast.net I only have one. 

Email Expert
CCCarole

carol32353 wrote:

What do you mean profile?  Where would that be set up?  If you mean Outlook profile, I only have one.  If you mean Comcast.net I only have one. 

Yes Carol, I did mean your Outlook Profile.  When referring to Comcast, we refer to the Primary and/or Secondary accounts (email addresses)  In Outlook Express, they are referred to as an 'Identity'. :smileywink:  If the settings in one Profile are different then the settings in another Profile you have problems.  Which is why I asked you.

CC

Bronze Star Contributor

My son indicated that he received that email that still shows it is sitting in my Outbox.  Another mystery.  So it would seem I am sending emails through Outlook but it doesn't indicate it to me by moving it to the Sent folder.  Odd.

Email Expert
CCCarole

Carol,

i would still suggest that you delete messages that are still sitting in your outbox of Outlook to see if that clears up the sending problem. 

Bronze Star Contributor

I sent some messages and they go through without a hitch now.  Seems whatever was wrong corrected itself.  I too have had problems on and off lately with Outlook.  Thanks for your help and I guess there is no solution available to give to other users since it seems to be either a Microsoft or Comcast issue and goes away on its own. 

Bronze Star Contributor

Oh and I forgot, the messages did not go through until hours after I tried to send them.

Email Expert
CCCarole

Carol,

I don't think you've said- which version of Outlook do you use?  Also, if you can get the full header from someone you sent to but delayed (as you mentioned)and copy/paste it here. One of the Mods can take a look & maybe can see why the delay occurred.  If you paste the full header, do remove the beginning portion of any/all email addresses that show in the header, leaving only the domain name.  (Eg: xxx@comcast.net)

So we are current, please also post which ports,SSL on/off you are using now and is working.  Thanks, CC

Bronze Star Contributor

I'm sorry but I deleted all those posts so I can't post the headers.  I have Outlook 2007.  My settings match the instructions here to a T.  Ports 995, 587 SSL on(ticked), SPA off, SMPT on (ticked).  Also TSL checked for encrypted connection. Hope I got that right  Thanks again for the help.

Email Expert
CCCarole

carol32353 wrote:

I'm sorry but I deleted all those posts so I can't post the headers.  I have Outlook 2007.  My settings match the instructions here to a T.  Ports 995, 587 SSL on(ticked), SPA off, SMPT on (ticked).  Also TSL checked for encrypted connection. Hope I got that right  Thanks again for the help.

Carol, I have been using Outlook 2007 for years.  I use Outlook 2007  with Pop3-995 SSL On, SMTP 465 with SSL ON. 

Under the Server tab:  Checked: "My Outgoing server" and "Use same settings as my incoming server"

Bronze Star Contributor

What is the difference in using 587 or 465 for outgoing.  I tried both and they both work.  Is 465 better?

Email Expert
CCCarole

No, not better- just a different port to the best of my knowledge.  Use whichever one is working for you. :smileygrin:

In Outlook 2010, there does seem to be a difference tho ,in which ports are used.  (Don't want to confuse you or other Users who may be using 2010.

Bronze Star Contributor

Oh ok, thanks again for all the help.  You people are the greatest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Merry Christmas,  Carol

Email Expert
CCCarole

From one Carole to another Carol- Merry Christmas!

Carole Santa Merry Christmas  SMALL.JPG