Contributor
trelane
Accepted Solution

Email suddenly slow

[ Edited ]

My email has been running very slowly for the last few days. This is happening at home, on Google Chrome and Firefox, with a high speed connection; at two work computers, using IE8 and Firefox respectively. I am not using any mail program, just the browser. 

This is not a browser cache issue, this is the only web app running at a crawl. Please advise. 

Silver Problem Solver
reasd

Re: Email suddenly slow

[ Edited ]

Hello,

1) What os and how much memory?

2) What add-ons (and/or plugins) do you have installed?

3) Do you have any virus (and/or) firewall software running? Which and which versions?

4) Do you have any toolbars installed?  Which and which versions?

5) Are you using xfinity lite or full?

6) What server are you on?

7) Have you tried clearing your browser cache and temp files?

8) Have you tried a different browser?

Contributor
trelane

Four computers, three locations, three different ISPs. Multiple answers to all of these, the problem began last week, the very day I upgraded from to Comcast Triple play and began using your modem. However, two of of the four computers in two of the three locations are also experiencing the issue. 

I do have 41% of my 10GB used, but that's not new. 

I am a software support director and teach basic troubleshooting. There is no reason for this slowdown at my end, kindly provide more than a scripted response? 

Thanks,

Ed

New Visitor
justin137

I am having the same problem over the last couple of days. Used two different computers and three different browser types. Have restarted the router multiple times, just to see if that would work. Still slow. Didn't upgrade to Comcast Triple Play or change service in any way, service just slowed down.

Contributor
Blind_Io

[ Edited ]

This has been happening for me for a few weeks too. It just all of a sudden after we got our new modem and internet speed increase (not sure if that has any connection).

It's very frustrating.

Contributor
tbarb

New to Comcast. Just joined 2 weeks ago.

Using Windows Explorer browser and Comcast email as my home page it takes 35-45 seconds to log on every time and each time I move between email accounts, and also each time I move back and forth between the mail accounts.  

I use email as my home page but other family members that use other sites to connect to for email also experience this delay when they first connect to the interent.

Comcast.net is the only website that has this delay when I try to log on or move between pages on the site. Any other website pops right up - after I am connected. but ten when I move back to Comcast I again get the delay. 60mbs and simple browser to connect and the delay really interupts the flow - my 1.5 mbs DSL was way faster!.

Other family members using other computers and other browsers (Firefox) have the same problem when they use Comcast to initally connect to the internet.

New Visitor
383loretto

What do we do to fix this problem?
Contributor
trelane

Reasd,

Are you noticing the other users' comments? Can you help us please? 

Email Expert
CCCarole

ALL-

I have notified the Forums Administrator of your posts.  Wtch for a reply please.

CC

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Contributor
trelane

Thank you, Carole.

Contributor
tbarb

Do you use XfinityConnect?    Yes

The Full or Lite version?          I believe full, I simply logged on and created the addresses after getting service

Do you use an email client?    No

Which browser/version do you use?     Windows Explorer Ver.9  64 bit

And- have you cleared your browser cache?  Yes, yes, yes, yes and more

Which operating system?        Windows 7

Details of the problem you are having.     Again, I use the Xxfinity website as a home page as I look for email several times a day on different addresses. It takes 30-45 seconds to connect occasionally longer, another 30-45 seconds to get to each address, then the same all over again when ever I come back to the Infinity site. Other visiting family members this past weekend have the same problem using different browers on different computers. It takes them that long to get going so it does not appear to be a individual computer or browser probem but more global on Xfinities end.  Other websites I go to pop up much faster but when I go back to Xfinity I get the same result - a  long wait.

I am doing this on a new computer that is operating flawlessly as far as I can see.  On the simplest way I know how to get my email from the windows explorer browser. I am anew cusotmer in the last 2 weeks and I see many reporting this problem  also are new or had a recent change or upgrade in your service.

All I can say so far is 'Blast' is no blast at any price and I have taken note of the 30 day policy. I hope you can fix it........  

Contributor
trelane

Downloaded some emails from the server, reduced the online portion to 28% of 10 GB, down from 41%. No real improvement. 

Received an error message today after clicking the View Email button, stating that the network closed the connection without providing any data. I've seen this before. 

Hello, Forum Leaders? 

Contributor
tbarb

There is no help here.

No communication with anyone that has anything to do with fixing a problem.

No apparent number to call except the sales dept to cancel on the website

I must admit I didn't see this coming after joining, thought they were a ISP leader

Email Expert
CCCarole

All-

I have once again notified the Administrator of your posts. :smileysad:

CC

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)

Administrator
ComcastLarry

Everyone-

The Email Engineers are looking into the slow intermittent issues in receiving emails.

Thank You

-ComcastLarry-
Contributor
Contributor

I am using Win 7, have done all the things that have been suggested to correct the problem but am still having slow email response plus ----when leaving email to go back to my home page which is comcast, I lose IE due to "error in the content".  IE restores the session but why did it lose it in the first place.This started about a week ago. I had a tech over here and he suggested getting rid of comcast's toolbar and security and use only Norton.

Contributor
tbarb

Other  tech service people have told me Comcast does not support Internet Explorer 9.0. ....they "are working on that".  Suggested as the problem here, but that does not explain Firefox versions which they say they do support has the same experience with slow log on and page changes.

Email Expert
CCCarole

C0 wrote:

I am using Win 7, have done all the things that have been suggested to correct the problem but am still having slow email response plus ----when leaving email to go back to my home page which is comcast, I lose IE due to "error in the content".  IE restores the session but why did it lose it in the first place.This started about a week ago. I had a tech over here and he suggested getting rid of comcast's toolbar and security and use only Norton.

Have you reset Internet Explorer?  Which version do you use please?

If you haven't already, I would suggest uninstalling the Comcast toolbar.  What AV do you use?  Comcast's Norton???

Email Expert
CCCarole

tbarb wrote:

Other  tech service people have told me Comcast does not support Internet Explorer 9.0. ....they "are working on that".  Suggested as the problem here, but that does not explain Firefox versions which they say they do support has the same experience with slow log on and page changes.

FWIW- I use Internet Explorer version 9 without issue, and also use Fitrefox Version 11 without issue too.

If you choose to, you can go back to Internet Explorer Version 8.

Which version of XfinityConnect do you use?  Full or Lite?

Have you tried accessing your email by using the m.comcast.net?  That is a very simple version to read email.

Contributor
Blind_Io

I'm using the Lite version of the site, Firefox 11.0, and Windows XP.

The odd thing is, it takes 30 seconds or so to enter my inbox, open/delete a mail, access my address book, etc. But I can delete emails instantly if I do it from the Inbox Preview window.

Contributor
Contributor

I have, I think, found the problem. Adobe downloaded an upgrade to their flash player.After disabling the most recent adoble flash player, it "seems" that I have corrected the interference between my Comcast home page and my email/website problems. I just searched new programs/apps that were downloaded during the time that the problem started. Luckily, I had only 2 to chose from.

Administrator
ComcastLarry

I've received some feed back from the Email team. For those having issues, are you able to run a speed test from your computer?

When a Care agent states "we don't support IE9" that simply means that our Care agents haven't been training on the particulars of that browser, NOT that Comcast doesn't recommend using IE9 (or any other browser).  You can use any browser you like and should expect that it works normally.  Calling in for support on a browser "we don't support" simply means we won't be able to help because of the technical issue with that piece of software.

Thank You

-ComcastLarry-
Contributor
tbarb

Speed test confirm near "Blast" speeds on comcast speed test as well as another sites speed test.

When i read the Adobe Flash Player idea above I jumped on it and unistalled Adobe Flash 11 recently installed. It did NOT help the slow log on to comcast.net with Internent Explorer.

I tried m.comcast,net and the log on was instant. that works OK. I would not want to use its small interface though with limited options to manage the messages. So this again seems to point to something on comcast.net that is the culprit. Something differentiated from m.comcast.net   

Contributor
trelane

Larry,

I will run a speed test later today. However, my problem did not start until I upgrade to the full package and your agent plugged in the new Comcast Modem, replacing mine. I do not use IE 9, I have not downloaded anything that I am aware of, and the only speed issue is for Comcast email.

It continues to happen on my home system AND on my work system, which runs IE8 and XP SP 3 over a T1. It is better at work, but not as fast as it used to be.

Clearly something has changed, but not on my end.

Contributor
Blind_Io

Similar to Trelane, this issue happened to me also after we got the new Comcast modem and high speed internet.

Visitor

I have had Comcast for over 10 years and I am a triple play subscriber.  I really like Comcast and have no horror stories in my Comcast past.  That said - I too recently started to have strange but on further analysis just slow email response.  Tonight I did a simple test that I think clearly shows a problem at Comcast.  You can try this yourself.

In Windows - go to the CMD prompt and enter:

ping comcast.net

and

ping comcast.com

In response to these pings you should see the name resolved to an ip address and then several ping responses.

The problem is the comcast.net ping times out while the comcast.com ping goes right through> these clearly demonstrates a problem at the comcast.net server.

From CMD prompt window:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601] Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Dad>ping comcast.net

Pinging comcast.net [76.96.39.102] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 76.96.39.102:     Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

C:\Users\Dad>ping comcast.com

Pinging comcast.com [69.241.45.4] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 69.241.45.4: bytes=32 time=35ms TTL=242

Reply from 69.241.45.4: bytes=32 time=36ms TTL=242

Ping statistics for 69.241.45.4:     Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss), Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:     Minimum = 35ms, Maximum = 36ms, Average = 35ms

Contributor
trelane

Ah, yup, exactly the same result.

Hey Admins, is anyone listening? The issue isn't going away.

Contributor
tbarb

This thread originally reported on 03-26 with this issue. On 04-17 a post finally showed up that "it is being looked into'. Weeks later a mod posts they got some feedback from the 'email team'  with no mention of what it was. The problem persists ...several posters have pointed out areas of commonality with other posters as to when the problem started and why the problem appears to reside on comcast.net servers yet no resolution, comment or reply has appeared.  Other areas of comcast customer service have been made aware of this issue and there has been no reply.

I had no idea when I signed up they were like this.  I'd be nuts to add any more service/services or bundle more. 

Visitor

One possibility is that Comcast has  diabled PING responce on the COMCAST.NET server which is a legitimate thing to do in networking but takes away the single most useful trouble shooting tool for testing network problems.  In my opionion disabling ping would be a technical and customer service mistake.

Come on Comcast - you have this forum, know about issuing soon reasonable answers.  If it is a server or network problem - I would rather hear that from you with an explanation of your resolution strategy before I loose faith and think the unthinkable - going to FiOS.  PLEASE

Contributor

Members and Administrators,

I just wanted to confirm what everyone posting on this thread has said that I too have had this frustrating problem with many aspects of using webmail (logging on, moving multiple files, deleting files, etc.).  I never thought to correlate it with the modem that was installed about 1 mos. ago. I've assumed the problem was with my hard drive going bad, having too little available hard drive space (25%) or using browsers that had gotten too bloated (I switched Firefox to Chrome with minimal speed improvement).  My speed tests seem similar to the old Comcast modem but in practice using the browser to do mail is painful.  I speed things up a little by using my 1 year old laptop instead of 4 y.o. desktop (Dell Inspiron N5010 vs. Dell Optiplex GX620).

I too would look forward to the solution to this problem.

RSS

Contributor
Blind_Io

[ Edited ]

What I find funny is that navigating the trash folder is still fast and normal, even though every other aspect of mailbox function (checking/writing/deleting mail, adding attachments and recipient addresses, sending mail) is still being agonizingly slow.

Given that the issue has been shown to be on Comcast's end, it'd be nice for some confirmation that they're aware of that instead of still under the impression it's because of 'user error' in some way.

New Visitor

It would appear that no one at Comcast is listening or cares about this topic.

I too have been seeing very slow response from the Comcast email servers on the receive end of the process. I use Outlook and have a number of email accounts configured including 3 at Comcast (don't ask). WHen I do a send/receive all of my accounts hosted at my web hosting ISP execute the send/receive almost immediately. All of the Comcast accounts take upwards of 30 seconds to complete the receive process.

This wasn't always the case... something changed somewhere along the line and no one seems to have a clue...

Contributor
trelane

I vote for "they know and haven't figured it out yet". 

New Visitor
Bdavis30127

I give you the prize. That's the best answer I've seen so far.

Contributor

Does anybody know of any viruses/malware that could be involved.  I have recently had a problem at my office with slow mail services when using Comcast webmail (in fact it usually doesn't work).  If I use web2mail no problem.  Other Internet functions are not a problem and my laptop which I have connected to the same modem (via ethernet or wi-fi) doesn't have problems.

I also may have problems with an hp printer which I had to reinstall.  The printer connection is fine, but the software that operates the scanner won't display.  Seems to be some type of Flash or Active X problem.

I regularly run Norton AV and Malwarebytes without problems.  I wonder if it's somethikng that's slipping under the radar.  Anybody with a better anti-virus option.

Contributor
Blind_Io

I've scanned with McAfee, MalwareBytes and SpyBot; nothing shows up.

Official Employee
cc_xc

Hello,

please send me a private message with the email address that is having the issue and I can take a look.

To send a private message, click on "cc_xc" then "send this user a private message".

Also include the following details:

Please post the following information in your post.

Regards,

CC_XC

Contributor

Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?       Yes full

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)   No.  Just webmail.

Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?  Firefox 11, IE 8.  Chrome most recent.  Same problem with each.  However, I don't have this problem with this laptop with Win 7 (even when connected to the same Ethernet connection (or wireless)). Multiple times.

Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X  XP.  SP 3

Details of the problem you are having.Can login to Comcast mail without much of a problem.  Trying to open mail with or without attachment takes 30-60 seconds.  Closing or sending mail is also very slow.  Sometimes it works fine, but usually not for an entire session.  Have done a speedtest and tracert without a difference between machines (both follow specs) yet when opening email its a different story.  I am running a new antiviral program (NAV and Malwarebytes show no problems).  Have even replaced my hard drive.  I don't know if I was lucky but I even carried my desktop over to my friends and plugged it into his router without a flaw.

Regards,

CC_XC

Contributor
trelane

Wow, FINALLY some official recognition!!

"We are aware of the issue you are experiencing concerning email loading pages slower then expected when you have voice services added in Xfinity Connect. We are actively working to make some changes to our internal systems to improve the performance."

New Visitor
Sqkyjnts

I tried the same Ping test and got the same result.

Contributor

To  cc_xc and other forum readers:

Is this a problem which we can help you solve?  Are there certain similarities that those of us have that might be responsible for this malfunction?  I hadn't considered that the Xfinity product was rolled out as part of the Triple Play that I purchased a year ago.  Is there something about having a modem that works for both the digital phone system and high speed internet that might be a problem.  I have updated all of my browsers in the last few months.  Is this not a problem with the older versions?  Is this only an XP problem.  I don't have it with my Windows 7 machine either wirelessly or through an Ethernet connection.

monkeyblair

Contributor
Blind_Io

This issue has been resolved for me for about a week now, is that the case for anyone else?

Contributor

I would agree.  I wish someone could provide some information.  I had stopped using my machine that was so slow and was just about to switch to gmail by keeping my comcast address and forwarding.

RSS

Contributor
trelane

Yup, mine has magically fixed itself. 

Thank you, unseen Comcast pixies

New Visitor
jerry1409

My email has been running very slowly for the last few days. This is happening at home, on Google Chrome and Firefox, Response to Internet, other programs fine only happening on e-mail

New Visitor

Re: Email suddenly slow[ New ]

Hello,

please send me a private message with the email address that is having the issue and I can take a look.

To send a private message, click on "cc_xc" then "send this user a private message".

Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?  Full

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.) no, just webmail

Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?  Firefox 11 (yes, I cleared it), IE 8 (no, I didn't clear it because I usually don't use IE)

Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X  XP

I have excruciatingly slow email in Comcast via Mozilla Firefox.  Browsing is fine and fast.  I called technical support at Comcast, and they couldn't help me after trying several things including uninstalling and reinstalling Mozilla.  Initially, IE didn't work either, but he got it to work fast in the end.  So, now I check email via IE, but I really don't like browsing via IE.  Help!

Thanks.

Christine

Regards,

CC_XC

Contributor

Join the group Jerry.  We have been posting about this mysterious phenomenae for almost 5 mos. and at least a few of us are suddenly noticing improvement.  Do you have Comcast voice or triple play?  It seems there may be a link although there is no official word.

Bob

Contributor
trelane

I'm apparently functional again, but my issues started when I got Voice and upgraded to the Triple Play. Anyone w/ issues remaining, make this point if it applies to you. 

New Visitor
jerry1409

Not too tecky but I have the bundle phone, TV & internet if that's what triple play means.

Visitor

Why has my comcast email been running soooo slow the past few days.  I do not use Comcast Internet Service but I do pay to keep my Comcast Account which keeps saying "server busy".  I have access to my Comcast Email it just takes forever for the screens to load going from email to email.  Suggestions?  TY