New Visitor
Griffin765
Accepted Solution

Email won't send anymore

I have two comcast email addresses (one for personal, the other for business).  Both were set up identically four years ago and have been working fine.  

Yesterday, my personal address stopped sending, with emails sitting in the outbox.  It receives fine.  The business address, works fine in both directions too (that it, in and out).  

I have made no changes in four years.  Anyone know how this can be fixed?

Email Expert
CCCarole

Re: Email won't send anymore

[ Edited ]

Are you  using XfinityConnect or an email client?  Do you also have an email client configured?

This could be a problem with one of the emails you are trying to send.  I would move one at a time to a separate folder, then try sending the rest.  Keep doing this until you identify which email is causing the issue.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Contributor
Contributor

I have not RECEIVED email since 9/11. Comcast support said it would take 24 hours then the next Comcast person said 72 hours. I hired a tech. I am now received email but have received none of the previous 5 days of email.

I have Windows 7, Comcast. is my email provider and is my home page. I use IE 8.

New Visitor
Books_2

This happened to me today as well. To be able to send, I had to re-do my outgoing mail settings (I use Thunderbird), after it has worked fine for years. Be sure the port is 587. Once I switched that, it worked.

They did something that messed things up as I cannot download my email from my domain as of today, either. Changing the settings there has done no good as I have tried numerous options.

New Visitor
mattp53

Yup...they definitely screwed something up. I cannot send mail with attachments. It would be nice to be able to avoid sending from the Comcast servers when using an email client (without being blacklisted as spam).

Contributor
Contributor

My hired "Tech" got my email to start receiving; however, 5 days of email has not been recovered. Have received 3 FORM letters from Comcast, asking the same questions, even though I have given them the answers on the 2nd email.

This seems to be what Comcast does-wear you down and hope you go away. Do they really look at these messages?

Email Expert
CCCarole

The Help Forums are monitored primarily by fellow Users.  If a Comcast employee replies in a post, you will see that his Username is always in red text.  If we ( the volunteers) are unable to help someone, we notify the Administrator.

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)

New Visitor
cjstieber

The exact same thing happened to me today. I'm able to receive just fine but when it comes to sending or replying to a message...I spent over an hour and a half on the phone with them being transferred from one group to the next to utterly useless support techs. Initially they tried blaming it on me saying that I was probably sending way too many emails. Seriously, I send maybe 3 every couple of days but they seemed insistent that I was sending over a thousand in a 24 hour period, then they thought that maybe someone had hijacked my account, then it came down to sending me up to the outside contracted company that fixes comcasts problems for money...payed by me, the user not the client. I was outraged! I'll admit, I raised my voice and asked to speak with the supervisor, which by the way did not care at all about assisting someone in need, only that they get paid for their services. I basically told them that they were crazy if they thought I was going to pay to fix BASIC services. I asked the supervisor to picture himself in my shoes...I'm paying about $180 month for my Comcast services and all of the sudden my email stops sending my messages out. Now why on Earth should I pay extra just to have my basic services restored? So if I were to decline the Tech supports payed assistance and now have a crippled service does that mean that I should pay Comcast less money per month due to arrive decrease or outage? Well though all my ranting and raving it did no good. The issue happened earlier today and by the time I was tranferred back to the main Comcast tech support the wait time was way too long so I figured I'd give it another crack tomorrow. In the mean time I did create an alternate username and password which works just fine. How stupid is that?

If someone has a real fix, please help. I've been a loyal Comcast customer for a long time now and the service has been great but every time I've had a prob it's been a disaster to fix.

Thanks for any possible advice/assistance,

Josh
Email Expert
CCCarole

Please post the full details on the problems. You are having.

Do you XfinityConnect? An email client? Be specific what you use, including the version.

What happens exactly when you try to access email?

If you are getting an error messages, please copy/paste the entire error message in your reply.

CC

New Visitor
kklapper1

[ Edited ]

I have this same problem, which started about three days ago.  I use Microsoft Outlook 2010, and have been using it for quite some time.   As with previous posters, I receive email with no problems.  Mail that I send still goes into my outgoing email folder, then just sits there, unable to be sent successfully.  Outlook does indicate that it is in the process of sending, and I cannot open the email messages because Outlook says transmission is in progress.   But it never completes, and no error message is returned --- no matter how long I wait.  

I have not changed any email settings;still use smtp.comcast.net as my outgoing mail server.   I have not changed any port configurations, and have not recently installed any new software or hardware.

Operating system is Windows 7.   I use both Firefox 19.0.2 and IE9, although I don't think that's really relevant since I'm using Outlook as my email tool.

Correction:   Outlook does eventually report the following error:
Task 'kklapper1@comcast.net - Sending' reported error (0x80042109) : 'Outlook cannot connect to your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

Is "smtp.comcast.net" no longer valid?

Email Expert
CCCarole

Please read this THREAD then click on your version of Outlook for the full directions for changing Port settings.  Note that in addition to changing posts, you also will need to enable SSL with Port 465 and must check the box, This server requires authentication. Do NOT check SPA(Secure password authentication)

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/E-Mail-and-Xfinity-Connect-Help/Port-Change-Notification/m-p/1470331#U1...

New Visitor
JosephPingel

[ Edited ]

Within the last 7 days my wife's email account stopped sending and receiving.  All the email account parameters are the same as the other 4 comcast email accounts we have.  The other 4 work just fine. 

The servers are recognized, but she cannot log on to either the mail or smtp servers.  We use Outlook 2003 which Comcast doesn't support.  It doesn't matter, Outlook 2003 isn't the problem.  I install my wife's email account on my computer and the same thing happens.  It finds the servers just fine but won't let her log in. 

I'm an IT guy and was on the phone with a couple Comcast support techs yesterday for over an hour.  The passwords EVERYWHERE are confirmed and all the varied port settings and checkmarks have been entered and exhausted and still; no logon. 

Whose problem is it when the servers are recognized but one cannot log into their account?  One that has logged in just fine for the last 8 years with no problems, up until a week ago?  This has happened sporatically on my other accounts as well but eventually cleaned themselves up. 

"Eventually" however, is not a good time frame when you've got to get an important email account back up.   Is there anybody at Comcast that can look into this or does anyone have an answer other than "get another service?"

http://keyeduppiano.blogspot.com

New Visitor
Griffin765

I use an iPhone and its standard email app. Been that way for years. My original post issue still stands so if anyone has any ideas it would be appreciated.
Bronze Problem Solver

JosephPingel wrote: 
It finds the servers just fine but won't let her log in. 

What's the exact error message?

New Visitor
cjstieber

I think I figured out my issue...not sure why it happened but how I resolved it was to delete my email from our iPhones, reset them, then reinstall the email address on each phone. Viola! Like I said, not sure why it malfunctioned but this resolved the issue for me
New Visitor
cmmartin

My email quit sending sometime in the last week.  I receive just fine, but can't send.  The error message is:

0x8004210B

I've unplugged my router and rebooted my computer and that didn't work.

Please help!

Email Expert
CCCarole

cmmartin wrote:

My email quit sending sometime in the last week.  I receive just fine, but can't send.  The error message is:

0x8004210B

I've unplugged my router and rebooted my computer and that didn't work.

Please help!

Please post the ENTIRE error message you are getting.

What are you using for email?  Name and version please?

CC

New Visitor
cmmartin

Task 'mail.comcast.net - Sending' reported error (0x8004210:smileycool:: The operation timed out waiting for a response from the sending (SMTP) server.  If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or internet service provider (ISP).

I use Outlook 2003.

Thank you!

Email Expert
CCCarole

Have you changed your Port settings for Outlook 2003?  See this clickable link.

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/E-Mail-and-Xfinity-Connect-Help/Port-Change-Notification/m-p/1470331#U1...

THIS link contains the recommded settings to use for Outlook 2003.

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/configure-outlook-2003-xfinity-email

CC

New Visitor
cmmartin

We haven't changed anything.  The only thing new is a new printer.  I'll check out the links, though.  Thanks!

New Visitor
cmmartin

That linked helped!  Some of the settings were different than what was in that link, so I changed them and it's working now.  Thanks!

Email Expert
CCCarole
Regular Contributor

Let's face it, Comcast has had MAJOR issues since merging with Time Warner. I have a client who cannot send either anymore. Mail 'times out'. NOTHING is wrong with her computer. Mail is set up the same as it was before the merger, password is correct, permissions all set and HD in good condition. Why won't Comcast admit it's them not her? She can receive mail but all replies and new mail will not go out, server 'times out'.